Techno IPA - Free Will Brewing Co.

Techno IPATechno IPA

Free Will Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: vicsju1991 on 05-18-2013

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a good example of why you shouldn't write off a brewery. Had several rather sub-par offerings from this brewery in the past, but this doesn't follow suit.

Nice easy drinker with a mellow hopped profile. Mild, yet pronounced enough to keep it interesting. The feel does seem a bit thin. But overall, this is a nice drinker. Something to relax with and not have to think about.

4.75/5  rDev +26%

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From The Fridge to my fridge and then into my glass, I am slowly emptying out my backlog of beer so that I CAN CANcentrate on The CANQuest (TM).

I have been chastised by my Old Lady for being heavy-handed on my pours, but unless the label directs me to pour gently, I like the visual aspect of the pseudo-cascade and the creation of head. In this case, the resulting finger of head was dense and tawny with moderate retention. Color was a deep-amber, approaching gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice. Ahhh! I am a big fan of AIPAs and this got my motor running. I watched the head create some nice, sticky lacing as it fell and decided that this was the time for my first draught. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was straight-on, straight-up citrus hops. I know that some (many?) complain that beers in the style can be unbalanced and while I do not disagree, I do not disdain them, either. I do not like when they seem to be saturated with hops and such was not the case here. It was intensely hoppy, yes, and there did not seem to be much in the way of discernible malt sweetness, but it was still drinkable. Finish was dry, but not in an unpleasant way, as I have noted in those AIPAs that seem to be saturated with hops. That said, it was not terribly different from so many other AIPAs that I have tried and/or reviewed. I am happy to support a PA brewer, but it is not worth trading or searching for, sorry.

2.44/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a clear golden color with just about no head. Appears limp and lifeless with very fine bubbles but lacing is just not possible. The aroma is bright and hoppy, with some citrus and semi tropical notes. The taste is very tropical, some mango, papaya and pith, and light malts. The body is very lightly carbonated and damn near flat. Awful. She's gone ladies and gentlemen. Different than the positive reviews, this is on draft. People swear by this, but it's kind of like drinking McDonalds Sweet Tea with added tropical fruit flavor ontap with a watery texture. Try a bottle based on the recent reviews.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Hop haze and muddled orange color. Head has good retention.

Mango, tangerine, grassy hop leaf, spearmint, and leftover dankness. Malts are pale and tempered. Some light perfume notes. Still dry.

Follows the nose, but pared down. Hop bitterness is lower than usual. Hop flavors composed of tangerine, grapefruit, hop leaf, and tropical notes. Malts are somewhat robust for the style. A little bit of toast.

Carbonation level is low. It allows a lot of liquid to roll around on the tongue. Not an exciting IPA feel.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Techno IPA from Free Will Brewing Co.