Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,511 | Reviews: 592

I dunno - are we drinking the same beer? I thought this might pass for lightly beer-flavored soda water.

First had: bottle in a gift set

Yeah, it's from China. But it's not much different from any other adjunct lager. Pours a pale, watery, golden-straw color with a puff of white head that fizzles down to nearly nothing. Aroma of weak grains and a passing touch of hops, with the classic green bottle skunk. Taste of watered-down grains and corn, funk and skunk, harsh and metallic. Light and watery mouthfeel, and definitely to be avoided at all costs.

Tsingtao

Had this while in China at a restaurant.

A = Poured a pale straw colour. Really pale. Almost looks like tainted water.

S = Faint smell of light grains. Pretty much non existant.

T = Tasted like it looked. Sweetly tainted water with a hint of bitterness. Terrible.

M = Very low carbonation to add to its tainted water look. Bleh.

D = If you can't tell by now, I hated this beer big time. Only thing it has going for it in China is the fact that it is always availiable and damn damn cheap. Avoid it folks.

Skunky beer. Why drink this beer when you got so many AAL that are more trustworthy.

1.05/5  rDev -62%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The smell is that typical pungent macro adjunct odor, only to a higher degree. There's very little aroma of malt or hops present that I could detect.

T: The taste is sweet with flavors of corn, rice, a little malt and a faint touch of hops. The after-taste is a combination of sweetness, breadiness and a weird, non-hops bitterness.

M: Not very smooth with just a little crispness, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, dry finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all and had a hard time finishing it. It's slightly filling for the style. My father-in-law loves this stuff, but I can't understand why.

1.06/5  rDev -61.6%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light golden body, rising bubbles. A white head does a magic trick and disappears. No lacing.

Aroma: Cabbage, skunk, faint grains.

Taste: Even worse than the aroma, cooked veggies and sour apples come out.

Mouthfeel: Unpleasantly sticky.

Overall: Sour and skunky. Nothing resembling beer.

1.1/5  rDev -60.1%

i agree with michael kennedy, extremely dirty unclean flavour and a dirty sock sweetness, quite horrible, i wouldn't even drink it when eating Chinese food, repulsive.

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt and hops with bad case of skunk in the back. Taste is pretty inoffensive apart from the bad case of skunkyness. You have to wondered why they import all those crappy lager into North Amercia…

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a very small white head. Aroma is very grainy with a very faint hoppy character. The body is extremely light and hardly any hops or malts are noticeable. Very skunky and watery. To be quite honest, one of the worst beers I’ve ever tried. This was a drain pour after the first couple of sips, I just could not bring myself to suffer any longer.

1.22/5  rDev -55.8%

of all the places to find Chinese beer, i didnt think Bavaria would be on the list. picked it up cuz i wanted to try something different. good thing it was cheap. the Chinese do a lot of things very well, beer isnt one of those things. id rate this beer marginally higher than bud light, only for the higher alcohol content.

1.23/5  rDev -55.4%

Pale and bubbly. No head to speak of. Mild grains and skunk in the nose. Flavor is dominated by skunked rice adjuncts. Light bodied with an odd slick texture. I drank just enough to write this review. The rest went down the drain.

1.27/5  rDev -54%

...And yet another green bottled American Macro Lager from Red China that will be being poured into my glass.

This beer is a pale fizzy yellow beer that pours looking better than most Macro Lagers, I'll give it to them on this one. Hey, there is a head, a very small one, less than an inch but there is a collection of foam on top of the extremely fizzy beer. The beer is very restless, there are many, many carbonation bubbles floating to the surface in this beer. This beer like other macros is highly carbonated. For what it is it seems to be better than most. Granted it doesn't look that good, but fot the style I'll say that it is one of the better looking beers.

Aroma, no hops, or malt presence. There is however a presence of rice or corn, but definitely not the sweet smell of malted barley. Not much more than that.

To the tongue-Pretty much no taste at all. There is an inital swetness that quickly vanishes almost before it can be identified. Pretty much tastes like cold water.

Not only does it taste like water but the mouthfeel is similar to that of tonic water going flat.The feel of this beer on the palate is very bland, It goes down way too easy and is probably one of the worst beers that I've ever had. I will never buy this beer again, and I will encourage others around me not to buy this beer, it is not even worth a penny let alone what Asian restaurants charge for it. This is by far one of the worst macros I have ever had.

1.33/5  rDev -51.8%

I've told my mum not to bring me any beers, because she always picks the worst. Then this week she brought me 3 bottles of beers, thinking she was making a great gift, one of them was Tsingtao, "well thanx ma!"

When I openned the bottle, I've looked around looking to find a skunk, because the skunky smell was quite present, actually the skunk was probably one foot away from me. Then I realized, it was the beer, skunkyness with bread and cereal smells.

her look is quite shy, pale, yellownish, actually it reminds me of an albino, that beer has no life, either it died out from Shangai FOB to Montreal, because the head never appeared and I see some bubbles once in a while.

Taste is a tiny bit floral, cerealic with a shy, but very shy hoppy finish.

can I say my mom forced me to drink it? Ok I took it as a duty to review it, not the worst I had but in my top 10 of the worst unfotunately.

1.33/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This just was not good

1.33/5  rDev -51.8%

355ml green bottle poured in a dimpled mug.

Clear, pale gold in colour. Head is foamy, white and 1/4 inch at the pour, but quickly disappears. Basically no head at all after a couple minutes. Lots of carbonation streams.

Aroma is a little muddled. Grassy, skunky, grainy. No one stands out, just all three mingling together. A little sweetness in the background.

Taste is terrible. Dominated by a formaldehyde (or other chemical) flavour there are hints of grassy hops, skunk hops and floral hops. Acidic bite in the finish. Reminds me of walking into the bathroom in my parents house in the 80's after my sister was in there doing her hair... the taste that hits you when you walk into a cloud of hairspray. I don't think any beer should ever taste like hairspray.

Overly carbonated with a harsh, caustic mouthfeel. Light bodied like water with hairspray.

Worst tasting beer I've had in some time. I was mildly optimistic after the pour. Looks nice in my mug, but holy dinah, does it taste terrible. Drain pour. Avoid.

1.33/5  rDev -51.8%

I bought this beer to have with some chinese takeout. The takeout was great, but the beer didn't leave me wanting more.

A: clear, light bronze. Poured with a small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.

S: Cardboard, damp citrusy-sugar

T: Pale malty citrus with a skunky finish. It tastes a lot like it smells, but not as easy to escape from. It is a beer that had me swallowing quickly rather than savoring it in my mouth.

M: Watery, little to no carbonation.

O: Unfortunately, I didn't like this beer at all, even paired with chinese food, which I was hoping would go good with it. I'm looking at the full glass I have left and wondering if I'll be able to finish it.

1.37/5  rDev -50.4%

A- It is as though this beer was designed for someone that thought Coors light was too dark. It is almost transparent, and the green bottle can cause skunking to occur.

S- Smell is not really there, you can definitely smell the alcohol. fruity, light

T- begins with an almost lemon-grass taste, ends with a grainy, bready yeasty taste. Alcohol tastes very much present in back of mouth throughout drinking

M- Water like consistency, doesn't feel like beer at all (which I guess can be a good thing, if you are new to beer...)

O- I had high expectations for this beer, as I had a professor of Chinese studies highly recommend it. Apparently, she has never had any other kind of beer. The only good thing about this beer is that it is not more readily available in the United States.

1.38/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This should be called "China-ken". Very
similar flavor to Heineken, but more skunky. Slightly nutty and hoppy but you will never know because the skunk-ass green bottles will kill it for you 75% of the time.

1.43/5  rDev -48.2%

Green bottle into a small nonic.

A: Ultra clear but nearly colorless. Not much of a fizzy white head.

S: Skunked. Horrid.

T: Skunkiness abounds but there is a slight sweet malt in there somehwere.

M: Thin and carbonated (like any American adjunct style crap).

D:Would like to review this one fresh but since I have no plans to visit China anytime soon, this will have to suffice. Is it fair to review an obviously skunked beer? YES. The Tsingtao company needs to get its act together and drop the green glass act that seems to fool only stupid yuppies in America trying to impress people with their imported swill.

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, straw colored with a short white head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing, clear

S: grass, mineral water

T: mineral water, slightly sweet, corn

M: thin

O: not very good, refreshing at least

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

unremarkable in appearance. pale gold, a bit of bright white foam. can't tell you about the lacing because i wasn't able to choke enough down to check that out.

the nose? pure bottled skunk posterior, emboldened by hops. this was the skunkiest beer i have ever had the misfortune of wasting my money on. beautiful green bottle, though. cripes.

the flavors, well, you know where this is going. i got two sips down before my gag reflex warned me that a third sip was highly inadvisable. weakly-hopped skunkbum. get it straight out of the case or not at all; there's too much chance of light working its horrible skunky magic on it. if i manage to find a non-skunked bottle, i'll edit this review.

damn. anyone have some novacaine?

s.d.

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

Dull, flat-looking beer with a bright champagne hue but very little head. No carbonation, very little lacing. Looks like there's not much of anything in this beer.

That lack-of-anything character continues on the nose. There is a faint hint of sticky yeast. But I don't like sticky yeast, least of all on the nose. Boring and unpleasant.

Taste saves this beer from utter desolation. There is a slight hint of hops on the mid palate, but by "mid" I'm talking in terms of timing, from the first sip to the afterglow of the back palate, not in terms of the actual progression of taste from the first sip to the afterglow of the back palate, since there is actually no real taste. The hops though tell me that I am definitely drinking beer. Apart from that there's a slight cloying character to the mouthfeel which is very unpleasant. Overall, very very little character or anything to this beer. It's bland and pretty unappealing.

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It is a good beer... Only you drink it somewhere in China's Night Markets.

1.53/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Mid-yellow, vanishing white head, and no lace. The smell was strictly skunky and of rotten veggies. The taste was horrid, being very metallic and of a flat-natured lager mix. The feel is watery and acidic. Ugh. Why would anybody import this? Oh, yeh, for BAs to review.

1.54/5  rDev -44.2%

This beer was undrinkable to me. Recommended by a friend in Hong Kong, took one sip and that was quite enough.

Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.