Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
jmc44

1.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Had this one the other night in Chinatown - the only other beers available were American Macros.

This may as well have been an American Macro. Poured from the bottle a yellow straw color, tight white head that quickly disappeared. Smells faintly of malt and hops. Light mouthfeel and taste, tastes sugary.

I would imagine this would be a good beer to have if having some spicy Chinese dishes, when you would down several during a meal - it is not at all heavy or filling. Any other time, however, I would stay clear of this.

10-25-2005 00:12:41 | More by jmc44
lacqueredmouse

Australia

1.88/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance: Very pale fizzy body. Not much head. Quite inauspicious, and not very appealing looking.

Smell: Funky vegetable smell starts this off. Also grainy, like off yeast. A little sweet, but unpleasantly so. Not a nice smell at all.

Taste: This doesn't quite seem to know what it is. It's got sweetness, a little sharp bitterness, and a strong wet yeast flavour at the end, but it's so confused. In actual fact it ends up being quite unpleasant for all that. After a while it tastes like drinking dishwater.
This gets worse the more you drink it. I thought it was going to be better than this, although I don't know why. Very poor.

Overall, a non-descript beer. It's verging on being offensive and undrinkable, but it's not quite that far gone.

10-15-2005 06:37:00 | More by lacqueredmouse
Daredevil

Switzerland

1.78/5  rDev -35.5%

I have lived in Hong Kong three years and whilst visiting an outlaying island with no airconed buildings on a weekend and having a fresh fish (usually a catch from 1000 miles away Philippines ... but so be it) prepared for lunch, enjoyed my bottle (or two) of chilled Tsingtao.
I had a bottle here in Berne yesterday when visiting a Chinese style foodcourt and almost had a shock .... the distinctive taste, this smoky bitterness, of Tsingtao was there however very diluted and watery. My suspicion is, Tsingtao is using a 'milder' (or in other words watery) style for export. Sad .... the original Tsingtao would earn a 3 ...

10-13-2005 20:35:50 | More by Daredevil
daliandragon

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

This looks like a new look for Tsingtao, with a bit more green in the label and the name raised above the glass of the bottle in both English and Chinese characters, or maybe its just the version that's imported to Korea.
This is another beer I enjoy based more on fond memories and positive vibes than taste per se. The color is a weak yellowish gold and the respectable head lasts only a minute. The odor is likewise pretty bland and boring.
The taste is mild but not rank rice like some Asian beers but more of a malty character. Fairly smooth mouthfeel but nothing special.
Definitely drinkable if you're in the right mood or having Chinese or spicy food.

09-28-2005 15:45:38 | More by daliandragon
LPorter33

1.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Single bottle purchase just to try some Chinese beer. I knew this one was going to suck before going in.

Appearance = weak straw colored, pale, clear, no head, barely any lacing. Not impressed.

Smell = Skunk like scent similar to a Heineken. Some honey like malt sweetness is present, bumping it up a bit. Otherwise bland and boring.

Taste = Watery grain and malt with a pathetic hops presence. This is very unimpressive beer. There's a bit of sweetness that comes through but it doesn't compliment anything well and only makes the taste worse. Yuck.

Overall = I did not enjoy anything about the beer. In fact, I'm dumping 3/4 of the bottle down the drain.

09-24-2005 04:07:46 | More by LPorter33
edmundfitzoil

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

My Tsingtao came in a 12 oz. green bottle with no freshness date that I could find at least, and I poured it into a standard pint glass.

It poured a straw color with a head that didn't stick around all that long and left no lacing. The beer smelled sweet and had a taste on the sweet side as well. I got a lot of grain flavors and a surprising, although neither overpowering or negative, sweet character from the light mouthfeel beer. It went down really well with the chinese food I had ordered at the restaurant and something that I could imagine being pretty refreshing on a hot day. All and all, this isn't a bad beer at all. I am pretty surprised with the level my level of enjoyment with this one.

09-15-2005 21:51:48 | More by edmundfitzoil
EMV

3.23/5  rDev +17%

The staple beer of the chinese/thai restaurant, Tsingtao is actually a pretty decent brew, and when I'm in Chinatown I always make sure to pick one up. The appearance overall is pretty average. It pours a clear light gold with a small white head that falls pretty quickly. Moderately aromatic, with detectable hops, and if your bottle isn't fresh there can definitely be some skunk.

The taste seems to compliment chinese food well, and goes down pretty cleanly with a bit of sweetness to it.. and ends with a slightly bitter aftertaste. It's not an amazing beer, but it is a very ok beer, especially for the fun of drinking a chinese beer in a chinese restaurant. As a side note, I've heard that this is easily the worst of the Tsingtao products, and that the ones they keep in China are vastly superior. Not sure if it's true, but makes me wanna try one all the same.

09-11-2005 02:49:10 | More by EMV
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt and hops with bad case of skunk in the back. Taste is pretty inoffensive apart from the bad case of skunkyness. You have to wondered why they import all those crappy lager into North Amercia…

07-18-2005 13:19:04 | More by Phyl21ca
palliko

3.88/5  rDev +40.6%

This and Sapporo are my favorite Asian imports. Appearance is a clear light gold, minimum foam and short lived lace. The aroma contains some grain and floral hops. Initial taste is mild:
Composed of sweet grassy notes, some malt, a hint of skunky sulphur, bitter hops and bread. Medium body, light carbonation – seems to be designed to compliment Chinese Food, and I usually order one when at a Chinese Restaurant.

07-11-2005 17:45:02 | More by palliko
BamaScholar

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

Served at a Thai restaurant with panang curry. I had really asked for Singha, but my pronounciation is none too accurate, so the server brought this and it was worth a try.

Poured a very light topaz with a fizzy head that dissipated quickly. Smell and taste were average for a macro but what I did enjoy was the crisp carbonation...it complemented the light dishes and Tom Ka soup nicely.

One was enough...it was on to a tawny port with dessert anyway :)

07-01-2005 22:17:44 | More by BamaScholar
SetarconeX

2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Not a great lager, by any standards. It does however have an odd taste all its own. Almost indescribably weird semi-sweet malts, and some rather lackluster hops. Fairly nice, sweet scent though. More flavorful than many macros, but not really in any good way. I don't think I'll be coming back to this one anytime soon.

06-22-2005 09:58:43 | More by SetarconeX
MUSHROOMCLOUD

2.93/5  rDev +6.2%

This has become a tradition for my dad and I. Tsingtao at the China Bowl in Bandera, TX.
The beer pours an attractive golden color with a non-existent head and hardly any lacing.
The smell is grainy with a sweet corn aroma.
The taste is also sweet, almost a little sugary. Very, very faint hops at the end. The mouthfeel is typically thin for this style. Not a bad beer to chase down a spicy dish of Kung Pao Triple. It is not much different from other Chinese, Japanese beers I have had. Pretty straight forward, nothing memorable, but I think that is what they are going for. A good drinkable beer.

06-11-2005 19:26:46 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
lokicat444

2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Served to me at a Vietnamese restaraunt in a glass, the appearance was golden, with a good amount head which quickly fizzled. Not distinctive smell, except a slight sweetness. Taste had a noticeable sweetness, similar to a Miller High Life. No remarkable characteristics, a rather thin but passable mouthfeel. Matches up well to spicy food, but not as enjoyable as a Thai Sigha. Decent with a meal, but that's pretty much all it's good for.

06-05-2005 23:49:17 | More by lokicat444
Lnedrive14

1.88/5  rDev -31.9%

I was expecting quite a bit more. Perhaps this bottle was a bit old, but it tasted exactly as it looked - like piss. My bottle poured with absolutely no head and was a horrifically ugly yellow. Far, far worse than the budcoorsmiller trifecta. For a mass produced lager, give me one of those over this any day.

05-11-2005 14:45:07 | More by Lnedrive14
OatherS

Kansas

3.78/5  rDev +37%

Green bottle at the Panda Garden Chinese restaraunt in Larry. $2.50 not a bad price.

Smell: Very noticable odor, somewhat of a "skunky" type smell without actually being skunky.

Taste: Very evident macro taste but goes well with spicy oriental food.

M/D: Very clean feel that is something I could drink again, especially with Chinese.

05-06-2005 02:02:42 | More by OatherS
FirstMan

2.98/5  rDev +8%

Of the mass-produced American style lagers, this is one of the better ones. Pours a straw-colored blonde with tiny bubbles circling the edge. No real head to speak of after a couple minutes.

A crisp clean flavor with overtones of grain and touches of hop flower and honey. Flavor is mostly up front with a lackluster finish.

Nice beer on a hot day, but I can think of about 10 micro Am Lagers that take this to school.

04-19-2005 22:22:07 | More by FirstMan
jasonpeckins32

1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

I poured this one from a bottle into a pint glass. Must be an old picture of the bottle and label on the website, mine is different looking. This beer pours a very transparent golden yellow color. Practically no head retention and not much visible carbonation at all. Quite a poor looking beer by any standards. The nose is a little skunky, but not too overpowering. The taste is not bad, definitly better than the appearance. Somewhat skunky at first, yet the finishing taste is a little bland. The mouthfeel is watery, but what else could I expect? I'm not sure if I could down a whole lot of these but one or two is not bad. Not good but not the worst beer I've had either.

04-07-2005 03:57:08 | More by jasonpeckins32
pentathlete

3.48/5  rDev +26.1%

I have had Tsingtaos for a couple of decades, so after we returned from a neighborhood Chinese restaurant (Mai Ling, on Rt 10, for those in the area) I thought I'd better review it.

Pours crystal clear like an adjuncy should. Nose was a little bready with faint grass and malt. Not a single skunky iota of smell. Taste was bubbly and crisp. The adjunct must be rice, there was no corn taste. Thin mouthfeel as expected. Man this goes down easy with spicy or sweet sauces. Nice beverage, not for my fridge, but I do enjoy it with my Chinese repasts.

03-06-2005 03:30:29 | More by pentathlete
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev +22.5%

Sampled at the chinese restaurant at Epcot in Florida. It poured a pale yellow color with a 2 finger, light and bubbly head. The nose was slightly grainey, with a ever so slight hop. Nothing really special. The flavor surprised me a bit. There was almost a gingery tinge in there. I found it very refreshing with some honey seseame chicken. The feel was moderate with a healthy carbonation. Also, very refreshing. Much better than I had expected from the initial pour. I would probably visit this again when dining on some general tso's.

03-04-2005 02:10:50 | More by kmpitz2
bceaglejoe

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Presentation: This beer poured a pinkish-yellow color, somewhat clear, with almost no head. There was moderate carbonation evident, with a constant flow of bubbles rising to the top of the glass. It smelled somewhat sweet and tangy, without an overwhelming corn or rice scent.

Tasting: It was actually rather pleasant and refreshing. Strangely, it tasted similar to a cheap white wine or champagne. There was almost no hop bitterness. It wasn't very malt-y at all either. It showed adjunct characteristics, but it wasn't harsh or difficult to drink. It felt somewhat smooth in my mouth. This went very well with the Chinese food I ate.

I definitely would recommend this with Chinese food. Otherwise, I'd say it's about an average beer. It's not incredibly remarkable.

02-24-2005 01:20:53 | More by bceaglejoe
Bierschenker

2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

*Bottle: 33cl
*Alcohol: 4.5%
*Pils
*Brewery: Tsingtao Brewery Co.,LTD. Qingdao, China
*Place beer was reviewed: Chinese restaurant, Grote Markt B-2800 Mechelen

It is a beer I often drink when I enjoy a Chinese dish. It goes fine with Chinese food, a good combination. But it is a beer I would never drink outside of the restaurant. On it’s own it is just an other mediocre beer you can find all over the world.
It has a Cider like yellow colour and not a lot of activity, so if you want a head at all you will have to treat it rough while pouring. I didn’t find a lot of taste in it. It has same sweetness in it but overall quite neutral. Only in combination with the food does it seem to have something of an aroma. So there is not a lot to tell about it. Still, it was quite refressing. But I'm not asking seconds.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

02-22-2005 15:36:45 | More by Bierschenker
Suds

2.85/5  rDev +3.3%

Had a few of these brews at a PF Chang’s restaurant. It’s basically an everyday common lager, with a bit more malt flavor than most. Bright yellow color with a respectable head and a grainy smell. There’s a little sweetness up front and a spicy hoppiness in the mid-taste. The beer goes well with food, and is fairly drinkable. Light and airy, simple, and not really any flaws. Unfortunately, it’s also average and uninteresting.

02-20-2005 19:43:43 | More by Suds
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation: A short green 355ml bottle.

Appearance: Pale golden and good finger neck. Not wonderful, but still ok.

Smell: Skunky. Traces of hops behind the skunk smell.

Taste: Somewhat weak, somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Very foamy feel and a half-metallic, half-bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: I don't know too much the chinese beer scene, but it seems to be typical to the asian macros. Drinkable, but not exactly an exceptionnal product to compete on the world markets.

02-14-2005 02:25:21 | More by Barraclou
kosmoraios

Washington

1.8/5  rDev -34.8%

Nasty. Talk about a skunky macrobrew. Pours a very light yellow with a bit of white head that is gone very quickly. Smells of skunky hops, and not much else. Tastes like watered-down american macrobrew, but has a strangeness to it that I cannot identify. A unique tinge of flavor, perhaps resulting from the regional Chinese ingredients used. Mouthfeel is almost like a sprite - extremely carbonated, but not much else. I guess it's drinkable, if you can stand the taste.

02-06-2005 00:55:11 | More by kosmoraios
wolf26

3.85/5  rDev +39.5%

At first sip, it tastes like many cheap euro-lagers. But after a few more, it's better character comes out. Light-bodied feel, bread-like malt flavor, backed by hops, slightly sweet (but not too sweet) crisp finish. Reminds me of Bitburger. I imagine it would go great with spicy Oriental dishes. This is what American macros should taste like.

02-02-2005 19:53:19 | More by wolf26
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.