Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev +22%

Served at the Golden Palace in Watertown, Conn.

A: Poured a very pale yellow with a soft fizz of carbonation which left a fine, powdery ring of lace.

S: Smells of crisp, grainy malts and a faint, floral hop bitterness.

T: Taste is a quick, clean snap of grainy malts with a touch of boiled rice flavor and a slightly bitter, herbal hop finish, leaving a rather dry and non-residual aftertaste.

M: Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, surprisingly, with a clean taste and smooth finish.

D: There's a slight soapiness present here, though it could have been the glass served for the pour. At any rate, it's clean, crisp and didn't get in the way of the flavors of my simmered pork, chicken and shrimp dish. I probably wouldn't drink it on it's own, but it went well here.

I could see this being strictly an accompanying drink for Chinese food or other Asian cuisine. Outside of that, I couldn't give it high marks in any category.

09-20-2008 00:58:41 | More by Gambrinus1184
beerthulhu

2.2/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Poured a light pale gold with a billowy snow white head that was moderately lasting, and perhaps the highlight of this beer. No visible carbonation or lacing was observed.

S: a light skunkiness with some fresh cabbage and needless to say was not in a good way.

T: The initial flavor had a light malt sweetness to it, with sugar coated cereal grains. Light fresh oranges and citrus make an appearance as well a light metallic nature. Finished with some fresh cabbage notes and sourness with a light moderate fade.

M: light, watery, wishy-washy and really didn't not have a lot to offer.

D: A big pass here, finish-able, but not by much with a less then enjoyable fun factor going down.

09-11-2008 22:59:00 | More by beerthulhu
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

3.45/5  rDev +24.5%

A friend of mine brought over some Tsingtao, imported from China. A clear yellow color with a wispy head. Light in the aroma but some lager malt does register in the nose. Fairly crisp, clean and light on the palate. The beer presents mainly grainy and bready flavors and finishes with a light snap of bitterness. This beer isn't too shabby considering the cringes the style "American Macro Lager" invokes in some folks. Keep an open mind and enjoy "China's Number One Beer."

08-30-2008 21:47:00 | More by BeardedBoffin
changeup45

2.28/5  rDev -17.7%

Was the only option I had at a Chinese restaurant once and it actually wasn't too bad. Maybe because I thought I'd hate it or the Chinese food masked the flavor. Hay, sweet malt taste, slight trace of bitterness. I'd get it again in the same situation but I won't go looking for it. I have heard of it being skunky, which mine wasn't.

08-23-2008 17:36:36 | More by changeup45
Wetpaperbag

Washington

1.95/5  rDev -29.6%

S- I'm skipping to smell because as soon as I opened the cap the smell of skunk ass farted from underneath the cap. Making me ponder if I'm truly going to drink this again. Oh why is this a 22oz bomber.

A- Poured crystal yellow clear, and the head is a soapy foam that is gone in seconds.

T- There is a tin/metal taste to this beer. The skunk butt is not so much there in the taste at first, but it is there in the finish.

M- Feels like a macro lager.

D- I will be using this beer to hydrate from other beers.

08-12-2008 06:00:29 | More by Wetpaperbag
morebeergood

1.9/5  rDev -31.4%

The wife and I were at an Asian place having dinner on Saturday and the Olympics were on. To salute the Games, I ordered a Tsingtao. What a mistake. Poured into a beer glass. Bright yellow body, fizzy yellow color, and a white head that took a heavy pour to form. Smelled like all macros do. Tasted like old apple juice, or maybe stale iced tea. Gross. One of the worst beers I have ever had. Stay away.

08-11-2008 23:13:35 | More by morebeergood
elniko

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured into pint glass

A: Urine tinge amber, very little head that dissipated. Typical macro lager uninspiring coloring.

S: Slightly skunky, a little hint of grass and malt tones. Solid smelling brew.

T & M: As far as macro lagers go, I enjoyed this beer. Very crisp and nice mouthfeel. No astringency or skunkiness in taste.

D: Definitely drinkable, a little too expensive to buy all the time but one of the better Oriental lagers that I've had.

08-11-2008 23:01:24 | More by elniko

3.13/5  rDev +13%

Had this with some spicy Chinese food at a local sit down Chinese eatery. I wanted a miller lite or something more familiar, but the waiter brought this, so of course I had to indulge (not to mention I had to because I found a red pepper in my Mongolian Beef!)

A: Bottle poured into a fluted glass. It poured a nice clear yellowish gold, and had a small 1 finger head that quickly dissipated into nothing. No lacing could be detected.

S: Smelled kind of bitter to me. Maybe it was just my nose being on fire that skewed that

T: Very malty up front, kind of bitter on the tongue, and very dry. I could barely detect alcohol, and once I swallowed it finished clean, leaving me wanting more

M: Thin, as is usual for this style. Not bad, just not a real mouthfull

D: Just above average. I tried this right afterwards as well, and noticed it didnt seem as drinkable as it did while I was eating spicy Chinese food.

This one is a good choice for spicy foods of all kinds, not just Chinese. If you must go eat Chinese, you really cant go wrong drinking this. It did help to put the fire out nicely!

08-07-2008 07:47:52 | More by 1099
kemoarps

Washington

3.4/5  rDev +22.7%

While lager's are not my first choice to drink, I take reviewing them as an objective task, comparing to other lagers, not to my personalized preferences in general. In general Tsingtao is a decent beer, everything else aside, and one worth at minimum trying. I received it as a part of a 'beers of the world collection' (while I was in the Netherlands, nonetheless), and had never tried it before so I thought I'd give it a try. ok, enough of my aimless wandering on to the part you guys actually give a ____ about:

appearance: it was a little light looking, though of a good straw colour, actually kind of reminds me of apple cider, in terms of appearance. good level of carbonation, though not much of a head when poured into a glass.

smell: decent smell, slightly sweet, but not overly so.

taste: an enjoyable light flavour, not succumbing to the somewhat stale overtones of other macrobrew lagers, the carbonation accents some of the subtle flavours hidden under the initial hint of sweetness. I keep mentioning the sweet overtones of this beer, but rest assured, I would not classify it as 'sweet' in and of itself, it's just a little touch more so than other lagers I have tasted. there's a very faint touch of fruit behind some of the other flavours, however exactly what those other falvours are I cannot quite place, a shortcoming for which I apologize. There is a faint coddee-esque hint, which surprises me as that is typically more characteristic of darker beers I have sampled, as is the subtle hint of cream.

mouthfeel: this is an area where this beer stands out, as the glass I am drinking has a very pleasant feel in the mouth (that sounds dirty somehow...). the carbonation level is just about where I like it, not overpoweing, but present, as the tiny bubbles dance lightly on the tongue luring out the flavours hidden behind one another, and the aforementioned mild creamy sense makes it easy to hold and swallow. It doesn't carry with it much of the unpleasant stale feeling I get from many macro lagers, and is light, and somewhat fresh feeling.

drinkability: it is light, and crisp, yet at the same time soft, and pleasant on the palate. the carbonation is not overdone, and does not dissuade from further enjoyment, yet is persistant enough that a glass can take a while to finish, and yet still feel as freshly poured by the last sip as it did initially.

overall, a fairly enjoyable imported lager. I would recommend it to someone looking for what it is, however if this is not your fancy, it's not so great as to be worth gong way out of your way just to get one.

07-23-2008 22:51:19 | More by kemoarps
toolbrew

3.33/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a light golden color with a small white head that fell quickly. Large carbonation bubbles and virtually no lacing.

Wet grass smell. Grainy too.

Initially you get that grassy taste, but then it turns sweet with a dry finish.

Notice the carbonation on the roof of my mouth but otherwise it goes down smoothly.

A good beer for a hot day. My first beer from China.

07-22-2008 03:42:53 | More by toolbrew
atis

Finland

3.63/5  rDev +31%

When I opened the bottle the first thing I immediately noticed was fresh and grassy aroma. The beer forms good head which dissipates quickly.

Taste is quite neutral, slightly malty and also maybe a bit too watery. Carbonation moderate. It goes down very quickly and is quite refreshing. I liked it.

07-19-2008 17:04:30 | More by atis
Voonder

Alberta (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +23.8%

Poured from .33l bottle into a pint glass

Very light pale yellow in color. Head is thin and white. Disappeared pretty quickly.
Doesn't have very strong smell. Light malty aroma.
Crispy taste with a little bitternes. Average lager taste.
Nice light beer, may be a little bit too carbonated. pretty drinkable though, must be good on a hot day.

Would have it again even though it's definately not my favorite lager.

07-18-2008 21:06:57 | More by Voonder
generallee

3.28/5  rDev +18.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very pale straw color that is very clear with lots of visible carbonation. The head is thin, white in color and fades out quickly leaving no lace behind.

Smell: Its aroma has big floral nose with light grainy malts along with a light skunky smell.

Taste/Mouth feel: Despite the skunk in the aroma the flavor is very clean with mild floral and delicate grainy sweetness followed by a mild bitterness in the finish. It has an easy drinking light body with just enough fizzy carbonation to give it some life.

Notes: Overall it's a very easy drinking lager with a modest light flavor. Average.

07-18-2008 15:13:03 | More by generallee
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.88/5  rDev +4%

It pours out a rather typical straw yellow, not impressive, but the white head is thick and fluffy and hangs around for a bit. Aroma is crisp and malty, typical for a lager. Flavor is malty with a surprising hint of fruit, making it better than most macro-brew lagers. Texture is smooth and pleasant. Not outstanding, but OK, good as a companion to a meal.

07-12-2008 02:00:07 | More by Cyberkedi
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

3.58/5  rDev +29.2%

I have never run into an Asian beer I don't like. Tsing Tao reminds me of a weaker version of Peroni, this beer I believe is best enjoyed in the afternoon, while being lazy or just finishing a big project, and want to cool off. Not bad and I always enjoy this one.

07-01-2008 01:26:09 | More by skeetermoses
dsa7783

3.75/5  rDev +35.4%

Single, twelve ounce bottle purchased for $1.99 from Total Wine and More in West Orange...
Always seen this beer around but never had the opportunity to actually try it...
Supposedly one of the most popular beers in the most populous nation in the world...
Pours a clear, lucid, light, golden-hue with ample carbonation, no head, and no lacing at all...
Corny, grainy aroma balanced with a touch of malts and hops...
Crisp, clean, refreshing taste... Definitley a light, sessionable beer, ideal for a hot, Summer day...
Flavor wasn't very pronounced, however, for the style, this was an easily drinkable, enjoyable beer...
Not bad...

06-30-2008 22:38:12 | More by dsa7783
dewalt

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

The best selling Chinese beer in the U.S is the brew most likely to be found in your local Chinese restaurant -- and it should stay there.

It's ostensibly a pilsner-style beer, very light and crisp, with flavors of malt and rice. But there's not a lot going on flavor-wise. Typical macro lager; not worth it for its own merits, but about right if you just need to wash down some inexpensive spicy food.

06-28-2008 23:39:18 | More by dewalt
dyingwrist

2.88/5  rDev +4%

From a bottle into a pint glass. Pale muted gold color. An aggressive pour left it with an inch of head. Quickly dissipated to almost nothing and there was no lacing. On the nose the smallest hint of malts. Simple taste of just "beer". Uninteresting, but drinkable. Lightly carbonated and very light on the palate. Overall, pretty easy to drink. Definitely the most common beer in Chinese restaurants and I don't mind ordering one.

05-31-2008 05:09:43 | More by dyingwrist
Baileyuk

3.93/5  rDev +41.9%

I ordered this beer after someone else in the party got one and I was amazed with the level of aroma for a chinese macro.

It looked like your typical macro,with a better head and look of carbonation.

The smell had a lot of barley aroma along with some good hop smell. It later turned out that the hop taste was mild although present. The barley was a surprisingly good taste.

Carbonation was great and if I was going to drink an "American Macro Lager" this one would be near the top of the list.

Good beer where you least expect it!

05-27-2008 01:05:49 | More by Baileyuk
Exner83

3.98/5  rDev +43.7%

Wow. I'm surprised. I really like this beer.

Pretty delicate to the nose - light and lovely. The taste is where it's at... like a spiffy malt liquor. It really is an addictive balance of dextrin sweetness and subtle, floral hops. Finishes semi-dry. Crispy clean, so just keep swiggin'!

The carbonation holds up, and--my, my!--it even tastes great warm! How many macros hang in there at room temperature? Very drinkable.

If I drank this with some mushi pork, I'd be a happy man. Repeat buy!

05-20-2008 10:38:16 | More by Exner83
deanhead

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Straw colored without a head.
Spicy, slightly floral aroma
Taste is unremarkable, grainy and cereal-like, some floral essence.
Thin and very light bodied, but crisp and very clean.
This is a highly drinkable beer , but not memorable in the least.

It certainly is spot on for the style. Great beer to enjoy with Chinese food or sushi. Doesn't fill you up.

05-15-2008 01:52:57 | More by deanhead
TwinSox33

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev +31%

I must say, I wasn't expecting much when I ordered this one at a restaurant in Boston's ChinaTown..But..It's surprisingly good! Who would have thought the Chinese brewed good beer..go figure. It makes more sense now, upon learning that Tsingtao was a German possession in the 1900's. The beer itself is refreshing and bizarrely light-tasting for a regular beer, but in an inoffensive sort of way. It's a bit cloying, has some malt sweetness, and faint hops. Decent brew all around. (AB owns 20-ish% of the company)

05-06-2008 03:22:28 | More by TwinSox33
Stinkypuss

3.05/5  rDev +10.1%

A. Clear yellow with a head that dissipates quickly.

S. Some barley and some hops. Also has a semi sweet aroma.

T. Once again, semi-sweet but rather dry. Slightly hopped but only slightly.

M. Light and crisp. Refreshing like many light beers. Nothing special here.

D. An average experience.

Thoughts: Apparantly equivalent to the chinese Budweiser. I think the China Man Macro is alittle better than the American counterparts, but overall not too impressive. Does well for its category. Just not my favorite style.

04-30-2008 00:59:22 | More by Stinkypuss
FleeVT

3.68/5  rDev +32.9%

12oz. green bottle into a pint, from my local Chinese restaurant.

A: Pale straw yellow with exceptional clarity and a brief appearance of a sizzling white head.

S: An extremely clean smelling beer with faint grassy hops.

T/M: This is an exceptional representation of everyone's least favorite style. The palate is crisp with a quick, mild dose of floral hops and a sweetness that is unexpected. The beer finishes almost as quickly as it starts, which is great for this style. Moderate carbonation and body drive this macro home.

D: I was pleasantly surprised with this one. As far as macros go, this one is top notch. Session!

04-21-2008 22:31:15 | More by FleeVT
TurdFurgison

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

The only beer I drink at any Chinese restaurant in NYC, Chicago, or Boston. Basically the only offering in these establishments as well.

Last night in Manhattan I had a bottle with dinner, and decided it was time to review. The beer looks like any macro lager, clear straw color with a sufficient white foam. The aroma and taste are neutral, easier to detect hops bitterness than malt sweetness, but either way muted. Just a refreshing drink to try to wash away the burn of spicy peppers. I've found coating my tongue in rice helps more.

04-12-2008 20:18:01 | More by TurdFurgison
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.