Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

S- I'm skipping to smell because as soon as I opened the cap the smell of skunk ass farted from underneath the cap. Making me ponder if I'm truly going to drink this again. Oh why is this a 22oz bomber.

A- Poured crystal yellow clear, and the head is a soapy foam that is gone in seconds.

T- There is a tin/metal taste to this beer. The skunk butt is not so much there in the taste at first, but it is there in the finish.

M- Feels like a macro lager.

D- I will be using this beer to hydrate from other beers.

Wetpaperbag, Aug 12, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -31.2%

The wife and I were at an Asian place having dinner on Saturday and the Olympics were on. To salute the Games, I ordered a Tsingtao. What a mistake. Poured into a beer glass. Bright yellow body, fizzy yellow color, and a white head that took a heavy pour to form. Smelled like all macros do. Tasted like old apple juice, or maybe stale iced tea. Gross. One of the worst beers I have ever had. Stay away.

morebeergood, Aug 11, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured into pint glass

A: Urine tinge amber, very little head that dissipated. Typical macro lager uninspiring coloring.

S: Slightly skunky, a little hint of grass and malt tones. Solid smelling brew.

T & M: As far as macro lagers go, I enjoyed this beer. Very crisp and nice mouthfeel. No astringency or skunkiness in taste.

D: Definitely drinkable, a little too expensive to buy all the time but one of the better Oriental lagers that I've had.

elniko, Aug 11, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this with some spicy Chinese food at a local sit down Chinese eatery. I wanted a miller lite or something more familiar, but the waiter brought this, so of course I had to indulge (not to mention I had to because I found a red pepper in my Mongolian Beef!)

A: Bottle poured into a fluted glass. It poured a nice clear yellowish gold, and had a small 1 finger head that quickly dissipated into nothing. No lacing could be detected.

S: Smelled kind of bitter to me. Maybe it was just my nose being on fire that skewed that

T: Very malty up front, kind of bitter on the tongue, and very dry. I could barely detect alcohol, and once I swallowed it finished clean, leaving me wanting more

M: Thin, as is usual for this style. Not bad, just not a real mouthfull

D: Just above average. I tried this right afterwards as well, and noticed it didnt seem as drinkable as it did while I was eating spicy Chinese food.

This one is a good choice for spicy foods of all kinds, not just Chinese. If you must go eat Chinese, you really cant go wrong drinking this. It did help to put the fire out nicely!

1099, Aug 07, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +23.2%

While lager's are not my first choice to drink, I take reviewing them as an objective task, comparing to other lagers, not to my personalized preferences in general. In general Tsingtao is a decent beer, everything else aside, and one worth at minimum trying. I received it as a part of a 'beers of the world collection' (while I was in the Netherlands, nonetheless), and had never tried it before so I thought I'd give it a try. ok, enough of my aimless wandering on to the part you guys actually give a ____ about:

appearance: it was a little light looking, though of a good straw colour, actually kind of reminds me of apple cider, in terms of appearance. good level of carbonation, though not much of a head when poured into a glass.

smell: decent smell, slightly sweet, but not overly so.

taste: an enjoyable light flavour, not succumbing to the somewhat stale overtones of other macrobrew lagers, the carbonation accents some of the subtle flavours hidden under the initial hint of sweetness. I keep mentioning the sweet overtones of this beer, but rest assured, I would not classify it as 'sweet' in and of itself, it's just a little touch more so than other lagers I have tasted. there's a very faint touch of fruit behind some of the other flavours, however exactly what those other falvours are I cannot quite place, a shortcoming for which I apologize. There is a faint coddee-esque hint, which surprises me as that is typically more characteristic of darker beers I have sampled, as is the subtle hint of cream.

mouthfeel: this is an area where this beer stands out, as the glass I am drinking has a very pleasant feel in the mouth (that sounds dirty somehow...). the carbonation level is just about where I like it, not overpoweing, but present, as the tiny bubbles dance lightly on the tongue luring out the flavours hidden behind one another, and the aforementioned mild creamy sense makes it easy to hold and swallow. It doesn't carry with it much of the unpleasant stale feeling I get from many macro lagers, and is light, and somewhat fresh feeling.

drinkability: it is light, and crisp, yet at the same time soft, and pleasant on the palate. the carbonation is not overdone, and does not dissuade from further enjoyment, yet is persistant enough that a glass can take a while to finish, and yet still feel as freshly poured by the last sip as it did initially.

overall, a fairly enjoyable imported lager. I would recommend it to someone looking for what it is, however if this is not your fancy, it's not so great as to be worth gong way out of your way just to get one.

kemoarps, Jul 23, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours a light golden color with a small white head that fell quickly. Large carbonation bubbles and virtually no lacing.

Wet grass smell. Grainy too.

Initially you get that grassy taste, but then it turns sweet with a dry finish.

Notice the carbonation on the roof of my mouth but otherwise it goes down smoothly.

A good beer for a hot day. My first beer from China.

toolbrew, Jul 22, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +31.5%

When I opened the bottle the first thing I immediately noticed was fresh and grassy aroma. The beer forms good head which dissipates quickly.

Taste is quite neutral, slightly malty and also maybe a bit too watery. Carbonation moderate. It goes down very quickly and is quite refreshing. I liked it.

atis, Jul 19, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from .33l bottle into a pint glass

Very light pale yellow in color. Head is thin and white. Disappeared pretty quickly.
Doesn't have very strong smell. Light malty aroma.
Crispy taste with a little bitternes. Average lager taste.
Nice light beer, may be a little bit too carbonated. pretty drinkable though, must be good on a hot day.

Would have it again even though it's definately not my favorite lager.

Voonder, Jul 18, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +18.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very pale straw color that is very clear with lots of visible carbonation. The head is thin, white in color and fades out quickly leaving no lace behind.

Smell: Its aroma has big floral nose with light grainy malts along with a light skunky smell.

Taste/Mouth feel: Despite the skunk in the aroma the flavor is very clean with mild floral and delicate grainy sweetness followed by a mild bitterness in the finish. It has an easy drinking light body with just enough fizzy carbonation to give it some life.

Notes: Overall it's a very easy drinking lager with a modest light flavor. Average.

generallee, Jul 18, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

It pours out a rather typical straw yellow, not impressive, but the white head is thick and fluffy and hangs around for a bit. Aroma is crisp and malty, typical for a lager. Flavor is malty with a surprising hint of fruit, making it better than most macro-brew lagers. Texture is smooth and pleasant. Not outstanding, but OK, good as a companion to a meal.

Cyberkedi, Jul 12, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +29.7%

I have never run into an Asian beer I don't like. Tsing Tao reminds me of a weaker version of Peroni, this beer I believe is best enjoyed in the afternoon, while being lazy or just finishing a big project, and want to cool off. Not bad and I always enjoy this one.

skeetermoses, Jul 01, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +35.9%

Single, twelve ounce bottle purchased for $1.99 from Total Wine and More in West Orange...
Always seen this beer around but never had the opportunity to actually try it...
Supposedly one of the most popular beers in the most populous nation in the world...
Pours a clear, lucid, light, golden-hue with ample carbonation, no head, and no lacing at all...
Corny, grainy aroma balanced with a touch of malts and hops...
Crisp, clean, refreshing taste... Definitley a light, sessionable beer, ideal for a hot, Summer day...
Flavor wasn't very pronounced, however, for the style, this was an easily drinkable, enjoyable beer...
Not bad...

dsa7783, Jun 30, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

The best selling Chinese beer in the U.S is the brew most likely to be found in your local Chinese restaurant -- and it should stay there.

It's ostensibly a pilsner-style beer, very light and crisp, with flavors of malt and rice. But there's not a lot going on flavor-wise. Typical macro lager; not worth it for its own merits, but about right if you just need to wash down some inexpensive spicy food.

dewalt, Jun 28, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

From a bottle into a pint glass. Pale muted gold color. An aggressive pour left it with an inch of head. Quickly dissipated to almost nothing and there was no lacing. On the nose the smallest hint of malts. Simple taste of just "beer". Uninteresting, but drinkable. Lightly carbonated and very light on the palate. Overall, pretty easy to drink. Definitely the most common beer in Chinese restaurants and I don't mind ordering one.

dyingwrist, May 31, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +42.4%

I ordered this beer after someone else in the party got one and I was amazed with the level of aroma for a chinese macro.

It looked like your typical macro,with a better head and look of carbonation.

The smell had a lot of barley aroma along with some good hop smell. It later turned out that the hop taste was mild although present. The barley was a surprisingly good taste.

Carbonation was great and if I was going to drink an "American Macro Lager" this one would be near the top of the list.

Good beer where you least expect it!

Baileyuk, May 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +44.2%

Wow. I'm surprised. I really like this beer.

Pretty delicate to the nose - light and lovely. The taste is where it's at... like a spiffy malt liquor. It really is an addictive balance of dextrin sweetness and subtle, floral hops. Finishes semi-dry. Crispy clean, so just keep swiggin'!

The carbonation holds up, and--my, my!--it even tastes great warm! How many macros hang in there at room temperature? Very drinkable.

If I drank this with some mushi pork, I'd be a happy man. Repeat buy!

Exner83, May 20, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +14.1%

Straw colored without a head.
Spicy, slightly floral aroma
Taste is unremarkable, grainy and cereal-like, some floral essence.
Thin and very light bodied, but crisp and very clean.
This is a highly drinkable beer , but not memorable in the least.

It certainly is spot on for the style. Great beer to enjoy with Chinese food or sushi. Doesn't fill you up.

deanhead, May 15, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +31.5%

I must say, I wasn't expecting much when I ordered this one at a restaurant in Boston's ChinaTown..But..It's surprisingly good! Who would have thought the Chinese brewed good beer..go figure. It makes more sense now, upon learning that Tsingtao was a German possession in the 1900's. The beer itself is refreshing and bizarrely light-tasting for a regular beer, but in an inoffensive sort of way. It's a bit cloying, has some malt sweetness, and faint hops. Decent brew all around. (AB owns 20-ish% of the company)

TwinSox33, May 06, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +10.5%

A. Clear yellow with a head that dissipates quickly.

S. Some barley and some hops. Also has a semi sweet aroma.

T. Once again, semi-sweet but rather dry. Slightly hopped but only slightly.

M. Light and crisp. Refreshing like many light beers. Nothing special here.

D. An average experience.

Thoughts: Apparantly equivalent to the chinese Budweiser. I think the China Man Macro is alittle better than the American counterparts, but overall not too impressive. Does well for its category. Just not my favorite style.

Stinkypuss, Apr 30, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +33.3%

12oz. green bottle into a pint, from my local Chinese restaurant.

A: Pale straw yellow with exceptional clarity and a brief appearance of a sizzling white head.

S: An extremely clean smelling beer with faint grassy hops.

T/M: This is an exceptional representation of everyone's least favorite style. The palate is crisp with a quick, mild dose of floral hops and a sweetness that is unexpected. The beer finishes almost as quickly as it starts, which is great for this style. Moderate carbonation and body drive this macro home.

D: I was pleasantly surprised with this one. As far as macros go, this one is top notch. Session!

FleeVT, Apr 21, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

The only beer I drink at any Chinese restaurant in NYC, Chicago, or Boston. Basically the only offering in these establishments as well.

Last night in Manhattan I had a bottle with dinner, and decided it was time to review. The beer looks like any macro lager, clear straw color with a sufficient white foam. The aroma and taste are neutral, easier to detect hops bitterness than malt sweetness, but either way muted. Just a refreshing drink to try to wash away the burn of spicy peppers. I've found coating my tongue in rice helps more.

TurdFurgison, Apr 12, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -36.6%

I'm trying to complete the local beer bar's complete menu, and that's probably the only reason I had this beer. I've found that green bottles are never a good thing.

A: Okay, this is a lager, so the pale yellow color and slight white head is acceptable. I'd be concerned if it was some bizarre color. Still, if you didnt see the bottle, you'd think this was Miller Light.

S: The smell throws you off on this one. It is rather skunky and bitter smelling. Fortunately, it doesnt taste that way.

T: When I say fortunately it doesnt taste the way it smells, I also unfortunately mean it doesnt have much of a taste at all. I was hoping to atleast pull out something like yeast or hops, but there wasn't anything. It is a taste that's almost like Gaffel Kolsch...pure and unadultered.

M: The carbonation in your mouth is slight, despite the large bubbles that comprise the beers head. It feels smooth, yet very watery. It lacks body.

D: If it had any sort of taste, I would have rated this one higher. Frankly, I don't think I'll be having one of these again. It's little more than a notch on my beer glass.

windigo32, Apr 11, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +12.3%

The beer was golden yellow with a pitiful head of a few white bubbles.The smell was pretty grassy and the taste was average in taste. The mouthfeel was lite with a bit of carbonation. It was a beer that went down pretty easy, but had nothing to make it very special going for it. Good if you want a lighter beer I guess.

hdofu, Apr 05, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle (ex 052208-13:17 - wow, specific), poured into pilsner.

Pours a light head that quickly dissipates atop a darker yellow brew with medium bubbles rising through out.

Smell is skunky at first, but becomes more grain like after a few out of green bottle. Taste is pleasant - a lot better than I had expected - light malts and grain, not to bitter but a bit sweet. Body is very light and bubbles are present but not obnoxious. Finish is decent with little aftertaste.

mattster, Apr 03, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: It pours a very clear, light yellow color. Head was foamy white and about a finger deep. Head disappeared nearly as rapidly as it formed and left virtually no lacing.

Smell: Not much going on here. It's grainy and earthy. Caramel malt is noticeable but it's very faint. It has a slightly metallic smell. Nada in the hops department.

Taste: Light caramel malt flavor is sweet. Very grainy and earthy. Taste is too watered down for my preference. Yeasty taste is pretty strong. Very light hop presence closes it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied. Carbonation is okay. Has a nice, crisp bite that makes it mildly interesting. Goes down easy enough. But, drinkability is severely limited due to its blandness. Overall, it's not a good beer. Not something I'd seek out.

prototypic, Mar 24, 2008
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.