Hefeweizen - Rapp Brewing Company

Beer added by: roadhouse on 10-10-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 29 | Reviews: 1
3.57/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Rapp Hefeweizen
$8 for a pint on tap @ The Brass Tap, Oldsmar, FL

For some reason I thought that this was a German made hefeweizen, and I was surprised that it would be so phenolic and smokey. Now I find that it's American made and that makes more sense.

It looks entirely as a Bavarian weissbier should. Good appearance. The aroma, however, displays a smokiness and plastic-like phenol that then carries over into the flavor. Now, smokiness is not uncommon in a weissbier, there are many examples, and certainly plastic-like phenols make themselves known as well - in fact, Weihenstaphaner weissbier displays a bit of a plastic-like phenol. When the two are put together though, it's a bit much. I felt that this was a bit like a Band-Aid wrapped in bacon... or is that bacon wrapped in a Band-Aid? Perhaps that's just my personal taste coming through. There are phenols in every wheat beer (the banana, for example), but I found it a bit much. The wheat based malt underneath was solid, as was the moderate bitterness level. It finished dry, but again, with lingering phenols. I would suggest you try it and see for yourself.

NOTE: After looking at other reviews I feel this was probably just an odd batch where the yeast got away. QA needs to be addressed at every brewery, but I will do my best to find a fresh batch and see if I can change my review for the better.

to view more.