Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Quebec, Canada

Belgian IPA |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Beersignal on 01-06-2008

2.9/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a riedel red wine magnum glass

A:Nice golden color, troubled, with a nice foam head

S: Pretty interesting, hoppy

T: This is where it gets worse. There is so much residual sugar, this is quite unbalanced.

O: Pretty disjointed imo, and very sweet, with high IBU, strange and unbalanced...

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

jrallen34 contributed this to our recent tasting.

A - A straw yellow color with a huge soapy head on it. Had to let it die down a little bit before putting more in the glass.

S - Smells like a Duvel that has been majorly dry-hopped. little bit of honey with a yeast bite.

T - Tastes a tone like Duvel, although it seems a little more potent to me. I do not like Duvel, so I didn't like this beer either. A little sweet with a lot of soap and some yeast bite on the end.

M - Lighter, with nice carbonation, somewhat dry finish.

D - Hard to drink for me due to the taste. If you like Duvel, you should seek this one out.

3.42/5  rDev -19.5%

L: Cloudy, verging on orange color. Some sediment chunks are visible in the beer. Carbonation is high and the beer pours about a 2 finger head. Lacing is moderate.

S: A bit of sweet malt. Some pale fruit and bread-like aromas. I get virtually no hops, minus maybe a bit of spiciness that I perceive a combination of a phenols and the strisselspalt advertised on the bottle.

T: Fairly malty with a slight cereal grain taste. Some pale fruit - think pear and maybe a bit of green apple. A bit of light caramel. I get no grapefruit or citrusy hops whatsoever which is honestly a let down. Although the hop flavor doesn't really pop, bitterness is fairly firm and alcohol is mildly present given the percentage.

F: The carbonation and high abv pricks the tongue a bit but nothing drastic; it is normal for belgian style beers to have high carbonation. The body is far too syrupy for my liking.

O: Overall it wasn't bad but had no where near the hopiness it boasted about on the bottle. My bottle wasn't old terribly old either (something like 6 months). I got literally no pine or citrus hop flavor and the body was extremely thick. That being said not the most awful beer I've ever had but I wouldn't pay the money for it again. ... Over hyped.

3.51/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from Freud in a trade almost a year ago. Thanks for the Quebec love my man!

From a 75cl bottle into a wine glass.
Vintage: 2009
Tasted after Hibernus

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium looking white head with good retention. Head slowly fades to a good foam cap and clings to the sides. Cloudy gamboge orange in color with no carbonation evident. A good wisp remains until the end and leaves sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. A great looking brew for sure.

SMELL: Toasted malts, green fruits, apples, and a touch of white wine and champagne notes. A decent floral hop aroma plays a good supporting act as well.

TASTE: Toasted malts and green fruits up front. Green apples and pears are definitely there, with some white wine notes riding through the middle too. Mild and lingering aftertaste of green fruits and some bitter, flowery hops.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Not overly creamy, but smooth enough on the palate. Goes down smooth with a dry finish.

OVERALL: This is a solid brew, but didn’t think it was as complex or as interesting a Belgian IPA as Hibernus was a Strong Dark Ale. I enjoyed this one more than the others in the group did, but don’t think I’d seek it out again like I would Hibernus. Thanks again Freud for hooking us up with these ones!

3.56/5  rDev -16.2%

A bottle brought down from Jean of Quebec City. Had it previously just after it was released in '07 - very fresh and extremely aromatic then. This bottle had mellowed to the point of faded hop glory, but malt profile was still plenty sturdy and the alcohol nearly invisible - had become very sneaky for 10%. Retained a puffy, long-lasting head and the aroma, although muted, was still inviting. Highly-hopped, this beer gains no benefit from aging if you are a hop-head, but is still enjoyable if the balance more toward the malt end is preferred. Hardly any available now, so enjoyed it for its rarity at this point.

3.59/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Vices & Versa.

Pours a shiny glossy golden colour. Head is beige, nice lacing but head doesn't quite retain. Pretty good.

Banana, cinnamon, sugar-poached fruit, and star anise all vying for attention on the nose. Interesting.

Taste is all Belgian. Plenty of spice esters on there. Pepper, star anise and clove with some brown sugar, espresso and maybe some raisins towards the back, plus vanilla on the finish. Not a bad heavy Belgian character. Pretty sweet.

A bit foamy in the mouth. Very dry on the back.

Decent beer. Lots of spice, fair sweetness, but a bit too dry which doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the palate.

3.61/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very nice presentation. Pourred in a ball-like glass (Fin du monde) and revealled an hazy light amber colour with a THICK creamy/foamy white head. Head so thick that temper down the smell, but still revealing lots of spices, earth and yeast smell comes afterward. Still young and should be cellered for a while. Should handle long cellearing (5-10 years)if you can wait that long!

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Thanks to TCGoalie for procuring this treat on his travels in Canada and bringing to our tasting. This review is written from a group audio review that also included BuckyFresh and TCHopCraver.

The appearance of this beer was my favorite part. It is a nice golden straw color. Those glasses poured before the bottom of the bottle were nice and clear. The head was pretty amazing and quintessential Belgian. big, light and pillowy with very nice retention and lacing.

The yeast plays a big role in the aroma with a healthy dose of banana and some other spice notes. There was also a pretty good amount of lemony citrus as well as a bit of a "dank" hop aroma.

The flavor is not really my cup of tea, but half of us really enjoyed it. This beer had a pretty crazy taste to it with plenty of banana, some musty basement, pithy, piney and grassy. It also had a overall fruity and candied sort of flavor. I found it to be a bit astringent overall.

The body was appropriately medium with a nice softness to it that plays a good counterpoint to the extremely dry and bitter finish.

Overall I just could not get into the groove of this beer. I am usually a big fan of Belgian IPAs, but there was just something about this one that did not sit well with me. Perhaps a fresher bottle may have been a bit more to my liking. It was definitely worth trying though.

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Bottle- Deep golden pour unleashes a beautiful frothy white cap, leaving plenty of lace. Spicy, fruity nose hints at rose petal and fresh hops, with lots of citrus and a blast of cotton candy. Smells good. I don't really like the sweetness here, but the flavour profile is still pretty good. Sweet mango and apple with yeasty flavours lead to spices and candied malts. The hops don't come through in the flavour the way they were calling at me in the aroma. Pretty good beer to be sure. A bit over-hyped though.

3.64/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Mathieu for the trade. The bottle opens and I see a large spout of foam forming. This reminds me of Beezel, another golden Belgian ale I like.

Pours rich blond into a tulip glass. Immediate subtle scent of grass behind the alcohol and malt. If there are hops on the nose, they are very subtle. Mostly it's that farmy green note that reminds me of saisons.

Taste is very much like a saison. I see the style is supposed to be Belgian IPA, but I really don't get a lot of hops. I get a lot of acidity and brightness, but I wouldn't have guessed it's any sort of IPA. That said, it's very tasty (think saison), spicy, refreshing. The 10% is also a surprise, as it doesn't taste too hot or alcoholic.

Might buy again, especially in the summer.

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

Served out of what could pass as a wine bottle. Pours clear and golden with a mile high pillowy head that lasts and lasts. I did not find that the hops really played much of a role as I would expect in an IPA. The yeast and malt are at the forefront. Spicy and phenolic with hints of sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, and at 750 ml and 10% ABV, it isn't a beer you just sit down and finish by yourself.

My first Belgian IPA, and I wasn't sure what to expect. All in all very drinkable, and more Belgian Tripel then American IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Thanks to TCGoalie for bringing this treat back from Canada with him. Enjoyed at a tasting party with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and TCHopCraver.

Appearance: Pours a straw/golden yellow color with a very fluffy, white head with excellent retention and lacing. Moderate carbonation is visible.

Smell: Lemon and a dank, musty smell are prominent in the aroma. There is a lot of Belgian yeast character, exuding fruity banana character and some spiciness.

Taste: Tastes a bit like bitter basement bananas. Fairly dry overall. There is some candy character with a punch of decent hop bitterness. There are some softer notes as well, like grass and fruit. Very unique taste that approximately half of our tasting group enjoyed.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, fairly dry, and decently bitter. Has a softer touch as well and overall is pretty balanced and drinkable.

Overall: A pretty unique beer with some atypical characteristics. There are some things about it that I really liked, and some that were so-so. The flavor wasn't really in my wheelhouse, but I can see how some would like it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Bought at local liquor store and drank after approximately a month. Was highly interested in this drink but being so strong had no opportunity to pop and drink a whole bottle at once. I assumed 10% 3/4 liter would get me drunk.

Look: Bottle is dark, and looks boozy. Kinda like a wine bottle. I don't know what to expect next. Plenty of foam forms in my mug and almost flows over. The foam stays for a long time and reminds of of mocha latte or cappuccino whipped topping. Much lacing on the mug that stays forever.

Smell: upon popping the cap, a famous smell of crafted beer floats to my nose. Smells of alcohol and unknown spices. Poured into a large opaque coffee mug, the beer smells like wheat and booze.

Taste: Upon the first sip the taste of booze -alcohol- is present. The 10% "strong beer" shines through. I'm a little surprised by this. Subtleties of cloves and coriander? are present. Smooth, balanced and drinkable with some layers, but not as complex and profound as I expected. The alcohol predominates. Bitterness of the hops come through at the end and linger a bit. Hops are apparent with no(or almost no) maltiness.

Mouthfeel: slightly thick, a mild burn of alcohol, some carbonation. Foam is thick and booze-tasting. Foamage is excessively annoying.

Overall: If I were to describe this in one sentence, I would say: a Perfect concoction for the man that enjoys a straightforward boozy-tasting and slightly bitter drink that brings on mild intoxication after the first glass. I did enjoy the familiarity to my favorite drink "la fin du monde", similar spices are used, I did notice the booziness was a little excessive though. And the foam. The foam is nice as it adds a certain vanity to the drink, but is overall annoying as it will get on your facial hair and overall tastes very bitter. I would probably not buy this drink again, it was okay, better than a lot of drinks, but nowhere near my favorites. If I wanted a drink to show off my "expertise and class" I may buy this one, it is expensive (I paid 12$), and gets you drunk fast. I imagine after 2 bottles most people would be drunk. I have a buzz halfway down. The "extra strong beer" printed on the bottle gives fair warning to those of you that don't enjoy beer, won't probably enjoy this. To me it is a little too strong. Would be easy to imagine getting horribly sick and having a hangover off this, it drink s fairly easy and gives an exponential heady effect. Despite the hype, I am mostly unimpressed.

Would I recommend it? Maybe. It is not horrible, the only downfall is the booze-taste. Perhaps buy a couple of these and share between a friend or two.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I didn't know what to expect with this brew. I've had some other brews from them and had been pleasantly surprised.

It is a boozy beer. The alcohol will not be subtle. Paired with the bitterness, it is a bold and loud beer. There is almost no maltiness (or it's overwhelmed with hops bitterness). Color is absolutely beautiful... I love looking at it in the sunlight...deep yellow-orange with a very convincing lacing. can anyone say Carapils?

The smell is very much of grapefruit and coriander.. interesting if not overused.

The mouthfeel can be described as a spikey velvet. There is something round about this beer that suddenly gets thrown aside by the burning spikiness of the booze... Drink carefully :-)

In any case, this is a good beer..not a GREAT beer but something I will buy again. Worth the adventure!

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle poured into a stemlesss wine glass.

The beer pours a nice, light copper color, hues of orange and gold with a huge white soapy head, nearly 4 fingers high that has great retention and leaves behind a large network of soapy lacing. The aroma is of bitter, earthy hops with a bit of bright citrus, a touch of funky yeast, sweet alcohol, floral notes, with peppercorn in the finish. Bitterness hits the tongue straight away, hops are pinier on the tongue, tangerine and grapefruit come out as well, floral and yeasty notes are right behind it, lots of pale grain and sweet, boozy alcohol. The balance on the tongue is a bit questionable with the alcohol being quite dominant and creates a bit of a harshness that mutes some of the brighter and vibrant notes. The body is thick, yet very lively, almost creamy but zesty with a prickly texture that isn't quite hidden in the finish.

Verdict: A nice Belgian IPA and one that I'm glad to have tried. I was able to pick this bottle up when I was in Montreal on recommendation and was not disappointed, the alcohol could be dialed back a bit and I think it would really help this beer out, otherwise the hop character is a really pleasant aspect.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a fluffy white head. The nose is slightly bitter with a slight fruity sweetness and bite from the alcohol. There really is nothing special about the nose, although it seems quite refined and balanced. The beer's taste has a bold yeast presence and modestly hoppy aftertaste. Overall this is a taste beer, but I'm not sure it's quite worth the price. I found far more enjoyment in drinking bitter monk.

3.91/5  rDev -8%

Thanks to Dany from Quebec for this one! 750mL capped brown glass bottle. 2007 vintage.

Bright gold w/ 2 fingers of foamy white head. Lots of orange aromas with light notes of dried spices like coriander, plus some leafy parsley. Palate is super bright and spicy right off. Drying yeast and hop bitterness on the finish. Flavors of orange and light mango, white pepper and spiciness. Not a lot of hop flavor left in this beer. Long finish with a touch of drying mint.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours 1/2 finger of white head. Good retention and lace. Color is a vibrant golden orange.

Aroma: A lot of fruits. Apricots, pears, green apple skins. Some spice. Yeasty and bready.

Taste: Bready and yeasty with cloves and coriander. A lot of spice. A little funk. Pears, apricots, and apples. Very fruity.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and clean. A bit dry. High carbonation with a medium body. Ends dry.

Overall, this was a good beer. I really liked the nose. A bit dry. Decent drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev -6.4%

Bottle picked up in Spring in Trois Riviers, glad I didn't miss it. Smooth drinking yeasty ale, not complex but certainly smooth wth a good mouthfeel. Some candi. Foamy head. Pleasant aroma, bubblegummy.Citrus in finish from amarillo and simcoe. Saaz did not provide high carbonation, everything smooth.
Lateral tasting July 2010 against the Hibernus, and the latter is a clear winner. Yes the latter is a Belgian, but I think so is this and the yeast is the story. Funky yeast is more popular by e-raters.
Had again summer 2012 and shows itself as popular, sweet fruity drinkable.

Thanks to dickinsonbeer...
Appears a hazy, light gold with a 3 finger white head that slowly drops into a mild cap. Tons of streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of hoppy, sugary, cream, with peppers, pears, and pumelo.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with poached pear, apricots, and bananas.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, yeasty, estery, and fruity.

Pours a hazy yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, dry yeast and notes of green apples. In the taste, earthy, hoppy, a touch funky, and a dry green apple sweetness. A spice like bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry spice and earthy hop in the aftertaste. Hides the 10%, a mellow hop presence, but a bit saison like.

Bottle dated 2012/01/31 has been kept in the fridge for some time. Nice to see both aroma and flavour profiles change so dramatically as it warms up to the correct temperature.

Pours a hazy, light golden colour with an impressive amount of white head and residual lacing. Aroma predominantly of citrusy hops while the beer is chilled, with the Belgian yeast gaining ground as it warms. The taste is very well balanced, with little hint of its 10% ABV. Bready malts, citrus hops and Belgian yeast all meld together on many levels, transitioning nicely from sweet to sweeter to dry. The finish is pleasantly bitter and lingers for an impressive time.

Believe this to be an excellent example of the Belgian IPA style.

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a clear light golden color with a big thick head, lots of lacing.

Smells pretty dank, even a little bit funky, some lemon zest, some odd flower notes, lots of spice, yeast. Pretty funky smell but pretty nice.

Taste is sweeter, some honey, kindof funky and a little dank again, spices and flowers, not very citrusy but slightly bitter and maybe a touch of zest, Belgian yeast is noticeable.

Very nice mouthfeel, great carb, very creamy.

Pretty unique beer, very good.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Quite lively, initial pour is mostly foam. Cascading lace covering the glass when this chunky/rocky head subsides. Impressive retention. Color is a slightly hazed golden color with a noticeable amount of carbonation.

S- Aroma is more reminiscent of a Belgian Strong Pale than a Belgian IPA. The hops on the nose tend to be more earthy, spicy and floral as opposed to citrusy. Strong yeast aroma. Becomes slightly fruity as it warms.

T- Green skinned fruits such as pears, apples, and grapes. Sweet malts, tangerines and a touch peppery as well. Turns slightly bitter in the finish, citrus rind lingers for some time.

M- A creamy mouthfeel, body is medium as is the carbonation. Dry Finish.

D- An easy drinker for 10% abv. This grew on me as it warmed, wasn't all that impressed initially, but another nice offering from one of Canada's best breweries.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours pale straw with a gigantic, unstoppable head. This foamy mass lasts longer than the liquid underneath, just coating the glass with foam. Grassy and herbal hops fill the aroma. The taste follows suite with a barage of noble-like earthy, arboreal hops. A balancing bready maltiness lays in the background. The mouthfeel is full bodied with a prickly, very active carbonation... this is the champagne of beer.

A great continental IPA. Seek this out if you get the chance, very balanced and rich tasting.

Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus from Microbrasserie Charlevoix