C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) - Free Will Brewing Company

C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)

Free Will Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  8.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Flounder57 on 11-24-2012)
4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Aroma is coffee and hints of nuts. Pours a medium brown with tan head. Taste is not exceptional, but has coffee and some roasted malt. As usual for American craft brews, it has a high ABV which detracts from the experience. A mild craft beer like this should not hit you so hard. If I wanted to get sloshed fast I would just have a malt liquor.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at Funcks in Palmyra, PA, part of a 4.5oz flight.

Deep copper coplor with thin white head. Nice strong coffee aroma, which translated well to the taste. A smooth taste and finish, none of the sour bitterness you sometimes get with brown ales. The high abv is well hidden.

Enjoyed this one, would certainly have it again.

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I know that I am supposed to be on a moratorium against buying bottles, but I really like what Free Will B.C. is doing and so my Willpower is more Free than it should be! Ah, well.

From the bottle: "Blah blah blah blah blah IMPERIAL SOUTHERN ENGLISH-STYLE BROWN ALE blah blah blah blah INTENSE blah blah blah blah blah blah DELICIOUS blah blah ... Blah blah blah COFFEE blah AND THEN SOME MORE COFFEE!!!" Hey, I only transcribe what they print.

The initials C. O. B. in the navy stand for "Chief of the Boat" aboard submarines, so for all of my bubblehead brethren, I am going to sink ti one for you!

Caps Lock is now off and so is the cap. I went with my usual heavy-handed pour, resulting in my usual pseudo-cascade, settling into the usual two fingers of dense, light-tan head with moderate retention. Blah blah blah. Color was more of a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) than a full-on Brown, but it had NE-quality clarity. Blah blah blah. Nose had an overly roasted coffee quality and although I like my coffee strong, bitter and black, like my women, I do not much dig that heavy roastiness. Blah blah blah. Mouthfeel was medium, at most. This in an Imperial version of the style?!? Blah blah blah. The taste was reminiscent of Kahlua in a boozy, coffee-infused way. Man, the first time I had Kahlua, I was a paperboy and these two cool cats had an apartment on Lancaster Avenue in the 400 block. One Friday night, when I was out doing weekly collections, one dude's hot sister in her mid-20s was visiting. She invites me in, we smoke some pot, she puts my head in her lap and begins pouring Kahlua into my mouth and then we were gettin' it on. No kidding! I was like sixteen or seventeen and it was not the first time that I had made it with somebody on that route. Pleasant memories, but I was not finding this beer to be all that pleasant. Blah blah blah. It just seemed too hot and the coffee was not making it happen either. Blah blah blah. Hey, don't get me wrong - I am all for experimentation, but sometimes, not everything works as planned. Blah blah blah.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%