Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros

Cinthia, Jul 13, 2014
4.72/5  rDev +71%

I am not sure that I am reviewing the same beer as some of the other reviewers, but here goes...

Visual: Light, clear gold; creamy head that diminishes rather quickly.
Aroma: Nice spicy hop aroma at first, strength fades somewhat quickly, but nice spicy aroma persists. Not the typical pils/light-lager aroma.
Flavor: Initial bitterness with some hops flavor, becomes less bitter in middle, then more in finish, which remains in aftertaste. This beer is exceptionally clean.
Mouthfeel: Carbonation seems appropriate for a pils – a bit of a bite to it, but it doesn't dominate. Not as strong as Birra Moretti, e.g.
Overall: A great balance of hops (aroma, flavor, and bitterness) against maltiness and carbonation. At present this is my favorite pils/light-lager; I would place it in the German Pils category.

utahbeerdude, May 17, 2006

markallmon, Apr 06, 2012

squezey, Mar 23, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +63%

Keep in mind the taste score of 5 is due to its category and its price, if it was anything else it would soundally fail.

Drinking this straight from the source, or pretty close to it. I do have to say I think it is real funny that most chinese poar your beer into either a wiskey/Old Fashond glass or a High-ball glass. THere is no head, nor any much of anything. But the taste is 40 times better than Budwiser and it has never mad me sick, unlike budwiser. And although I paid a full 90 cents USD for my pint, I have to say it was worth it. This beer is the best Chinese beer that I have incountered; I will post if there is any better local beer. For the price and whithin the catagory, TsingTao (Qing Dao) is the best beer you can get, and I would recan In the US it still beats most American shit y lagers.

Eisen, Jun 20, 2010

p-wagz, Apr 05, 2014

Antonius08, Jan 29, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +62.3%

Illwaukeesuby, Aug 29, 2014
4.44/5  rDev +60.9%

sfswear, Sep 09, 2014
4.39/5  rDev +59.1%

delicious, easy-to-drink lager that is not arrogant, pretentious, or hangover-on-the-first-sip inducing. This is China's top beer, and realistically, the only good beer coming out of China today. Multiple flavors = red label, green label, more. Tastes better on draft in mainland - the bottles travel ok to America.

reddragon13, Mar 21, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +58.7%

I got this with a variety pack from World Market. I was surprised by this because I did not have high hopes for it having experienced other chinese beers. But i must say this was very good. Poured a nice golden yellow color with really nice bread like smell. This was a very nice and crisp beer that was very refreshing. I would love to get this all the time. Great to eat with asian food!

If you are comparing this like you should to other Macro lagers, this is by far one of the best.

likethetaste, Dec 16, 2008

Apotheosis, Jan 31, 2014

SylarHRG, Aug 24, 2014

rickfos, May 23, 2013

miggy2tone, Aug 04, 2012

Fargrow, May 12, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +52.2%

Served cold into a room temperature glass at a Chinese buffet restaurant.

Appearance: Golden color, crystal clear, with fluffy white head that dissipates quickly without any lacing.

Nose: Refreshingly hoppy with grassy barley hint.

Taste: Crisp, the slightest maltiness, sweet.

Feel: Light body, solid bittering, clean aftertaste.

Overall: My favorite pilsner. Distinctly crisp, clean, fresh and hoppy, with none of the soapy flavor or yeasty smell of macro lagers. It's a great lunch-time beer. It beats anything else in the category than I can think of, and the bad reviews of this enjoyable beer simply don't make any sense.

BattleRoadBrewer, Jan 29, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +51.4%

This is a good, tasty lager, clean flavourful and with some character.

Golden, slightly on the darkish side, it has a large white head shrinking slowly to a small, lasting ring and it leaves a hint of lace.

The aroma is overall standard for the type but stronger and more characterful than most. It has malty grain with flowery herbal hops.

The taste is grain with a hint of bread and apple, slightly sweet, with definite herbal hoppy bitterness, plus a fairly long, nice aftertaste. It's very clean and has a rather full, warm body.

This is far more tasty and interesting than Tsingtao Pure Draft, so do not get these confused.

Offa, Oct 28, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +48.6%

nice clear light golden color with a large white head that held to a quarter inch then to a ring on the glass with some lacing. light aromas of malt and yeast. taste of sweet malt and yeast with a grainy slight hop finish. medium body, crisp, lots of carbonation, slightly different from the run of the mill macro lager pretty enjoyable beer. good for summer fare.

billybob, Jun 16, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +47.8%

Tsingtao beer pours a bright clear golden amber from a dark green glass bottle with a pry off cap. Head went to over two fingers before settling down to a full ring of foam with small islands. Streamers of carbonation are welling up from the bottom of my 16oz beer glass for a picture perfect pour.

Nose is of grain and just a touch of husk with some yeasty sulfur. Palate is a crisp, refreshing and distinctly German lager, with toasted barley malts that are well bittered and done to perfection.

Tsingtao can take its place among the worlds best German beers in this class. Tsingtao beer is a great German beer that just happens to have been brewed in China

BeerBob, Nov 16, 2005

alesaram, Oct 16, 2012

This is my first post here on beer advocate, so I apologize if I screw it up.

I will start by saying that overall, I'm not really a big fan of the "Skunky" smell and flavor that you typically get from beers in green bottles. That said, I'm living in China, so if I wan't a bottled beer, green it usually is!

Anyway, my friend recently posted a story about of her tour of the Tsingtao brewery over on her website (www.tongatime.com), and reading it reminded me of the flat out excellent flavor of this stuff when served on tap when I was in Qingdao. I don't entirely undertand all the details of this, but when you drink it on tap in Qingdao, it seems to come two different ways. The more common is the typical pilsner-lager stuff like you buy in stores, but better than the bottles in my opinion due to the distinctly missing skunk smell. If you buy the stuff in cans, it basically tastes the same to me. Not bad, but really not much going on here. Sort of like a Budweiser, if you ask me. The other way I had it on tap in a few places in Quingdao however, was some sort of unfiltered version, and oh boy, that was a pleasant surprise!!

While I anticipated (gladly) the aforementioned "lack of skunk" what I wasn't expecting was the really really nice floral hoppiness it had. It caught me off guard in such a nice way. Crisp and cold and filled my sinuses with all sorts of nice aroma. Closest thing I could compare it's taste to would probably be a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Appearance-wise, it is an attractive pale golden-yellow, mildly cloudy beer. If feels nice and smooth going down, and I found it quite easy to drink a large quantity rather quickly!

After leaving Qingdao (I live in a different Chinese city), I thought "Hot Damn, I'm gonna find this stuff in a can and be a happy Laowai!!" Sadly, this quest has thus far been unfruitful. I've found numerous different Tsingtao varieties in cans and bottles on the shelves in local stores here, but none of them that I've sampled so far have the awesome hoppiness of that cold draft stuff available near the brewery.

Amongst the ones I've tried have been the standard green label stuff, one in a white/silver can labeled "Pure Draft", a gold colored can (can't remember the name on it at the moment), and also a green bottle one labeled "Augenter" (can't find that one in a can anywhere). So far, no heavenly hoppiness!!!

If anyone knows where to get this unfiltered nectar in a can, please let me know!!! Until then, I'll have to wait until I make it over to Qingdao again and get some on tap!

catalinacapri, Apr 05, 2014

crownrl28, Oct 14, 2012

DrunkinDonutz, Oct 04, 2012

gratefuld, Dec 10, 2011
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.