Brekle's Brown - Anchor Brewing Company

good

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-07-2011

Single hopped with Citra.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 776 | Reviews: 285

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Brown Ale? I guess so. Pours a beautifully dark ruby/garnet with great clarity. Two fingers beige mocha head with good retention. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Roasty malt, some malt chocolate and cocoa. Seriously, smells like an unbaked chocolate cake. Some dried darkened fruit. Woody, with some vanilla notes.

T: Moderately deep roasted flavors. Slightly burnt bread, roasted chocolate. Fairly subdued and bland until the finish, when the roasted notes really take off. The bitterness of the Citra hops comes into play in the finish as well.

M: Great. Smooth, low played carbonation keep this beer smooth as silk. It really does glide across the palate.

O: I'm pretty underwhelmed by this beer. Looks, smells and feels great, but is definitely lacking in the flavor department. Not to say it's bad by any stretch, but compared to the other brews, I'm not overly impressed.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this one right after some food and so may need to try it again clean. But the unexpected and interesting flavor note I got was pear. I'm accustomed to a tart/sour element in a lot of American browns at this point but usually it's a citrus element. From the first smell of this one, I got straight up pear. It's the mild sourness and fragrance of a pear and the same thing appeared on the palate. That was really all I noticed in fact. I wonder if that's my impression of the citra hops, which I don't think I've had before. That's not how they're described, but that's all I got. I didn't get much complexity out of this beer aside from that unusual and pleasant flavor element.

I'll do this again with my second bottle soon. If nothing changes, I'll call this a decent beer that I'd be happy to drink if you served it to me but which I would bypass buying myself in favor of more interesting options.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz bottle into tulip. not sure what these markings mean, but i dont think this is too old.

A: opaque dark mahogany hued brew. head is white with a serious brownish tint to it. retention is good as is the lacing. sticky. good looking brew.

S: sweet smells from both the malt and the citra hop. aroma reminds me a little bit of an ESB. but beefed up. sweet, caramel and pleasant.

T: loads of sweet caramel flavors. the citra flavor comes through in the finish. lingers with bitterness. the hop flavor adds a nice level of complexity.

M: very moderate carbonation level feels very natural.

D: i enjoyed this brown a lot. well made brew from a brewery that doesnt have an overwhelming portfolio. cool brown with a cool story. worth grabbing if you can find it.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours dark, translucent burgundy in color with an ample, caramel-colored head. Aroma smells of fresh grapefruit and caramel; quite nice. The flavor matches the smell, but I fear the Citra hops may be overbearing. The caramel malt is still there, but it's well overshadowed by the citric flavors. I'd normally prefer these hops to most if they weren't so dominant, but the balance just isn't there. I'm also tasting a slight metallic twinge on the finish. Not at all what I was expecting from a brown ale. Maybe worth trying if you're looking for something different, but not a brew I'd seek out for pure enjoyment.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ruby and cola colored brew. Quick bone colored head. Nice bubbling.

Roasted malt and bready sweet aroma. Pumpernickel aroma. A little dry.

Super toasty and medium roasty bread crust. Full on malt through and through. Chalky, powdery palate. Dry, but easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

I hadn't seen this anywhere locally until seeing it as Whole Foods Raleigh a week or so back. Anchor is usually good for something a little different. Big reddish brown color with an initial rush of big white head that leaves decent lace upon the descent. A little more clarity of body than I expected. Sweet malts and dark fruit in the nose. Plums or figs maybe.

Fairly low in carbonation but very quenching. Some nice hopping up front before the heavy caramel and mocha flavors more or less takeover. Relatively balanced in finish and overall very easy to put down. A slightly sour brown ale with some character.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled 11/9/2011. Pours slightly hazy reddish brown color with a nice 1-2 finger dense khaki head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Some slight spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of caramel, biscuit, molasses, toasted malt, herbal hop, pine, and light citrus. Some ok aromas, but there is some chemical-like off flavor noticeable. Taste of big caramel, biscuit, roasted nut, toasted malt, molasses, herbal hop, pine, and light citrus. Light bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, roasted nut, biscuit, citrus, and herbal on the finish for a short bit. Nice flavor balance with a good malt backbone. Medium carbonation and body; with a nice and fairly creamy mouthfeel. No alcohol warming noticed at all; very smooth to drink. Overall this is a fairly nice and enjoyable brown ale. Nice malt backbone as I like in brown ales; and very smooth to drink.

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger head. Very fluffy and thick bubbles. Long retention. Fluffy lacing. Ruby-walnut color.

S- Nut brown, toasty malt scent. Wonderful smell.

T- Warm malts. Some darker fruits. Very smooth flavor.

M- Thick body and absolutely clean finish.

O- I'm amazed how much I like this beer. Would buy again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brekle's Brown from Anchor Brewing Company