Techno IPA - Free Will Brewing Co.

Techno IPATechno IPA

Free Will Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: vicsju1991 on 05-18-2013

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased as part of a mixed sixpack at Liquor Outlet Wine Cellars in Boonton New Jersey on my recent trip to the deep south.

No evident bottling date info.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Lawson's tulip.

a: Clear amber with an inch tall white head which receded slowly to even surface foam and moderate lacing.

s: Pine with slight apple notes.

t; Moderate pine and fruit hop bite over a medium malt base. No lingering bitterness to speak of. Dry finish.

m; Medium, good body.

o; An above average and quite tasty and satisfying IPA which remained pleasant and enjoyable if not overly distinguished throughout.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a good example of why you shouldn't write off a brewery. Had several rather sub-par offerings from this brewery in the past, but this doesn't follow suit.

Nice easy drinker with a mellow hopped profile. Mild, yet pronounced enough to keep it interesting. The feel does seem a bit thin. But overall, this is a nice drinker. Something to relax with and not have to think about.

4.75/5  rDev +26%

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From The Fridge to my fridge and then into my glass, I am slowly emptying out my backlog of beer so that I CAN CANcentrate on The CANQuest (TM).

I have been chastised by my Old Lady for being heavy-handed on my pours, but unless the label directs me to pour gently, I like the visual aspect of the pseudo-cascade and the creation of head. In this case, the resulting finger of head was dense and tawny with moderate retention. Color was a deep-amber, approaching gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice. Ahhh! I am a big fan of AIPAs and this got my motor running. I watched the head create some nice, sticky lacing as it fell and decided that this was the time for my first draught. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was straight-on, straight-up citrus hops. I know that some (many?) complain that beers in the style can be unbalanced and while I do not disagree, I do not disdain them, either. I do not like when they seem to be saturated with hops and such was not the case here. It was intensely hoppy, yes, and there did not seem to be much in the way of discernible malt sweetness, but it was still drinkable. Finish was dry, but not in an unpleasant way, as I have noted in those AIPAs that seem to be saturated with hops. That said, it was not terribly different from so many other AIPAs that I have tried and/or reviewed. I am happy to support a PA brewer, but it is not worth trading or searching for, sorry.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Techno IPA from Free Will Brewing Co.