La Vache Folle Double IPA - Herkules - Microbrasserie Charlevoix

La Vache Folle Double IPA - HerkulesLa Vache Folle Double IPA - Herkules

Microbrasserie Charlevoix visit their website
Quebec, Canada

(Beer added by: Tim2000 on 05-01-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
hoser

Alberta (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

I have never had a big alpha DIPA made with only German hops. To say this is a strange concept for a DIPA is a bit of an understatement. I really like this beer but it seems more like a lager. Maybe it is the hops as Herkules seems like a high alpha Hallertau. A big crisp lager has just a hint of ale esters in the finish late and I could see myself drinking a lot of this beer.

I like this brewery's series of the single hopped DIPAs and keep them coming.

06-07-2010 21:57:58 | More by hoser
eat

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

One of the last few bottles remaining from Peluso. That happened to me with the Amarillo as well; I keep getting lucky. Herkules pours as one of the least attractive Charlevoix brews I've seen. A slightly watery-looking and mostly-clear amber body produces only a sparse bubbly cover of bright-white head.

Maybe the hops have already faded at just over a month after bottling (April 27). I'm not getting 100 IBU out of the nose. It's pretty much an equal blend of bready, sugary candy malt and piney, tropical fruit-like hops. Lots of pineapple, papaya and guava; a bit of alcohol. Just a touch of German character there. I'm not familiar with Herkules but this smells more West Coast than German. Not bad but nothing spectacular like I've come to expect from Charlevoix.

It's really cool how this series showcases individual hops so well; this edition is nothing like its predecessors. There is a touch of the tropical character present (pineapple rind) but the hops in the flavour are dominated by pine resin and juniper, followed up with some cat piss; not what I was expecting. The bitterness is high but isn't really backed by enough flavour. Bitterness overshadows the candy malt, covering up most of the sugariness found in the nose. Some harsh alcohol shows up, but mostly blends in with the IBUs. Quite a bitter, drying finish with some lingering gin-like juniper (Bombay Sapphire, to be specific). Doesn't really seem German nor West Coast, but something else entirely.

Usually I'm impressed with the feel Charlevoix pulls off but this one is actually a little on the watery side, as noted from the appearance. You can see the viscosity is not all there. Carbonation is also low, maybe a bit too light, even.

I feel like the hops must already have faded significantly, highlighting the importance of freshness with these kinds of beers. When I picked this up at Peluso, it was in the fridge and I've had it almost constantly in refrigeration since then. Still, that wasn't enough; I should have opened one earlier. I think I did get a good idea of what Herkules hops are all about, though. I definitely wouldn't call this sessionable (for IBU and ABV reasons). This isn't the star of the series but does make for an interesting addition.

06-03-2010 01:00:02 | More by eat
flipper2gv

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Straight copper color, fully translucent. Head is pure white, quite good, but lacks a bit of retention a bit. Insane amount of lacing. Gorgeous beer.

S: They used German hops for this brew and it shows. There are lots of piny hops in this, with a good mix of herbal hops. There also are a good level of citrus from hte hops, makes me think mostly of lime. A nice sweetness is present, making me think of brown sugar. A bit of tartness also present. Not as strong as the other offerings yet still interesting.

T: Starts out real smooth and sweet: there is tart and brown sugar. Then, it's a good level of the lime like hops, but still in smoothness, nothing really aggressive. Then, there is lots of piny hops, without any sweetness, it's raw and in your face. It is accompanied by a light grassy-ness. It develops in the mouth, interesting. Too much bittering hops, not enough flavor from them.

M: Medium to heavy body, really smooth feel and a nice level of carbonation to keep a brew like this alive. I would have preferred a bit more carbonation.

D: It's an IPA, it's not an intimidating brew. Easy to drink but because of its "bigger" nature in the feel and in the taste, it isn't as sessionnable as the Amarillo version.

They did a great job with the Amarillo to bring the West coast hops, a great job with the Simcoe and Bravo for a more East coast version, but this really has a German feel to it. In that sense, that beer is a success.

EDIT: It's written on the bottle this is a 100 IBU beer, around what I thought.

05-20-2010 03:15:44 | More by flipper2gv
Yoonisaykul

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Can't wait to try this. I miss the Amarillo edition.
A- Real pretty copper. Unimpressive head which recedes leaving an okay floater in the middle. Lots of tightly knit lace.

S- Right out of the bottle it smells like guava juice. In the glass, the smell is pretty tame. It is still pretty cold though. Warming up lets out lots of vodka-like alcohol. Strong honey and a tiny bit of marmelade and bubblegum.

T- I was scared I got a bit of onion but it's really not that bad.
My lips are sticky and sweet. Sweet malt and cirtus bitterness. Felt pretty bitter at first but you easily get used to it. Alcohol fits in nicely.

M- Full mouthfeel. High and very smooth carbonation but it went completely flat, that's not a problem though.

D- Good. I'd have a couple bottles... three... four...

Well I'm not exactly going crazy for this (like I did for the Amarillo) but it's a very good beer. Very possible that I buy it again.

05-15-2010 01:47:08 | More by Yoonisaykul
Tim2000

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

500 mL brown bottle. Limited edition double IPA made with Herkules hops.

Pours a crystal clear copper orange with a thick white head that leaves nice lacing.

Big citrus aroma, spicy and a bit sour.

Sweet caramel malt is quickly overtaken by potent hops. Bitter orange and some grassiness. Candied fruit notes are in there as well. Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

I really love this series of huge IPAs showcasing different hop varietals. Keep them coming.

05-01-2010 17:26:02 | More by Tim2000