Destiny's Wit - Free Will Brewing Co.

Destiny's WitDestiny's Wit

good

Free Will Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Witbier |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: corby112 on 09-11-2012

Our traditionally-styled Belgian White Ale is crafted using a variety of malts and spices. Rather than competing for individual attention these ingredients harmonize for a complex, well-rounded, drinking experience. A silky feeling envelops the palate; subtle sweetness balances the spice before yielding to a delicate, tart, finish that is highlighted with a touch of white pepper.

Reviews by tone77:
3.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a whitish/yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is kind of mild, a bit of citrus. Taste is oranges, some spices, very refreshing and the glass is going down quick. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a fine beer to drink on a hot day.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

First beer from Free Will, a lot of new players in the game let's see how they are doing! Pours a slightly hazed peach/apricot golden hue with a bright white head forming thick fine even spread lace looks great thus far.

Aroma is nice sharp wheat notes, mild mango, ripened fruit a hint of banana, welcome coriander spice notes, and citrus peel just barley peeking through on the nose.

Flavors go well together a bit of excessive sweetness and a bit of harsh grain husks and tart finish on the back end that I wasn't expecting overall, though the wheat accents work. A bit more citrus peel would balances it out a bit the over ripened fruit comes through on the palate with as much sweetness as brown banana, clove, coriander make a presence tying it all together.

Mouthfeel, I think I touched on the sweetness adding a bit of cloying quality to the beer, goes down but after retraining my palate to be able to handle all of the unfermented sugars on board.

Overall, why is beer like this when it can taste like Great Lakes Holy Moses or Whirlwind Wit from Victory, this brewery definitely still has it's training wheels on and we will keep on eye on it as it grows to see if things improve.

3.04/5  rDev -13.1%

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I think that this one also came from tone77 as I am not generally given to buying bottled beers, and certainly not wits, on my own. He keeps me honest and grounded because otherwise I would drink nothing but IPAs and CANned beers.

From the bottle: "We brew to taste, fit to style".; "Pouring Instructions: Pour 3/4 of bottle into glass; swirl remaining liquid inside bottle to rouse yeast, then pour into glass."

I have Destiny's Child playing on YouTube as musical accompaniment and I followed the label's directions, so here we go. I got a fluffy finger of bone-white head atop the beer so that it all looked like a cross-section of lemon meringue pie. Color was a cloudy yellow, about the shade of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (SRM = 4). Nose smelled tangy with a black pepper bite. Mouthfeel was effervescent and the taste was peppery, but with a bubble gum-like sweetness and an indecipherable tang on the tongue. I am not a huge fan of the style, but the homeboys really did a nice job with this one. Finish was semi-dry, thanks to the spices and the yeast having done its part. I can hang with semi-dry in the style, but I have had some numbers which were too dry, hence my trepidation.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

2.84/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a pale straw with a finger of white head. Most of the head dissipated quickly, but a film of froth remained floating atop the yellow liquid for some time. The nose has mild notes of Belgian yeast. The flavor is like most wits - funky. However, there is something extra here that was stomach churning for me.

I admit that wits are not even close to my favorite style, but there is something about this beer that was particularly bad. I have never had a drain pour and don’t plan on it, but I was close on this one.

3.66/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Destiny's Wit from Free Will Brewing Co.