2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,100 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
Brent

Kentucky

I dunno - are we drinking the same beer? I thought this might pass for lightly beer-flavored soda water.

07-11-2001 18:44:25 | More by Brent
BeerNutta

Australia

Tsingtao

Had this while in China at a restaurant.

A = Poured a pale straw colour. Really pale. Almost looks like tainted water.

S = Faint smell of light grains. Pretty much non existant.

T = Tasted like it looked. Sweetly tainted water with a hint of bitterness. Terrible.

M = Very low carbonation to add to its tainted water look. Bleh.

D = If you can't tell by now, I hated this beer big time. Only thing it has going for it in China is the fact that it is always availiable and damn damn cheap. Avoid it folks.

08-04-2006 03:10:19 | More by BeerNutta
Rifugium

First had: bottle in a gift set

Yeah, it's from China. But it's not much different from any other adjunct lager. Pours a pale, watery, golden-straw color with a puff of white head that fizzles down to nearly nothing. Aroma of weak grains and a passing touch of hops, with the classic green bottle skunk. Taste of watered-down grains and corn, funk and skunk, harsh and metallic. Light and watery mouthfeel, and definitely to be avoided at all costs.

07-12-2011 21:51:39 | More by Rifugium
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.05/5  rDev -62%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The smell is that typical pungent macro adjunct odor, only to a higher degree. There's very little aroma of malt or hops present that I could detect.

T: The taste is sweet with flavors of corn, rice, a little malt and a faint touch of hops. The after-taste is a combination of sweetness, breadiness and a weird, non-hops bitterness.

M: Not very smooth with just a little crispness, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, dry finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all and had a hard time finishing it. It's slightly filling for the style. My father-in-law loves this stuff, but I can't understand why.

03-17-2007 02:26:44 | More by TheManiacalOne
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

1.1/5  rDev -60.1%

i agree with michael kennedy, extremely dirty unclean flavour and a dirty sock sweetness, quite horrible, i wouldn't even drink it when eating Chinese food, repulsive.

05-28-2002 19:47:11 | More by rastaman
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt and hops with bad case of skunk in the back. Taste is pretty inoffensive apart from the bad case of skunkyness. You have to wondered why they import all those crappy lager into North Amercia…

07-18-2005 13:19:04 | More by Phyl21ca
lakersfan16

Alaska

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a very small white head. Aroma is very grainy with a very faint hoppy character. The body is extremely light and hardly any hops or malts are noticeable. Very skunky and watery. To be quite honest, one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried. This was a drain pour after the first couple of sips, I just could not bring myself to suffer any longer.

06-30-2011 16:23:01 | More by lakersfan16
becktone

1.23/5  rDev -55.4%

...And yet another green bottled American Macro Lager from Red China that will be being poured into my glass.

This beer is a pale fizzy yellow beer that pours looking better than most Macro Lagers, I'll give it to them on this one. Hey, there is a head, a very small one, less than an inch but there is a collection of foam on top of the extremely fizzy beer. The beer is very restless, there are many, many carbonation bubbles floating to the surface in this beer. This beer like other macros is highly carbonated. For what it is it seems to be better than most. Granted it doesn't look that good, but fot the style I'll say that it is one of the better looking beers.

Aroma, no hops, or malt presence. There is however a presence of rice or corn, but definitely not the sweet smell of malted barley. Not much more than that.

To the tongue-Pretty much no taste at all. There is an inital swetness that quickly vanishes almost before it can be identified. Pretty much tastes like cold water.

Not only does it taste like water but the mouthfeel is similar to that of tonic water going flat.The feel of this beer on the palate is very bland, It goes down way too easy and is probably one of the worst beers that I've ever had. I will never buy this beer again, and I will encourage others around me not to buy this beer, it is not even worth a penny let alone what Asian restaurants charge for it. This is by far one of the worst macros I have ever had.

07-20-2006 17:29:28 | More by becktone
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.27/5  rDev -54%

355ml green bottle poured in a dimpled mug.

Clear, pale gold in colour. Head is foamy, white and 1/4 inch at the pour, but quickly disappears. Basically no head at all after a couple minutes. Lots of carbonation streams.

Aroma is a little muddled. Grassy, skunky, grainy. No one stands out, just all three mingling together. A little sweetness in the background.

Taste is terrible. Dominated by a formaldehyde (or other chemical) flavour there are hints of grassy hops, skunk hops and floral hops. Acidic bite in the finish. Reminds me of walking into the bathroom in my parents house in the 80's after my sister was in there doing her hair... the taste that hits you when you walk into a cloud of hairspray. I don't think any beer should ever taste like hairspray.

Overly carbonated with a harsh, caustic mouthfeel. Light bodied like water with hairspray.

Worst tasting beer I've had in some time. I was mildly optimistic after the pour. Looks nice in my mug, but holy dinah, does it taste terrible. Drain pour. Avoid.

12-06-2005 02:36:18 | More by Noxious26
bluHatter

1.3/5  rDev -52.9%

I bought this beer to have with some chinese takeout. The takeout was great, but the beer didn't leave me wanting more.

A: clear, light bronze. Poured with a small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.

S: Cardboard, damp citrusy-sugar

T: Pale malty citrus with a skunky finish. It tastes a lot like it smells, but not as easy to escape from. It is a beer that had me swallowing quickly rather than savoring it in my mouth.

M: Watery, little to no carbonation.

O: Unfortunately, I didn't like this beer at all, even paired with chinese food, which I was hoping would go good with it. I'm looking at the full glass I have left and wondering if I'll be able to finish it.

09-05-2011 23:17:28 | More by bluHatter
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

1.33/5  rDev -51.8%

I've told my mum not to bring me any beers, because she always picks the worst. Then this week she brought me 3 bottles of beers, thinking she was making a great gift, one of them was Tsingtao, "well thanx ma!"

When I openned the bottle, I've looked around looking to find a skunk, because the skunky smell was quite present, actually the skunk was probably one foot away from me. Then I realized, it was the beer, skunkyness with bread and cereal smells.

her look is quite shy, pale, yellownish, actually it reminds me of an albino, that beer has no life, either it died out from Shangai FOB to Montreal, because the head never appeared and I see some bubbles once in a while.

Taste is a tiny bit floral, cerealic with a shy, but very shy hoppy finish.

can I say my mom forced me to drink it? Ok I took it as a duty to review it, not the worst I had but in my top 10 of the worst unfotunately.

12-13-2005 02:50:32 | More by 3Vandoo
Pdu8s

1.35/5  rDev -51.1%

A- It is as though this beer was designed for someone that thought Coors light was too dark. It is almost transparent, and the green bottle can cause skunking to occur.

S- Smell is not really there, you can definitely smell the alcohol. fruity, light

T- begins with an almost lemon-grass taste, ends with a grainy, bready yeasty taste. Alcohol tastes very much present in back of mouth throughout drinking

M- Water like consistency, doesn't feel like beer at all (which I guess can be a good thing, if you are new to beer...)

O- I had high expectations for this beer, as I had a professor of Chinese studies highly recommend it. Apparently, she has never had any other kind of beer. The only good thing about this beer is that it is not more readily available in the United States.

02-01-2012 06:04:01 | More by Pdu8s
Dogbrick

1.4/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This should be called "China-ken". Very
similar flavor to Heineken, but more skunky. Slightly nutty and hoppy but you will never know because the skunk-ass green bottles will kill it for you 75% of the time.

07-09-2002 14:48:56 | More by Dogbrick
ForWhatAlesYou

1.45/5  rDev -47.5%

Green bottle into a small nonic.

A: Ultra clear but nearly colorless. Not much of a fizzy white head.

S: Skunked. Horrid.

T: Skunkiness abounds but there is a slight sweet malt in there somehwere.

M: Thin and carbonated (like any American adjunct style crap).

D:Would like to review this one fresh but since I have no plans to visit China anytime soon, this will have to suffice. Is it fair to review an obviously skunked beer? YES. The Tsingtao company needs to get its act together and drop the green glass act that seems to fool only stupid yuppies in America trying to impress people with their imported swill.

07-13-2011 21:13:21 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
dedalus

Kansas

1.48/5  rDev -46.4%

unremarkable in appearance. pale gold, a bit of bright white foam. can't tell you about the lacing because i wasn't able to choke enough down to check that out.

the nose? pure bottled skunk posterior, emboldened by hops. this was the skunkiest beer i have ever had the misfortune of wasting my money on. beautiful green bottle, though. cripes.

the flavors, well, you know where this is going. i got two sips down before my gag reflex warned me that a third sip was highly inadvisable. weakly-hopped skunkbum. get it straight out of the case or not at all; there's too much chance of light working its horrible skunky magic on it. if i manage to find a non-skunked bottle, i'll edit this review.

damn. anyone have some novacaine?

s.d.

10-25-2003 00:36:18 | More by dedalus
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

1.48/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, straw colored with a short white head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing, clear

S: grass, mineral water

T: mineral water, slightly sweet, corn

M: thin

O: not very good, refreshing at least

10-11-2012 00:42:11 | More by M_C_Hampton
AtLagerHeads

1.53/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Mid-yellow, vanishing white head, and no lace. The smell was strictly skunky and of rotten veggies. The taste was horrid, being very metallic and of a flat-natured lager mix. The feel is watery and acidic. Ugh. Why would anybody import this? Oh, yeh, for BAs to review.

09-13-2003 15:20:20 | More by AtLagerHeads
laituegonflable

Australia

1.55/5  rDev -43.8%

Dull, flat-looking beer with a bright champagne hue but very little head. No carbonation, very little lacing. Looks like there's not much of anything in this beer.

That lack-of-anything character continues on the nose. There is a faint hint of sticky yeast. But I don't like sticky yeast, least of all on the nose. Boring and unpleasant.

Taste saves this beer from utter desolation. There is a slight hint of hops on the mid palate, but by "mid" I'm talking in terms of timing, from the first sip to the afterglow of the back palate, not in terms of the actual progression of taste from the first sip to the afterglow of the back palate, since there is actually no real taste. The hops though tell me that I am definitely drinking beer. Apart from that there's a slight cloying character to the mouthfeel which is very unpleasant. Overall, very very little character or anything to this beer. It's bland and pretty unappealing.

03-18-2008 12:34:56 | More by laituegonflable
jujubeast6000

1.55/5  rDev -43.8%

Reviewed 12/1/2005 (12oz bottle from 24 variety pack):

Pours a body that is a pale golden color, looks like domestic fizzy, with a white head, quickly diminishing. Has a sweet aroma. Has a sweet flavor, and the mouthfeel is very fizzy and lively. Very bland flavor.

11-11-2008 23:58:45 | More by jujubeast6000
TastyTaste

1.58/5  rDev -42.8%

Clear gold body, small fizzy white head. Smells of skunked grass malts, and not much else. Taste is thin and weak, only a couple hints of grassy malt breaks through the watered down flavor. What's the point of this beer? Get american macros that are better for less.

12-29-2004 22:36:38 | More by TastyTaste
xzqrut

1.63/5  rDev -40.9%

Beer poured out fine for a macro lager, mild carbonation, mild head, a deeper golden color than many lagers. Smell as others have said, bad. After I poured the beer I could smell it from about two feet away, and it didn't smell good. After a few drinks, I could not even smell the beer with my nose in the glass. Taste was flat, and a bit skunky for me. Mouthfeel very light, very flat, seemingly no carbonation. All in all, a pretty bad experience. Almost as if the beer was on its last breath, and just flat out died 2 seconds after entering the glass.

05-28-2007 21:14:58 | More by xzqrut
hardy008

1.63/5  rDev -40.9%

Straw color with a large whit head with poor retention. Faint smell of grain and grass tells me the flavor will not be very bold. Not much taste. Bland with some light sweet malt. The hop flavor is pretty weak at best. Overall a pretty weak effort, not recommended.

02-27-2010 21:21:50 | More by hardy008
feloniousmonk

1.65/5  rDev -40.2%

640ml (pint plus 5.6 oz) green bottle. I'm going all the way.

The cap is off and the skunk creeps out. Stale cereal fills the air. I mean pervades the atmosphere, and it really smells like a skunk, no foolin'!

Clear, pale yellowish appearance, no head, very carbonated, but no head.

Aroma is nothing except the ill skunkiness. Cardboard and wet air. Flat nothingness, with the twisted stench of funky skunk.

Taste: Big carbonated bite, smallish hops, then nothing, Blank, bare, lands on the palate with a thud,... it's a dud...

Extraordinary light in body, but not really owning anything resembling flavor. How do they get away with this? Can 1.3 billion Chinamen (sorry, Walter Sobchek) really be wrong?

From their website:
Tsingtao Beer has a pleasant aroma and a well-balanced taste. Its high-malty flavor and well-hopped character make Tsingtao a refreshing complement to any Chinese meal.

pleasant? no. well-balanced? maybe. high-malty? no. well-hopped? slightly. refreshing? in high heat, sure, but with a meal, there are much better pairings. Too bad you won't find them at most Chinese restaurants, but if you're eating at home, don't subject yourself o such a mistake. Find a superior IPA or crisp pilsner, hell, a rich stout would be nice, and much better than Tsingtao.

I hope this isn't the finest beer in China, as the label states. A sample like this poorly serves the reputation of such a majestic nation.

09-17-2006 09:17:13 | More by feloniousmonk
CRichardsMN

1.65/5  rDev -40.2%

Appearance:
Pours out to nearly the clearest yellow I've ever seen, even including light beers, with a thin wispy white head which disappears as quickly as is foamed up. It may be darker after I've finished with it...

Smell:
I may detect the faintest of malts and if I strain myself, there may be hops in there. Nothing wrong, just really weak.

Taste:
More flavor than I would have guessed by the look and smell. Of all flavors present, I would have to say slightly sweet malt with a tad of bitterness. I don't happen to like the hints of mustiness and is that cardboard or feet?

Mouthfeel:
Fairly lively carbonation considering the lack of head. Body is very, very thin but may be expected from the style.

Drinkability:
Expect to find these as the Chinese replacement for any other AAJ on tap so I guess it is the logical alternative to light beers. Again nothing terrible to watch out for but by no means a beer that I'd proudly serve.

Comment:
First impression of this beer came from my father-in-law who somehow clung to this brew's name. Taking his typical style preference into account (stouts) I figured this may be ok for an AAJ. Either I was completely overhyped or a whole lot of people (1.3 billion) just don't have any other options...

10-26-2009 22:13:28 | More by CRichardsMN
Bruiser81

Kansas

1.68/5  rDev -39.1%

This brew was a very light clear golden color with an impressive head that lasted for about five seconds. A small ring was left around the edges but that too was gone half way through the beer. This beer had a grainy smell with hints of corn and not much else. The taste was very light, I really couldn't find anything specific, very bland. It was kind of like drinking carbonated water. The aftertaste was terrible, very skunky and just weird. The mouthfeel was extremely thin, this just wasn't an easy beer to drink. I would not drink this beer again.

04-02-2003 14:40:20 | More by Bruiser81
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.