Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
DrJay

3.13/5  rDev +13.4%

Clear straw yellow topped by a bright white head of small, dense bubbles. Good head retention and stickage to the sides of the glass. Crisp lager smell with moderate sweetness and a light hop aroma. Mild and mostly balanced flavour with some DMS sweetness. Light bitterness becomes more evident towards the finish. Light body and high carbonation.

Green 355 mL bottle with no freshness date.

10-11-2004 20:37:20 | More by DrJay
alexgash

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Tsingtao - Chinese for:
"Pale straw body with a crackly, wispy white head. Gotta love green bottles...Gee, I wonder if this has anything to do with these skunky aromas pouring out of the glass? Actually, the skunk isn't too bad, but it's there. There's also some light, cerealy malt, and a touch of true, low-key hops. Goes down with some lightly sweet malt up front, followed up with a very modest dose of balancing hops. Not bad. Could wash down some good Chinese food, although I'd prefer a good pale ale or IPA with some spicy Szechwan. I can't see buying this again, unless at a Chinese restaurant, or back in China, where this is one of the best beers there. Trust me, it's way better than some of the cheap swill you'll find in dirty, 20 oz. bottles..."

09-17-2004 17:21:33 | More by alexgash
baiser

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured a clear light yellow, almost no head. Fizzy to say the least.

Some malt aroma, a faint floral scent.

Taste: Mostly grains, and slight hop bitterness, and very faint floral taste as it warmed. Drinkable, but not too good. Don't really care for this one.

08-31-2004 15:22:12 | More by baiser
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

3.4/5  rDev +23.2%

330ml bottle

Pours with a light yellow body, fairly good head

Smell, malty aromas, faint herby aromas also

Taste, slight hop bitterness, malty body, slight herby aroma, quite nice floral bite

A good pale lager, great little refreshing session beer, great with chinese or indian food

08-28-2004 00:54:15 | More by cypressbob
livin4jc

2.35/5  rDev -14.9%

Obtained from: Big Bowl in River North, Chicago
Sampled on: August 15, 2004

Aroma: Slightly flowery smell and a slight cheap light beer smell.
Appearance: Clear, yellow, slight foamy head.
Taste: Very light, good with the spicy food I was eating, but not much else. It tasted watered down, but did have a slight citrus flavor. Was a little sulfuric and did taste like it had some grain in it.
Mouthfeel: It is brewed from Mountain Spring Water. It feels much the same.
Drinkability: I wouldn't drink it outside a chinese restaurant. Not a very good drinking beer. On par with Michelob Ultra in my opinion.

08-26-2004 00:21:17 | More by livin4jc
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.03/5  rDev -26.4%

I've probably had at least a case of Tsingtao in my lifetime, but every bottle has been consumed along with a plate of Chinese food. Let's see how it tastes solo.

Dark straw yellow or light golden amber, take your pick. I do see a smattering of miniscule particulates, but I'm fairly certain they aren't yeast. The soft, fluffy, shockingly bright white head hangs around for a bit thanks to my high-altitude pour. Almost no lace.

The nose is of sour grain, cooked veggies and a mild skunkiness that is due to either the skunkilicious green bottle or, more likely, simple poor quality. The flavor isn't horrible, but it's close. There's a harshness that's a direct result of the serious malt deficiency and the same sour grain nastiness that was present in the nose is present on the palate. The body is overly thin and the mouthfeel is overly carbonated to the point of fizziness.

Tsingtao is a barely drinkable adjunct lager that would leap into the undrinkable category if consumed at greater than 55 degrees. Maybe I was able to consume it with my Chinese food all those years because my love of spicy dishes deadened my taste buds to the beery depredations of this close-to-nasty Far East import. Stay away.

08-21-2004 15:27:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
theozag

Louisiana

2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

My first new beer in quite a few weeks, and I picked a fairly good one. Of course, it would have helped me to get this beer if only I'd known that its name is pronounced "J'n-tow" but the server didn't have too much trouble figuring me out. It pours a dull golden-yellow with a slightly off-white head that's not too thick or lasting. The smell is sweet and fairly generic, without too much of a distinctive character. This beer starts exceptionally smooth - especially for a lager - and then settles on the tongue with even amounts of sugar and cinnamon-like flavors. It is medium-bodied, though almost light-bodied. The finish is the most unusual part of Tsingtao. Once the somewhat weak flavors of the beer are headed to the back of your throat, a practically over-powering alcoholic flavor invades your mouth. On my first mouthful, I compared it to Listerine.

07-21-2004 00:14:28 | More by theozag
beertaster13

Washington

I have searched far and wide and have finally found a lager I truly enjoy. Pours a golden yellow with a white foam cream head that is quite impressive. Lacing is thick and foamy. The smell is of grain with slight skunk. Hints of earth and slight malt. The taste is smooth and sweet. The grains have a sweetness to them that is quite unusual. Almost caramel grains. Slight bready taste, the sweetness is creamy and refreshing but still light and lager like. Cleans the palate well. The most drinkable lager out there. Goes great with Chinese food, great cooking beer as well.

07-20-2004 02:15:17 | More by beertaster13
Gagnonsux

3.48/5  rDev +26.1%

Had this beer today at a chinese food restaurant.

Appearance- Nice light golden color without looking too watery. Fairly large head.

Smell- Standard lager smell with a sweet finish.

Taste- Good tasting lager, but a little "light" for me to love. Sweet finish is a plus.

Drinkability- This beer went really well with the chinese food I was eating, even without the food I could imagine drinking quite a few of these. However, at Tsingtao's normal price there are better beers to buy and many of equal quality that cost less. Still, I imagine having one again with chinese.

06-02-2004 18:46:49 | More by Gagnonsux
shirfan

2.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours medium-gold and clear, with a thin head. Leaves slight lacing.

Mild smell of fermenting grain, worried me what sort of taste would follow.

Taste: Beer water. There's nothing much here to talk about; no hops to speak of, and the thinnest helping of plain old lager malt. I suspect a healthy dose of rice is used. Finish finally picks up a little, with a slight note of lime and... sulfur. Carbonation level is high.

Not skunky like euro-lager, nor corn-swilly like the usual north american suspects, I could deal with this next time I'm eating chinese food (or better yet, thai) if pressed. Remarkably unremarkable, and the spicier the food pairing the better.

05-16-2004 01:07:45 | More by shirfan
guinness33

2.23/5  rDev -19.2%

there's really not much to this brew, and i expected more as i remember it being more flavourful in the past. pours a fairly clear golden colour. not american macro clear, but not much better. minimal to no head here rfom a vigerous pour. the smell was of straw, grain and corn perhaps. there's somewhat of a dirty smell and flavour here too, which makes this one, whilst more flavourful and fuller-bodied than an american macro, less appealing to drink. i've had far more enjoyable asian brews than this one. certainly nothing special. thumbs down.

05-09-2004 17:22:53 | More by guinness33
granger10

Wisconsin

2.42/5  rDev -12.3%

This is definitely an asian tasting beer, which isn't really a good thing. Strong rice flavor along with a semi sweet taste, a little like sugar added to a beer after fermentation is complete. The body was nice and full but there wasn't too much in it. The aftertaste was atrocious, like said before: a sweaty sock. This might go well with a rice dish b/c of all the rice in it.

04-25-2004 23:11:24 | More by granger10
AndIWantYou

2.7/5  rDev -2.2%

Actually not nearly as bad as I expected. This beer goes down pretty smoothly as long as it's cold; my only objection is the sweat-like aftertaste (yuck). It has a pleasant color, only no head to speak of. I guess the old idea that it "goes well with Chinese food" held true, although it's not a beer I'll buy again.

04-08-2004 22:54:10 | More by AndIWantYou
oelergud

2.45/5  rDev -11.2%

Clear straw colored body, rich carbonation, white head decent retention.
Scent of this brew screams LAGER, weak hop aroma and not really anything else. Taste is very close to the smell, aftertaste is weak but well balanced with the hops up front and a slight malty flavor later on.
Mouthfeel is pretty good for a lager, full body but it doesn't leave much trace after being swallowed.
Good drinkability even though it's not that good a beer, I guess because the taste and flavor leaves you thinking you only had water so far.

-Oelergud

03-28-2004 01:54:23 | More by oelergud
merlin48

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a pale, straw yellow with a small, white head. No lacing.
Aroma features pale malt, some faint floral hops, and a mild note of skunky mildewed hay.
Mouthfeel is actively carbonated, with a slight, white pepper bite on the tongue.
Taste is unremarkable. Floral, hops notes are very faint, and there is a hint of skunky, mildewed hay. Finishes slightly bitter, but clean, overall.
Not an outstanding import, but I enjoy this with spicy Asian food.

03-27-2004 21:47:38 | More by merlin48
donnebaby

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

The head was somewhat good-looking and dimished slowly, medium-size bubbles. The color of the body is...light gold.

The smell of this beer was the highlight for me. There's an overwhelming wortyness at first that bounces off the bubbles, but a sweet maltiness then takes over and only a slight hoppy bitterness remains.

The taste is not altogether distinctive, slightly sweet, but the added factor of the very light carbonation that bubbles its way down the throat leaves a nice impression. A gracious hop presence as well at the end.

This beer exceeded my low expectations for it and was better than I recalled.

03-23-2004 10:53:49 | More by donnebaby
woemad

1.98/5  rDev -28.3%

Bottle purchased at Ming Wah, a restaurant in Spokane. I forget what I paid for it, but I could have made the transaction quicker by not ordering it at all, just taking the money out of my wallet and leaving it on the table with my tip

It poured a fizzy yellow color out of a green bottle. Small white head that dissipated rapidly.

Smell? Well, it wasn't offensive. That's because it was totally absent. There was no smell at all.

Taste was only slightly more noticeable than the smell. This was water with a very slight bit of citrus flavor to it. When I saw the green bottle I feared skunking. If this had been skunked, there'd have been more flavor.

Mouthfeel was just like water - and I'm still not sold on the idea I didn't buy a green 12oz glass bottle of water.

Drinkability is fine for water. Pretty lame for a beer.

The only reason this beer isn't getting a bigger roasting from me than it is has to do with the fact that it wasn't truly godawful tasting, smelling, etc. It is simply the most relentlessly bland beer I've ever encountered.

After the St. Bernardus Abt. 12 I had earlier today, I'm definitely finding my feet are now firmly back on the ground.

03-22-2004 05:48:14 | More by woemad
Zorro

3.8/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear sunny yellow colored brew.

Smell is sweet with that Tsingtao straw and cider scent, nice but different.

Taste is sweet with a dry straw flavor and a mild bitterness in the finish. There is no other way to describe it except "TSINGTAO." Once you taste it you know that beer/cider/wine flavor by name.

Mouthfeel is good.

Always super drinkable with Chinese or Thai food, a reference brew for a class I call "Asian Pale." Asian beers are just different; really need their own classification.

03-19-2004 04:26:36 | More by Zorro
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had a straw like color to it with a skunky smell. Alot of grassy bitterness. I think I liked this better the first time when it was called Heineken, because it tastes almost exactly like it. I had it in Chinese place with my food. Ever get the chance to do that..pass on that.
Perhaps if it was ice cold it wouldn't be so bad, but as for now, it just isn't for me.

03-13-2004 01:49:16 | More by SilentSabre
rajendra82

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -23.9%

Very pale straw colored body with a frothy white short lived head fed by fake carbonation. Clean grainy malt smell with notes of grassy hops. Cloyingly sweet diluted corn syrup like taste is pretty bad. A touch of hops in the aftertaste make this a bit more drinkable than it would otherwise be. On par with mass produced beers from the big three, and only worth sampling as a novelty. My Chinese friend at work handed this to me as a free sample. I would not buy it, and I’ll have to try to get him to sample some of the better pale lagers so that he wouldn’t either.

03-09-2004 04:45:06 | More by rajendra82
chaduvel

3.03/5  rDev +9.8%

yet another international pale lager. holy moley it smells like someone ran over a skunk in alexgash's kitchen when we cracked open this thing. I've never smelled a more skunky beer. looks like all the other lager, pale's. Taste is a pleasant surprise, however. A very sweet tasting lager. Sugared bread or cereal dominates. No adjuncts and pretty drinkable. If only the skunk was gone this would be a mighty fine pale lager. I know that's not saying much...

03-08-2004 22:51:05 | More by chaduvel
ybnorml

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Very pale yellow color. Clean (no floaties) and almost clear appearence. Pours with a big white head but it does not last long and does'nt leave much if any lace. The only aroma I got from this beer was a light sweet kinda grain smell. I could dissern no hops at all. The taste was again lightly sweet at first with a touch of bitterness and the sweet grainy finish. I was not impressed because the flavor does'nt stay with you very long.

03-04-2004 00:56:26 | More by ybnorml
JeffreyG

2.93/5  rDev +6.2%

This isn't bad, but there are many other better choices (even if you limit yourself to pale lager). Why bother. It looks like your basic lager, pale yellow but it does have a decent white head. Not much retention or lacing. It smells like your basic lager, a little bit of sweet malt with barely a hint of hops. Taste is much the same, mostly sweet with not quite enough hops. I suppose it's drinkable because there isn't much to it. But I have to admit, I'd probably take a High Life or a Grain Belt Premium before this. Maybe I'll try this again at a Chinese restaurant, but I usually default to Sapporo. I don't think this is better.

02-25-2004 15:00:34 | More by JeffreyG
57andcounting

Alabama

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

With some trepidation (that means, "this may not be real good to you west coast guys") I popped the top off of this Chinese and I found a run of the mill production beer. For sure, as good as Bud, Coors etc. Of course, it doesn't stand out either.
Pours a nice head that leaves in seconds, smooth going down, no real aftertaste.
You can serve this to your Bud drinking friends, and they'll think they had a step up in life.
I call this "China Bud".
If someone offered this to me at a party, I'd drink it.
It's ok for a production beer.

02-08-2004 23:23:55 | More by 57andcounting
Gusler

Arizona

1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

The archetypal lager color a bright gold, typical head modest and bright white, frothy in texture, the lace thin. Nose is quintessential lager malt and crisp, start is sweet, top is cadaverous. Finish is moderate in carbonation, hops apropos to the style, not a very good beer by any countries standards, but they sell a hell of a lot of it.

02-07-2004 21:31:41 | More by Gusler
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.