Dominus Vobiscum Double - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Quebec, Canada

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Beersignal on 06-03-2006

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

I love to travel to find great beer. The LCBO is certainly improving their beer selection, however by getting out of Ontario you can open your fridge to a new world of exciting beers we just don't see. The two most prominent destinations for me from Toronto are Buffalo and Quebec; both have many strong qualities as a beer buying destination, but Quebec may trump Buffalo in terms of random excitement.

Last time I was in Quebec, as usual, I grabbed a slew of random beers I'd never seen before, as well as beers whose labels I could not read or understand. Among the more legible beers was the Dominus Vobiscum Double, brewed by Microbrasserie Charlevoix located in Charlevoix Quebec. This would certainly be a new one to me, and I do love a good double, so I was excited.

Also, the Quebec brewers seem to have a strong understanding of Belgian style brewing, so I was hopeful for a good example here.

I took the Vobiscum out of the fridge about 10 minutes before I wanted to enjoy it so that it could warm up a little. You never want to have a beer that is rich like a double at fridge temperature; you will numb your palate and loose much of the flavor and aroma in the beer. This is precisely why the commercial brewers promote serving their beers ice cold; so you can't taste how bad they are! But I digress.

The Vobiscum comes in a 500ml bottle and is 9.0% abv, another sign that these brewers are not simply messing around. Poured into a nice deep chalice, it flowed smoothly roaring a luscious head immediately. I slowed my pour as to not get more head than beer, and a beautiful and dense rocky beige tan head developed perfectly. The beer resting below was a hugely deep ruby brown shimmering with black and oak notes, dark mahogany and slight golds. It certainly looked the part so far.

The nose also stood the test ranging from caramel, figs, prunes, apricots, and dark chocolate to cloves, cinnamon, allspice, pepper, and licorice. It had a faint yeasty alcohol note on the end, and overall a mellow sweet warming malt sensation the whole way through. It was big and round like a double should be, so in I went for the real test.

Diving into the beer it brought rich dark fruity malts immediately across my tongue followed by rich prunes, plums, deep caramel malts and some dark malts as well. Soon enough, the sweet and rich malt was joined by clove, allspice, cinnamon, coriander, and pepper with dark chocolate finding its way in the back end. There are candied pears and peaches as well as licorice in the heart of the beer too. It's vastly complex with massive flavors everywhere - but they are bright, fresh and distinct, rather than overbearing or dense.

A moderate amount of delicate carbonation on an otherwise full bodied beer creates an elegant and smooth mouthfeel complimenting the beer's presence and overall character. Very little hops are to be found, as should be the case in a double, so balance comes from the smooth bitter chocolate helping round out the beer. Its alcohol is perfectly masked by the delicious flavors of the beer which are full and supremely balanced amongst each other.

The finish was smooth, clean and warming leaving me wanting more... much more! This was excellent. I was enjoying it with some friends and I could not stop talking about how perfect it was. I don't think that Microbrasserie Charlevoix's beers are available outside of Quebec, so if you are ever there make sure you find some! I have their Triple waiting for me in the fridge.

3.82/5  rDev -3%

Note: bottle states 'Embouteillee le / bottled on : 2010 Fev 04 14:06', consumed on June 30, 2010

A: Hazy mahogany, with a bit of golden hue around the edges. Big head calls for a slow pour or patience with topping it off.

S + T: Raisin, fig, and a hint of rum & butter. A bit of a fruitbread flavour is a nice touch. Modest licorice / anise offers a balance and a touch of bitterness. As it warms, that becomes a little more pronounced - maybe just a little much.

*M + D: Not quite as 'sparkling' as some, but a very assertive carbonation. It helps the retention of the head, as well. Decent sipper...some alcohol warmth peeks through.

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a ruby-brown colour with huge head. Great lacing and head retention. Smell is of dark malt and licorice. Quite spicy too, I suppose this is the anise. This tastes almost like a winter warmer mixed with a dubbel. It is quite interesting. Great carbonation level.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a dark purplish-brown color with a two-finger cream-colored head. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of sweet dark malts with good amounts of anise. Also present and intensifying as the beer warms are moderate amounts of dried plums and raisins.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Dark malts with good amounts of Belgian candi sugar and anise flavors kick things off. Midway through the sip the anise flavors fade a bit to allow for dried dark fruits - raisins and prunes as in the aroma - to work their way into things. Very mild amounts of brown sugar make a brief appearance before fading into a mildly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was a good beer but I have to think that it could benefit a bit if the anise notes were toned down. Still, a solid effort and worth a shot to see for yourself.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Brown sugar, near white head, slow to leave. Nice cling.

S - Spices abound! Spices and maybe some yeast.

T - Holiday spices are about all I can taste. Not my favorite.

M - Good carb, good coating, too much spice.

D - As you might have guessed, not my cup of tea.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a goblet. Had a brown color with red tints. Slightly cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: A vibrant aroma of yeast, spices, sweets and malt.

T: Tasted of malt, caramel, cinnamon, and yeast. Not classically a dubbel, but so flavorful it doesn't matter.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An excellent, drinkable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a mild brown color with a one-finger head into my tulip. Sufficient presentation for the style.

Aroma is full of spice, raisin, plum, grape in the nose and seems pretty decent for the style. Opens up after a few minutes.

Taste has spice, raisin and grape as the flavors that show up. Kind of thin-bodied at first but gives way to a decent amount of malt that coats the mouth.

Mouthfeel is once again, thin but the flavors are seemingly well-done to where they linger slightly. This beer is all about the malt.

Very nice example from a brewery I've never heard of until now. Glad to see more Quebec microbreweries getting distribution in Vermont, seeing how close both places are.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a dark ruby/brown color. A large, tightly packed tan head rises to over two fingers. The rocky foam slowly recedes and leaves some sticky lace behind.
S: Lightly toasted and sweet caramel malt. Cinnamon, vanilla, and chocolate. Some spice and funky yeast. Dried dark fruits of cherries and raisins. Really good and complex.
T: Not as complex as the nose, but still good. Sweet candy and caramel malt. A spicy cinnamon flavor with some yeast.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Creamy and smooth. A very easy to drink beer. A good beer to sip.

This is really good. There are lots of complexities that makes for a very enjoyable and unique Dubbel. Something I would highly recommend.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

03-05_2010- bottle
A- Darkest ruby. Light beige head is thick and looks chewy and marshmallowy, but still recedes to a thin layer. Spotted lacing.

S- Ethanol. Black candy licorice. Carbonation. Brown sugar. Dried prunes.

T- Similar to smell. Very sweet. Bitterness is reminiscent of black licorice's. A little chocolate. Alcohol doesn't feel as strong as it is.

M- High carbonation. Full bodied. Very smooth.

D- Good. Would be better to me if I liked black licorice more. I still want another one after the first bottle.

Like a fine black licorice soda. Quality drink, just not really my thing.

December 31st 2010- bottle
Only a few months later and I like it better now.
Don't notice the black licorice as much. Much better head retention and general look.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Pour lightly with this one, there's certainly no shortage of head. Poured into a Fin du Monde chalice, this brew is opaque and dark, woody brown in colour. Huge rocky cream coloured head recedes to an airy one-finger cover. Bits of lacing. Beautiful beer, the only improvement would be some more lacing.

Huge smell. Powerful yeast, astringent citrus, caramel malt, figs, clove, cinnamon, coriander, allspice, licorice. Complex and delicious. Only improves as it warms.

Tons of flavour. Incredibly balanced and complex. Dark caramel, yeast, minerals, lots of spice (cloves, allspice and cinnamon being most obvious), candied fruit and more obvious licorice than I've ever found in a beer. The 9% ABV is nowhere to be found. Reminiscent of both Trois Pistoles and Aventinus; maybe it's like a combination of the two plus licorice. If you like either of those, you'll like this. I'd say I prefer this to Trois Pistoles, actually (but not quite to Aventinus). I can't really think of an improvement I would suggest for this. I really wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Creamy medium body and a Unibroue like carbonation, though maybe a touch less.

This is a serious beer. Back when I was first getting into beers, I bought Charlevoix's Triple thinking that since it was one more than Double it must be better. Was that ever stupid. I realized recently that I didn't ever go back to try the Double. This is by far the best of the 500ml Dominus Vobiscum releases. I'm kicking myself for not having tried this a long time ago. This is one of the top regularly-bottled beers in the country and one of my new favorites.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Serving type; bottle

Appearance: brown color with amber light, massive moka headfoam, lace

Smell: smell like raisin bread, fruit

Taste: complex mix between spices,cinamon,raisin bread, fruit, alcool,

Mouthfeel: a bit like liquor,dense, low carbonation

DrinkAbility: this is a sipper, taste last long a lot of diffentent taste, high alcool level make this brew very interesting for a nice winter drink

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

500l bottle poured into Unibroue chalice oct21 2009

A cloudy brownish copper with half a glass of beige head that has good retention but leaves only patches of lace. the bottle was bigger then my glass so every re-pour no matter how light gave it another big head

S I get some cherries and some yeast

T not what I expected from the smell lots of licorice and some spice with very little booze. quite unique in a good way

M a fair bit of carbonation gives it a creamy feel and it was not as heavy as I thought it would be

D very well rounded beer, several small things add up for a beer that's well worth trying

This is the second beer from Charlevoix I've tried and I'm thinking I need too try more of what they offer. These just came too Alberta and I'm better off because of it, can't wait for more of these beers to hit the shelves out west

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

This bottle came courtesy of zorprime - thanks Eric.

Pours a rich mahogany with a good finger of tan head, that had good retention and lace. The aroma is unique for a dubbel and leans heavily on anise (it mentions this on the bottle too). Beyond that are the standard dubbel notes of sweet malts, spice and perhaps even a hint of bread.

As with the aroma, the flavour goes yard on the aniseed, which is interesting, but isn't a big plus for me because I've never been fond of that foul herb. Still its a good beer, and well made, although the anise is perhaps a little overplayed. Bready malts combine with raisin to give a nice sweet base, and the yeast contributes a pleasant spiciness.

Mouthfeel is good - medium bodied with a decent soft carbonation.

I'm slowly ploughing my way through the Charlevoix lineup and its been a great experience so far. They seem to be a consistently strong brewery, and some of the beers have a wonderfully fragrant flavour.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Another 500ml bottle split courtesy of Bobsy, I think we may have drank more of yours than mine... Thanks though!

Pours a dark brown/mahogany with hints of amber, nice thick tan head.

Nose is toffee and bready malts, hint of orange rinds and lemons, some floral notes, spices, dark fruits. Spicier than your average dubbel.

Nice bready and caramel malts, raisins and dark fruits, candied oranges, gingerbread, cinnamon and other spices, almost a herbal tea quality dryness in the finish yet fuller and sweeter in the body.

Along with the Blanche, I think this is one of their better beers. A spicier, citrus twist on a traditional dubbel that works wonderfully. Thanks Rob!

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

Deep maple brown in colour, with some light managing to pass through. Huge head forms, foamy and beige, and it tests my patience waiting for it to settle.

Aroma is big, I smell it from distance. Ripe red cherries, licorice, a peppery spice and a root beer type sweetness all reach the nose. Complex and inviting, what else could you ask for in an aroma?

Taste doesn't quite live up to the nose. Dominated by sweetness, the impression of a cream soda hits me. There is some spiciness and alcohol warmth to mix it up.

Body comes across a touch thinner than I'd hope for. Carbonation is high, a bit sharp on the tip of the tongue. Not bad, but I like a fuller body.

All things considered this is a pretty drinkable 8.5% ABV beer.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

This was an excellent find- I'm headed back to the store for the other styles available from this brewer.

Nice and dark with a thick and tight tan head. Smells of licorice.
Tastes like heaven- sweet with spicy notes. The bottle says Star Anise and I totally get that.
Although the carbonation is active, it is not overly so and it has a pleasant sparkly feel in the mouth.
One bottle a night would be about as much as you could handle but it is definitely one to buy more of.

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had to let this one settle in the glass and warm up to see where they were going with the style. It is really a spiced belgian dubbel that almost tastes like Xmas ale ( think Unibroue 17). Not the most complex beer it also suffers from a little too much sweetness ( cellaring may be a good idea). The beer benefits from the spices as without it would be an average Belgian style ale. I found it a beer that one glass would suffice due to the spice and the sweetness

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured in a chalice ( look how far I've come...;) )

Dark Mahogany red when held up to a light. Tons of carbonation, as evidenced by the overflow of foam from a vigourous pour. Rich tan pudding like head. Lacing a let down, but's really all how it tastes.

Smell is not as complex as some of the Belgian offerings. Dried candied fruit, some definte phynolic action,

Lot's of sweet candy, bubblegum, dried fruit and a touch of herbs, just can't put my finger on them just yet.. Slight hop bite. Quite boozy.

Could be a bit easier on the palate in terms of carbonation and alcohol bite, but still falls in the medium body area.

Interesting how Quebec leads the way in Canada in terms of making some gutsy brews. This one falls short of the Belgians, but compared to what Big Rock has dared and tried lately...

3.17/5  rDev -19.5%

Tasted on July 6, 2008.

A: Dark brown. Looks like mud! No head.

S: Banana, licorice and sugar. I would say this is typical for dubbel... based on my little experience.

T: Licorice and fruity (dark fruits). Not my taste...

M: Medium body.

D: I can only have one per session so I would say it is average...

Would need to revisit this one later... I would guess my beer experience is too young to really appreciate this type of beer.

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark brown in a goblet, but holding it up to the light reveals a deep ruby foundation. Lots of carbonation and an off-white frothy head that dies slowly. Not a lot of lacing but the head retention is stellar.

The aroma is mostly oxidized apples, dried dark fruits, spice and readily apparent alcohol.

A little tart and crisp at first, with an underlying sweet, rich cherry and raisin center that follows, and a lingering dry finish with phenolic spice and medicine in the aftertaste. Warming alcohol. Has a slightly vinous character to it.

The mouthfeel is crisp and dry, nice and full. Good carbonation.

Overall an okay dubbel but if I had to nitpick I'd say it's a little too high on the ABV and a little overly phenolic for my tastes.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

500ml bottle, in a hotel room in downtown Montreal. Shitty things have to be done when you forget to bring a bottle opener on vacation, and the hotel staff are less than helpful in that regard.

This beer pours a clear, very dark ruby brown hue, with slight orange edges, and a copious amount of puffy, densely foamy beige head, which leaves substantial speckled lace around the glass as it rather slowly melts away.

It smells somewhat mildly of caramelized toffee, bready malt, apple puree, dates, brown sugar, with the usual Belgian suspects of clove, coriander, and yeast pushing to the front. The taste is molasses, caramel malt, a hint of cocoa, cloves, sweet ginger - just like my mom's ginger spice cookies - that is if they had an addition of earthy, leafy hops. Hardly a whisper of the 16-proof booze comes through, by the by.

The carbonation is fairly mild (probably due to the difficulty we had opening the bottle without any metal implement whatsoever, and the attendant time it took), with just a wee hum here and there, the body a decent medium weight, and maybe a little lacking in overall smoothness. It finishes surprisingly less than sweet, the sticky molasses and caramel backbone standing firm, sure, but against a stern grainy, spicy, and hoppy dryness.

A well-rendered double, deftly balanced, the alcohol certainly obfuscated. I would cite this as a purely easy-drinking version of the style - eventual booze and ingress challenges aside, of course.

4.06/5  rDev +3%

A: One of the most gorgeous beer I've ever seen. Pours a dark ruby ale, fully translucent. Head is tan and very very strong.

S: Malt sweetness comes upfront like always. A nice blend of toffee, caramel, cinnamon. Pepper and cloves are there like on most belgians. Nice floral hop aroma present too. Smell is a bit light though.

T: Strong malt sweetness upfront. Toffee is very strong, but caramel is still there. Cinnamon is very strong. Some honey too. Pepper, cloves and coriander are there. Nice floral hops taste (most belgians aren't strong on hops but this one definitely has some and they are great!). Ends with a delicious dried dark fruits alcoholic taste.

M: Mid to heavy mouthfeel. Really creamy all around with a nice mid carbonation that fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for more

D: High. Very balanced brew, easy to drink with only the ABV to slow you down.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Viggo brought this one over. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. sampled jan 29/09.

pours deep brown and nearly opaque with a big fluffy tan head. the head drops slowly and leaves lots of lace.

aroma is neat. definitely a bit on the wild side. malt vinegar. lemon and other light citrus. touch of oak and earthy character. some dark fruit. alcohol.

taste is good. not as funky as the aroma. dark fruit. multi-grain bread. bit of cracker. light alcohol. wine and oak. bit of earthy character. touch of lemon and malt vinegar, but fairly faint. touch of sweet caramel and dark fruit.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium-high carbonation level.

drinkability is good. the sweetness is a bit higher than i expected, but it's pretty tasty. alcohol is hidden pretty well.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

500 ml bottle purchased in Montreal.

Pours a hazy reddish orange, some light brown hues, medium sized but thick light tan head, settles to a medium layer and thick ring, few lace spots but great retention. Smell is sweet and malty, yeast, brown sugar, cherries and dark fruit, raisins, spice, gingerbread, a lot of raw sweetness but not too over the top. Taste is very sweet and malty, lots of fruit, strawberries and melon, cherries, gingerbread, spices, brown sugar, honey, yeasty, orange peel, wheat, pretty interesting, nice finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation, some warmth, little bit of peppery heat going down, some alcohol. A little warm and a bit thick for a dubbel, but not too bad.

500 ml bottle courtesy of glouglouburp. Appearance- dark ruby red, good clarity. Huge head, four fingers at least. Minimal lacing, just a soapy head patty in the middle of the glass. Nose- really spicy, licorice. Taste- big spice presence, various spices (clove,cinamon anise), dark and citrus fruits, light roast and sweet finish. Very complex. Mouthfeel- medium, low carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Dominus Vobiscum Double from Microbrasserie Charlevoix