Anaïs - Sante Adairius Rustic Ales

Sante Adairius Rustic Ales visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 08-18-2012

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured on tap at Trappist Provisions into a tulip glass. Review is from my notes. I heard a lot about this one, so it was exciting to try.

Pours an amber pale color that is quite luminescent, pretty much in the same range as other great Belgian saison beers that I've encountered in the past. I can't remember the last time I HAD a saison on tap (alas, traditional ones tend to be bottled), but this one holds through well, with a creamy, well built white head atop, which sadly dissipates into nothing as the carbonation dies down rather rapidly. Leaves behind layers of lacing on the glass. Really thick and hearty - haven't seen an American version of the style quite this way.

The aroma is filled with vibrant, grainy aromas complete with a grassy, hoppy finish. Notes of apricots immediately waft to the nose, as well as banana, clove, violets, slight pine, and pungent notes of lemongrass at the finish. The grains are REALLY nice here - almost resembling dipping your head into a bag filled with freshly toasted cereal notes. The grassy, hoppy finish, again, is appropriate. Not super bitter by any means, but well balanced.

The flavor is along the same level of quality, although it's surprisingly subtle, even for a clean saison. The initial fruity notes continue, ranging from orange peel to apricots, and there's a creamy, full-bodied bready profile that is highly comforting and super silky on the palate. Dried fruit and citrus continue, only to envelop more grassy, floral notes, as well as *something* that resembles candi sugar. (As much as the guys there denied getting any, I was tasting nothing but it at the finish.) Like tripels, this is pretty dry at the finish, with touches of sweetness and booze amongst the dried, pungent hops. Really well constructed... I could drink this all day for sure.

Not a saison that breaks any new rules, but rather one that is well made in the same realm of Saison Dupont, with a West Coast twist that is to be reckoned with. I'm pretty excited to try my bottle of Saison Bernice after having this. These guys are making properly farmhouse-inspired, well polished, slightly rustic ales the right way, and as good as they are in Belgium. Awesome stuff - really addicting and refreshing, yet totally meal-like. I HAD this for dinner, for Pete's sake!

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

From growler to teku.

This poured a clear, light golden color with something akin to a honeyed-amberlike glow.
There’s a honeyed, estery aroma to this. I get a floral note on the palate as I sip along with some wet hay from a hidden, emerging funk note. This beer strikes me as nuanced and sippable as a delicate white wine—with a similar cross-over appeal to it too. The spelt grain contributes a characteristic which reminds me of Baladin’s Nora.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the brewery. Pours an opaque apricot color with a fine white head. Aroma is pale malty with a strange rye-ish character, I guess that’s what spelt is like. Some banana pith on the nose as well, a touch of fruit salad. Flavor is lovely soft fruits -- peaches, bananas -- with a glorious malt balance and a smooth dry finish. Very much like Odonata Saison (RIP) but I’m inclined to say this is better.

4.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm no poet, but this beer makes me want to learn that art.

I know that sounds contrived and idiotic, but, at least to me, it makes sense.

This is the best American interpretation of the Dupont style saison I've had and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Anaïs from Sante Adairius Rustic Ales
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.