Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
3.27/5  rDev +18.5%

12oz bottle at a local Chinese place - served in a 10oz glass

A - nary any foam after 5 seconds, a short-lived layer of fizzy loose white bubbles. the beer is a little on the dark side of gold for an adjunct lager.

S - grainy, but without the steamed vegetables scent of some of its counterparts...i can actually pick out some field grass and a slight fruityness.

T - pleasant here, dominated by light yet clean grains...some floral grassiness, and apple-like sweetness.

M - light body as expected, but this is really lacking carbonation which is a shame...everything falls apart

D - goes great with slightly spicy asian cuisine, and certainly one of the more enjoyable adjunct lagers.

3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a pale straw color, not much of a head at all. Noticeable carbonation and light mouthfeel, typical of a macro lager. Overall appearance is very much like a BMC. Taste was actually better than I expected, I noticed a bit of skunkiness when opening the bottle but I didn't notice any "off" taste, it was actually sweeter than I expected. Would probably be highly drinkable, I just chose this one after a hot day walking about in the city and it was agreeable as a refresher.

2.73/5  rDev -1.1%

I was shocked when i saw i had not reviewed this one, i have i nearly every time i go out to shogun, serve in a bottle which is poured into a pint glass.

pour is what you would expect with a very pale color that really never picks itself up off the ground. super light in nearly every way, it really just does not have anything at all going for it in the looks dept.

light rice, grasses and a weird herbal aroma come forward but its very light, almost non existent smell, but the flavor comes across decent at aleast. clean, crisp, excellent with a spicy meal the light grass and rice flavors work well and the clean finish is just what you need to appreciate your food a bit more.

overall this is not bad by any means, its not great but it serves its purpose well.

2.41/5  rDev -12.7%

330ml bottle. My favorite new Pho place by my office, and I'm feeling like a beer while waiting for my spicy beef noodle soup.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some sparse specks of lace around the glass, as it quickly dissipates.

It smells up front of light-struck, skunky veggies, quite strongly, and then acrid, grainy corn grist sweetness. Bleah. The taste is a sweet rice-pudding graininess, some soft buttery alcohol, sans the heat, grapey sugar, and mildly grassy, somewhat dead weedy hops.

The carbonation is quite sedate, the body in the light to medium weight range, and a bit oily in its smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the husky cooked rice graininess skewed by a minor resurgence of the skunky hops.

Well, after an abysmal introduction, the flavour settles down to that of a simple sweet adjunct lager, suitable enough for fiery ethnic-adjacent fare, and absolutely nothing more.

2.98/5  rDev +8%

I poured into my pint glass to a fleeting white head that left no traces that it was ever present. This beer is yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and bready. Surprisingly, there is no skunk smell or taste since it does come in a green bottle. The taste is overtly sweet. If it wasn't so sweet it actually would not be a horrible beer. The mouthfeel is thin, as expected. It is probably not a beer I would seek out.

3.51/5  rDev +27.2%

Bright yellow color with good clarity. Started with a thin white head that reducedto a healthy cap. Unlike most lagers of this type though, the foam was creamier and left some respectable lacings. Very light, sweet malty aroma. Good carbonation and a light body feel. Light sweet malty flavor. Nothing spectacular but far better than Bud, Miller, etc. Easy to drink.

2.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from 640mL green bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: extremely pale in color (think white wine) with lots of apparent effervescence and a very thick, foamy white head which seems to be dissipating rather rapidly. Head is a major part of the appearance on a beer like this, and on this it scores high; but the color is just way off; it's almost colorless.

Smell: light, crisp aroma with a little malt and a little grain. Rather adjunct-y, but quite average for the style.

Taste: bland and flavorless, even for the style. There's a slight hint of malt and a touch of sour grain, but that's it. Not impressed at all.

Mouthfeel: watery with a low level of carbonation. Really not impressed.

Drinkability: well, while unimpressive, it's certainly not offensive. As a light thirst-quencher, this would do the trick. We're having a heat wave today, so it's OK.

3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

A huge note of thanks to EinWeizenbitte who seems to have embraced the madness of The CANQuest with the best of them! This CAN really evoked some memories for me as it was the first pop-top CAN I have seen in a long, long time. An actual tab that pulled away from the CAN, like pulling the pin on a grenade, if you CAN dig it.

This will be one of my submissions for New Beer Sunday (Week 286).

From the CAN (what I could read anyway - much of it was Chinese characters): "Since 1903. China's well-known trademarks. Tsingtao, the beer brand was established in 1903. Our master brewers choose only the high quality hops and barley malted to produce this award winning beer." I also liked that there were raised/embossed characters on the top of the CAN, probably reminding me either not to litter or to recycle or both. No worries! This is going into school with me. Our Foreign Language department and I refer to such things as "applied language skills". The students get a charge out of seeing different languages on the various CANs and attempt to translate the verbiage for me.

The "Glug" was not as pronounced coming out of the pop-top as from the now-standard crack-open CANs, at least not until the end when it suddenly rushed out. It was The Case of the Mysterious Disappearing Head as one second it was there and in the next, it was gone. Vaporized! Color was a pale sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pretty much standard for the style - a light lager sweetness underlain by a cereal smell. Oh well. Mouthfeel was medium with a light sweetness born of malt and adjuncts on the tongue. I am getting to the point that I do not mind the better ones as much as I used to. This was really not too bad, I know, damning with faint praise, but at least it was not gag-inducing like some I have tried. Finish was crisp and dry, fairly refreshing and I think that we/I need to remember why beers of the style are referred to as "lawnmower beers". They are not intended to be wildly hoppy or big in ABV, so as long as I CAN drink it down, it will get a satisfactory review.

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pint glass.

Appearance: Light, clear golden-yellow with a minuscule head.

Smell: Sweet grains, hay & straw, and very light apple. Slightly skunky from the green bottle.

Taste: Too sweet grainy malts with light straw and very faint metallic hops on the finish.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body. Should have a drier finish.

Drinkability: Meh. Kind of reminds me of Heineken, but maybe a little sweeter. Fortunately, it doesn't get really bad as it warms, as Heineken does.

2.85/5  rDev +3.3%

355ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - 1 finger wide fizzy white head, dissipates quickly. Pale yellow. Faint lacing.

S - slight skunkiness, rice scent and floral notes. Smells like a lager.

T &M- tastes slightly skunky, but very refreshing. Has a light to medium body

D - a decent beer, I've had more than my fair share of these over the years due to the taste and the low cost. Worth a try in my opinion.

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance> Pale and very clear. Quite lively. Pours with a bit head that dissipates quickly. Scant lacing.

Smell>rice for days.. not too metallic.

Taste> a bit like a very old lager. This taste is the flavor from the start. Not a fan. It's a one note sally that doesn't even have a great note to start from.

Mouf> meh. overly carbonated, but not terrible.

Drinkability> no thanks.

Honestly, I can think of several of the style that simply taste much better.

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

kept in green bottle.

Light in color, clear as can be.carbonation is ok.

yeasty lager smell

smooth flavor, definitely nothing extraordinary, but flowing taste, nice mouthfeel. Noticeable bitterness. Really nothing amazing going on here though.

All day I have had very low head retention on my beers. I have a hard time blaming the beers as it is over 100 degrees F outside. I am in the shade but it is still not as hell.

I kind of get that budweiseresk rice adjunct flavor, but not nearly to that extent. Pretty good tasting beer though. Does the trick on a ridiculously hot day like today.

3.9/5  rDev +41.3%

A darn good green bottled beer, and tastes like a green bottled beer. I compared it to Becks or Heineken immediately. It's nice and light, but still keeps a grainy flavor. Not much for head though, almost poured more like a soda. I would like to find this in my grocery store or get a keg of it for home.

4.42/5  rDev +60.1%

Keep in mind the taste score of 5 is due to its category and its price, if it was anything else it would soundally fail.

Drinking this straight from the source, or pretty close to it. I do have to say I think it is real funny that most chinese poar your beer into either a wiskey/Old Fashond glass or a High-ball glass. THere is no head, nor any much of anything. But the taste is 40 times better than Budwiser and it has never mad me sick, unlike budwiser. And although I paid a full 90 cents USD for my pint, I have to say it was worth it. This beer is the best Chinese beer that I have incountered; I will post if there is any better local beer. For the price and whithin the catagory, TsingTao (Qing Dao) is the best beer you can get, and I would recan In the US it still beats most American shit y lagers.

most average asian beer ive had.

A - light colour no head, but i did a slow pour.
S - light ricish?
T -no surprise, similar to tiger. Light flavour of fermented rice. Nice, but not any thing amazing.
M - not overly light like chang. Just average, notthing notable.
D - could drink a lot, but there are more interesting beers out there.

2.7/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

0.33ml bottle poured in a chalice.

Well, this is what I call "almost beer". It's summer time, it's hot, we need a refreshing beer and so on, however, this "beer" smell and tastes rice. I admit that corn could be worst... Or not.

A: Pale yellow color. Big white head which does not least and does not leave much lacings
S: It does not smells beer. It smells strange, something like a rice bark juice or something similar...
T: Not good but, could be worst (if it's an advantage). It tastes malt and rice. It lacks hops nevertheless
M: Very light body. Medium carbonation
D: Well... Please avoid it.

3.67/5  rDev +33%

Appearance - Golden color with a small white head.

Smell - Clean grains with a light malt.

Taste - Nice grain flavor with a slight malt like the smell. There is like a like hominy or maybe a corn to it that is nice and not overly sweet.

Mouthfeel - Light and refreshing. Smooth with a good body that balances it out.

Drinkability - Much much much better then the Tsingtao Pure Draft very drinkable and great for the warm weather months.

2.53/5  rDev -8.3%

A- Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a thin white head. Head has little retention and little lacing.

S- Not a strong smell mainly rice, corn and grains. Nothing special at all.

T- Tastes like a Bud or Miller product maybe just a touch sweeter. Again nothing special at all here.

M- Light and crisp and body and carbonation seems right on.

D- Nothting special here at all. Seems like drinking any Bud or Miller products.

3.92/5  rDev +42%

Presentation: 12 ounce green bottle. It has a fairly basic label.

Look: It's a faint yellowish color. It has a decent head that vanishes really fast.

Smell: It has a very sweet smell. I have never smelled a lager this sweet. It has faint grain and hops aromas also. But the smell is sweet overall.

Taste: It tastes very unique. There is a major sweet flavor that is almost like honey. It has a slight malty taste. It leaves a bitter hops flavor in the mouth after a good swig. there is also a faint floral flavor I cannot describe.

Drink: It has a slightly creamy feeling in the mouth. It is a very smooth beer to drink. It goes down with ease.

Notes: It has it's own unique taste unlike any other macro adjunct lager, and this beer stands out from it's competition. Not to mention it is affordable and very easy to drink. I'd say buy this beer if you like a nice smooth lager.

2.08/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: Very pale, very little carbonation, no head or lace.

Smell: Alcohol and metallic.

Taste: Week hop and malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin to the point where I didn't know I had a beer in my mouth.

Drinkability: It's cold and wet with a complete absence of character.

2.98/5  rDev +8%

Appears a pale, light gold with a small white cap that quickly fizzles away. Tiny speckles of lacing quickly droop back down into the collar.
Smell is of mild skunkweed, sunflowers, clover honey, pils malt, and wet hay.
Taste is of the aromas with a floral like flavor that is very light.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, semi-sweet, a touch dry, crisp, and easy drinking.

3.21/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. This is one of those beers I have definitely had before, but never reviewed.

A: Super clear, golden yellow with a frothy head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring of lace.

S: Clean rain, boiled sweet corn, wet dog, and rice. Faint whiffs of floral hops. I'd say the smell is not the strong point of this beer.

T: Incredibly nice mouthfeel with perfect carbonation for the style. Slightly sweet and refreshing with traces of rice and miscellaneous grains on the front and a sweet, lingering corny finish.

D: Goes down very smooth. Definitely the highlight of this beer.

Value: Overpriced by a buck or two per sixer if you ask me; Tsingtao is a decent drinker, but only a half step up from Miller High Life.

3.67/5  rDev +33%

Appearance: Leaves almost no foam but has a nice bubbly look. Also leaves a sticky lacing residue along the side of the glass after pouring.

Smell: The smell is nothing too strong, but it kind of smells like corn or something similarly. It definitely has peppery odor, but like I said, it's not too strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Feels very smooth. Despite the carbonation, it does not overwhelm the taste. This tastes like some sort of sweet pepper I guess with a bit of a salty aftertaste. Tsingato has no hopiness but has a nice maltiness.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and goes down easily. Even though you could drink 2-3 of these, anything more gives you a bit of a salty taste in your mouth.

Overall: Nice beer that goes great with Chinese food (obviously) or anything a bit spicy. In other words, more of a meal beer. Thumbs up.

2.99/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance - Almost no head even when aggressively poured, very clear, maybe a shade darker than most macro lager types. Some carbonation activity.

Smell - Not that skunky considering the green bottle, I don't know if I am fooling myself but I am getting floral/fruit hints behind a mostly grainy smell. Smells ok for a pale looking lager.

Taste - Kind of sweet, strong malty character with lots of grains. Low bitterness. Alcohol slightly detectable but not really in the flavor unless you look for it. Its not offensive really, and quite alright.

Mouthfeel - Consistency is ok, not too thin. Not enough carbonation for this kind of beer tough.

Drinkability - This is better than what I expected from it. If you have it cold enough, its pretty decent. The caveat is that just because the flavor isn't bad, doesn't mean its good. There is absolutely nothing here that would compel me to ever have this beer again. I do travel to China occassionally though, and this is good enough that I may switch it up in place of the licensed local brews of Heineken and Bud.

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours light yellow in color decent head. The smelll for me was nothing special for me almost grainy sour if that makes sense.
The taste no really overwhelming flavor you can taste the hoppyness a bit along with a slight grainy taste and a mild bitter finish. I was very pleased. I was expecting a cheap rice and corn beer with a nasty metallic aftertaste.

I say give it a shot at least once. You might be glad you did!

Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.