Lichtenhainer - Rapp Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 42 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by Shaw:
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a growler I filled at the brewery just a couple of hours ago. I'd never had a sour beer made with smoked malt before.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a bright white head that quickly reduces to a ring in my glass.

Smoky and tart aroma. I can certainly say I've never smelled a beer like this one before.

It's tart and refreshing with a good smoky flavor and hints of citrus zest. Certainly a flavor that would be an acquired taste for most.

Nice almost puffy body, probably thanks to the wheat malt.

A very different beer from the IPAs I've been drinking, and a nice diversion. I will certainly have to go back to Rapp Brewing Co.

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

650 mL bottle poured into a taster.

Appearance - Hazy pale yellow. Small fleeting head. Very thin collar.

Smell - Grain is most prominent. Slightly acidic. Faint and well incorporated smokiness.

Taste - A little fruity. Touch of apple. Tart. Grainy. Less smoke. Subtle smokiness.

Mouthfeel - Light and grainy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Interesting sour. I don't get a ton of smoke, but it's a neat touch.

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Went to Rapp instead of Dundein brewery because I heard their Gose is awesome. It was, but this was the stand out beer of the day. It's a smoked sour. Yeah...

Appearance: Pours a typical berliner looking color. Got it in a flight so no real head.

Smell: Smells really smoky and sour. You get the typical sour lactose tartness aromas but it's also smoky. Super interesting.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Interesting and unlike anything I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Typical sour mouthfeel.

Overall: Probably my favorite beer on tap the whole Florida trip. I hope they bottle this again when I'm down in December. If not, I'm getting a growler next time.

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Arrives with a pale straw color with a tiny head that fades quickly

Smell: Smoke and tart citrus

Taste: Lemon tartness up front, with the subtle smoke tones building in the middle; finishes balanced between the tart and smoke

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: You never know when you will come across a new style; this is one of those times for me and I like it

to view more.