Chasing The Dragon - Free Will Brewing Co.

Chasing The Dragon

to view more.
Ratings: 67 | Reviews: 11
Reviews by BuxMontBeerLover:
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent. A near perfect example of a double IPA. A tangy front with a great grease fruit nose that follows through to the finish, which lingers subtally and well. Pours nice with a quickly dissipating head and a balanced carbonation. If you haven't heard of Free Will before (like me) this beer is going to put them on the map .

I sat down at a bar stool to drink this beer. This is the optimal position to enjoy this high quality adult beverage. I first ordered for my female friend, because women should be served first. After she was served another woman was waiting for be served so I let her go first. Another woman appeared as she was waiting. In total 7 women were served before me, but I am a modern gentleman so I had no problem waiting. Let me tell you, this beer was worth the wait. I tip my fedora to Free Will Brewing company. The only thing that would have gone better is if I had a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos to go with it.

Overall fedora/10

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

I don't like IPAs:

Pours thick like vodka that's been in the freezer into a wine glass. Looks like cloudy honey with a little carbonation. A small lacy head leaves traces. Hoppy aroma. At first sip I'm a believer. Up front creamy mouthfeel with grapefruit hop bitterness suspended in viscosity not offending, not harsh but welcoming frequent sips.No alcohol detected at all. (Be careful)Finishes clean I think I heard 200 Ibu. ok you've made the most sublime heaven sent liquid ever tasted.
Very impressed Free Will.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This is just from memory, as I had it as a sample at the brewery. For a free tasting, the pour was a solid 4 oz. Not bad if you ask me.

They claim 200+ IBUs and this beer was dank.. I mean DANK. The hops were so rich with flavor, but not super bitter. I need to get a small fill of this next time I'm in the area.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Canal St. Pub, Reading, PA.

Golden-orange pour, hazy, with a thin cap of white head that left spotty lacing on the glass. In the nose, resinous pine, dank grapefruit, background bready malts. Similar taste, oily, resinous pine, grapefruit and orange peel, some ammonia, bready malts bringing in a good amount of sweetness, but it never quite overpowers the hoppiness, which of course is the way it should be. Some solvent-like booze detectable. Medium body, a bit chewy and sticky. Good overall.

4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have always said free will is a very cool place with very avg beer. This brew changes that. It said 11.2 percent on the board in the shop but it drank like a standard 8 percent dipa. Nice light color, great nose, awesome taste. High end shit.

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler I picked up on Friday, which they just tapped as well!
A beautiful orange-gold body with a 1/2 finger head. Dissipated quickly. Left no lacing in the glass.
Smells of apricots, oranges, and citrus! Super powerful! Can smell it from a couple of feet away.
Taste? Oh my lawd! Follows the aroma; apricots, citrus: grapefruit, oranges, some tropical fruit and pine. Followed by a sweetness from the malt on the end.
Mouthfeel: Tongue-numbing bitterness' Makes you want to keep going back for more.
Overall: One of the best beers from Free Will and one of the best DIPA's out there. (period) If you can get to the brewery to get this or know someone who can....Do yourself a favor and GET THIS BEER!!

A: A nice cloudy orange amber in color, with a nice fluffy white head at the top that left some nice lacing around the glass as you drank it.

S: Lots of tropical fruit on the nose, oranges, kiwi, pineapple, mango, and some subtle banana on the back side of this one.

T: Same as the nose, lots of tropical notes and citra coming through, mango, peach, lemon and some sweet honey to balance it out.

M: Full bodied, lots of carbonation, dry sweet finish.

O: A nice full bodied beer, very tasty and refreshing, lots of good sweet characters on this brew.

Awesome fruity aroma and totally smooth and balanced for how strong it is!

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Tall thick white crackly head with dense bubbles. Sits atop a dark amber brew. A good bit of lacing clings as this is drank down.

S - A good bouquet if fruit here. Kiwi, orange, cantelope, and some lemon. Theres a good bit of pine and phenols from the alcohol. This particular "dragon" is 9.9%.

T - Lets see, lemon, pine, mango, and tons of citra. Almost has a zombie dust, 3 floyds flavor to it. But this is unique of that beer. You can detect the booze going down but not taste it on the tongue. The malt bill produces a candy sugar sweet to try and balance the bitterness. What it does is give off another awesome flavor and layer of complexity to this beer.

M - Full bodied highly carbed brew. This thing really coat's the mouth and sticks to your tastebuds.

O - As I sit back deeper into my couch, slip into euphoria and begin to drool on myself, I can't help but wonder if this beer can get just a liiiittttlleee bit better. Thats the idea of this great experiment, but John and Dom have truly produced a great one, and I thoroughly enjoyed this version.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

So aptly named. I feel quite lucky to live near free will and get to try this beauty.

to view more.
Chasing The Dragon from Free Will Brewing Co.