C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) - Free Will Brewing Company

C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)

Free Will Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Flounder57 on 11-24-2012)
djrn2

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

06-18-2014 19:58:06 | More by WVbeergeek
Slatetank

3.66/5  rDev -3.7%

I had this on tap at Brass Rail Deli, served chilled in a pint.

The color is a murky brown with light off white cap with ringlets of lace sticking and ultra fine bead not the best appearance, but better than average. The smell is a mix of sweet malt with fresh coffee odor with nutty light bean-like roasted nose and light herbal hop scent. The feel has a creamy, worty texture with sweet roasted grainy aspect and semi-dry finish with a slight coffee acidity mid palate.

The taste is good and pretty much follows the aroma with full malty toasted oatmeal aspect with a light coffee element and moderate hop influence with an herbal flavor. The coffee tastes good, but midway it starts to bring a vegetal element and there is light alcohol with nutty dry taste in the finish. Overall a pretty good brown, not great -if you take away the oats and coffee it is pretty ordinary and the coffee doesn't really improve it enough to warrant a second taste to me. I like the concept but it could use some refinement as it seems like an under attenuated strong ale. The sweetness level is ok and the coffee is more earthy than I prefer considering the style + Abv but it is good drinkability wise

09-26-2013 14:00:47 | More by Slatetank
Rifugium

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%

On tap at Canal St. Pub, Reading, PA.

Mahogany brown color, semi-translucent, with a small tan head that receded to a ringlet; minor lacing on the glass. Cold coffee grounds in the nose, toasted bread, caramel malts. About what I'd expect from a coffee brown ale. Taste was similar, cold pressed coffee, caramel malts, somewhat nutty, toasted oats and rye (though I'm not sure any actual rye was used in this beer), with a slight herbal bitterness in the finish. Body was medium, a bit thinner than I'd expect from an oatmeal beer, but about on par for a typical brown ale. Overall pretty decent. Good if you like coffee, good if you like brown ales.

05-14-2014 13:13:16 | More by Rifugium
mendvicdog

10-10-2013 16:32:27 | More by mendvicdog
InspectorBob

08-02-2014 12:40:52 | More by InspectorBob
woodychandler

3.44/5  rDev -9.5%

I know that I am supposed to be on a moratorium against buying bottles, but I really like what Free Will B.C. is doing and so my Willpower is more Free than it should be! Ah, well.

From the bottle: "Blah blah blah blah blah IMPERIAL SOUTHERN ENGLISH-STYLE BROWN ALE blah blah blah blah INTENSE blah blah blah blah blah blah DELICIOUS blah blah ... Blah blah blah COFFEE blah AND THEN SOME MORE COFFEE!!!" Hey, I only transcribe what they print.

The initials C. O. B. in the navy stand for "Chief of the Boat" aboard submarines, so for all of my bubblehead brethren, I am going to sink ti one for you!

Caps Lock is now off and so is the cap. I went with my usual heavy-handed pour, resulting in my usual pseudo-cascade, settling into the usual two fingers of dense, light-tan head with moderate retention. Blah blah blah. Color was more of a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) than a full-on Brown, but it had NE-quality clarity. Blah blah blah. Nose had an overly roasted coffee quality and although I like my coffee strong, bitter and black, like my women, I do not much dig that heavy roastiness. Blah blah blah. Mouthfeel was medium, at most. This in an Imperial version of the style?!? Blah blah blah. The taste was reminiscent of Kahlua in a boozy, coffee-infused way. Man, the first time I had Kahlua, I was a paperboy and these two cool cats had an apartment on Lancaster Avenue in the 400 block. One Friday night, when I was out doing weekly collections, one dude's hot sister in her mid-20s was visiting. She invites me in, we smoke some pot, she puts my head in her lap and begins pouring Kahlua into my mouth and then we were gettin' it on. No kidding! I was like sixteen or seventeen and it was not the first time that I had made it with somebody on that route. Pleasant memories, but I was not finding this beer to be all that pleasant. Blah blah blah. It just seemed too hot and the coffee was not making it happen either. Blah blah blah. Hey, don't get me wrong - I am all for experimentation, but sometimes, not everything works as planned. Blah blah blah.

08-08-2014 13:56:27 | More by woodychandler

ShanePB

08-11-2014 18:21:19 | More by ShanePB
claspada

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a translucent brown color with a khaki medium size head that recedes rather quickly.

Aromas begin heavy on the java with coffee grinds, then some toasted bready malt, toffee and some minimal cocoa powder. Not detecting much of an Oatmeal presence.

The tastes follow the nose with lots if coffee balanced by a strong molasses, cocoa and a nutty, biscuity maltiness. Sweetness is minimal.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Finish is slightly bitter but mainly subpar for any beer advertising Oatmeal; it is missing that creamy oat induced chewiness.

Overall this was a tasty beer and quite drinkable any day of the year but especially tasty late fall after a nice dinner. The only ding for me is the weak mouthfeel and semi-watery mouthfeel for much a strong beer.

11-28-2012 14:54:03 | More by claspada

12-27-2013 18:51:11 | More by ShemRahBoo
jmdrpi

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz bottle, no date.

appears deep dark brown with ruby highlights, thin cream colored head which fades. big aroma of coffee with cream and sugar, dominates. coffee takes the taste over too, but not roasty, definitely the base is a brown ale. medium to thin body, higher carbonation, okay feel. overall a unique take on flavor combinations.

01-05-2014 05:13:54 | More by jmdrpi