C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) - Free Will Brewing Co.

C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)

Free Will Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: Flounder57 on 11-24-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 195 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by wattoclone:
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Aroma is coffee and hints of nuts. Pours a medium brown with tan head. Taste is not exceptional, but has coffee and some roasted malt. As usual for American craft brews, it has a high ABV which detracts from the experience. A mild craft beer like this should not hit you so hard. If I wanted to get sloshed fast I would just have a malt liquor.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Great coffee aroma. The body was alot lighter than I expected but still pleasant as it didn't over power the beer.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this as a nitro and really, really enjoyed it.

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep cloudy brown with a thin beige head. Aroma is a wonderful sweet coffee essence with some caramel and maple undertones. Taste is sweet caramel maple and sweet coffee candy and a bit of mild espresso bitterness. Palate is a medium smooth and creamy body, good carbonation and slight sticky mouth feel. Taste almost like a cup of ice cold java and with the alcohol at 8.3% you don’t notice it.The finish is the same as taste. Overall a very good tasty and enjoyable brew.

4.01/5  rDev +3.9%

A very slight head, less than a fingers worth, of rich creamy light khaki colored froth... Decent retention especially considering its modest beginnings... It fades to a splotchy uneven veil of lacing and thin collar... The nose is loaded with coffee and chocolate at the forefront... The color is a slightly murky pale brown... A moderate bit of moderate carbonation rises throughout... Some light roasted malts... Dark breads and loads of crust... The nose is quite robust and fairly pleasing... The flavor profile follows closely to the nose with a hefty addition of brown sugar and some light nutty nuances... Medium bodied... Sleek, smooth and rather delectable... The addition of the oatmeal does wonders and makes this one rather velvety... Limited carbonation... Goes down exceedingly smooth... A welcome introduction to Free Will brewing... Interesting concept and one that was well executed... I will gladly enjoy this on multiple occasions going forward and I look forward to trying the rest of Fee Will's portfolio...

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Iced coffee in the winter! Great flavor and color. Aromas of coffee and chocolate. Light in body. Flavor carries through from beginning to a long aftertaste. Could drink all day if the ABV were lower.

3.72/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a translucent brown color with a khaki medium size head that recedes rather quickly.

Aromas begin heavy on the java with coffee grinds, then some toasted bready malt, toffee and some minimal cocoa powder. Not detecting much of an Oatmeal presence.

The tastes follow the nose with lots if coffee balanced by a strong molasses, cocoa and a nutty, biscuity maltiness. Sweetness is minimal.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Finish is slightly bitter but mainly subpar for any beer advertising Oatmeal; it is missing that creamy oat induced chewiness.

Overall this was a tasty beer and quite drinkable any day of the year but especially tasty late fall after a nice dinner. The only ding for me is the weak mouthfeel and semi-watery mouthfeel for much a strong beer.

I recently had this beer at The Washington House in Sellersville, PA. This beer is brewed in Perkasie, PA and the brewery itself is only about 2 miles away.

Served in a goblet-like glass

A - Beer arrived with a half-finger, mocha-colored head. It's a very deep brown, almost black color, totally opaque. Nice lacing left after drinking.

S - A nice coffee aroma

T - A huge coffee presence mixed with some chocolate-like sweetness. The beer is rather bitter but it goes down really smooth. The oatmeal isn't really noticeable. The ABV is slightly noticeable but never overpowers the beer.

M - A medium body. Medium carbonation. Leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste

O - I really enjoyed this beer. The brewery is less than 3 miles from my home and I'd gladly pick up a growler of this. I've had several of Free Will's offerings and I've been impressed with them all.

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Just had this after dinner at Coopers, Scranton. Skip the coffee and drink this. What a treat. Sweet brown ale characteristics with a long coffee finish.
I mean loooonnnggg. Very nice. Will be looking for this in bottles to compare. I'd like to see more beers like this than coffee stout after stout. This style
just leaves the charred overly roasted malt behind. Very nice Free Will...

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I know that I am supposed to be on a moratorium against buying bottles, but I really like what Free Will B.C. is doing and so my Willpower is more Free than it should be! Ah, well.

From the bottle: "Blah blah blah blah blah IMPERIAL SOUTHERN ENGLISH-STYLE BROWN ALE blah blah blah blah INTENSE blah blah blah blah blah blah DELICIOUS blah blah ... Blah blah blah COFFEE blah AND THEN SOME MORE COFFEE!!!" Hey, I only transcribe what they print.

The initials C. O. B. in the navy stand for "Chief of the Boat" aboard submarines, so for all of my bubblehead brethren, I am going to sink ti one for you!

Caps Lock is now off and so is the cap. I went with my usual heavy-handed pour, resulting in my usual pseudo-cascade, settling into the usual two fingers of dense, light-tan head with moderate retention. Blah blah blah. Color was more of a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) than a full-on Brown, but it had NE-quality clarity. Blah blah blah. Nose had an overly roasted coffee quality and although I like my coffee strong, bitter and black, like my women, I do not much dig that heavy roastiness. Blah blah blah. Mouthfeel was medium, at most. This in an Imperial version of the style?!? Blah blah blah. The taste was reminiscent of Kahlua in a boozy, coffee-infused way. Man, the first time I had Kahlua, I was a paperboy and these two cool cats had an apartment on Lancaster Avenue in the 400 block. One Friday night, when I was out doing weekly collections, one dude's hot sister in her mid-20s was visiting. She invites me in, we smoke some pot, she puts my head in her lap and begins pouring Kahlua into my mouth and then we were gettin' it on. No kidding! I was like sixteen or seventeen and it was not the first time that I had made it with somebody on that route. Pleasant memories, but I was not finding this beer to be all that pleasant. Blah blah blah. It just seemed too hot and the coffee was not making it happen either. Blah blah blah. Hey, don't get me wrong - I am all for experimentation, but sometimes, not everything works as planned. Blah blah blah.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer to be honest

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Canal St. Pub, Reading, PA.

Mahogany brown color, semi-translucent, with a small tan head that receded to a ringlet; minor lacing on the glass. Cold coffee grounds in the nose, toasted bread, caramel malts. About what I'd expect from a coffee brown ale. Taste was similar, cold pressed coffee, caramel malts, somewhat nutty, toasted oats and rye (though I'm not sure any actual rye was used in this beer), with a slight herbal bitterness in the finish. Body was medium, a bit thinner than I'd expect from an oatmeal beer, but about on par for a typical brown ale. Overall pretty decent. Good if you like coffee, good if you like brown ales.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is a cloudy, muddy copper with an orange hue and more than a finger of fizzy head. The coffee and espresso notes are clearly present in the nose as well as some robust hoppiness for a brown. The coffee flavors are rich and strong, but the body is a bit thin even for a brown. The finish is dry with a bitter finish that comes from both the hops and the roasted coffee.

My final assessment is a mixed bag. Many beers erroneously claim to have a coffee flavor; this offering is the real deal when it comes to coffee without a doubt. The problem is that the elements of a classic brown are present, but they are overwhelmed by the coffee.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Deep mahogany brown with 1 finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly. Good clarity.

Nose
Coffee grounds, medium roasted coffee, espresso...yeah, basically coffee.

Taste
Again, coffee grounds, medium roasted coffee with cream and sugar and hints of espresso. Caramelized brown sugar, hazelnut and touches of overripe black plum.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, silky and smooth.

Overall
8.3% abv is well hidden and tastes like COFFEE.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a dark blackish color with a short lived head.

Aroma is roasted malt, char, sweet vanilla, and booze.

In the taste, roasted malt, vanilla, coffee, a bit of char. Some alcohol and more nutty cocoa on the edges.

Good brew that drinks lighter than it truly is.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, no date.

appears deep dark brown with ruby highlights, thin cream colored head which fades. big aroma of coffee with cream and sugar, dominates. coffee takes the taste over too, but not roasty, definitely the base is a brown ale. medium to thin body, higher carbonation, okay feel. overall a unique take on flavor combinations.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Nice brown color, short white head, no lacing

Smell: Coffee, oatmeal, and malts

Taste: Cold brewed medium roast coffee up front, with some oatmeal and bready malts

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation

Overall: Pretty good, but not outstanding. A pretty solid coffee beer. Definitely a coffee beer but the coffee isn't overwhelming.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle from CJ's next to Towamencin Beverage & Pudges.

I've seen this pop up all around. Wegmans, North Penn Bev., etc.
CJs had single bottles--what a concept, right. So I grabbed the last one to see if I want a 6 or 12 pack. Free will Pale Stout was solid so hoping this would deliver.

Overall this is a great beer. Color is light for a brown, especially when I pour stouts 90% of the time. Some minor carbonation & slight head and lacing. After a few minutes it is flat with no head and no legs. Can now see the full brew as a redish-brown like a clay color.
Nose is excellent. All coffee. Dark & rich espresso like with a hint of sugary sweetness.
Taste is full on rich dark roast coffee. A hint of sweetness in the middle and then a dark and full coffee finish. Oatmeal? Maybe in the process but no flavor from it detected. Actually kind of light mouthfeel. When cold it was real creamy but thins out after warming.
Overall, try it. If you like coffee and beer then you're all set. The ABV for me was not detectable. If this was bourbon barrel aged I'd be buying growlers every few days (hint). I see they have a Choco nib & vanilla version. I may need to hunt that down to fill in between my BCBS coffee. Win/win!

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%

To be fair, I'm not a huge coffee fan and the look score was tough as it's in a dark bottle. Overall, a good blend of coffee and ale

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Came to me in a tulip, very dark brown in color a mocha head sat on top and was pretty tall.
Aroma has a lot of coffee grounds in it. Some toasted malts and sweetness too.
Drinks like the nose with a big coffee taste. But as it warms the coffee mellows and some roasted malts maybe even a bit of toffee come through. Hints of cocoa mingles in the taste too.
Drinks a heavy medium on the palate, smooth but alittle washed out.
A very good beer.

2.17/5  rDev -43.8%

Pour is a clear caramel brown with a small amount of tan head. Nose is slightly overly roasted coffee, roasted malts, faint sticky caramel, a bit thin. Taste is the same, it has a bit of a cola flavored coffee, overly roasted malt, a touch acrid, moderate bitterness, overly carbonated and stings the throat.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

This was a very interesting brew. It blends three things together that I have never tried together. It was dark brown to the pour with very little head to it. The aroma was obviously coffee. The taste was also very much of a coffee bean or espresso bean flavor. The oatmeal comes through in the taste also making it very smooth to the finish. To me it almost taste like an carbonated iced coffee. This is a great brew for coffee lovers and beer lovers alike. The aftertaste is a little bit on the bitter side, but so is strong brewed coffee. I like this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Funcks in Palmyra, PA, part of a 4.5oz flight.

Deep copper coplor with thin white head. Nice strong coffee aroma, which translated well to the taste. A smooth taste and finish, none of the sour bitterness you sometimes get with brown ales. The high abv is well hidden.

Enjoyed this one, would certainly have it again.

4.76/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just to get bias out of the way quickly, this is my favourite beer. That being said, the flavour it unique. Oatmeal stouts, I feel, are soothing (for lack of a better term). Nonetheless, the coffee itself is noticeable and to those of you who are fans of coffee and a nice beer, this is certainly I suggest trying. It's brownish in its colour and its taste is superb.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells of coffee, chocolate, and brown sugar. Taste however is syrupy and too sweet. Not a bad coffee presence

to view more.
C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) from Free Will Brewing Co.