U Fleku Dark Lager - U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace

U Fleku Dark LagerU Fleku Dark Lager

U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace visit their website
Czech Republic

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 10-13-2002)
3.48/5  rDev -18.9%

Dark brown, almost black. It has a beautiful head, beige, very creamy and compact. Good appearance.
Light smell of malt, roasted malt, and caramel.
The taste is on the same way, with malt, caramel, and some roasted note. Quite drinkable.
Medium-light-light body.
Very drinkable.
Some bitter notes in the aftertaste, light liquorice, herbal bitterness. Not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on draught at U Fleku, Prague, Czech Republic.

Pours a beautiful dark brown with a tan head, clear, not cloudy. Smells very sweet, malty. Tastes too sweet, a lot of residual malt, no noticeable hops. Smooth and creamy, no extra CO2 noted, medium to thick on the tongue. Too sweet to have many, but a decent drink to try.

As stated before, U Fleku is a tourist trap you must visit in Prague. Avoid the awful liquor they put in front of you and expect you to pay for. More than one of these beers is too much.

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler, at the time of this review, this is the #1 Euro Dark lager, which is a bullshit style btw, on the best of beeradvocate lists. Imagine my surprise when Thorpe429 told me he had a growler of this previously believed to be DONG from the Czech republic, one of my top wants for a while, served in a Bruery tulip.

Beer is brown, dark, hazy with a thin head of small and medium bubbles, minimal lacing (if any at all) and low carbonation.

Aroma is nutty, sweet, the nuts dominate and win though.

Beer is tart and dark, mildly dry finish, you know what I think it is? Brett o. I thought about this review and description for a couple of hours and this is what I landed on. I think this beer is made or finished with Brett o. It is only mildly tart but not funky, not heavy but light on that palate. I did not enjoy this beer as much as I hoped. I think Death and Taxes is a superior beer by far and I'm basically done with this. Thanks for another #1 (if it survives the spot after this review) but I don't think I'd have it again.

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Huge, huge thanks to HJJH for getting this 1L growler out my way. Big surprise that they filled growlers of. Thought this was a DONG I'd have to wait awhile to try. Currently the #1 Euro Dark Lager. Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip.

Pours a dark brown with a light tan head and a bit of lacing. Thin collar. The nose brings a slight amount of roast as well as some mild hops and a slight acidic cherry character. The flavor is mostly malty with a bit of roast and some noticeable Continental hops. A bit of cherry there as well. Light body and slight acidity. Not bad at all, but not quite as good as the Moonlight dark lagers that I've come across. Interesting flavor and profile, though it doesn't quite measure up.

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Tasted this beer on tap at U Fleku at about 10:30am on 1 July 05. Never so early had I tasted any beer in my life, so my review of this beer can be biased, due to my still sleepy tastebuds at the time I suppose...

According to the waiter, the beer is 5%abv strong as I drink it. Served in 400ml (rather than a more common Czech 500 or 300ml glass/jug) jug, it looks almost pitch-black or very very dark brown in colour, coming with a browish, espresso-crema like thin beerhead... very enticing. The aroma has mixed in it lightly toasted bread, coffee beans, sweet roasted barley, moderate caramel, black-plum juice... generally a settled, both malty and fruity nose I could sense.

On the palate, it's generally rich dark-malty and consists of almost all the elements as I could sense from its aroma, with a tinge of black-fruit's tartness and fruity hops which provide very good balance between sourness and sweet maltiness. But perhaps because it is served one degree too cold, some of the flavours really are kept at bay. The aftertaste is equally affected as well, I think--a bit short and light, with a little bit of brown-sugary, sticky mouthfeel left on the sides of my tongue which I am not so fond of. Overall, it's a medium-bodied, medium-rich flavoured (for lagers) dark beer, though, as an ale-goer, I'd expect it to have more assertive flavour and complexity to be really interesting. But that's just my biased opinion on beers in general, and I do think it can be a much more complex and enjoyable dark lager if served at a slightly higher temperature.

4.01/5  rDev -6.5%

I know the place is touristy and overpriced, but I had to bring Alewife here once, S she had neveer been. Hell, I had only been once, way back in 1991. We each had a 0.4l mug, at 59CZK per, about $3.30 at the moment.

My short, dimpled mug was filled with a deep, dark, almost opaque mahogany brew. The heasd was a lovely rocky, foamy mocha-hued mass of foam, which lasted well and left great lace. Nose had nice choco notes, with some roasty action. Feel was smoth and medium; nuf ced.

A touch of light sweetness alit on the palate, with subtle cocoa powder and dark choco action following. Had a smidge of roastyness and a little bitterness following. The choco notes lingered well, like a mocha milkshake. Quite nice! Zum wohl!

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

It pours a dark brown with a lightish tinge around the edges and a light tan head. The aroma is buttery with some caramel and toffee, yet it is clean. The taste has some butter, caramel, some chocolate and is slightly sweet with a mild spiciness. There is low hops and bitterness, but it is smooth, clean and refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Spent a short week in Prague and the first thing i told my friends and family about when I returned was the house brew of Pivovar U Flecku (and Prague is a remarkable city on its own). Off the beaten path of standard Prague touring, but well worth the hike. It's the only beer the place offers and it is chocolatey, roasty, buttery velvet in a mug. The taste itself was, for me, the beer's weakest asset, though quite delicious, as it was very sweet. The presentation was quite nice, however, and the sensation almost epic; a thumb's width of tan head left a nice lacing.

The atmosphere was a little silly: a touristy rendition of an old beer hall complete with oom-pah tuba and accordion music, and the food was standard Czech fare. The waitpersons, however, circulate continuously with handfuls of mugs containing U Flecku "House Beer."

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Well, everyone said I had to try this one in Prague, and they were right. Probably my second favorite beer there.

This stuff looks quite good, deep deep, color, almost black, with a nice tan head to top it off. Smells good, lots of roasted malts, and a bit of coffee and chocolate thrown in as well. The taste is quite good as well. Nice clean and crisp as a lager should be, but with a hefty amount of flavor. Lots of roasted flavors with a bit of hoppy goodness to round it out. Medium carbonation. I could drink this stuff all night if it weren't so expensive. All around an excellent beer and definitely a must try while you're in prague.

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Dark brown, clear, with a three finger head. Great retention and lacing. Toffee aromas and some molasses
Roasted malt goodness here, with little to no bitterness to get in the way. Caramel, toffee, watery coffee, and a hint of spiciness or liquirice. Very easy mouthfeel.

Finishes smooth and clean. Not too dry or sweet. Not that you'd notice though, since the waiter will have given you another before you've put the empty glass down...

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%