Anchor California Lager - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor California LagerAnchor California Lager

good

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.90% ABV

In 1876, thanks to an ice pond in the mountains and a belief that anything is possible in the Golden State, a little brewery named Boca created California's first genuine lager. Anchor California Lager® is our re-creation of this historic beer. Made in San Francisco with two-row California barley, Cluster hops (the premier hop in 19th-century California), and our own lager yeast, this all-malt brew is kräusened and lagered in our cellars. Its golden color, distinctive aroma, creamy head, balanced depth of flavor, and smooth finish make Anchor California Lager® a delicious celebration of California’s unique brewing heritage.

(Beer added by: esdeebrew on 02-15-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor California Lager Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a six pack of Anchor Brewing Company's California Lager a few days ago at Krogers. This is the first time I've seen this beer around and since I enjoy a nice Lager every now and then I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date on the can. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks really nice, it's got a good design to it that goes really well with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking Lager, I have no complaints, it's just how I want a good Lager to look.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some grainy, sweet malt, doughy and bread crust like aromas that are followed by a nice creamy aroma with just a little more sweetness. Up next comes that clean lager yeast that goes right into a light fruity aroma and the hops which impart some light earthy and light floral hops like aromas This beer has a good aroma, it's not nearly as bland as most Lagers.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of low sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the exact same aspect that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes just a slight fruity flavor that goes right into the clean lager yeast that's followed by the hops which impart the same hoppy aspect that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's a light amount of medium bitterness with a bready, grainy and slight floral hop like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, it had a good amount of flavor to it for a Lager.

M- Smooth, very crisp, fairly clean, a little prickly, on the slightly thicker side of medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, but this one managed to have more flavor and more of a body while still keeping those nice crisp and clean lager characteristics, This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, very crisp, fairly clean, a little prickly, just slightly filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these, but they might start to get just a little filling if I really start to session it. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and the mouthfeel, I liked how they managed to give this beer a bigger body while still keeping it very lager like. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't a single aspect that I didn't fit into the style and there's nothing that I would change since it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a good Lager and I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the style. All in all I thought this was a tasty Lager and I enjoyed drinking it. It's now one of my favorite Lagers and I think it's one of the better beers that Anchor makes. Good job guys, this was one tasty Lager, keep up the hard work.

2.32/5  rDev -36.6%

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Golden color with a big white head, it's light bodied and well carbonated. Has that classic lager aroma with a little lemon and slight banana esters. Taste had a slight tang which I didn't fault it for, it was malty and finished clean, but I definitely didn't note it for any complexity. A versatile beer that's refreshing any time.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Light-to-medium bodied and decently refreshing. Significantly bitter in the back end.

I would like it except for that bitterness.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

4.84/5  rDev +32.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

A nice full-bodied lager beer. Different in flavor from German style lagers such as Beck's or St. Pauli Girl.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Initially tasty and refreshing, don't really like the after taste

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%