La Vache Folle Double IPA - Simcoe - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Quebec, Canada

Beer added by: Tim2000 on 11-18-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.76/5  rDev -6.2%

This is a beautiful IIPA. Almost translucent and bright-amber in colour, the off-white head poured has the consistency of frothed milk. Good lacing but while the initlal retention looked impressive, after a couple minutes there was nothing more than a thin covering. This would have earned a solid 4.5 if the head stuck around.

Strange, there's a huge frothy head but not much smell coming off of it. I'm not sure why. The smell that is here is great, mostly buttery caramel and floral, citrusy hops (Simcoe, I suppose, since these were the only hops used). It's difficult to even pick this up though. I've beed snorting in whatever I can from this one the whole time I've been drinking it and it has only improved marginally as it warmed. I really wish the lack of smell didn't drag this beer's rating down so much, but I can't give it anymore than 3.

I really like this but it's definitely not a typical IIPA. I don't know anything about Simcoe hops, so it's hard to know whether I'm misjudging based on an ignorance of these specific hops, but it doesn't seem like there are quite enough hops present. I wouldn't say it's completely balanced either. I do enjoy a malty IPA more than most, but this one doesn't have an extreme enough hops level to balance it out. Found here is mostly roasty caramel malt and earthy hops. There's a tasty, lingering bitter finish. The powerful 9% ABV is very well hidden, only contributing to the flavour. While I wouldn't say this beer is at all complex or completely balanced, I'm really enjoying it regardless. Maybe this is just what Simcoe hops taste like.

Sticky, medium-full bodied feel with a light-moderate carbonation. Great feel.

For a 9%er, this is extremely drinkable. I'm about to finish off a 500ml bottle and could definitely keep going.

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Here's a new one from Charlevoix - a single-hop Double IPA bittered with Simcoe hops.

500 mL brown bottle, bottled two weeks ago.

Pours a copper orange with a thick white head.

Aroma is of burnt sugar and citrus fruit.

Lots of sweet caramel and candied orange peel. A powerful hop bitterness hits soon after, slightly resinous. Alcohol is well hidden. Syrupy mouthfeel with moderate to low carbonation.

Simple but delicious. Hop candy!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last