Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hoyner Pilsner | Hoyne Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Hoyner PilsnerHoyner Pilsner

Hoyne Brewing Co.
British Columbia, Canada | website

Style: German Pilsener

On the third night, I handed my sweetie a tall slender Pilsner. Perfectly poured. While holding it up and gazing either at it, or through it at me, she said softly, “you are so fine to me.” It was hard to tell if she meant to be heard. “Ambiguity, thy Name is Woman”, I nearly uttered. Whether she was speaking to me, or to the beer, it was merely semantics. The deal was sealed. I would make it my life”s work to make fine beer.

Added by LampertLand on 01-30-2012

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 42
4.04/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 650 mL bottle poured into a 0.3L Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pale, clear gold with a lush, billowing head of white foam. Leaves nice patches of lace. Visible carbonation.

Smell: Pale malts, bread and big floral hops.

Taste: Gentle but solidly malty body, cereal notes, slight honey sweetness and plenty of grassy hops towards a crisp, herbal bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, creamy smooth with moderate carbonation

Overall: Subtle, well balanced and drinkable.

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hoyner Pilsner is light and bright but not all that easy to see through; despite the sunny colour it has a very icy complexion. Its head looks like literal lace, a decorative cotton-white draping that's thick enough to pass for upholstery cover. It definitely looks like a proper, well-made pilsner.

A true pilsner is where two become one - sweetish, graham cracker-like maltiness and zesty, grassy hoppiness act here as a singular, delicious entity. Complexity is not just for imperial stouts or barleywines - just because pilsners are more familiar doesn't make them any less intricate.

And this particular example also has a distinct fruitiness to go along with its more herbal side. My guess is those hints of pineapple and lemon peel relate to that little green cone that acts as the brewery's mascot. (Indeed this is made with a generous blend of Saaz, Hallertau, Hersbrucker, and Spalter.)

The other side of the equation warrants attention as well. Vienna and Carapils malts result in a crunchy, chewy cereal-like graininess with a subtly sweet edge. It's perfectly attenuated and marries beautifully with the zesty florals of the hops. It's a pilsner I wouldn't bore of after one.

Even in an era of barrel-aged stouts and wildly inoculated sours, I'd argue that a properly made lager is the most impressive part of a craft brewer's portfolio. Balancing character with quaffability is a challenging task, especially when you only have low-moderate alcohol and light colour to play with as well as hundreds of years of tradition to live up to. Hoyner Pilsner, however, does exactly that.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650ml bomber poured into tall Pilsner glass 8/8/13

A clear golden yellow with lots of suspended particles throughout, a few streams of bubbles feeding a loose finger of foam that leaves a few thick rings before falling to a thick film

S citrus and cereal, floral honey, plenty of hops, even some tropical notes

T nicely hopped in the mouth to but still has balance, slightly metallic, grassy hops differ from what I was smelling, just a little lemon

M light, crisp and refreshing, plenty of bubble and a it finishes with lots of grass, citrus, and cereal, just a little gritty on the palate

O this was a nice surprise, very easy to drink and lots of flavour in a brew I could session under a sun, hopped right up

I'll grab a few more of these while I'm out this way, well priced and well suited for the season, If you like hoppy pilsners go looking for it

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best Pilsner I've had outside of the Czech Republic. This is what a Pilsner is supposed to taste like. Malty, hoppy, pungent, crisp. It's got everything. This might be the beer I'd take to a desert island. If I could brew any beer I wanted, this would be the benchmark.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear, golden yellow with a huge white head, good retention & lace.

Huge floral aroma, with a bit of steelie grass. Hops are up front in the flavour as well. This ain't no domestic fake, this is a real pilsner. I could go for a bit more bitterness, but it's good.

Well-attenuated, moderate body is smooth with a crisp finish.

We need more hoppy pils like this!

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Hoyne Brewing "Hoyner Pilsner" @ 5.3% served cold from a 650 ml bottle ,
A-poured into a pilsner glass a lovely golden hue , nice head leaving lacing around the glass
S-not strong , pale malts , mild hops
T-how a pilsner should taste , good
MF-nice body , lightly carbonated easy on the palate
Ov-very pleasant beer , I looking forward to more from Hoyne ,
Cheers LampertLand

Hoyner Pilsner from Hoyne Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.