1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

U Fleku Dark Lager - U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace

U Fleku Dark LagerU Fleku Dark Lager

U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace visit their website
Czech Republic

Euro Dark Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 10-13-2002)
3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Huge, huge thanks to HJJH for getting this 1L growler out my way. Big surprise that they filled growlers of. Thought this was a DONG I'd have to wait awhile to try. Currently the #1 Euro Dark Lager. Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip.

Pours a dark brown with a light tan head and a bit of lacing. Thin collar. The nose brings a slight amount of roast as well as some mild hops and a slight acidic cherry character. The flavor is mostly malty with a bit of roast and some noticeable Continental hops. A bit of cherry there as well. Light body and slight acidity. Not bad at all, but not quite as good as the Moonlight dark lagers that I've come across. Interesting flavor and profile, though it doesn't quite measure up.

Thorpe429, Jul 15, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at U Fleků, Prague, Czech Republic

A: The beer is very dark amber (near black) in color and poured with a two finger high beige head. The head has good retention properties and took a look time to die down and also left lacy rings of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of chocolate malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of dark malts and chocolate. There is a little bit of sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer goes down very smoothly and is very sessionable.

metter98, Dec 09, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler, at the time of this review, this is the #1 Euro Dark lager, which is a bullshit style btw, on the best of beeradvocate lists. Imagine my surprise when Thorpe429 told me he had a growler of this previously believed to be DONG from the Czech republic, one of my top wants for a while, served in a Bruery tulip.

Beer is brown, dark, hazy with a thin head of small and medium bubbles, minimal lacing (if any at all) and low carbonation.

Aroma is nutty, sweet, the nuts dominate and win though.

Beer is tart and dark, mildly dry finish, you know what I think it is? Brett o. I thought about this review and description for a couple of hours and this is what I landed on. I think this beer is made or finished with Brett o. It is only mildly tart but not funky, not heavy but light on that palate. I did not enjoy this beer as much as I hoped. I think Death and Taxes is a superior beer by far and I'm basically done with this. Thanks for another #1 (if it survives the spot after this review) but I don't think I'd have it again.

drabmuh, Jul 15, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Here's the major (and perhaps only) reason to visit U Flecku.

Rocky beige head that leaves ring lace after each sip. Near black color where some light would come through the edge of the glass.

Strong yeast aroma with a darker (crystal or chocolate?) malt smell.

A complex blend of darker malt flavors. I can detect black patent grains. There is a good shot of hops at the swallow. The body is moderate with an above average level of carbonation. Frankly, this is a delicious treat.

smcolw, Dec 07, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Tasted this beer on tap at U Fleku at about 10:30am on 1 July 05. Never so early had I tasted any beer in my life, so my review of this beer can be biased, due to my still sleepy tastebuds at the time I suppose...

According to the waiter, the beer is 5%abv strong as I drink it. Served in 400ml (rather than a more common Czech 500 or 300ml glass/jug) jug, it looks almost pitch-black or very very dark brown in colour, coming with a browish, espresso-crema like thin beerhead... very enticing. The aroma has mixed in it lightly toasted bread, coffee beans, sweet roasted barley, moderate caramel, black-plum juice... generally a settled, both malty and fruity nose I could sense.

On the palate, it's generally rich dark-malty and consists of almost all the elements as I could sense from its aroma, with a tinge of black-fruit's tartness and fruity hops which provide very good balance between sourness and sweet maltiness. But perhaps because it is served one degree too cold, some of the flavours really are kept at bay. The aftertaste is equally affected as well, I think--a bit short and light, with a little bit of brown-sugary, sticky mouthfeel left on the sides of my tongue which I am not so fond of. Overall, it's a medium-bodied, medium-rich flavoured (for lagers) dark beer, though, as an ale-goer, I'd expect it to have more assertive flavour and complexity to be really interesting. But that's just my biased opinion on beers in general, and I do think it can be a much more complex and enjoyable dark lager if served at a slightly higher temperature.

wl0307, Jul 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

OK, so I was drinking a lot of pilsners in Prague and I'm a dark beer kind of guy. So this beer was music to my eyes and taste-buds. I drank it very fast.
Good dark brown/black color with an off-white/tan head of about 2 fingers. Smell of coffee, anise, and roasted malt.
Tasted like heaven (relatively). A bit sweet, and enough flavor to find coffee, caramel, almond and malt, but not overwhelming.
This beer was good so for me that I forgot to eat.

Mebuzzard, Aug 19, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Dark brown, almost black. It has a beautiful head, beige, very creamy and compact. Good appearance.
Light smell of malt, roasted malt, and caramel.
The taste is on the same way, with malt, caramel, and some roasted note. Quite drinkable.
Medium-light-light body.
Very drinkable.
Some bitter notes in the aftertaste, light liquorice, herbal bitterness. Not bad.

stcules, Sep 11, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

There is only one Beer available at the U Fleku, I never knew what it was called, I even asked and was told just "Pivo" once by a confused looking waiter, (this simply means beer). So I have just called it U Fleku "House Beer". I even tried to find out the strength again with total failure.
A black beer that reveals it is actually a very, very, dark brown ale when held to the light. Strong malty aromas if you can get near the beer for the head. Served in 0.4 liter straight sided glass mugs with a handle by the Waiters with lots of carbonation at first. This aids the huge foaming crusty brown head, which normally spills over the top of the glass. Hence the "sticky" table tops in the open Courtyard here and the flies in Summer !! A very smooth tasting and quaffable dark lager.

With the little information that is available about this beer, I tried to do some research and revealed that the ever dependant Michael Jackson had the answers I was looking for in his book Beer Companion, which states that "Four malts are used, to a gravity of 13 Plato (the system is used widely in Czech Republic my words not his!!), in a double-decoction system, and the beer is hopped three times with Saaz". The strength of 4.5% ABV is also taken from this book. Hope he doesn't mind me repeating that !!!

A classic very drinkable dark Czech Lager, one of the best available in the Czech Republic in my opinion.

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 13, 2002
4.01/5  rDev -6.7%

I know the place is touristy and overpriced, but I had to bring Alewife here once, S she had neveer been. Hell, I had only been once, way back in 1991. We each had a 0.4l mug, at 59CZK per, about $3.30 at the moment.

My short, dimpled mug was filled with a deep, dark, almost opaque mahogany brew. The heasd was a lovely rocky, foamy mocha-hued mass of foam, which lasted well and left great lace. Nose had nice choco notes, with some roasty action. Feel was smoth and medium; nuf ced.

A touch of light sweetness alit on the palate, with subtle cocoa powder and dark choco action following. Had a smidge of roastyness and a little bitterness following. The choco notes lingered well, like a mocha milkshake. Quite nice! Zum wohl!

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%

Bierman9, Oct 08, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

aztraz, Aug 30, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Beer on-tap, tasted in 2000 in the brewery.
Probably the pub-brewery's most famous in Prague. U Fleku is also said to be the oldest in the world (brewing since 1499).

Appearance : Dark brown color
Smell : liquorice, roasted
Taste and mouthfeel : Spicy, liquorice, bitter finish with sweet coffee aromas.
Dinkability : A very good beer not in the style "Euro dark lager" but Marzen (dark)

thierrynantes, Mar 12, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Adamostella, Sep 05, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best dark lager around. Prague has a lot of dark lagers but this micro is one of the best. You can only get in at u fleku which is kinda of expensive for what it is, but this beer is great.

Dark in color and has a light full flavor taste. Perfect example of what a dark lager should be. I can't locals were saying this beer was going down hill. How much better can it be.

CampusCrew, Oct 15, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

brystmar, Jul 07, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Spent a short week in Prague and the first thing i told my friends and family about when I returned was the house brew of Pivovar U Flecku (and Prague is a remarkable city on its own). Off the beaten path of standard Prague touring, but well worth the hike. It's the only beer the place offers and it is chocolatey, roasty, buttery velvet in a mug. The taste itself was, for me, the beer's weakest asset, though quite delicious, as it was very sweet. The presentation was quite nice, however, and the sensation almost epic; a thumb's width of tan head left a nice lacing.

The atmosphere was a little silly: a touristy rendition of an old beer hall complete with oom-pah tuba and accordion music, and the food was standard Czech fare. The waitpersons, however, circulate continuously with handfuls of mugs containing U Flecku "House Beer."

bruachan, Jul 14, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught at U Fleku. Served too cold. Very dark brown, nearly black colour - impenetrable for light. Moderate creamy tan head. Lovely aroma of leather and oak, dark chocolate and liquorice. Flavour is malty and moderately roasty, notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Never mind the inflated prices (by Czech standards), this beer is a must (at least once). And the liqueur we were forced to buy (which I drank AFTER the beer) actually tasted not-too-bad.

Sigmund, Mar 29, 2005

PhillyStyle, Dec 30, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

endless1408, Jun 01, 2014

herrburgess, Jun 02, 2013

paulys55, Jun 09, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on draught at U Fleku, Prague, Czech Republic.

Pours a beautiful dark brown with a tan head, clear, not cloudy. Smells very sweet, malty. Tastes too sweet, a lot of residual malt, no noticeable hops. Smooth and creamy, no extra CO2 noted, medium to thick on the tongue. Too sweet to have many, but a decent drink to try.

As stated before, U Fleku is a tourist trap you must visit in Prague. Avoid the awful liquor they put in front of you and expect you to pay for. More than one of these beers is too much.

cichief, Aug 13, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

It pours a dark brown with a lightish tinge around the edges and a light tan head. The aroma is buttery with some caramel and toffee, yet it is clean. The taste has some butter, caramel, some chocolate and is slightly sweet with a mild spiciness. There is low hops and bitterness, but it is smooth, clean and refreshing.

ark57, Jun 16, 2004

I2uss, Nov 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After having this beer numerous times before while studying literally around the corner, it became time for a review.

Its a dark mahogany brown lager with a very rich blackish hue. Head is voluminous and voluptuous. Light aromas of roast malt, some candy sugar. Dry in taste, smooth, easy and pairs excellently with roast pork and dumplings. Well done all around.

allboutbierge, Dec 29, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

If you go to Prague it is almost an obligation to go to the brew house of Pivovar U Fleku. The atmosphere is a little funky as it is a tourist recreation of an old beer hall. An accordion was playing music, and trying to play songs from each tourist’s country (We got California Here I Come). The beer was served too cold but I let it sit for a while before drinking. . It is a very dark brown tending toward black. . Average sized creamy tan head. Big nose of roasted malts and oak, along with dark chocolate and coffee. Flavor is much like the nose, and quite strong of roasted malts.

Tourist trap prices and they stick a little glass of liqueur in front of you and expect you to pay for it, which is a little irritating. There are waitpersons lurking about with big trays of beer ready to stick another mug in front of you the moment you finish drinking. But this stuff is actually a little unique, and a trip to Prague would not be complete without drinking a mug or two of this interesting brew.

rkuhnel, Dec 04, 2006