Brekle's Brown - Anchor Brewing Company

Brekle's BrownBrekle's Brown

good

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Single hopped with Citra.

(Beer added by: largadeer on 03-07-2011)
oline73

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber color with two fingers of off white head that fade to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Really sweet, very ripe dark fruit and some brown sugar. Lots o malt, too sweet.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell, thank God, but still too much ripe fruit sweetness for a brown ale. Malty in the finish. I was really hoping the hops would play more of a role here.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, mild carbonation, the finish is slightly dry.

Overall: Reminds me of a bad homebrew, not particularly professional tasting. Way too much sweetness for the style with nothing to balance it out.

09-17-2011 00:45:40 | More by oline73
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Poured a dark, yet transparent reddish brown. Head is minimal and tan. Bubbly and frothy. Leaves unconnected lace rings.

S: Cocoa, citrus , crackers, a little spice and caramel are the things that pop out here.

T: Immediate strange twang of tart sting that is not pleasing. The back of the beer is sweet, and bitter with some light but lingering citrus notes with elements of bakers chocolate, nuts, and burnt caramel. But that strange initial taste kinda of kills it here.

M: Light and watery. Soft carbonation. Not much else to note.

O: Not a fan and an Anchor disappointment

09-17-2012 15:17:15 | More by barleywinefiend
VelvetExtract

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

A-Pours a dark, yet transparent reddish brown. Head is minimal and tan. Bubbly and frothy. Leaves unconnected lace rings.

S-Cocoa and caramel are the first two things that pop out here. A bit nutty and the yeast is apparent too.

T-The flavor really surprised me. It has a strange twinge of tart sting that is not pleasing. The back of the beer is sweet, and creamy with notes of chocolate, nuts, and burnt caramel. But that strange initial taste kinda of kills it here. Also has an unattractive metallic twang too.

M-Light and watery. Soft carbonation. Not much else to note.

O/D-Not a fan of this beer. Two separate parts of the taste (the odd initial flavor, and the metallic flavor) are unappealing to me. Glad I only bought a single of this.

01-27-2012 19:01:21 | More by VelvetExtract
fx20736

2.7/5  rDev -26%

Bought a single bottle from Beers of the World on 1/4/14. Poured into a Pint glass, served cool.

Appearance: Rich but utterly translucent Siena brown with a big Khaki head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: unexpected woody, mint overlays chocolatey malt.

Mouthfeel: decent at first but succeeding sips seem thin and flat in the mouth

Taste: vegetal hops cover the malt.

Notes: trying to determine if this somehow skunked. If it isn't then the spearmint like taste is both unexpected and undesired. Malt is too thin for the style, IMO.

I am very disappointed by this beer as I am a big fan of Anchor Brewing. Glad I only bought a single bottle.

01-04-2014 22:47:28 | More by fx20736
Jadjunk

Georgia

2.74/5  rDev -24.9%

"Anchor's roots date back to the early 1850's, when pioneer brewer Gottlieb Brekle arrived in San Francisco. In 1871, he bought a beer-and-billiards saloon near Russian Hill, transforming it into the brewery that-25 years later- was renamed Anchor. We celebrate 140+ years of San Francisco brewing tradition and the legacy of our Anchor brewers with this classic all-malt, single-hop brown ale." Brewed in the style of a Brown Ale. Bought on an extreme discount at Green's at Ponce, $2.49 per a sixer. Bottling date is November 9, 2011. Hopefully these have held up.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a snifter. Served north of 48º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a fizzy cream head of a burgundy-white tone over a very hazy and dense brown-red body. Carbonation is lively and plentiful. Retention is average, and lacing is thin and spotty. 3.25

(Smell) Malt body is a subtle, mildly sweet malt. Very little hop character left to discern. Aroma has a notable presence of intense fruity esters, grapes and sweet juicy apples mostly. Signs of a very dated beer- the malt bill and the hop character were not bold enough to keep this from giving in to age. What is left is something most vinous and cider-like- and otherwise, very clean. 2.75

(Taste) Flavor is very much the same as the aroma, with a subtle, clean graham-cracker, slightly bready malt sweetness and a strong fruity boozed-up finish. Hop character is nowhere to be found, and the malt is easily overshadowed by the yeast notes. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is smooth, with a mild airy carbonation presence. Alcohol presence is very strong, easily dominates the beer's flavor profile. Body is light for a brown ale, light+ overall. 3

(Overall) Always check your dates. I can tell that this beer would be very mildly flavored and simple when young, but even that would be more enjoyable than a beer that has an intense boozy yeast character. Will try again at a later date. 3

Anchor Brewing Company's

Maine

08-23-2012 01:56:50 | More by rderedin
PEBKAC

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

On tap @ Hop Devil Grill. Pint glasses are not yet extinct.

Mud brown & amber color. Decent clarity. Transparent inch of off-white head.

Doughy, barely nutty aroma. Ashy. Served too cold. Becomes more crusty as it warms.

Flavor is acrid, nearly burnt malt. Dry toast. Earthy, root flavors. Bit of liquorice & faint coffee. Not very caramelized at all. Moderately bitter.

Stiff carbonation that probably isn't what Anchor intended. Medium light body; textured feel. Alcohol isn't very noticeable for 6%.

Decent bitter American brown, but there wasn't much nuttiness/depth in the roast.

10-20-2011 21:50:31 | More by PEBKAC
david18

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

I had a draft of this at Cannibal, a new beer bar and charcuterie on Manhattan's east side. Not my favorite brown, which was not my favorite style but it was worth trying.

Appearance was a medium brown with a fizzy head. Not too much carbonation.

Aroma was a little toasty, a little bit of cocoa and some hops as well.

Flavor was a little thin. I found it to be a little bit lacking.

Not really very good.

02-01-2012 19:57:34 | More by david18
StoutHunter

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

I picked up a bottle of Anchor's Berkle's Brown last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I don't have much experience with this brewery, I have had their Steam Beer a couple of times but have never reviewed it, I'm in a mood for a Brown Ale so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a cone shaped 12oz brown bottle poured into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it kind of has a classic look to it. It poured a nice slightly dark brown color that takes on a bright copper ruby color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a great looking beer that looks really good in the glass.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of sweet malts that have a slight roast to them. After that I picked up a some earthy hops along with some noticeable fruity and citrus hops that was unexpected but made for a unique aroma. The aroma is unique with the very sweet malts and the fruity hops, but I prefer the traditional Brown Ale aromas.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be as sweet as the aroma but it still manages to be pretty sweet. The first thing I pick up are the sweet slightly roasted caramel malts. After that comes a weird hop combination that imparts and equal amount of fruity and grassy flavors. On the finish I get a sweet brown sugar like taste and a slightly lighter then medium amount of bitterness with malty and fruity hop aftertaste. I wasn't liking the flavor of this beer that much, it sure is unique for a Brown Ales, but I feel like the very sweet malts clash with the weird hop combo in this beer.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I wish it was a little smoother and not sticky but other then that the mouthfeel was good.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty middle of road Brown Ale that sure was unique, but I found that malts seemed to clash with the hops. This beer didn't have that good of drinkability, I drank one and wouldn't want to drink another, too sweet, and the flavor doesn't do it for me. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, the color and head were on point, if this beer drank as good as it looked it would be pretty good. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, I didn't care for them that much and I thought they could have had much more balance to them. I wouldn't buy this beer again since I didn't enjoy it and I don;t recommend it, there are tons of better browns on the market for the same price. I had high hopes for this beer but it for sure didn't live up to them, I thought that the malts were just way too sweet and not that flavorful and the hops didn't work well with this beer. I am going steer clear of this beer from now on, but I am still down to try more of their beers, but this one didn't to it for me, better luck next time.

03-19-2012 03:56:57 | More by StoutHunter
Djedhead360

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Dark Brown clear
Smell:Malt I cant smell the hops
Taste: light hops smooth
mouthfeel: low in carbonation
overall:It was ok I had a lot of Malt taste almost no Hops it did not taste like a brown beer to me.this would be a good light beer to drink ain the day time relaxing

09-11-2011 03:16:10 | More by Djedhead360
StoutishDan

Georgia

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

Can't really tell why I decided to review this beer. Since my last review I've tried my share of stellar beers. I love Browns, so I picked up a 22oz of this at Total Wine Kennesaw (phenomenal place and good prices). I thought I'd give this one a swig.

A - Head is hanging on by a hair now that I've taken a few sips (and gulps) here and there. Deep red in color. It's a little cloudy.

S - Typical American Brown...a little hoppy on the nose. Bitterly sour hues. Nutty and yet, not mildly so. This is reminding me how much I have disliked every American Brown Ale I've tried...is this REALLY an American Brown. Buggs!

T - Not as sour and hoppy as I had expect from the smell. Sweet malty character shining through. The hoppiness is still there, but quickly fades, welcoming the next taste. Carmelly sweetness is definitely there.

O - Grant it, I wouldn't order this beer while out with friends. Although, if someone was to buy me this beer specifically, I'd drink it and enjoy it. On my scale from 0-100 I give it an 80.

I again realize that I am definitely an English Brown kind of guy.

Prince

12-15-2011 02:31:57 | More by StoutishDan
nimrod979

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours somewhat of a reddish brown. Big two finger off white almost tan rocky head. Pretty decent retention.
Aroma is caramel malts. dark fruit. Brown sugar. Slight roasty and a faint citrus hop aroma.
Taste is sweet caramel malts. Some roastiness and citrusy bitterness coming from the hops. Dark fruits. I don't think it really meshes too well. Kinda of all ver the place. Don't care for it that much.
Smooth and creamy mouthfeel medium bodied. Sometimes feels a little watery but it's clean with a lingering hop bitterness that offsets the sweetness of the malts. Unique.

01-09-2012 03:06:29 | More by nimrod979
Apellonious

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz from sixer from Total Wine

A - dark brown with ruby highlights. Huge fluffy head after a moderately aggressive pour.

S - is it bad? Slightly sour. Some bread.

T - more sourness. Some piney hops.Bitterness. I noticed this with my first bottle last night, was hoping it was a result of a chocolate stout transition (and since I have four more), but this does not present on the palate well. Total Wine has the eerie distinction of the only place I have bought a beer and performed the dreaded drain pour. Mostly due to old product and poor handling. Not sure if this plays a role here. But the sourness and the fact that it foamed over the bottle top when removing the cap makes it likely. Booze on the finish.

M - solid. Carbonation is even, yet slightly watery.

O - Not the idea of a brown I had in mind. Others may have a different experience.

02-03-2013 01:39:15 | More by Apellonious