Flacatoune - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

FlacatouneFlacatoune

Microbrasserie Charlevoix visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ZorPrime on 09-20-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by grub:
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Viggo brought this one over, picked up on a recent trip to montreal. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. bottled on 2010 AOU 24. sampled feb 26/2011.

pours orangey amber, mostly clear until the bottom of the bottle when it got a little yeasty haze. a small cap of bright white head forms, dropping slowly and leaving spotty lace.

aroma is great. bright floral hops. belgian yeasty spice. caramel and toffee. honey. white bread and cracker. touch of grain. light alcohol. faint ginger and coriander.

taste is good. floral and slightly perfumey. caramel and honey. light buttery toffee. coriander and ginger and belgian yeasty spice. lightly warming alcohol. low bitterness level. a little flatter than the aroma, but still quite nice.

mouthfeel is nice. slightly prickly medium-high carbonation level. light body with a fairly dry finish.

drinkability is nice. pretty good balance. nice depth. a solid BPA.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle picked up from Lubiere, cellared only bit a few months and well within the fresh by period. Yellow with carbonation bubbles and a soapy white head. Hoppy and yeasty aromas. A very decent yeast, perhaps two, is used. Very good drinkability. IBU but 12 yet tastes more pronounced. A good mouthfeel. Very good rep of the underappreciated Belgian pale style. Another well crafted by this brewery.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

So I've heard a lot about this one. Finally getting to taste it since the first one I bought, my brother decided to pick out my beer fridge.

A- A whole lot of fluffy white head that doesn't look like it's going anywhere. Hazy, dark but kind of bland gold.

S- Smell reminds me of La Fin Du Monde but with a strong banana aroma which also makes it all softer. Guava as it warms.

T- Vanilla. Tiny bit of boiled veggie. Lots of alcohol. Clove, nutmeg and a bit of anise in the finish. Tastes good.

M- Close to a full feel but the very high carbonation blows up in making it an extra full feel. Dry.

D- Quite good. I would like to drink more and it's fairly late in the night. Light enough in taste so you can drink lots (enough flavor though) but the abundant carbonation makes it all very filling.

So it's a good beer. Better than average. I recommend it. I may drink it again.
Although not exactly the same as some Unibroue beers, I'd have a La Fin du Monde or a Don De Dieu instead (cheaper for a similar experience).

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle in Duvel tulip
bottled on 5/1/14
purchased at L' Duchesse in Quebec City in June and in the fridge since then

A: Crystal clear, golden color with a huge, almost perfectly white head, a massive amount of lace. I was thinking big blonde beer based on the label, but I immediately thought "pours like a Belgian" when I saw the carbonation and the head.
S: Then I got a hint of the spicy Belgian style yeast and realized that this was definitely not an American style blonde.
T: Belgian spice and a little bit of fruit, makes me think of a spicier version of Duvel, very nice.
M: Crisp, but not dry, lots of carbonation and a little bit of malty roundness.
O: This is a kickass beer, I don't know how much I paid, but I would happily buy it again. It goes down way too easy for a 7% beer, I could happily drink a liter and then reach for more, but I would almost certainly regret the decision in the morning. Delicious and highly recommended.

I stopped at a random depanneur in Montreal and was surprised to find this one. I've been a Charlevoix fan for a while now and have never encountered Flacatoune before. It seems to be a rarity, with their Vache Folle and Dominus Vobiscum lines taking centre stage (Flacatoune is neither). Bottled May 19, 2010, so it seems it's still in active production.

I'll attempt a little translation of the label description, since I don't know if I'll be seeing this one again:

"Intelligent blonde beer representing the image of bootlegger women of the '30s. La Flacatoune allows us to appriciate our old French, since this word meant "beer" in ancient times.

La Flacatoune is a beer made of pure malt, brewed with yeast of Belgian origine which emports a strong fruitiness to this tasting blonde. The generous aroma hopping and the abundant carbonation makes this beer an excellent apertif!"

Typical explosive Charlevoix head, though this one is a lot more airy and dies down faster than others. A nice finger hangs around to cover the surface. Light-golden body and almost clear, with lots of visible carbonation. Adding the yeast makes it considerably less transparent.

Pretty nice refreshing Belgian-style nose. Lemon, candy malt, spicy Belgian yeast, a touch of spicy herbal hops, astringency, general fruitiness. Smells like the real thing (ie. from Belgium).

Charlevoix really know their Belgian brews; I wouldn't doubt anyone who told me this is from Belgium and not Quebec. It really almost comes off as more of a triple than of a Belgian pale ale; quite similar to their own triple if I remember correctly (I have always had some confusion about the style distinction, however). Light, refreshing and hiding its alcohol well at 7% ABV. Some alcoholic harshness does show up a little as it warms, and on the finsh as well. Lemon, herbal hops, light candy malt, subtle coriander and other trace spices. Probably not as complex as the other stronger Dominus Vobiscums but still nice.

It was a little on the thin side but after pouring the yeast sediment in the body thickened up a bit. Solid medium body with an appropriate lively carbonation.

It's all good! I was surprised to see this one getting less than average reviews for Charlevoix; I can't say that I agree. I think it would fit right in amongst their Dominus Vobiscum line in terms of quality (though maybe it's a little too similar to their Triple). I always have a hard time finding anything bad to say about Charlevoix and am not doing any better here. I'm enjoying this one and would pick it up again if I saw it. A solid Belgian pale/triple.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a bright golden yellow with a super huge pure white foamy head with great retention and super good lacing. Aroma of sugar, light warming alcohol and fruity ester such as apricot. Taste is very refreshing though still complex enough with warm alcohol notes and fruity ester with nice residual sugar notes as well. Body is quite full for style with great carbonation and alcohol is somewhat detectable. Well brewed and enjoyable as most beers from this brewer.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Tasted on September 14, 2009.

A: Golden yellow with a nice big head. The beer is hazy. The head is made of big bubbles and a lot of carbonation.

S: Banana... spices, yeast. Complex aroma but typical of the yeast used at this brewery.

T: Very hard for me to get above the banana taste. Not bad, but not my beer style I would say. I would love more hops, I don't get it.

M: Thin to medium-body.

D: Very refreshing beer and easy to drink for a 7% beer.

Not a bad beer, to me this is average... at best, however, for a hot summer day I would go for this one.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

500ml bottle split with Bobsy - thanks man!

Light golden straw color with some haze in the bottom from the bottom of the bottle. A gentle pour still kicks up about 4 fingers of head, just billows to the top.

Nose is heavy on the banana, some light coriander, a few random fruit esters, hints of apple juice.

I am very rarely let down by Charlevoix but this one is the exception. The carbonation goes a step beyond what I would call over-carbonated, it literally explodes in the mouth causing icicles of carbonation to pierce the mouth all over. Disjointed flavors, banana heavy on the front, slight herbal bitterness, coriander, light graininess. No off flavors but it all feels out of whack and the carbonation is so intense that it's hard to pick out the more subtle nuances of the beer - hell, with a simple swirl I can get 2 fingers of head!

Perhaps with a more moderate carb it would be an average craft beer - as such, it has a major flaw.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

500ml Bottle - from Marche Omni for around 4$

Appearance - Slightly hazy yellow/amber colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Lemon, grains, banana, yeast

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste lemons, bananas, and grains mixed with malts. There is also some floral notes and it ends with a lemony tart aftertaste.

Overall - A well crafted beer that is well worth it's price. The flavours are well balanced and pleasant. The beer is very easy to drink and I'd have it again.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of Belgian yeast, cloves, a touch of pepper, some breadiness and floral hops.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has some Belgian yeast, cloves, banana, faint pepper, some bread and floral hops.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

bottle from awesome girlfriend in gatenoux.

pours a light yellow-orange color with a nice finger of head. carbonation retreats quickly leaving a nice ring of lacing around.
Nose is nice, a belgian yeast with a nice english hop presence... some nice light bready characteristics. Lemon comes out a bit on the back end of the nose as well. More complex nose than i expected. More of a saison style nose.
Taste is a let down based on the nose. I get a lot of soda water on the finish... trace amounts of hop and belgian yeast, a hint of banana, some brett on the finish too. I was going to rip this, because the first sip was all soda water, but the more I drink this, it is getting more complex and impressive.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin and largely bubbled... but meh, everything else outweighs it. I like this.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottled December 14, 2011.

Beer is a light golden with a very large, snow white head. Head is thick and solid looking. Great retention. Good lacing.

Smell is nice. A bit reminiscent of Charlevoix's Blanche, there appears to be chamomile in the beer. Sweet malt, some spicy notes (coriander), lemon, Belgian yeast.

Taste follows the nose. Creamy, sweet malt, Belgian yeast, lemon, coriander. Again, has a lot of similarities to the Blanche, but with a different malt base. Spices come out particularly in the finish.

Medium bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a very enjoyable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%