Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale) - Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Daniellobo on 10-19-2011)

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

1.8/5  rDev -53.1%

I'm just confused. This isn't very good at all. I can't even bring myself to take another sip so I may give a proper review. Last year's was terrible. Tasted like a bitters & soda. This one tastes different. Maybe a little nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and I don't know why this tastes so bad. Mouthfeel is fine but I just can't drink anymore.

I just don't get this one.

2.23/5  rDev -41.9%

Pours a deep garnet color with a small whitish head that dissipates quickly.

Malt base aroma with a prominent vanilla/spice sweetness.

Tastes more like a Root Beer than a beer. Malt sweetness up front with a dry finish. Not terrible or hard to finish, just not what I think of when I look for a winter warmer (or a beer in general).

Wouldn't even think about a second. Surprising from this brewery.

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%

This my first Anchor Christmas Ale. Pours a stout-like black with a hummus colored head that stuck around. Mahogany highlights when light penetrates. Plenty of lacing.

Smell is very unique. The nose is met with a unique blend of spices. Almost smells like bubblegum. I cannot pick out individual spices, but it smells like a mixture of nutmeg, mint, all spice, cloves and some noble or English hops. Smell is strong and unique and very "winter," but not overly appealing.

The taste is a mouthful of the spices. Not much else. Very little malt flavor. Too many spices, doesn't taste like beer and is cloying. Not sweet, not bitter. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light. Reminds me of a Guinness.

I may grab 1 or 2 of next year's batch since it will be a different recipe. The 2011 is not very good.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

12 oz. bottle served in a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very dark ruby, with nice clarity throughout. A two-finger tan head recedes fairly quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

I really hate to say it, but it's quite a Christmas-y aroma. A pretty clear note of resiny pine, complemented by a touch of toffee. There's quite a bit of chocolate in the nose, far more than I remember in last year's version. It's not terribly sweet, in spite of that description.

Prominent chocolate in the taste. That woody, pine element from the aroma is there, but in the palate it unfortunately just seems oddly vegetal and unappetizing. There's a pretty clear cooked vegetable taste coming through. The end result is something approximating dirt, with an oddly chalk-like taste throughout.

This could really use some more carbonation, as it stands this borders on lifeless. One of the harder-to-drink sub-5% ABV beers I've had.

A pretty serious letdown for me, especially given my love of this beer. To be honest, I'm not too excited to have five more bottles in my fridge, though I'm hopeful that this particular bottle was just an aberration and I'll find that good ol' holiday spirit on a subsequent try.

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2011 bottle. Pours dark red-brown clour, with a big off white head that disappears soon leaving some lace.Smell is very faint, some chocolate and spices. Very soft palate taste of chocolate and spices, cardamom or clove, and maybe allspices. Not bad, but I was hoping for something better.

Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale) from Anchor Brewing Company