Follow our progress ...

Reviews by ninaturner:
3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Rapp Brewing on Dec 21st 2013. I didn't drink it there. I took it home with me in a 32oz growler. Consumed on Dec 22nd 2013. I decided to pour this Doppelbock in my Celebrator Pilsner glass.

Out of the growler came a Doppelbock that was a nice and clear cherry amber with no hidden highlights. On top of this nicely colored brew was a short lived 1/2 an inch beige almost tan colored head of foam. It stuck around for about 5 seconds before it completely disappeared. It didn't even bother to leave behind any rings or spots of lace to say that a head of foam was even there.

The aroma for this beer was actually not bad. It was much better than the appearance. It was an aroma that was more sweet than roasted with caramel, a quick whiff of milk chocolate, a subtle splash of black cherry, and some lightly roasted malt to round everything off. Not bad. I thought it was weird that the malt was dead last in aroma and not somewhere in the beginning.

While the aroma was more sweet than roasted, the taste was more boozy than sweet or roasted. It's overly boozy where I can taste nothing but booze and very little flavor. It's just more booze than flavor. Kicking off the taste was the lightly sweet roasted malt. Quickly following the malt was a hint of milk chocolate, a pinch of black cherry, a speck of hops, and a drop of caramel. After the caramel, in drops the wall of alcohol. It's only 8% ABV. There shouldn't be this much alcohol in here, but there was.

This was a medium bodied Doppelbock with a good amount of carbonation and a alcohol based aftertaste. There was some lightly roasted malt and milk chocolate backing up the alcohol. I'm sort of glad that the aftertaste didn't bother to stick around.

I'm a big fan of Rapp Brewing's beers, but this one....not so much. I think it relied to heavily on the 8% ABV to pull it through. It took me a while to polish off this growler. I might try this again if it's on tap again. Not a growler though.

Doppelbock from Rapp Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.