Dominus Vobiscum Triple - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Rastacouere on 02-12-2004

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Received in CANBIF 2006. Thanks, Matt!

This is a very good tripel, and a little fine-tuning could elevate it to sublime.

This beer pours bright copper with a dense, creamy head sitting at the top. It looks quite regal and not at all out of place in my Chimay goblet. The smell is dominated by malt and a yeasty bread aroma, though some spice is noticeable — just don't ask me what.

The taste is dominated by the malts, but they're well-balanced by the spiciness and an earthy quality. (I still find Belgian styles a little complex and sometimes it's hard for me to describe them.)

I have two quibbles with this beer, and they're easily remedied: the alcohol was a little sharp and the carbonation slightly abrasive. The classic tripels I've had (thinking especially of St. Bernardus) are smoother and easier-drinking despite the high ABV. (851 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes made on Jan 19, 2006. Pours an opaque orange brown colour. The appearance made me think of cider for whatever reason. Started with a bit of tan head, but the head didn't hold for too long.

The smell is spicy and tart, black pepper stood out to me. Appetizing, I frequently went back for another smell.

The taste is again quite tart. It is fairly dry throughout. The finish reminded me strongly of a lemon lime soda, like Sprite or SevenUp.

The mouthfeel was a touch lighter than I wanted, but still had some body to it. The carbonation was relatively low, and it was certainly drinkable.

I would love to have the opportunity to taste this beer again. I'd say it was one of the better triple's I've tasted. Thanks to orrshow for splitting this one with me. (778 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice looking squat bottle with a Maudite-like design. And the beer's pretty too. Not the standard triple in appearance -- the color ranges from dark orange to a kind of muddy brown once the yeast is poured, with a thinnish head but good lace. Lots of carbonation in this thing. It almost fizzed all over my table even after being stored in the fridge for weeks.
Standard spicy nose with hints of apricot. But as my buddy Eyechartbrew points out, it's in the flavor that this beer really distinguishes itself. There's a nice earthy farmhouse flavor that undergirds the standard fruity/spicy flavors and gives this beer some real character. It also serves to prevent it from becoming cloying as it finishes -- a problem I have with many an inferior triple.
All in all, quite a nice beer from a region of the world that doesn't have nearly the reputation for beer craftsmanship that it should. (893 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

The appearance of this stuff is appealing all around. 500 ml squat brown bottle, classy font and the image on the label--a fiery twilight sky over a small port nestled in a valley--foreshadows what is to be found once these contents are poured out from this container. A ruddy golden in appearance capped by a massive creamy white head, a tripel just on the verge of sunset. An effervescence on the nose, light and soothing, mild aromas of golden bread, yeast, with faint hints of pepper, coriander and apricot. The taste impresses even more, not bold but very rounded and flavourful. Alcohol-laced bread up front, with a swatch of mild spice in the middle, which then rounds out with a light lemony citrus twist on the finish. Not at all overpowering for the alcohol content, in fact an applaudable show of craftsmanship to contain a profile that could otherwise get right out of control, to keep it succinct instead of going off in every direction. A well-contained balanced tripel. The mouthfeel is the converse of the aroma, it is thick and full and creamy, yet takes a light billowy texture on the finish, more akin to what the aroma first hinted at. Although I like a decent tripel every once in a while, it isn't a style I aggressively seek out on a regular basis. However this Dominus Vobiscum, if it ever were available locally, would easily become a mainstay in my fridge and in one of my chalices, I never thought I could ever consider a tripel as a session beer. One that would have to be reined in tightly so that things wouldn't end in tears the next day, but easily a Belgian that I could spend a very comfortable and pleasurable evening with. Many thanks and a humble bow to Goldorak for his fine taste in BIF-ing this to me. In my eyes Quebec still remains the cultural capital of Canada, and that goes double for the majority of their microbreweries as well. (1,876 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle: Poured a clear orangey brown color ale with an above average head with medium retention. Aroma of strong spices (pepper) and lots of sweetness. Taste is quite spicy again from something resembling pepper but does a good job of mixing with the sweet malt and the dominant Belgian yeast. Body is really full which surprise me a bit and alcohol is not detectable. Above average tripel. (390 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Opaque, orangy with a light head with bubbles that reminded me of honeycombs. I'm surprised the head wasn't tougher than this, maybe my glass wasn't properly rinsed...Light sediment could be found at the bottom of my glass. I had this at a friend's house, so he kept the appropriate Dominus glass (really, really nice, easily the nicest glassware for any Québec micro I've ever seen) for himself.

Smell: Totally yeasty, it had that smell of bread that I enjoy a lot. Alcohol very present.

Taste: Rich, full, yeasty, maybe a little banana bread, with some spice you find in most tripels that I can't put my finger on. No, it's not coriander, but I wouldn't exclude cardamone, or maybe even nutmeg. I don't have those on my spice rack, so I can't be sure, but I will investigate further.

A solid offering from one of Québec's best small micros. (866 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Very decent smooth orange creme triple. Fruity yeast aroma and taste.Great lace and orange tinge. Mid sip pepper corriander anise. Lemon on aftertaste. Unique in its style, I can see why this is a high-ranked Quebec and maybe this brewery's best. WIll be sampling these guys. (275 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Another awesome Belgian style beer from Quebec, who knew? Martin:-)? Anyway, what others have said about this one is true, the appearance is very different than that of your average triple. This triple pours out a fiery reddish amber colour with orange edges and a nice off-white head that stays for ages, leaving nice lacing. The aroma is very spicy with coriander coming through strongly. I also smell some sweet fruit aromas, apricots come to mind. The taste is very spicy up front with the coriander taking center stage again, the middle is fruity with some dried fruit notes coming into play, and the finish is dry, a bit hoppy, and a little bitter. All, in all, this beer reminds me (in appearance, aroma, abv, and taste) of Maudite from Unibroue. In fact it reminds me of Maudite, a lot! The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and the drinkability is very good for a 9%abv brew! Another winner from Charelvoix! (913 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12%

Beautiful deep golden color with a fine good-laced white head that stays long, fed by much above average carbonation for a triple. The aroma is malty sweet of caramel and oranges. Very sweet triple with caramelic malt, big orange, apple, alcohol tones. Probably Charlevoix's yeastiest beer (in what I've had anyway). The finish is less interesting, tired hops provides a little wet paperboard bitter taste.
Since the 3 excellent Dominus Vobiscum have become more available recently, I'll make it a duty to go back and re-visit that one knowing that Charlevoix can do wonder with this style (8e jour) (600 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last