Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: rodenbach99 on 12-30-2007

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edition 2007. Served at 50 degrees.

A: Pours dark brown in a chalice, with a decent head that sticks around forever.

S: Slightly sweet notes of brown sugar, spices are also present. Nice without being in your face (think Unibroue).

T: Dominated by malts, bit of caramel taste accompanied by spices. This beer does nothing in excess but everything seems to fit well together. The more it warms up, the better its gets. A great beer. There is also an underlying molasses or brown sugar sweetness.

M: Fairly thick with a smooth texture and it leaves a lasting drying effect in the mouth. Mild carbonation fits the rest perfectly.

D: Alcohol wasn't apparent for a 10% beer. It was hard to pace myself through it.

Overall, I was really looking forward to this beer and it didn't disappoint. I saved a few to age and I can't wait to see how it develops. Definately raised the bar for the Belgian dark ales. If you're lucky enough to have one of those lying around, this is an exceptional beer, enjoy every sip.

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle: Poured a deep clear brown color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention and some nice lacing. Aroma of spices (anis) with great Belgian malt touch with some light sweet notes also noticeable. Taste is dominated by anis with some creamy sweet caramel Belgian malt some light spicy notes. Full body with great creamy texture and some perfect carbonation with no apparent alcohol. The only negative point that I could notice is that spices tends to be too heavy at some point but apart from that everything is perfect.

4.61/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer has a dark red-brown that is very appealing and a creamy and thick foam head. Lacing made of small bubbles can be seen in the glass.

Odours of hops, caramels and dark fruits is perceptible. This beer tastes sugary, but in a classy way. Caramels, brownies, ripe fruits. Very interesting. Excellent balance. Almost perfect texture. Alcohol could be hidden better, but I like it that way. Deserves to be made in larger quantities!!!

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

I picked this beer without really knowing about it. And I don't pay 15$ on a daily basis for beer so it was mostly a wild pick.

I was very impressed by the taste of the beer, mixing various spices and being very sweet - without going over the limits. At that time (I was a very neophyte), it was the best beer I had in my short taster's experience.

For a hi ABV, you do not feel the taste of alcohol - which can be dangerous with a bottle of 750ml :)

I'll probably buy another one once I find one to elaborate my review.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I received a bottle of Hibernus from a colleague, and friend, that traveled to Quebec often. I laid it down for over a year waiting for a chance to share it with him. After he got hooked on a low carb diet I decided to pop this open on a cold February night in MD. I knew nothing about the beer prior to opening, but found it to be the perfect beer to, "comfort me from the wintery season."

Smell: When at the lower end of the recommended temp this beer has distinctively flowery, belgian yeast notes (but subtle) with a rich malt base that brings to mind a bowl of ripened mixed fruits (some dried appricot). As it warms, the richness become more and more pronounced, but not overdone.

Glass: I used a big ole brandy snifter and was glad I did. This beer deserved to be served in one of the better glasses I own.

Look: After a rigorous pour my glass wore a moderate-sized tan head and an enticing caramel brown bottom with red highlights. The head faded relatively quickly, leaving just thin cover resembling a pock-marked lunar landscape.

Mouthfeel: Evervescence adds a silky lightness to slickness underneath.

Taste: The big ripened fruit boldness that your other senses derive from this beer is somehow delicately balanced in the taste by carbonation and abv - but you'll have to use your sixth sense to peg this as a 10 percenter. I can't quite place the source of the beer's bittering counter balance prior to a quick drying out, leaving a hint of caramel that is eventually overcome by a lingering memory, of a granny smith apple.

Overall Impression: Outstanding. I have to deliberately pace myself as I find that I'm continuously drawn back to another sip. I lift the snifter, admire its seasonably fashionable contents, then give the glass a brief swearl to reset the landscape and release a fresh blast of an ever-growing likeness to fresh fruitcake. A moderate swig dispells any fear of cloying sweetness, and gets me thinking of traveling back to Canada. I've got to at least make it to Toronto for a festival this summer. Hmmm.

Food: I paired this with my some homemade chicken soup with a moderate dash of Cayene pepper to heat it up a little. The soup provided the additional liquid I needed to consume while I slowly sipped this beauty down. The added pepper seemed to stand up well, but not overpower, the beer. Also thought this might pair well with some venison jerky.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml bottle to a snifter.

A: pours a deep dark brown with a foamy 2 finger off white head that breaks down quickly leaving a thin film.

S: wow. So much going on here. Sweet, dark fruits, prunes, bananas, cloves and other spices along with yeast.

T: again the sweet is there, the dark fruits and prunes are up front, with the spices and yeast taking up the finish. The finish has a very mild anise taste, which is quite pleasant.

M: medium carbonation and a medium body that makes this enjoyable.

O: okay, this has to be one of the best offerings from Charlevoix. It may be one of the better Quebec beers I've had. It is a great sipper that makes for an enjoyable evening. I would recommend it be enjoyed with a nice meal.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

tan colored head reached skyward to a eight that easily surpassed the top of the glass. Good thing this pour was into a 24oz glass. Nice, opaque brown color was evident from the start with a rich looking hazelnut tone to it. The head finally calmed down after about twenty minutes but still dropped tons of foam and lace along the glass.

The aroma was very nice, a little bit ruddy at first. Hints of chcoalte and caramel, rich belgian spice and a wonderful bit of dark fruit all dancing around wonderfully inside of it. But it was once I took a sip that everything really came together for me. A wave of cascading brown sugar and tart apples just rolled across the tongue. Enormously rich and vigorous, this was just a wonderful thing to behold. Nice touches of chocolate and rich toffee like notes were all balanced well in advance of a lovely dark fruit tone that led the charge once the yeast kicked in. Nice notes of prunes and rasins, hints of plums and dark cherries were all very much evident in the profile. The carbonation was spot on, as the rich, velvet like bubbles converged on the tongue and added to the prickly pepper like spices that lasted long into the finish.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml bottle poured into corsendonk chalice mar24 2010

A when held to a light it has a ruby red glow, other then the crazy amount of bubbles its clear enough to read these words through it. a large beige head had pretty good retention slowly falling to a thin film but only left a few patches of lace

S lots going on here a fair bit of brown sugar some molasses, raisin, cherry, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a little honey with some booze but not the 10% I see printed on the bottle

T not far from the smell I may pick on just a little bit of yeast but for the most part it's a winter warmer on steroids. its sweet but well within my range for enjoyment, not what I was expecting but not at all disappointed
edit: as it warms I ended up with a fair bit of licorice, enough that I felt a edit was needed

M not as thick as I thought it would be but not thin by any means almost syrupy and decent carbonation works well for it, a smooth beer is never a bad thing

D no issues drinking this beer for a strong ale it goes down pretty fast.

man I love this brewery just great beer after great beer, I'm not sure I've had a bad one or even a B+ for that matter. I must admit I don't like paying 17$ a bottle for this one but I'm still going to buy another to see how it ages

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Very dark copper color with bright red hues. Light brown rocky head with an excellent retention for the ABV and a nice lacing.

S - Very omplex smell, bready malt (a bit toasted), yeast, scpicies, nutty, some dark fruits and candy sugar. Very typical from trappists.

T - Lots of spicy notes coming from the alcohol. Good malt sweetness with some esters. Raw sugar is lingering next to alcohol and hop for a slight bitterness and some herbal notes.

M - Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium to full body.

O - Inscredible balance and perfectly to style. This beer has nothing on the greatest trappist names, just seek it out!

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Deep ruddy brown with a huge tan head that is slow to recede. Looks just like a dark Belgian beer should.

Full of fruity richness, a strong grape juice impression, with a solid amount of yeastiness in the mix. Spicy, cardamon for sure, but that certainly isn't the only spice.

Sweet and fruity to taste, grapes and even a bit of fig impression. There is a certain licorice to the finish mixed in with the yeasty notes that completely masks the alcohol. I get a unique peach impression, I can't seem to remember ever coming across the same flavour in any other brew. It is really good.

A little fuller than medium bodied, with a smooth creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the lighter side, which really seems to work for this beer.

This is a great beer, right up my alley. Sweet and smooth and interesting.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

2009 Vintage.

Beer is dark chestnut brown with a substantial light tan head. Lots of activity in the head. Head recedes relatively quickly and settles into a film, leaving a fair bit of lacing.

Smell is full of cherry, spices, raisin and nice, sweet malt scents. In addition to the cherry, I start to pick up some other berry scents. Belgian yeast as well. Very good.

Taste is lovely. Lots of cherry as well as some juicy raspberry, red grape, and raisin. The fruit flavours are mixed with spices and sweet malt. Alcohol is very well hidden. Great.

Fairly high carbonation level, a little too much. Full bodied, juicy.

Overall, another fantastic beer from Charlevoix. Definitely one of my favourite Canadian breweries. A really nice take on the BSDA. Not sure how it is fresh, but with 2+ years on it, this beer is drinking really nicely.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours clear deep ruby color with a bit of orange in it. Good head volume and retention, color is pale beige. Lacing is phenomenal.

S: Typically Belgian: very spicy, fruity, nutty and sweet. Tons of brown sugar, toffee, licorice and molasses present. Spices present are: nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. Tons of fruits too: bananas, cherries, green apples, pears and grapes. Very strong and complex nose.

T: More of the same. Brown sugar, toffee, molasses and licorice are very present. Big bread like taste. The fruits are still there, bananas, cherries, pears and grapes (couldn't get the green apples though). A bit of tartness too. Spices are still there and very strong: nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Really the nose depicted really well the taste of this brew. And there's this alocohol taste that compliments all of these others. The tastes are easily identified.

M: Mid to heavy body and mid carbonation. I think for this one I would have preferred a more dominant feel.

D: Big beer, but the taste isn't aggressive. The only thing that can stop you is maybe the alcohol taste (but I enjoyed it since it mixed well with the other tastes.

Well, compared to the other reviews, I feel like I'm over-hyping this one. I don't see why the scores aren't higher for this one since I think this brew is much better than Unibroue's "La Maudite" or "Trois Pistoles" and is definitely a world class Strong Dark Belgian.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up in a bottle shop down the street of Dieu du Ciel. I dropped this one and cracked the cap slightly so unfortunately couldn't cellar it as long as I'd hoped to.

The beer pours with a huge tan head, very bubbly and foamy. A beautiful, clear dark cherry burgundy body lurks below this fuelling an excellent level of head retention, this leave a fine trail of lace on its slow decent.

What a nose on this one! Strong toffee and caramel notes flow out first followed by hints of coffee and very ripe banana. Smells of raisin pear and apple add some fruity finesse to the aroma. More robust aromas of burnt sugar and bitter chocolate make the bouquet even more appealing. Finally a boozy note of fermented dates rounds out this great nose.

Boozy notes of ice wine, rum chocolates, port and whiskey mix with spicy hints of nutmeg. Roasted chocolaty notes round out the massive middle, dark chocolate mousse and cocoa butter compliment the boozy qualities well adding to the warming effect of this high proof elixir.
The body is velvety smooth and mouth coating adding to the warming nature. A medium low level of carbonation helps this along.

A wonderful beer very complex and intriguing pity it's I wasn't able to save this for the harsher days to come. Highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hibernus' fig coloured liquid is snowed-in beneath an avalanche of off-white powder - how appropriate for a winter seasonal. In all seriousness, the tint of its head does actually like dirty snow, the lacing of which turns the glass into a snow-globe, and the dark beer's tone is emblematic of those long December nights.

The aroma is sweet as jam and smacks of raspberry preserves and chocolate fondue. Belgian Strong Dark Ales tend to be yeast-powered and, while complex, very predictable; this bouquet, however, is unexpectedly rich malt-wise while still brimming with those spicy, savoury, fruity elements of the yeast. I wish I had seven nostrils with which to appreciate all of it.

To say that this drinks like plum pudding on steroids would be in a way accurate, but it would also downplay the beer's complexity and richness. It's distinctive enough that I don't feel it fair to liken it to anything else - beer, dessert, or otherwise. This flavour offers notes of raisin, dried cherries, chocolate-covered raspberries, dark caramel, and sticky toffee pudding and they're all doused in citrus zest, mace, clove and nutmeg.

Hibernus has a sweet port-like complex, citrus zest, and savoury spiciness that make it perfectly suited to the holiday season. It also has the substantial, hearty maltiness and warming effect (9.5%, though you'll never taste it) that drinking it all winter long is certainly appropriate too. Surprising for its strength, it is soft as a teddy-bear and approachable to everyone.

As far as winter seasonals go, Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus is the full package - and has the price tag to show for it. Despite its stellar reputation - and Microbrasserie Charlevoix's tremendous track record - I put off buying a second bottle until I could try things for myself - now I'm going back to buy up the whole store. The Quebecois know how to do winter right.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Made it my number 900 rating and still alive. Held onto this treat (bott 2013/7/10) and broke it open a bit over a year later. Colour is quite a dark ruby brown caramel, thick caramel colour but not black. With a nice head and film of dark tan head. Retention and lacing are impressive.

A - slightly tart cherries, figs, plenty of yeasty esters, with some complex florals, lively aroma, some pleasant spiciness comes through, get some ginger maybe cinnamon, rich treacle character, toffee, a delicious spiced christmas cake character altogether.

T - similar with a really pleasant fruity character upfront. cherries, dark raisins and dates, then a little candied orange, rolling caramel notes with prunes and some tart apple, some light alcohol spice that is quite undetectable but adds a nice warmth and compliment. Yeasty complexity adds a pleasant compliment with some warm peppery and anise character from the spice. Finish has some toffee sweetness as the caramel dries out and leaves some drying dark fruits on the aftertaste. A really interesting arrangement of fruity, malty, yeast and spice characters, that work and balance out quite nicely.

M - certainly a sipper and after dinner warming beer for winter nights. A big body, but with enough carbonation to lift some of the heavy caramel malt and alcohol into a really lively and complex mouthfeel, also so soft and smooth especially as it develops on the palate. Dry (and crisp) finish but then an increasingly spicy aftertaste.

Very well executed. This is a very complete and satisfying beer, pleasant level of caramel malts, the light hop bitterness allows some of the spice and yeast to really add nice levels of depth. Taste has a really full fruity spice to it and a rich caramel baked character with a hint of baking spices that bring you to fruitcake around a fireplace. I enjoyed this, didn't have many faults by my view. Alcohol was really masked. Would recommend this, certainly will look for it in the future. Beautiful beer.
And on to the next 900!

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one from Freud in a trade over a year ago. Thanks again for the cool box of Quebec happiness man!

From a 750ml bottle into a wine glass.
Vintage: 2009
Tasted before Lupulus

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking, light tan head with great retention. A cloudy cedar brown or dark amber color with higher levels of carbonation. A good wisp remains until the end, but only touches of lacing down the glass. A pretty good looking beer.

SMELL: Toasted malts, spicy notes and red berries. White wine or rose notes with some hints of smoke in there as well. Very potent and interestingly different for a strong dark ale.

TASTE: Lightly toasted malt flavors with lots of berries and white wine as well. Raspberries and light spicy yeast notes. A big and lingering aftertaste of red berries, white wine or even champagne, and some smoked malt notes. Very bold flavors, and quite unique for sure.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry.

OVERALL: This was one hell of a brew! It didn’t quite remind me of a Belgian strong dark ale from Belgium per se, as it was missing some of the patented dark fruit aromas and flavors that style is so well known for, but it was certainly a flavorful and enjoyable strong, yeasty ale. One of the better beers I had all summer. Thanks again Freud for including this one in our trade many moons ago. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

2009 Sainte-Reserve, a patently awesome find on Alberta beer store shelves.

This beer pours a mostly clear dark reddish amber hue, with a handful's worth of puffy, thickly foamy wan beige head, which leaves some relatively sparse patchy, sudsy lace around the glass as it slowly, slowly, (did I mention slowly?) recedes.

It smells of sweet, soda-shop banana sundaes, field honey, bready caramel malt, salty toffee, earthy spices - mostly clove, ginger, and nutmeg - gritty Belgian-style yeast, dark fleshy fruit - wet raisins, prunes, and soused cherries - and a very soft herbal tincture alcohol warming. The taste is a veritable reprise of the same, and yet not quite amped up - spicy gingerbread, aerated toffee, dry sandwich honey, wet brown sugar, dark fruit - very ripe banana, plum, and red grape must - some mild earthy yeast, indistinct, yet peppy savory spices, and a pleasantly embedded alcohol warmth.

The carbonation is very mild, barely more than a playful frothiness, the body hardly anything other than full, creamy, and smooth like whipped butter. It finishes still pretty sweet, the crackery breadiness, strong dark fruit, lingering yeast, and burgeoning alcohol all starting to write a new history for this offering.

OMFG - what a BSDA (for all you acronym wonks out there)! This is one balanced, smooth, full-flavoured, sweet and savoury strong dark Belgian-style ale. It has it all over even the finest Unibroue equivalent (no, he didddn't!), through the subtly influential yeast component alone. The 10 points of booze are pretty much totally integrated, and barely noticeable, until of course, you get to the 'bottle half empty' stage. Bravissimo, with slow, non-sarcastic slow claps, once again, Charlevoix.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Hibernus is a woody dark brown colour with red highlights. It retains a good cover of beige head throughout, with some great lacing.

This is probably the most heavily-spiced beer my nose has experienced. Tons of gingerbread, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and a cologne-like pepperiness. Under the extreme spicing is dark malt, Belgian yeast, apples, caramel, figs, some astringency and even a little funkiness.

The flavour follows in step: a truckload of spices. All the complexity of the nose comes out perfectly in the mouth, with a little added licorice I hadn't noticed. An almost perfect translation from smell to taste, so I won't bother rewriting all that. Zero alcohol; quite impressive at 10% ABV.

Smooth medium-light body with light carbonation and a soft finish. I could use a little more body here to support such a hefty beer.

This is very drinkable considering the extreme spicing. I don't think anyone would find this to be sessionable, obviously, but it's definitely a smooth sipper. I'll have to hang on to my last bottle until next winter; Hibernus is fittingly one of the most wintery brews I've had the pleasure to sample.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: It has a nice dark reddish/brown color to it. It has a nice thick beige head that dies down slowly and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of dark fruit (raisins, cherries), Belgian yeast, spices, some breadiness, caramelly malts and a touch of booziness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice dark fruit character, Belgian yeast, sweet caramel, brown sugar and the spices really come out here with some cloves and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a very nice overall balance, feel and complexity.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. Considering keeping the other bottle for Christmas day. Great beer!

2009 Vintage
Thanks to sleepydave for bringing this one over the other night.

Pours a beautiful plum red with a thin off-white head that maintains well. Good lacing. Very nice looking.

A good amount of spice (nutmeg, pinch of cinnamon) on the nose. Mixed with red grapes, Belgian yeast, hay and some herbal notes. Sugar cookies and light cloves. Enjoyable to nose.

The flavor consists of cherries, grapes and plums mixed with Belgian spice. Nutmeg and cloves. Belgian yeast, creamy vanilla and gingerbread. Even a slight bit of pumpkin. Touch of caramel with some grape tannins. Fruity and a bit spicy with bready malts. Really enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is lively with prickly carbonation and a slight bit of foam, but more on the creamy side than foamy. Some spiciness and faint warming alcohol.

Drinkability is good. This is a tasty Belgian strong dark. Creamy, fruity and the ABV is not overly noticeable. Spices are good, but may cut down on the drinkability a bit. A perfect beer to enjoy on a cool Fall day. One of the best Belgian strong dark ales I've had.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a gift from a co-worker. Thanks Dennis!

Nice color, brown, very dark with some reddish notes in there. The head is very good looking, just like an espresso coffee. I like this one already. Very good looking and makes you want to drink it now...

The aroma presents itself with some banana and spices. I find some nutmeg in there and also some hops behind. On the taste side, I get some nutmeg here. It is stronger than the smell. I get some cloves too. A very well balanced beer. Almost no bitterness. Another excellent beer from this brewery. One of the best in this province... and I would say from Canada. The ABV hides very well. The beer is full bodied, but not appear to be heavy... So easy to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle received in trade by papat444. Thanks! Consumed for the Grey Cup. Quebec beer, Quebec win...

Poured into a wine glass where it is over half fluffy head that laced stunningly atop a rich amber beer. Aromas are spicy and malty with a hint of funk. The only issue with this beer is that it was a touch cloying in the body, although fairly well balanced with fruity notes in the body. An easy drinker for a 10%. A great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

Charlevoix continues to impress with another solid beer.

Pours a dark amber colour with an offwhite head. The foamy head eventually recedes to a thing ring around my duvel glass.

The smell is big and spicy. Cinnamon, cloves and dark fruit are all present. The taste has the same spiciness.. cloves, ginger and cinnamon are all present but so is a softer and mellow banana and pear notes. Add is some soft malts and it's a really lovely taste.. just let it warm up enough to ensure you can appreciate them all. There are layers of complexity here.

Mouthfeel is solid and drinkability is dangerously high.

I'm generally not a big fan of belgian dark ales but this one has made me a believer.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle acquired from Phyl21ca many moons ago poured into a snifter.

Pours a dark mahogany that shows through as a clear deep copper when held up to light. The head was a massive off-white crown that lingered as a one0inch cap for the duration leaving tons of lacing.

The aroma was very surprising and dominated by spices and a yeasty sweetness - definitely some coriander, ginger and a candi apple sweetness. There is bits of dark fruit with figs and some caramel, but the spiciness was the most striking feature.

The taste follows the aroma and has the interesting spicy yeast flavor that dominates with figs and red apples playing a part as well. There was lots of caramel malts underpinning everything else but the melding of the spices with the Belgian yeast and fruit sweetness was very good.

The mouthfeel is unbelievably creamy with lots of carbonation and completely coats the palate.

This is one of the more interesting BSDAs I've ever tasted and the spiciness made it very complex and very original. The alcohol was nearly non-existent so drinkability is pretty high given the size of the beer. Worth a try if you can find it.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle says best before 2012, but I couldn't wait.

Pours a transluscent dark brown with a fine textured head, good retention and lacing. The aroma is full and complex. I mostly pick up raisins, anise and nutmeg.

Flavor is sweet malt and various spices. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth and surprisingly light for the style and alchohol content. I think a little hop bitterness or a little more body would balance things out a bit better.

As a northeaster is bearing down on us, and the lights are flickering, this is a good one to sip on.

Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus from Microbrasserie Charlevoix