Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Microbrasserie Charlevoix visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian IPA |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Beersignal on 01-06-2008

Microbrasserie Charlevoix - Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Belgian IPA - 10% - Charlevoix, Quebec.

Aromas of cloves with lots lots of floral scents - especially roses. Some citrus, sugars, and cardamon. Smells like a spicy bouquet. Like walking into a flower shop that happens to be baking banana bread.

Sweet up front, followed by some nice belgian yeast flavors - cloves & cardamon. It then finishes with some very floral hops, and a surprising medium bitterness that does not overpower in the least. I'm tasting sweet grapefruit, and oranges. It has this tangy, sweet and bitter taste all at the same time. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated, giving way to a nice frothy sip every time.

I've had others of this style and they are usually pretty intense. This is so well balanced, complex and goes down so easy that you quickly forget the beer is a 10% Belgian IPA.

This for me, could be the best beer I've ever had. Thank God I bought another bottle.

Fortunately and unfortunately I need to share this as I can't get too drunk - any day could be baby day :)

Again I'll say it - Microbrasserie Charlevoix is the best microbrewery in Quebec. I would recommend. this to anyone.

4.95/5  rDev +16.5%

750 mL green bottle from winter 2007.

Pours a hazy amber with a thick white head that leaves lots of lacing.

Spicy aroma with some tropical fruit notes.

Very sweet, almost syrupy, with lots of fruit. Sweet green grapes come to mind. Soon comes a peppery spiciness and a big hop bite that cuts through the sugar. Some warming alcohol but overall quite mellow. Long, sweet and bitter finish. Very full-bodied and highly carbonated.

This is a complex and delicious beer. One of the best I've had in a while. Highly recommended, if you can still find it.

4.87/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Pours cloudy amber with a duvel-level of pure white head. Seriously powerful, creamy, long lasting and with a ton of lacing. Impressive!

S: First to come are the citrus: lime and lemon mostly with some grapefruit too. Some underlying honey sweetness. Coriander is there as well as a little cloves (typical from Belgian yeast). Some piny and floral hops present too. Very complex and powerful nose.

T: A much more solid malt backbone here, that I didn't expect after the smell. Honey is more present too and toffee as well. Citrus are still the main players though. Leaning more to the orange than the lemon of the nose with more grapefruit too. "Warmer" fruits are there too, thanks to the alcohol: raisins, dark cherries. As it warms up, flavors of marmelade, red apple and mango appears. Cuts at the end with some nice piny/herbal hops. Extremely complex and flavorful!

M: Medium body with mid to high carbonation, just what you'd expect from the style.

D: High, very high. Superbly balanced, the alcohol is well hidden, this one is dangerously drinkable for a 10 ABV.

Well, a GREAT americanized version of a strong Belgian pale, this brew is extremely balanced and has a great great taste. Definitely one of my favorite all time brew and I'm an Imperial Stout guy. Very very impressive!!

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Bought this because the guy at the store suggested it. It looked like a nice bottle but I had a feeling I'd be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong!

A- Aggressive pour yields a glass of head. A full glass of head! Superior lacing. Head lasts 'till the very end. Liquid is that of a classic belgian blonde

S- Great smell. Alcohol. What I think are American hops. Smells a lot like ice cider. CO². A little belgian yeast.

T- Pretty similar to smell. Like a cross between a Belgian Blond and an IPA. Hops giving a basic but delicious bubblegum and very soft grapefruit taste. Very sweet. I don't usually like sweet, but the hops make this terribly enjoyable.

M- Surprisingly dry considering how sweet it is. Medium carbonation.

D- Very high. Just a bit too sweet but I could drink this forever (I don't feel the alcohol yet).

Wow. This just made it into my favorite beers. I absolutely want to try and clone this one some day...

4.83/5  rDev +13.6%

HUGE thanks to fellow BA Phil aka santa109 for sharing this with my on my trip to see him.

Bottle opened just past midnight on 17/10/09, poured into my newly acquired Dieu du Ciel tulip snifter. Light golden color, with some active carbonation bubbles. Massive fluffly white clouds that float atop the beer and cling to the glass as the glass is emptied.

Belgian yeasts and fruits on the nose. Can't wait for whats to come later.

Tremendous representation of a belgian strong pale, not to mention a beer in general. The beer was a little chilly to start, but really starts to shine when it warms up. Balance is the true star of this beer. No single flavor is over powering, and the balance of the cloves, belgian yeast, a little banana, and just a hint of hops. Truly astounding.

Mouthfeel is great. Lingers, but not too long. Which makes you want to go back for more. Carbonation is perfectly in-sync with the rest of the beer, and great even considering it's age.

Drinkability is off the charts. You would be hard pressed to find a better representation of the style. Period. I'd definitely never have had the chance to taste this had it not been for my main man Phil.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

What can I say? Possibly Canada's single best Belgian style ale right here. This beer conjours up thoughts of Duvel and Saison Dupont. That's some pretty impressive company.

Golden pour with an enormous pancake head that lasts for days. Bready, yeasty & spicey in the nose with a few floral hints. Taste is outsanding. Hop bitterness, spice, earthy notes, pleasant candy sweetness that lingers nicely with the hops. Some malt backbone. A nice alcohol warmth without overpowering the palate. The perfect mouthfeel, both smooth and lively. Creamy finish with a nice lingering bitterness.

Top marks. Simply outstanding.

Thanks to Beersignal for the hard to find bottle!

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Haven't reviewed in nearly 6 months from lack of drive, or interest, or time, or suitable beers, or... pick one. I'm not the type to review everything that pops up on the shelves of my local outlet, but when I saw this bottle along with its darker counterpart I couldn't resist despite its $12.99 price tag. That is how much I respect this brewer of belgian styles and his offerings. A good start to 2008? I hope.

Handsome presentation, crown capped champagne bottle with wrap over the cap. Looks more like a Brut from the Champagne region than a beer. Real classy, eh. As I pour the liquid, a rush of carbonation and a thick creamy wall of stark white foam rises so quickly that I stop serving for fear of spilling some of the contents. As the cap settles I contemplate a polished gold coloured beer topped by the same frothy head and sit and admire a column of bubbles that feeds the head relentlessly. A thick veil of foam builds on the far side of my glass methodically, after every taste almost like if it were trying to hide something from onlookers.

I plunge my nose into the glass and immediately I am served with a wave of floral, spicy, earthy, piney and fruity hops through which only a touch of malt can escape. It is quickly followed by the trademark aromas of Simcoe and Amarillo as is stated on the bottle. Gentle hints of cloves ride along with the rest of the aromas and balance the smell nicely for me. (I think this is the triple IPA they released last summer on tap at Le Saint-Bock)

The first sip goes down, and then a second. So tasty and, unsurprisingly, dominated by the hops. The warmth of the alcohol permeates my tastebuds but is not aggressive. Rather, it is gentle and residually sweet allowing a touch of freshly cracked pepper to express itself before the bitter bite of co-humulone puts its foot down. Sip after sip reveals more and more complexity. Vanilla, banana, cloves, candied sugar, another round of cracked pepper... the list is endless. Before I know it I'm at the bottom of my glass and the bottom of the bottle is not far off. Hazardous in its extreme drinkability.

This beer seals it for me. MicroBrasserie Charlevoix has, without a doubt, become the reference in belgian styles in Québec and perhaps Canada. Steep price, worth every penny. I can honestly say I concentrated on every sip of this 750 ml bottle. If I find this again, I will have no problem putting down $12.99 for this beer. A great start to '08.

Santé and Happy New Year

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle: Poured a deep lightly cloudy golden color ale with a huge pure white foamy head with perfect retention and some great lacing. Aroma of West Coast hops with some notes of citrus and grapefruit and some nice floral notes can also be detected. Taste is perfect balance between some light sweet Belgian malt with huge notes of floral hops with notes of grapefruit. Full body with a somewhat creamy texture with some great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I really enjoyed how the hops presence brought aromatic notes but left a light controlled bitterness. As much as I had enjoyed the Chouffe Houblon I believe this one is even more enjoyable.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

I've been looking forward to this more than just about any beer I've tried so far. I remember reading the reviews on BA as I was getting into beer, but the last bottles of the first release had probably just been finished off a couple months prior.

I was lucky enough to score three of these bad boys; two at Peluso and one in Quebec City. Poured into my Maudite tulip glass. Yeah...this beer looks ridiculous. Translucent with cloudiness, the beer is a glowing orange-yellow. The head is among the very best I've ever seen. Huge, pillowy bright white froth, leaving chunks of lace all over the glass (looking like chunks of sticky styrofoam) and receding to a lumpy island in the middle of the glass. This head is measured by the fistful instead of by the finger...it poured a full fist of head. Looks very similar to Houblon Chouffe (which is now tied for best-looking Belgian pale ale I've ever seen). The head is explosive, be very careful pouring this one or you could easily end up with head all over your table and a few mouthfuls of wasted Lupulus. Just a slight re-topping of your glass will form a whole new finger of head on the beer. Probably the most generous head I've ever seen.

Belgian yeast, astringent, biting spices and hops, sweet candy malt, lemon rind, lightly alcoholic, slightly musty. This smells something like what I always want Duvel to smell like, though it never does. I'm almost wanting to give this a 5.0, but it's not quite there. Most likely the best smelling beer of its style I've had.

If the smell is like what I'm always wanting with Duvel, the taste is what I will now always wish Fin du Monde is. Definite similarities to Fin du Monde, only better in every way. Wheat, Belgian yeast, earthy (planty, even), floral and citrusy hops, Fin du Monde-like spices (though doubled, at least). The candy malt is in perfect balance along with the hop bitterness and the fairly present alcohol. Smooth for 10%, but this feels at least like 7.5% or so; though it doesn't come off as unpleasant at all. This is one of those rare beers where alcohol serves as a well-planned and essential addition to the flavour as a whole instead of as an unfortunate result of high ABV. At 70IBU, this beer is quite bitter, leaving a pretty dry finish. Incredibly well-balanced. No, beer does not get much better than this (as far as I've experienced).

Sticky medium body with a fairly present carbonation, though I wouldn't say it's as carbonated as Unibroue attempts at the style. I do like this style of beer to be fairly carbonated.

I need to take 0.5 off the drinkability for the high ABV and also since it's quite intense and fairly bitter. Although I'm enjoying this immensely, I wouldn't want anymore than a 750ml to myself. Not that I'm going to have many more opportunities to have a whole bottle of Lupulus to myself!

I was looking forward to this for a long time and it definitely didn't let me down. The numbers I gave Lupulus just made it my highest-rated beer and I don't disagree with that at all. This beer is easily world-class. Thanks Charlevoix!

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

Thrilled to death to be able to get ahold of a bottle of this one. Needless to say it had been a rather long hunt to track this one down. Served right from the cellar and poured into a ten ounce glass, this one was consumed on 04/24/2010.

The pour could not have been better, impossible. Huge towering head of white quickly foams up three inches tall and easily goes over the edges of the glass. Cloudy golden yellow in color with loads of sparkling carbonation just rippling up to the surface throughout the session. Aroma is near perfect, light grain with hints of hops mingled in throughout. Nice touches of grape skins, now coming through as it warms and a veyr grainy profile. Crisp, clean, refrshing taste with all hints of the ABV a very far and distant memory. This thing was nuts. Each sip was light, clean, very clean with no noticeable flaws. Light fruits, pears, apples, hints of fig mixed with light grains and touches of light herbs. Really very, very well done. Smooth, semi dry finish was the capper for me as the first and last sip were just as good.

Overall a near perfect example of a strong pale, I would be hard pressed to find one better then this. Go seek this out, worth every penny.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale yellow with a huge cloudy white head. The head doesn't seem to want to go away, with lacing all down the glass. It smells of floral hops, citrus and Belgian yeast. The taste lives up to the smell. Nice bitterness in with the classic Belgian pale ale taste. Some caramel and hoppiness. Very smooth mouthfeel, with the bubbles being very tight. I don't notice the alcohol in this, which I suppose could be dangerous because I could drink this all day if I was able to get enough bottles.

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

750 ml. 2007 bottle, drank in 2011.

Golden colour. Big persistant head. Citrus, apple and caramel hints.

Taste... awesome! Fruity, fresh and intense brew, but still sweet-matly, with an intense hoppy finish. I'd expect the 4 maturation years to tone down the hop a little too much, but balance was simply perfect.

Great beer from one of the best microbrewery.

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%

2010 Vintage picked up at Premier Wine & Spirits, Halifax.

A-Pours a hazy apricot gold with a hugely frothy white head and nice lacing.

S-Very nice indeed. Nice Belgian yeast character, well balanced with malt and peppery notes.

T-As good as this style gets. Excellent balance of sweet malt, pineapple hoppiness and great Belgian yeast. Extraordinary balance and depth of flavors, alcohol is very well hidden.

M-Medium bodied, a bit heavy but reasonable for the style.

O-Wow. a truly outstanding Belgian IPA/ DIPA. Wish I had picked up more...

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

Its golden orange body glistens when held up to the light. Three fingers of creamy, frothy, meringue white head floats on top with no intentions of going anywhere. Fluffy patches of lace are left in swirls across the glass as the head slowly falls.

There's two main components to this beer, both of which are blended seemlessly in the nose. The first part is fresh doughy bread and dry yeast. A faint peppery spiciness makes it reminiscent of a Pilsner. The other component is fruity and lively. Pineapple, peaches, and mangos all come to mind with their sweetness being dumbed down by the fluffy Belgian yeast. Lemon peel helps to frame the yeast character.

Soft and sweet tropical fruits place themselves on the middle of the tongue and eventually creep to the sides of the mouth. I love how they have rendered the peach/mango character and am impressed at its staying power. It's not overly sweet but leaves nothing to be desired. The finish is soft and unobstrusive. The bitterness is delicately chalky, grassy, and slightly earthy. Bready malts and yeast accompany the hops in the finish. The fruity sweetness falls just shy of continuing all the way to the end.

The feel on this is like no other. Extremely delicate, soft, and creamy. Perfect level of carbonation and flawless balance. From start to finish, there's zero trace of the 10% ABV.

I would gladly put this in the top 5 beers I've ever had and I'm happy to say that it's from Canada. Worth every penny and then some. This is a must try.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml green bottle. A++ for the packaging, it looks cool when you hold it to the light with the beer inside. Bottle says 2010 but the bottling date is 2011 Jan 07. Merci Philippe!

It pours a clear amber gold with a huge foamy white head that takes a while to dissipate and leaves some nice lacing.

It smells super spicy. The yeast really is noticeable. It has a coriander and clove presence. The hops are there, they are grassy with an underlying of peach. The more you sniff it, the fruitier it becomes it seems.

The flavor dominates. It has a classic Belgian Strong Pale ale base. It is spicy and floral with a bit of bready malt. It also has a decent amount of hops. The combo of hops is exactly what I would put in an Belgian IPA, in fact it is almost the same as my hop bill in my homebrew. It has a ton of citrus, just pounding tropical citrus really, the malt sweetness really brings out the hop flavors. It has a medium to high bitterness that lingers nicely in the aftertaste.

This is exactly what I look for in a Belgian IPA, it is spicy and moderately bitter with a big fruity hop kick, though they could have dry hopped it a bit more.

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%

Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus is radiant as an angel, clear as day, and has a head so lush and cottony that I'd like to sleep on it. The lacing it sticks on the glass is thick enough to knit a sweater out of. The banana yellow beer is speckled with bubbles and, as well as seeming well crafted, is lively looking and bright.

A better, more even blend of potent, phenolic yeast and pungent hops is hard to imagine, especially at this magnitude. The beer is as loud as it is bright. Dry grassy notes come on very strong, as do the acidic lemon-y undertones. Equally mighty are esters reminiscent of marmalade and a very perfumy white pepper spice.

The soft, bready malt flavor absorbs the aforementioned marmalade-y fruit spread, mellowed spices and citric hops to make for a beer as tasteful as it is loud and bright. Whether courtesy of hops or yeast, the fruitiness is all encompassing: ripe pear, little flakes of peach and apple, key lime, a splash of grapefruit and chunks of green banana.

Each and every ingredient in this beer pairs wonderfully together - it's like a perfectly-tailored suit. It all makes for a beer that is as refreshing as it is tasteful, loud, and bright. The floral and pineapple-y character of Amarillo and Simcoe, the zesty and grassy Saaz, the fruity and spicy yeast, the dry and bready malts - it all fits together hand in glove.

I think my favourite part about this beer how little of the candi sugar and alcohol come through. To be sure, there is a sweetness that won't stop, and the odd inescapable vapor, but for the most part it's the citrus zest and grassy hop oils that sparkle on the palate. Plus the carbonation makes the mouthfeel creamy and light as mousse.

No knowledge of Latin is needed to understand the word of this saintly brewer; Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus translates to the "The Lord be With You, Hops" both figuratively as well as literally. It is a divine creation that brims with angelic fruits, blissful pungency, anointed yeast, and heavenly drinkability. It is true holy water if ever there was. Amen.

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

750 mL bottle from the LCBO; with the bottling date stamped on the neck label (January 31 2012). I have been sitting on this one for a few weeks, intending to use it for my 300th review - and so here we are! This is a new style for me, but I am a big IPA fan in general so I'm pretty pumped to try this.

Pours a foggy, bright golden-yellow colour, with a billowy, dense white erupting at the surface. It's pearl white in colour, over two fingers thick, and with great retention like I expect from Belgian-style beer. It does eventually die down to a puffy, bumpy cap - but this process is thankfully quite slow, and the copious quantities of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass remain quite impressive. The aroma is similarly enticing, with an intriguing combination of Belgian-style yeast, bready pale malts, candied sugar with some apricot sweetness, and floral, citrusy hop notes. These parts coerce to form a complex, heavenly whole, with each individual trait on prominent display for my nose to sift through at its own leisure.

Truly delicious stuff. The yeast provides plenty of fruity esters for this brew, bringing to mind orchard fruits like pear and apricot, as well as tropical fruits such as banana and pineapple. The backbone is provided by bready pale malts and sugary sweetness, but the grapefruit/lemon astringency and the slightly spicy, grassy-hay dryness from the hops flawlessly cut through the sweetness. The bitterness and sweetness are equally mighty, locked in a perpetual struggle with neither able to gain the upper hand - needless to say, the balance is spot-on. Slight lingering astringency in the aftertaste. I am flabbergasted at how well the 10% abv is hidden - a blind taste test would have me guessing around 7% at most. The heat is mild, and the hoppy astringency masks it perfectly. Medium body, with moderate carbonation that gives it a good, crisp bite without being a distraction. Dangerously drinkable considering the ABV, and the flavour only improves as the brew warms to room temperature.

I actually feel selfish for not sharing this. It's that good. A full quart will be tough for me to polish off (I am a self-admitted lightweight), but it will still be an absolute pleasure to do so and I am looking forward to the challenge. It's a good thing I got this review out of the way with the first half of the bottle, because I imagine it would be far less coherent if I wrote it later tonight.

Final Grade: 4.63, my first A+. I've reviewed 300 beers now, and Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus is the best one yet. How's that for a capper? It is mouthwateringly good, with perfect balance and absurdly high drinkability for something of its heft. At over 10 bucks a bottle (and with limited availability - I had to drive to London to get this), it's not something I can get regularly, but I may just head back to procure a few more bottles before it's gone for another year. This is a must-try, combining the best of both the IPA and Belgian beer in general.

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle poured into Unibroue chalice mar19 2010

A slightly hazy pale golden with a half glass of head after a gentle pour, the loose bone white head has great retention and slowly falls to an island that's still there at the bottom of the glass leaving chunks of lace along the way

S lots of yeast and some earthy spice with lots of citrus and all sorts of hop

T even more then on the nose, the citrus becomes a little more focused on orange peel and grapefruit even more spice and hops, just crazy complex and the 10%alc is very well concealed

M enters silky and promptly fluffs up in a big way, if anything it's too carbonated but I wouldn't go that far it's just very alive

D super easy to drink and for the strength it's a dangerous beer. so well rounded I couldn't find any flaw other then the price

I'm stoked on this beer it's something special, after watching it soar up the Canadian top 25 I assumed there was a little hype involved but I was wrong thinking that. well deserving of its place in the Canadian top 10 and I would guess it will settle in the top 5. let it be known this isn't even my favorite beer from this brewer, think about that

4.59/5  rDev +8%

2009 bottle, opened for my birthday weekend on June 6th. Thanks to eat for this one! Well worth my last bottle of $ellout $tout. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - A crisp, clear golden beer with an amazingly fluffy white head atop it, 2/3 of the glass. Lacing like crazy. Can't imagine what else I would want from a beer.

S - Initially quite weak, I assume that the huge head blocked it off. After a bit of time a wonderful aroma comes forth. I can best describe it as 'Belgian Beer' with some sweaty barnyard funk beneath it.

T - Bitter and crisp. A bit of citrus along with bready malt and surprisingly sweet malt. Some funk comes through too. Quite enjoyable, but being told that this was bitter I was surprised by how little overall bitterness I sensed, likely due to an IPA I had earlier consumed.

M - Lingers in the mouth, even with the strong biting carbonation.

D - Fantastic. Was this beer 10% Drank like a fine champagne and gets you just as buzzed just as quickly. Dangerous in that sense, yet a fantastic beer.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%

From a solid 750 ml capped green magnum.

A cloudy yet still translucent honey/apricot hued body, capped by a massive billowing white head with impressive retention. Not sure how they could improve on this....

Clean light spicy aroma, light citrus and leafy hops, some clean wheat.

Shout bama-lama, it's all going on in the flavour, like being invited to the Love Shack (so hurry up and bring your jukebox money!). Clean tart grains up front, then waves of mandarin, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon zest, white pepper, grassy hops near finish, with some bolder spicy hops rising up in the aftertaste already. Subtle, refined, and greater than the sum of its parts.

Medium-full body, smooth, creamy and velvety mouthfeel, slight astringency in aftertaste but otherwise pretty flawless.

Um, nailed it? Charlevoix pretty much did that with this hoppy strong Belgian Pale, if this is what it's like young then it's going to age in a phenomenal fashion. I could very easily drink this all day (yet not get anything done as a result while it ends in tears...). Worth the price of admission, and even though I was surprised to find that it comes only in "family" size, I'm more than happy for that and all the extra goodness I got as a result.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Deep golden yellow in colour, topped by a massive meringue-textured head that practically refuses to recede, it lasts so long. Once it does, you're left with thick sheets of lace clinging for dear life to the walls of your glass. It's nothing short of beautiful to look at.

It has a complex and perfume-like aroma, with easily distinguished notes of bubblegum, bakers yeast, wildflowers, lemon zest, and grapefruit. The hops are more assertive than the aroma would suggest, giving the beer a juicy citrus flavour right upfront. Underlying them, it has a gentle maltiness that gives the beer a delicate sweetness and shortbread cookie character. Bubblegum esters come through midpalate before it finishes with a grapefruit pith bitterness. There is almost no alcohol-warmth to this whatsoever.

Light to medium bodied with an abundance of soft, pillowy carbonation. It feels smooth, creamy, velvety, and light in the mouth. This is one hell of beer - full of bold flavours held in a delicate balance, and being so strong yet drinking as easy as a beer half it's strength. It's like the angels themselves fermented the essence of heaven and bottled it. Dangerous and very delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Poured into a nice chalice it is a light orange colour, with heaps of fluffy white head. Beautiful and violent carbonation spiral up towards the surface.
S - Really quite hoppy smelling, and a little boozy. There are some sweeter notes detectable, hints of caramel and brown sugar. A sour smell of Belgian yeasts accompanies the nice hop bouquet.
T - Lots of hop flavours up front with a strong bitter bite. It lingers long and dry. The yeast remains and builds a sour base on the palate to frame the rest of the flavours. The typically Belgian taste of the yeast lingers with a boozy finish. Very strong beer, in many ways.
M -Very drying beer, with light to medium body. Quite rough alcoholic. Very mouthwatering and refreshing.
D - Pretty good drinkability. Had no problem finishing a 750mL bottle myself. The hops keeps the high alcohol from killing the appetite for more.
All around a great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle (one of the most gorgeous bottles I have ever seen for beer, beautiful fonts and layout, very classy) with production date (Jan 11/2011 in this case) stamped on neck just below cap. Tasting from a tulip. Currently available at Premier Wine and Spirits in Halifax.

Pours orange with just a touch of haze; a large cap of white foam is persistent, but shrinks to a manageable size and leaves large gobs of lacing on the glass.

Aromas of candied fruit hit my nose heavily when sniffed. Definite belgian yeast qualities here, but the aromatic hops are quite pleasing, giving some nice tropical fruit, and leading into piney/grassy territory (but only just).

I find the Belgian qualities most apparent in the flavour, tons of fruity esters ranging from banana to tropical mango, pineapple, and citrus, slight candied essence to the taste, very light biscuit malt only tasted here and there, and a nice bitter finish from the hops. The Amarillo and Simcoe are pretty apparent here, the Saaz maybe a bit more hidden, but contributing some nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a light medium, carbonation nearly perfect, in my opinion. It's the kind of mouthfeel that I don't really notice - it coats yet refreshes in just the right amounts, hitting that sweet spot between too light and too heavy.

This is an amazingly drinkable beer for the size - the alcohol is not discernible in the flavour, though I do start to feel the effects half way through the bottle. Quaffable, though I recommend you don't. I'm really loving this brew, I think it has really come together nicely. It would be interesting to see how the belgian qualities take over with a year or two of age (as a blurb on the bottle suggests). Fresh, this is a beautiful beer, among the nicest I've had the chance to try.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Re-review with a more recent bottle.

Bottled Jan 31, 2012

Beer is a cloudy golden/orange colour with a very large and frothy white head. Great retention- head stays FOREVER. Lots of lacing.

Smell is lovely- typical Belgian scents with lots of hops. Grassy, yeasty and some citrus. Other fruit is present as well- orange, a bit of green apple, other light fruit scents. Honey. Wonderful!

Taste is also wonderful. The fruit flavours from the nose are prominent and very nice, but their sweetness is cut somewhat by the bitterness from the hops, as well as some spice flavours. Hops add some nice grassy tastes, citrus, a bit of soap. Finish is moderately bitter. Lots going on and it is all good.

Beer is very carbonated, even for the style. Somewhat irritating. As the beer sits and calms down a bit, the feel certainly improves. Full bodied, a bit oily.

This is a really fantastic beer. Really enjoyable. Maybe my favourite Canadian beer. A gem!

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Capped 750 shared by nickd717. Thanks, brau.

Clear amber-gold with a huge white cap that leaves webbed lacing. Beautiful beer. Smells green, herbal, spicy. White pepper and fresh cut herbs, pale crackery malt. Tastes really, really nice. Ripe pear, white pepper, cut grass and fresh herbs. Very hoppy but evenly balanced between yeast, malt and hops. Finishes intensely dry and spicy. Fantastic stuff.

Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus from Microbrasserie Charlevoix