Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Dominus Vobiscum LupulusDominus Vobiscum Lupulus

Microbrasserie Charlevoix visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian IPA |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Beersignal on 01-06-2008)

Surfscience, Nov 21, 2011

RedAleMan, Mar 26, 2012

berley31, Nov 17, 2011

Microbrasserie Charlevoix - Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Belgian IPA - 10% - Charlevoix, Quebec.

Aromas of cloves with lots lots of floral scents - especially roses. Some citrus, sugars, and cardamon. Smells like a spicy bouquet. Like walking into a flower shop that happens to be baking banana bread.

Sweet up front, followed by some nice belgian yeast flavors - cloves & cardamon. It then finishes with some very floral hops, and a surprising medium bitterness that does not overpower in the least. I'm tasting sweet grapefruit, and oranges. It has this tangy, sweet and bitter taste all at the same time. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated, giving way to a nice frothy sip every time.

I've had others of this style and they are usually pretty intense. This is so well balanced, complex and goes down so easy that you quickly forget the beer is a 10% Belgian IPA.

This for me, could be the best beer I've ever had. Thank God I bought another bottle.

Fortunately and unfortunately I need to share this as I can't get too drunk - any day could be baby day :)

Again I'll say it - Microbrasserie Charlevoix is the best microbrewery in Quebec. I would recommend. this to anyone.

NForr, Mar 17, 2012

KrisDLSmith, Sep 06, 2012

WoodersonMB, Jan 31, 2012

Rochefort10nh, Nov 25, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

750 mL green bottle from winter 2007.

Pours a hazy amber with a thick white head that leaves lots of lacing.

Spicy aroma with some tropical fruit notes.

Very sweet, almost syrupy, with lots of fruit. Sweet green grapes come to mind. Soon comes a peppery spiciness and a big hop bite that cuts through the sugar. Some warming alcohol but overall quite mellow. Long, sweet and bitter finish. Very full-bodied and highly carbonated.

This is a complex and delicious beer. One of the best I've had in a while. Highly recommended, if you can still find it.

Tim2000, Jun 14, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought this because the guy at the store suggested it. It looked like a nice bottle but I had a feeling I'd be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong!

A- Aggressive pour yields a glass of head. A full glass of head! Superior lacing. Head lasts 'till the very end. Liquid is that of a classic belgian blonde

S- Great smell. Alcohol. What I think are American hops. Smells a lot like ice cider. CO². A little belgian yeast.

T- Pretty similar to smell. Like a cross between a Belgian Blond and an IPA. Hops giving a basic but delicious bubblegum and very soft grapefruit taste. Very sweet. I don't usually like sweet, but the hops make this terribly enjoyable.

M- Surprisingly dry considering how sweet it is. Medium carbonation.

D- Very high. Just a bit too sweet but I could drink this forever (I don't feel the alcohol yet).

Wow. This just made it into my favorite beers. I absolutely want to try and clone this one some day...

Yoonisaykul, Feb 15, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Pours cloudy amber with a duvel-level of pure white head. Seriously powerful, creamy, long lasting and with a ton of lacing. Impressive!

S: First to come are the citrus: lime and lemon mostly with some grapefruit too. Some underlying honey sweetness. Coriander is there as well as a little cloves (typical from Belgian yeast). Some piny and floral hops present too. Very complex and powerful nose.

T: A much more solid malt backbone here, that I didn't expect after the smell. Honey is more present too and toffee as well. Citrus are still the main players though. Leaning more to the orange than the lemon of the nose with more grapefruit too. "Warmer" fruits are there too, thanks to the alcohol: raisins, dark cherries. As it warms up, flavors of marmelade, red apple and mango appears. Cuts at the end with some nice piny/herbal hops. Extremely complex and flavorful!

M: Medium body with mid to high carbonation, just what you'd expect from the style.

D: High, very high. Superbly balanced, the alcohol is well hidden, this one is dangerously drinkable for a 10 ABV.

Well, a GREAT americanized version of a strong Belgian pale, this brew is extremely balanced and has a great great taste. Definitely one of my favorite all time brew and I'm an Imperial Stout guy. Very very impressive!!

flipper2gv, Feb 26, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

HUGE thanks to fellow BA Phil aka santa109 for sharing this with my on my trip to see him.

Bottle opened just past midnight on 17/10/09, poured into my newly acquired Dieu du Ciel tulip snifter. Light golden color, with some active carbonation bubbles. Massive fluffly white clouds that float atop the beer and cling to the glass as the glass is emptied.

Belgian yeasts and fruits on the nose. Can't wait for whats to come later.

Tremendous representation of a belgian strong pale, not to mention a beer in general. The beer was a little chilly to start, but really starts to shine when it warms up. Balance is the true star of this beer. No single flavor is over powering, and the balance of the cloves, belgian yeast, a little banana, and just a hint of hops. Truly astounding.

Mouthfeel is great. Lingers, but not too long. Which makes you want to go back for more. Carbonation is perfectly in-sync with the rest of the beer, and great even considering it's age.

Drinkability is off the charts. You would be hard pressed to find a better representation of the style. Period. I'd definitely never have had the chance to taste this had it not been for my main man Phil.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Oct 17, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

What can I say? Possibly Canada's single best Belgian style ale right here. This beer conjours up thoughts of Duvel and Saison Dupont. That's some pretty impressive company.

Golden pour with an enormous pancake head that lasts for days. Bready, yeasty & spicey in the nose with a few floral hints. Taste is outsanding. Hop bitterness, spice, earthy notes, pleasant candy sweetness that lingers nicely with the hops. Some malt backbone. A nice alcohol warmth without overpowering the palate. The perfect mouthfeel, both smooth and lively. Creamy finish with a nice lingering bitterness.

Top marks. Simply outstanding.

Thanks to Beersignal for the hard to find bottle!

Popsinc, Jan 01, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Haven't reviewed in nearly 6 months from lack of drive, or interest, or time, or suitable beers, or... pick one. I'm not the type to review everything that pops up on the shelves of my local outlet, but when I saw this bottle along with its darker counterpart I couldn't resist despite its $12.99 price tag. That is how much I respect this brewer of belgian styles and his offerings. A good start to 2008? I hope.

Handsome presentation, crown capped champagne bottle with wrap over the cap. Looks more like a Brut from the Champagne region than a beer. Real classy, eh. As I pour the liquid, a rush of carbonation and a thick creamy wall of stark white foam rises so quickly that I stop serving for fear of spilling some of the contents. As the cap settles I contemplate a polished gold coloured beer topped by the same frothy head and sit and admire a column of bubbles that feeds the head relentlessly. A thick veil of foam builds on the far side of my glass methodically, after every taste almost like if it were trying to hide something from onlookers.

I plunge my nose into the glass and immediately I am served with a wave of floral, spicy, earthy, piney and fruity hops through which only a touch of malt can escape. It is quickly followed by the trademark aromas of Simcoe and Amarillo as is stated on the bottle. Gentle hints of cloves ride along with the rest of the aromas and balance the smell nicely for me. (I think this is the triple IPA they released last summer on tap at Le Saint-Bock)

The first sip goes down, and then a second. So tasty and, unsurprisingly, dominated by the hops. The warmth of the alcohol permeates my tastebuds but is not aggressive. Rather, it is gentle and residually sweet allowing a touch of freshly cracked pepper to express itself before the bitter bite of co-humulone puts its foot down. Sip after sip reveals more and more complexity. Vanilla, banana, cloves, candied sugar, another round of cracked pepper... the list is endless. Before I know it I'm at the bottom of my glass and the bottom of the bottle is not far off. Hazardous in its extreme drinkability.

This beer seals it for me. MicroBrasserie Charlevoix has, without a doubt, become the reference in belgian styles in Québec and perhaps Canada. Steep price, worth every penny. I can honestly say I concentrated on every sip of this 750 ml bottle. If I find this again, I will have no problem putting down $12.99 for this beer. A great start to '08.

Santé and Happy New Year

SMD

Beersignal, Jan 06, 2008

cam477, Oct 14, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been looking forward to this more than just about any beer I've tried so far. I remember reading the reviews on BA as I was getting into beer, but the last bottles of the first release had probably just been finished off a couple months prior.

I was lucky enough to score three of these bad boys; two at Peluso and one in Quebec City. Poured into my Maudite tulip glass. Yeah...this beer looks ridiculous. Translucent with cloudiness, the beer is a glowing orange-yellow. The head is among the very best I've ever seen. Huge, pillowy bright white froth, leaving chunks of lace all over the glass (looking like chunks of sticky styrofoam) and receding to a lumpy island in the middle of the glass. This head is measured by the fistful instead of by the finger...it poured a full fist of head. Looks very similar to Houblon Chouffe (which is now tied for best-looking Belgian pale ale I've ever seen). The head is explosive, be very careful pouring this one or you could easily end up with head all over your table and a few mouthfuls of wasted Lupulus. Just a slight re-topping of your glass will form a whole new finger of head on the beer. Probably the most generous head I've ever seen.

Belgian yeast, astringent, biting spices and hops, sweet candy malt, lemon rind, lightly alcoholic, slightly musty. This smells something like what I always want Duvel to smell like, though it never does. I'm almost wanting to give this a 5.0, but it's not quite there. Most likely the best smelling beer of its style I've had.

If the smell is like what I'm always wanting with Duvel, the taste is what I will now always wish Fin du Monde is. Definite similarities to Fin du Monde, only better in every way. Wheat, Belgian yeast, earthy (planty, even), floral and citrusy hops, Fin du Monde-like spices (though doubled, at least). The candy malt is in perfect balance along with the hop bitterness and the fairly present alcohol. Smooth for 10%, but this feels at least like 7.5% or so; though it doesn't come off as unpleasant at all. This is one of those rare beers where alcohol serves as a well-planned and essential addition to the flavour as a whole instead of as an unfortunate result of high ABV. At 70IBU, this beer is quite bitter, leaving a pretty dry finish. Incredibly well-balanced. No, beer does not get much better than this (as far as I've experienced).

Sticky medium body with a fairly present carbonation, though I wouldn't say it's as carbonated as Unibroue attempts at the style. I do like this style of beer to be fairly carbonated.

I need to take 0.5 off the drinkability for the high ABV and also since it's quite intense and fairly bitter. Although I'm enjoying this immensely, I wouldn't want anymore than a 750ml to myself. Not that I'm going to have many more opportunities to have a whole bottle of Lupulus to myself!

I was looking forward to this for a long time and it definitely didn't let me down. The numbers I gave Lupulus just made it my highest-rated beer and I don't disagree with that at all. This beer is easily world-class. Thanks Charlevoix!

eat, Mar 24, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep lightly cloudy golden color ale with a huge pure white foamy head with perfect retention and some great lacing. Aroma of West Coast hops with some notes of citrus and grapefruit and some nice floral notes can also be detected. Taste is perfect balance between some light sweet Belgian malt with huge notes of floral hops with notes of grapefruit. Full body with a somewhat creamy texture with some great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I really enjoyed how the hops presence brought aromatic notes but left a light controlled bitterness. As much as I had enjoyed the Chouffe Houblon I believe this one is even more enjoyable.

Phyl21ca, Feb 22, 2008

ThinkAgain, Mar 27, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Thrilled to death to be able to get ahold of a bottle of this one. Needless to say it had been a rather long hunt to track this one down. Served right from the cellar and poured into a ten ounce glass, this one was consumed on 04/24/2010.

The pour could not have been better, impossible. Huge towering head of white quickly foams up three inches tall and easily goes over the edges of the glass. Cloudy golden yellow in color with loads of sparkling carbonation just rippling up to the surface throughout the session. Aroma is near perfect, light grain with hints of hops mingled in throughout. Nice touches of grape skins, now coming through as it warms and a veyr grainy profile. Crisp, clean, refrshing taste with all hints of the ABV a very far and distant memory. This thing was nuts. Each sip was light, clean, very clean with no noticeable flaws. Light fruits, pears, apples, hints of fig mixed with light grains and touches of light herbs. Really very, very well done. Smooth, semi dry finish was the capper for me as the first and last sip were just as good.

Overall a near perfect example of a strong pale, I would be hard pressed to find one better then this. Go seek this out, worth every penny.

mikesgroove, Apr 25, 2010

SandS, Dec 14, 2012

Krakpoff, May 07, 2013

evil_liver, Sep 09, 2013

rogerdandy, Dec 10, 2013

DanK4, Aug 04, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

2010 Vintage picked up at Premier Wine & Spirits, Halifax.

A-Pours a hazy apricot gold with a hugely frothy white head and nice lacing.

S-Very nice indeed. Nice Belgian yeast character, well balanced with malt and peppery notes.

T-As good as this style gets. Excellent balance of sweet malt, pineapple hoppiness and great Belgian yeast. Extraordinary balance and depth of flavors, alcohol is very well hidden.

M-Medium bodied, a bit heavy but reasonable for the style.

O-Wow. a truly outstanding Belgian IPA/ DIPA. Wish I had picked up more...

HV

sholland119, Sep 12, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a pale yellow with a huge cloudy white head. The head doesn't seem to want to go away, with lacing all down the glass. It smells of floral hops, citrus and Belgian yeast. The taste lives up to the smell. Nice bitterness in with the classic Belgian pale ale taste. Some caramel and hoppiness. Very smooth mouthfeel, with the bubbles being very tight. I don't notice the alcohol in this, which I suppose could be dangerous because I could drink this all day if I was able to get enough bottles.

kwjd, Mar 14, 2010