Big Star White IPA - Four String Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Belgian IPA |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: zimm421 on 08-24-2012

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm pretty sure this Four String product I've tried, and I'm glad it won't be my last. This is Raging Bitch after therapy. She's now we'll behaved and quite pleasant.

It looks typical. Yellow, fizzy and cloudy. The aroma is a treat. It smells all hoppy, yeasty and malty all at the same time, and beautifully balanced. A pleasure to hold under your nose.

The taste is of mellow ipa and mellow Belgian. Balanced. It's this a case where the American version is more balanced? Who cares, it's really good.

The aftertaste is more what you expect from a Belgian American, yeasty. Overall, I wish I had more of this. I will certainly look for it.

Upon further examination it seems this is the second Four String I've reviewed. The third week come soon.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

There is a sickly sweetness to this beer that is unbecoming of an IPA. It took me two months to finish a six pack ...I get that it's a Belgian.......but........just not what I look for in an IPA

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned 7/31/14, poured into a pint glass
A: Light orange with a solid 1+ finger head
S: Grapefruit, wheat, coriander
T: Matches the nose. This has more wheat/Belgian influence than hops, though I do get a bit of pine
M: Light to medium-bodied, a bit spicy
O: I like the combination of IPA styles, though it could use a touch more complexity

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured out of a 12oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden with about a 1/2'' head that lasted about a minute until it faded to a very thin layer over the beer. Lacing is pretty decent.

Smell: Very much like a wheat/hefeweizen. Very banana breadish with some floral notes. This is a Belgian IPA.

Taste: Very mild. Not much bitterness. Again the wheat/hefeweizen is there but with a more hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth.

Overall: Though not what I expected--my first Belgian IPA--, I enjoyed this beer. I would certainly not have a problem drinking this again.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a crystal-clear light pale amber. 1/4" Bright white head fades to a white rim with a thin crust across the top of the glass. Visible small effervescence, and gobs of lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Powerful grapefruit and resinous hops. Nice aroma. LEss malt in the background than even Fat Head's Headhunter.

Taste: Nice. This is a balanced IPA I can live with. Sweet, fruity arrival. Light maltiness with an earthy/yeasty taste across mid-palate, then a clean, hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Overall light sensation on the tongue. Slight, slight slickness.

Overall: This smells like an IPA but drinks like a wheat ale. Very much along the lines of a Bell's Oberon, but hoppier. Would definitely buy this again.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. can
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is golden colored with a slight haze. It is topped with a couple inches of white head.

S - I get some spiced pear with citrus notes.

T - The pear comes through in the taste first. Then I get some citrus. Then finish is bitter but not too bitter.

M - A bit thin.

O - I have had this beer on tap a couple times. I was happy to see it canned. It is an interesting beer. It reminds me of a hoppy Belgian pale ale. The canned version is not what I remembered the draft tasting like. It's definitely worth a try, and it's great to see another Ohio brewery canning.

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, I believe this was just canned a week or so ago. Served in a DFH IPA glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like wheat, citrusy hops (grapefruit, lemon peel), and some clove. I think the taste is just like the aroma, but there's also some tropical fruit and a bit of mango noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. It's also refreshing and easy to drink. I liked this brew, it's a good wheaty/citrusy IPA. A good summer beer! $8.99 a sixer.

3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

Got on tap. Poured into a pint glass with a thin head that did not last long. Nice lacy rings left behind with each sip. Nice yellow color sort of like a cloudy pilsner.
Not much smell to this one. Maybe a slight hop.
Very hoppy from start to finish. Hops lovers will love this but just a bit too hoppy for me.
Very light carbonation that gets slightly stronger on the finish.
Overall a good representation of an IPA but maybe a bit too hoppy for me.

3.81/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the growler into a tulip. Has a great white head, leaves nice lacing. Appears a nice light orange, to yellow, color.

Nose is great. Tons of citrus and tropical fruits, lots of complexities. There's also a good sweetness to it as well. Each sip starts out sweet, with the citrus following up quickly, and the bitterness following up. Everything just works together very well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with good carbonation levels. No stickiness left over, and it goes down very well. Overall this is very enjoyable. On a warm night, this is perfect. Can't wait to grab some more.

Big Star White IPA from Four String Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.