Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Anchor California Lager - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor California LagerAnchor California Lager

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: esdeebrew on 02-15-2013

In 1876, thanks to an ice pond in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created California's first genuine lager. Anchor California Lager® is our re-creation of this historic beer. Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is kräusened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager® a delicious celebration of California’s unique brewing heritage.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor California Lager Alström Bros
2.82/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Snatched this one up yesterday at Red Carpet Wine in Glendale. I'll try anything Anchor puts out out of respect for the brewery. Love the old school no-nonsense label, and Anchor's bottles are iconic at this point - distinctive and cute with the snub neck. Let's get into it, shall we?

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pry-off ("Use Opener") cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given the brewery's reputation and influence.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

I can't corroborate the ABV; I don't see one listed on the label.

A: Pours a two finger wide light white-khaki colour head. Soft smooth complexion. Nicely frothy. Fair creaminess. No real lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is pretty decent - probably 6 minutes - but that's not too impressive for the mild ABV.

Body colour is a clear translucent copper; vibrance is above average. Pretty standard fare for the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Not unique or special, but I don't notice any obvious flaws. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Two row malts; quite clean. Neutral efficient yeast; no spiciness or biscuity character here. Cream. Vague adjunct - corn maybe? Clean barley. Quite grainy; graininess is definitely dominant. Any hopping is largely unevocative; it's purely preservative. I suppose it's to style, but it does leave something to be desired. No alcohol is detectable. I'm optimistic given the brewery, but I can already tell it's not going to blow me away.

T: Clean. Grainy and malty. Hop character is unevocative, adding little. Clean barley and cereals. No yeast character comes through. No alcohol comes through. Some residual sugars on the back end leave it feeling sweet - almost like it was brewed with candi sugar. Weak, but I wouldn't call it bland. It's certainly boring, though. I do get some mineral notes - perhaps from the water. Light dough - especially on the climax. There's not much to say about it given its simplicity. No subtlety here, but decent balance. Flavour duration and intensity are average. It does feel a bit artificial, almost like adjunct was used.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Lightly crisp. Overcarbonated. Good presence on the palate. It's somewhat refreshing. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but it doesn't feel custom-tailored to it. A bit too thick. Not syrupy, viscous, harsh, gushing, or oily.

Dr: Drinkable but boring. I definitely wouldn't bother with this again. I do think it's necessary to point out that Anchor likely met their goals; I don't doubt this is an authentic recreation of the beer they based this on. I applaud the revere for brewing history, but frankly the resultant beer is just plain dull. Very pedestrian indeed. That said, this might be a great beer for easing macro-swill drinkers into craft/micros. It's easy sippin', but I wouldn't recommend it to friends. A dud from Anchor.

Low C (3,094 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

I originally had this from a bottle, the review of which follows, but when they released it in a CAN, you CAN bet that I wanted to make it a part of The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "California's First Genuine Lager Reborn."

The Crack! unleashed a bunch of foam, as though I had shaken the CAN! I had not, but it sent a clear message that a slow, gentle pour was in order so as not to anger the bear patrolling the side of the CAN. I still got a good bit of foaming, resulting in two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity so my buddies, Mammon, Croesus and Midas stopped by for a taste. Nose had a Noble hop grassiness and a mild biscuity maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was grassy, but sweet enough that I would have guessed it to be a German Pilsner. No matter. I could drink this all day. Finish was semi-sweet, very tasty and undeniably thirst-quenching. I would put some of this in my cooler during the summer and just sit back and watch the days pass by.

I was surprised when I saw this in the cooler at Monde Market in PHL on Thursday. "When did Anchor begin making lagers?" I wondered to myself. This has been a recent West Coast trend in response to many East Coast (read PA) brewers taking medals for Lager-style beers at GABF and jealousy will get you nowhere. My analogy is that of a stick shift driver to an automatic driver: if you can drive stick, you can drive anything. If you only know automatic and somebody puts you behind the wheel of a stick, you are going to grind a lot of coffee before you are done. If you can brew with lager yeast, you can brew anything, although some stalwarts don't even want to bother. If you only know ale yeast and suddenly decide to brew lagers, you are going to produce some evil stuff before you are through. Capice?

From the bottle: "Anchor Steam's roots go back to the Gold Rush, long before icehouses and modern refrigeration made traditional lagers a viable California option. in 1876, thanks to an ice pond found in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created California's first genuine lager. Anchor Claifornia Lager is our re-creation of this historic beer. Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California)), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is krausened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager a delicious celebration of California's unique brewing heritage."

California Lager?!? It seems like a contradiction on terms to me, but I promise to give it a fair shake, as I do for every beer. This is a very carbonated beer, so even a gentle pour seems to create a lot of dense, pillowy, French-vanilla colored head which also gives the beer a pseudo-cascading effect as it settles. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and once more, Croesus and King Midas were fighting over it, now joined in the fray by Mammon. I have no time for their antics, so I leaned in for a sniff. The nose was clean, very much a lager, with a grainy maltiness and a grassy hoppiness that put me in mind of a German Pils. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was soft, I mean like as in soft water and the taste was very grassy, very much Noble hops, although I was not getting the malt the way that I did on the nose. Finish was dry and refreshing, but I kept thinking that I wished that they had allowed the malt to play better with the grassy hops. Not bad, but I know several PA breweries that make lagers that I will stick with/to, at least for the time being. (3,743 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

As a fan of Anchor Porter and lagers in general, when I saw this recently I had to pick up a six pack. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with this one. It smells and tastes like an IPA, not a lager. The grassy hops pervade the nose and leave a lingering potent bitterness that only IPA lovers would enjoy. Yes, there is substantial maltiness up front, but it is quickly overcome by the strong hops. If the hops were cut to about a quarter of the current level this would be an outstanding lager. (500 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a loud, soft, soapy, white head that collapses quickly. Soft, sweet malt backing floral hops. Crystal clear, golden hue. Starts bitter with a grainy hop flavor, builds into a low-medium hoppiness, a flash of grassy hops, and then the malt finally shows through. Lingering hop bitterness.

This is billed on the label as an "all-malt brew." It's billed also as having a "balanced depth of flavor" and "smooth finish."
No. None of these things is true.
It's not bad, but it's not the smooth lager it's building itself up to be. I was hoping for something a la "Totally Naked" by New Glarus, but I got a light pale ale. Considering Anchor's bock, they over-hop their lagers. Again, not a BAD brew, but not a very good lager (especially considering the billing). (764 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle, brilliantly golden with a creamy, white head that holds decent retention and leaves a little lace. Aromas are typical for the style - lager yeast, grassy hops, biscuity grain. Tastes are fresh & crisp, grassy hops, yeast, easy drinking. Creamy, lighter body, moderate carbonation. Overall, nothing wrong with this one - good example of the style. (359 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a code dated 12 oz. bottle: bright, shiny and clear golden hue with a sustained, foamy white-head that very slowly recedes leaving nice lacing on the glass.
The weakest point for this lager: very light and subtle hop aroma with little of the spiciness one would expect from an all-malt lager.
This is definitely a step above an "American style lager" in flavor profile. There is a soft, mellow flavor similar to a German helles. Only the steely hop bitterness reminds you that this is American. The Anchor website states this is a single hop lager. I think the very good flavor of this lager could be improved with an additional hop variety.
The mouth feel has a very nice, creamy and smooth profile with a slight and pleasant lingering vanilla on the palate.
It is good to see a world class brewery presenting a standard and flavorful lager. I will probably have this one again this summer. (905 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

Anchor California Lager
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a Pilsner glass

Pours a golden color with an orange tint. Champagne bubbles race to the top of the beer. The head is fluffy and bone white. I'm most impressed with the trails of sticky lace on this offering.

A rather clean nose with whiffs of grains or cereals.

Toasted grain malt backbone with a really clean profile. Hints of grass, cereal gain and a touch of citrus (lemon). I detect that classic Anchor yeast in here too. Super drinkable, almost off the charts in terms of sheer drinkability.

A refreshing and simple (in a good way) way lager that is true to the style. Could be an excellent crossover beer for someone. (681 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear medium orange with a nice foamy white head that lasts and sticks to the glass.

Pale malt nose, some hop leaf, some mineral.

Nice malt profile up front. Dries out nicely with some malt and then some decent clean bitterness. Long bitter finish.

Medium Body, good carbonation.

Nice structure with this beer. Nothing fancy, but a nice clean lager. A little on the bitter side, and that can work well with food. These guys found a nice summer beer here. (464 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright and light gold color, very clear, with a nice white head.

Aromas are doughy, with some bread, yeast, and light grassy hops.

Taste is semi sweet, lightly creamy, and fairly dry. Finish has hints of mineral hops, with a light grassiness.

Mouthfeel is full, smooth, and dry. Almost feels a bit too thick though.

Overall, a pretty nice lager. It's a bit too thick and sweet to me, and I wish it was more crisp, clean and dry tasting. Still a pretty good beer though. (481 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a crystal clear bright yellow with a half finger of dense head sitting atop an active glass of bubbling brew. Typical lager aroma with a good nutty kick to it. No one nut stands out, but it's more prevalent than the slight tang from the yeast, solid honey presence, and somewhat metallic twinge. I also get some cracker, which is of note since I normally don't detect any malt in the nose. This starts out a little sweet from un-fermented malt and honey, but turns quickly to mild tang and nut, toasted cracker, and fades to a bright, nectar hop with bitterness mild and fleeting. A mix of the young hop bitterness and cracker linger together. Feel is slightly watery with more body than I would have imagined with a sweet finish.

This is a very solid offering from Anchor. While I still prefer Trumer, this would be great on a hot day. If they were to get more attenuation or just bring down the sweetness in another way then this would be a great brew. (961 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Clear golden color with a fingers worth of head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Grain and hay aromas with a hint of floral hops.

Taste- Bready malt and hay-like flavors with a slight herbal hop finish.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and smooth with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A tasty and easy drinking lager. (373 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Just learned this new beer was available in my area and -- hey! One of my locals actually had it!

Trademark short Anchor bottle with its mysterious dot matrix coding.

A -- Pours a clear, deep golden color with a craggy white head that holds up well.

S -- Grainy malts and mild, spicy hops. Not a terribly big nose, but nothing offensive.

T -- Grainy malts with some underlying sweetness and good spicy bitterness in balance. The proprietary Anchor lager yeast is present in the same bready and tart way it tastes in the Steam, though maybe a little milder. The finish has a cross between the graininess and mild sweetness along with the clean, dry spiciness of the hops.

M -- Mouthfeel is soft, on the verge of syrupy, to crisp in the finish with a light to medium light body.

O -- I'd like to think this is what a true pre-prohibition beer tasted like, though I have the feeling the hop-rate is a little bigger in this one. Nonetheless, this is a great tasting beer that's perfect for quaffing every day. Has a good, though mild malt character and a good amount of hop bitterness to be paid attention. A damn fine take that ought to make some macro drinkers (old or nuveau) take note. (1,191 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pokal glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a golden, yellow clear color with a ton of champagne-like carbonation that (at least, thanks to the glass), keeps pumping bubbles upwards for what seems to last forever. Some sit on the bottom, around the edges of the glass. A foamy, white head crowns the top, dwindling to about a half finger size but never giving up. Thicker than expected. When rated to the style, this is pretty much top notch.

The flavor is a lightly laden combination of crisp cereal grains, grassy, wet hops, and an undeniable skunky flavor that comes quite often in these types of beers. The finish is a dried apple/pear combo, with a little bit of mustiness from the yeasty byproduct, as well as a refreshing, dried grass and floral hoppiness. A touch of sweetness from the alcohol, although at that point everything gets more subtle. Light indeed, but pleasant.

The flavor consists of a bittered, cracked barley flavor combined with a juicy, slightly sweetened malty character with a little bit of grass from the hops, and dried skunkiness from the yeast. Everything is well represented here! The grains immediately bring in some bitterness, but it quickly turns into a fruity, dried finish combined with the hop flavor and slight alcohol sweetness. The apple cider-ish flavor still is at full strength here, but the emphasis clearly in on the cereal golden grains. Carbonation is excellent, and this is far more thickened as a result. Very bite-y, even as far as the style goes, and not as gentle on the palate as a result, but I think that makes it more interesting.

I really enjoy that this is available year round as of this year - but I especially love using this as a replacement for all of the rather generic summer beers that come around this time of the year. I could have a ton of these in one session. Anchor really made an everyday, crowd-pleasing beer here... But it's quite tasty and one of the best German style lagers I've had in America in a long time. (2,002 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the things I really enjoyed about this beer was its well-thought out nods to California history, from the label design (always classy) to their choice of hops. The beer itself was enjoyable in a sessionable-lager sort of way, but this is not necessarily one I’d go out of my way to try again.
It pours a manila tan-gold color with generous foaming. There’s a light honeyed aroma with just a hint of that signature Anchor Steam yeast character. It’s delicately hopped. The flavor is crisp with just a touch of the hop character. Finishes effervescent & light. Overall I found this a tasty take on the much maligned lager. Paired well with tacos. (657 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 6'r of these at Bev Mo in Point Loma for $8 - poured into a Plan Nine Alehouse branded tulip.

Pours what some may refer to as "fizzy yellow beer" though I hate to associate such a great brewery with such a morbid description, but I have to call a spade a spade here. Smell is sweet and malty with some grassy notes in there as well. Taste is also sweet and malty, slightly herbal and mildly bitter. Finish is very clean, lively carbonated and a lingering bitterness from the hops. Has moments of coming across like and English pale in flavor but has a light body. Extreme easy drinker - great session beer for the long warm California days of summer. (663 characters)

3.78/5  rDev 0%

A: clean, light amber... frothy white head

S: not much there to dazzle the senses.... clean, bright, mild grain kernel dominates, very tiny touch of leafiness.... no-to-little fruitiness

T: very clean and mellow overall.... light on the (cereal, bready) malt, light on the hops.... lightly fruity with some mellow residual bitterness

M: lighter body than I would have guessed for (or have experienced in) an all-malt lager.... something in the process.... still fairly smooth and dry for what it is, no bite or astringency.... very easy to drink

O: not bad at all.... the "missing link" between the macro swill and the quite-malty domestic all-malts I've enjoyed (666 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours clear deep golden with a fluffy and soft three finger head that stuck around forever before fading into rocky film that left chunky lace down the glass.
S: Spicy, earthy and leafy hops mixed with lager yeast and light malt. Clean and crackery overall.
T: Spice, herbal, earthy and leafy up front, yeasty, with a unexpected sweet finish and an almost fruity aftertase. Clean bitterness, doughy malt, fruit nectar like sweetness and caramel also come through. Very flavorful.
M: Crisp, clean and refreshing lager. Medium-light body, soft and fluffy carb.
O: A solidly bitter and very flavorful light lager. I could see myself buying this to always have a refreshing beer on hand. (726 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a light orange to dark golden colour. Good head retention, billowy at times, some solid lace.

S: Barley malt direct, bready, some nice noble hopping.

T: Cereal and cracked bread, with a considerable hopping for the style. Notes of grass and earth with a slight citrus.

M: Very crisp and easy drinking, light-bodied, would be great for the summertime.

O: This is an excellent drinking pale lager, well worth a try if you're in Cali. (460 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crisp straw yellow with a slight orange, nice one finger head that leave nice lacing.

Smells of malty molasses with a touch of pine.

Tastes of white bread with biscuit and toffee notes mixed with a touch of piny hops.

Mouthfeel is crisp yet round enough to feel like a substantial lager as apposed to a light beer.

Overall it's a great lager that reminds me of a German Octoberfest beer. I would like to try this on draft as a comparison. (450 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pure golden hue with fizzy white head and fairly decent retention.

Smells a little chalky, with a nice grassy hop tang on top, you can tell you're in for a treat as soon as you open the bottle.

Tastes as though you put a small handful of milled two-row into your mouth, with a slight hop bite and crisp carbonation. Flawless as far as lagers go. Unmistakable ingredients, excellent for this style.

Mouthfeel goes right in hand with the taste... refreshing and crisp.

This is pretty much what I'll be comparing future American lagers to, for the foreseeable future. (577 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

If I was purely rating to style, my score would be even higher. This beer is very clean, light and refreshing with no real off-flavors. On top of that, it doesn't cheat by loading the beer up with hops and comes in at a low price point. It's a good looking lager, too. Nice bright yellow-gold color with a creamy white head that sticks around for quite a long time. Perfectly transparent. The aroma is so clean that I'm not quite sure how to rate it. There's a little bit of sweetly yeasty, doughy malt flavor and a touch of floral/herbal hops, maybe a tad bit citric. The taste starts sweet with squeaky clean, fresh, bright malt. Quickly, an herbal hop bitterness combines with a tart yeast flavor to dry the beer out. The finish is lightly malt sweet with more hop flavor/bitterness and tart yeastiness. It reminds me of a toned down German pilsener with that refreshing hard water crispness. The finish particularly has a lingering mineral character. The beer drinks very easily and sits on the palate as light as can be. I'm not exactly about to run out to the store to buy more, but if I needed a macro lager substitute, I would go with this beer. (1,153 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: amber gold-copper fusion, lacy head.
S: oaty, bready, wet hay, chalk, cucumber.
T: full-bodied for lager, good hop presence drying out malt. Interesting.
M: refreshing but full...would pair with richer or spicy food as can stand up to but not interfere.
O: good beer. Would I order another?! Still thinking about that... (324 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

New Anchor beer? Hell yes.

A: Pours a jaundiced yellow with two fingers fairly sticky bleached white head. Retention is excellent for the style, with good lacing as well. Carbonation is moderate, with small individual bubbles rushing to for the head.

S: Lot of clean, milled grain in this nose. Toasty, with a slight herbal characteristic. Some cereal notes, but missing the adjunct scents, which makes sense.

T: Again, clean, with milled grain dominating the palate. Hop presence is earthy and partially herbal. Dry finish, with lingering herbal traces.

M: Light to medium bodied. Subdued carbonation adds an element of creaminess to the mouthfeel.

O: Simple and straightforward, I can see why this would be a popular beer for the working class in the 19th century. While this isn't something I would actively seek out, it's good to get some perspective on much how beer has changed in the last 100 or so years. (922 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

In terms of an APL how can this not be close to perfect for the style? Beautiful old gold sunset with the slightest crimson hue. Beautiful clarity with a billowy cap of eggshell foam, sticky cobwebs all over as i drink this one down. Nose brings cereal, cornflakes, some graham as well as a light floral/herbaceous character to go along with a light, pleasant bitterness. Would i rate it as high compared to my fav stouts and ipas? No way but i am rating it to style and it deserves the high marks - expertly crafted and extremely drinkable. (541 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The marks I give this beer is for comparison to other lagers only.

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours nice light gold color with a small head that quickly dissipates. Nice bubbles keeps a small amount of foam on top. Some light lacing.

Nice aroma, mellow grass and grains with a small amount of citrusy hop smell.

Nice bitter start with a slight toasted bread taste. Good, dry mouthfeel. Leaves a nice bitter flavor on the back of the sides of the tongue. Particularly suited for warmer weather when you really need a nice cool beer.

Impressions? Very good sessionable lager. I give it high marks compared to other lagers.

I am not particularly a lager drinker, but this one would rate as one of my favorites. It would probably be my go to lager were it not for the price. That, however, may just be because it is not available in the supermarkets in my area and I purchased it at a small specialty store. (917 characters)

Anchor California Lager from Anchor Brewing Company