Hop Geek #1 - Free Will Brewing Company

Hop Geek #1Hop Geek #1

good

Free Will Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 07-23-2012)
View: Beers (43) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by BilbosNuts:
BilbosNuts

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Travcofarms for hooking me up with this one.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Good looking beer. Pours a hazy sunburst orange color with a big, creamy, off white head. The head sticks around for most of the drink and leaves behind some spotted lacing. Light bubble streams of carbonation give it a lively, inviting appearance.

S: Nice balance of piney and tropical notes with a biscuit, toasted malt backbone. Quite pleasant.

T: The taste doesn't resemble the aroma at all. It's kind of odd. The promise of hops is overwhelmed by the toasted malt and hardly any of the tropical fruit or piney aspects found in the smell are present in the taste. Bit of a let down for me.

M: Medium bodied with a light touch of carbonation. Very little hop bite, if any. It does hide the alcohol well however.

O: I had some big expectations for this after the appearance and aroma. Alas, the taste let me down as it didn't come close to the aromatics.

07-04-2013 02:06:05 | More by BilbosNuts
Dodo2step

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- dark caramel look to it that is somewhat hard to see through. Had is less than half finger but the lacing is like a base molding. very succinct and intact.

S- sweet toasted caramel malts. molasses and dark candied fruit.

F- dark candied grapefruit. like grapefruit dipped in molasses. Sweet caramel malts with a toasted flavor of toffee almost.

M- chewy and fairly thick. the alcohol definitely lingers on the palate longer than I would like. Warmth all the way down the gullet.

O- not a bad brew. Different and just above average. would have another but wont buy a six of it.

07-19-2014 23:05:00 | More by Dodo2step
woodychandler

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My previous 21-oz. bottle review was Rapunzel, also from Free Will B.C., so I am kind of picking up where I left off. I have dedicated myself to eradicating the immense backlog of bottles that I have allowed to accumulate so that I cay rededicate myself to The CANQuest (TM). Why do I resemble the geek on the label? With the exception of his scarf, i have worn a white lab coat with many pens, clunky black-framed glasses, a knit skullcap and stood in front of a board with chalk in my hand. What are they trying to suggest? This one came from The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop.

From the bottle: "We brew to taste, fit to style".

I always like to see what others have said if I am not the first reviewer. Most people seemed to mention a lot of foaming action, so I took it kind of easy on the pour. I had filled just over a quarter of the glass when the pseudo-cascade led to immense foaming and I had to back off. This settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. I could smell the nose immediately - it was like pine resin and if they could make this into an air freshener scent, I would buy loads! That reminds me - I need to put the garbage out on Sunday night as it is getting kind of ripe here in Chez Woody's kitchen. Color was a deep coppery-amber (SRM = > 17, < 22) with a lot of floaties in evidence and its only impediment to clarity. I leaned in for a better sniff and it was like someone had just nailed me in my solar plexus. Phew! Coming in hot today, boys! Mouthfeel was thick, like a dollop of pudding on my tongue, and it was bringing the heat, also. Old, weak, dead and and dying taste buds were stripped away as it wormed its way into my tongue like muriatic acid. Once things began to cool off and settle down, the piney mintiness was evident as was the caramel of the malt. Yummy. Still, the fusel alcohol heat was unrelenting. The finish was, unbelievably, semi-dry since the caramel malt helped to add a modicum of sweetness to the madness. I may need to lay down for a moment.

07-18-2014 17:34:57 | More by woodychandler

XmnwildX12

05-08-2014 00:31:23 | More by XmnwildX12
BikeBeerSki

4.38/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I agree, has a little more malt than expected, but I like that. Kinda like the tannins giving structure to wine. Could have been a little less malty and a little more in the citrus hops. I am a fan of Dogfish Head 90, and while Hop Geek was not quite as well organized, I was immediately reminded of that great brew from Delaware. I will certainly buy this again and since Perkasie is pretty close by, I know I can always find it.

04-18-2014 00:27:56 | More by BikeBeerSki
MSL94

03-28-2014 00:19:20 | More by MSL94
KolbMarley

03-26-2014 14:35:16 | More by KolbMarley
CHADMC3

Connecticut

3.19/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark amber body beneath the tannish head which is slow to dissipate leaving a sticky lacing about the top of the beer and glass.

Aroma is very malty for an Imperial IPA, caramel sweetness, but also earthy and what I assume to be citrus hops. The challenge with deciphering the citrus hop variety is that the malt overshadows it a bit, but it seems like blood orange, or very sweet along those lines.

The flavor is similar, quite a bit of malt, very sweet - caramel, maybe toffee and a touch of biscuit. The hops are spicier on the palate, still earthy, and again some citrusy sweetness in there.

This is a full bodied brew, coating the palate with generous carbonation to add and a thick finish.

Perhaps a touch on the malty side for my liking and the style in my opinion. Not a bad beer, just not the hop bombs American DIPA's are appreciated for.

03-23-2014 22:12:17 | More by CHADMC3
Gavage

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: pours a dark hazy orange color with a 1/4" head that breaks down immediately.

Smell: grapefruit and earthy tones are up front but not as pleasant as I would like.

Taste: caramel, grapefruit, mango, earthy bitterness, and a bit of warming alcohol. The flavors are a bit unbalanced.

Mouhtfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp to start, less crisp and dry at the finish, Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a DIPA that is a bit unbalanced and too focused on bitterness levels.

03-16-2014 18:31:12 | More by Gavage

Diplomat11

03-03-2014 00:18:01 | More by Diplomat11
mvanaskie13

2.98/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a chalice, color is dark amber, opaque, head is tan, pretty dense and presents somewhat thick 1/2 inch.

Smell is a little sweet, caramel, toast, big off flavor from the hop, metallic/earthy but unpleasant and detracting.

Taste is follows suit to the nose, cloying sweet, hop off flavors: malt is all caramel, too sweet for a strong ipa, hops dont come through well or pleasant.

Moutfeel is very cloying, sweet, strong lingering presence from the sweetness and hop combination.

Overall, a strong ipa that is not well executed, flavors seem off and mouthfeel is cloying.

02-23-2014 01:25:45 | More by mvanaskie13