Brekle's Brown - Anchor Brewing Company

good

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-07-2011

Single hopped with Citra.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: ruby shimmer/tan body, khaki finger head,
solid lacing

S: sweet malt, caramel, nutty

T: nutty, caramel, sweet malt,
mild ripe fruit smooth/oily finish

M: med body, mild/oily smooth mouth

O: Anchor delivers solid beers and this
is another one. Would get again.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

Abnormally high carbonation, but I can get past that. Crazy aroma, like chocolate, coffee and tropical fruit (thinking candy, like jolly ranchers or gummy bears).

Light body, good flavor and virtually no finish. It tastes great but is there and gone in seconds. A complex, interesting craft brew that you can chug by the case without feeling too guilty about it.

A little pricey at 9 for a sixer. Have I ever seen a sixer of this before? I think today might be the first time, at trader joe's.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Anchor's Berkle's Brown last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I don't have much experience with this brewery, I have had their Steam Beer a couple of times but have never reviewed it, I'm in a mood for a Brown Ale so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a cone shaped 12oz brown bottle poured into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it kind of has a classic look to it. It poured a nice slightly dark brown color that takes on a bright copper ruby color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a great looking beer that looks really good in the glass.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of sweet malts that have a slight roast to them. After that I picked up a some earthy hops along with some noticeable fruity and citrus hops that was unexpected but made for a unique aroma. The aroma is unique with the very sweet malts and the fruity hops, but I prefer the traditional Brown Ale aromas.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be as sweet as the aroma but it still manages to be pretty sweet. The first thing I pick up are the sweet slightly roasted caramel malts. After that comes a weird hop combination that imparts and equal amount of fruity and grassy flavors. On the finish I get a sweet brown sugar like taste and a slightly lighter then medium amount of bitterness with malty and fruity hop aftertaste. I wasn't liking the flavor of this beer that much, it sure is unique for a Brown Ales, but I feel like the very sweet malts clash with the weird hop combo in this beer.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I wish it was a little smoother and not sticky but other then that the mouthfeel was good.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty middle of road Brown Ale that sure was unique, but I found that malts seemed to clash with the hops. This beer didn't have that good of drinkability, I drank one and wouldn't want to drink another, too sweet, and the flavor doesn't do it for me. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, the color and head were on point, if this beer drank as good as it looked it would be pretty good. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, I didn't care for them that much and I thought they could have had much more balance to them. I wouldn't buy this beer again since I didn't enjoy it and I don;t recommend it, there are tons of better browns on the market for the same price. I had high hopes for this beer but it for sure didn't live up to them, I thought that the malts were just way too sweet and not that flavorful and the hops didn't work well with this beer. I am going steer clear of this beer from now on, but I am still down to try more of their beers, but this one didn't to it for me, better luck next time.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Deep ice-tea colored body with a small tan head. Aroma of malt, alcohol, earth, caramel, pit fruits and nuts. Medium-bodied with a creamy finish. Pungent nutty flavors with caramel, a touch of dryness and some light hop finish. Aftertaste is mostly about the malt and nuts here with some very mild earth and dryness throughout. Overall, a nice brown, but a little boozy when warmer.

2.06/5  rDev -43.7%

not what i was expecting at all.. i think my beer tastes depends on my mood... this was way to hoppy for a brown and fiished with a strong after taste... i didnt really enjoy drinking it... finished it pretty fast to get to the next beer of the night... if you like hops go for it!!

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown with tints of amber/ruby red. Lots of rising bubbles and a huge foamy five finger head with good retention and lots of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Sweet malts that are slightly roasted. A good amount of caramel and toffee. A pretty vibrant presence of hops for the style with some citrus orange and a hint of pine resin. Also some light hints of nuts and brown sugar.

Taste: Starts with some sweet lightly roasted caramel malts up front with hints of toffee and nuts. A fairly vibrant taste of hops comes in with notes of citrus orange and some herbal, grassy hops. Also some hints of brown sugar and banana. Nice balance of sweet malts and hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and somewhat sticky. Starts sweet and finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A very nice take on a brown ale. More hoppy than you would expect from a brown but still well balanced.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear brown colour with an off white head, good retention.

Smells malty and a caramalised sweetness too.

Tastes very malty and almost dark but more sweet. Nice hop bitterness taste on the finish.

Overall a decent brown ale, not the best but solid nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Fine brown color, perfect clarity. Big light tan head starts lacing as it recedes. Holy malty aromas! Sweetness on the nose, mostly caramel.

First sip has a huge malty flavor, but not a chewy mouthfeel. A little flat through the middle, could benefit from slightly more aggressive carbonation. The nice bitterness right after entry and at the finish doesn't scream "hoppy," but provides an excellent backbone. It follows the malty flavors seamlessly, and the maltiness never tips over into sweetness.

I keep thinking I'm getting traces of high alcohol flavors/aromas/mouthfeel, but this one is a pretty reasonable 6% ABV.

Overall: B+/A-

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

22oz->Smokestack Tulip
A ~ Pours Brown with a red hue. . .creamy khaki head,
good lacing.

S ~ Banana bread, Orange peels, Vanilla candies...Very floral. Strawberries & Molasses Cookies w/ Caramel Ice Cream. Hint of brown sugared oatmeal. Great bouquet.

T ~ Banana Bread follows through w/ sliced strawberries & lemonade. Raw Vanilla Bean & Orange Peel. Delectable notes of wheat bread baking as well as rich toffee & caramel overtones.

M ~ Great feel here. Sweet, creamy malt deliciousness & fruity flavor hoppiness. The Citra Hop is showcased very well here.
A delicate balance of robust flavor & complex floral sweetness. A substantial body w/ delicate effervescence.

D ~ Citra in a Brown Ale? I'm there. It's a perfect combination. Supreme drinkability here. No heat, tastes great, & the price is very right. Please check this out.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

I picked this up at the store as part of a mixed six pack. I've had a decent amount of Anchor Brewing in the past (especially Liberty Ale), but I never had Brekle's Brown before.

I poured this beer into a pint glass. There was about one finger of foam, and the coloring is brown like a chocolate lab. You get a decent amount of malty smell from the top, and I get some minimal hopping.

This is a tasty brown. There is a little sweetness and a ton of malt. Brekle's has really good balance. I even get some bitterness on the back end.

This is a good example of a brown beer. I would probably only put it second to the Smuttynose Brown Dog (my favorite brown).

Brekle's Brown from Anchor Brewing Company