Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev +17%

The staple beer of the chinese/thai restaurant, Tsingtao is actually a pretty decent brew, and when I'm in Chinatown I always make sure to pick one up. The appearance overall is pretty average. It pours a clear light gold with a small white head that falls pretty quickly. Moderately aromatic, with detectable hops, and if your bottle isn't fresh there can definitely be some skunk.

The taste seems to compliment chinese food well, and goes down pretty cleanly with a bit of sweetness to it.. and ends with a slightly bitter aftertaste. It's not an amazing beer, but it is a very ok beer, especially for the fun of drinking a chinese beer in a chinese restaurant. As a side note, I've heard that this is easily the worst of the Tsingtao products, and that the ones they keep in China are vastly superior. Not sure if it's true, but makes me wanna try one all the same.

EMV, Sep 11, 2005
1.18/5  rDev -57.2%

Bottle: Poured a golden color lager with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt and hops with bad case of skunk in the back. Taste is pretty inoffensive apart from the bad case of skunkyness. You have to wondered why they import all those crappy lager into North Amercia…

Phyl21ca, Jul 18, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +40.6%

This and Sapporo are my favorite Asian imports. Appearance is a clear light gold, minimum foam and short lived lace. The aroma contains some grain and floral hops. Initial taste is mild:
Composed of sweet grassy notes, some malt, a hint of skunky sulphur, bitter hops and bread. Medium body, light carbonation – seems to be designed to compliment Chinese Food, and I usually order one when at a Chinese Restaurant.

palliko, Jul 11, 2005
3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

Served at a Thai restaurant with panang curry. I had really asked for Singha, but my pronounciation is none too accurate, so the server brought this and it was worth a try.

Poured a very light topaz with a fizzy head that dissipated quickly. Smell and taste were average for a macro but what I did enjoy was the crisp carbonation...it complemented the light dishes and Tom Ka soup nicely.

One was enough...it was on to a tawny port with dessert anyway :)

BamaScholar, Jul 01, 2005
2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Not a great lager, by any standards. It does however have an odd taste all its own. Almost indescribably weird semi-sweet malts, and some rather lackluster hops. Fairly nice, sweet scent though. More flavorful than many macros, but not really in any good way. I don't think I'll be coming back to this one anytime soon.

SetarconeX, Jun 22, 2005
2.93/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This has become a tradition for my dad and I. Tsingtao at the China Bowl in Bandera, TX.
The beer pours an attractive golden color with a non-existent head and hardly any lacing.
The smell is grainy with a sweet corn aroma.
The taste is also sweet, almost a little sugary. Very, very faint hops at the end. The mouthfeel is typically thin for this style. Not a bad beer to chase down a spicy dish of Kung Pao Triple. It is not much different from other Chinese, Japanese beers I have had. Pretty straight forward, nothing memorable, but I think that is what they are going for. A good drinkable beer.

MUSHROOMCLOUD, Jun 11, 2005
2.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Served to me at a Vietnamese restaraunt in a glass, the appearance was golden, with a good amount head which quickly fizzled. Not distinctive smell, except a slight sweetness. Taste had a noticeable sweetness, similar to a Miller High Life. No remarkable characteristics, a rather thin but passable mouthfeel. Matches up well to spicy food, but not as enjoyable as a Thai Sigha. Decent with a meal, but that's pretty much all it's good for.

lokicat444, Jun 06, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -31.9%

I was expecting quite a bit more. Perhaps this bottle was a bit old, but it tasted exactly as it looked - like piss. My bottle poured with absolutely no head and was a horrifically ugly yellow. Far, far worse than the budcoorsmiller trifecta. For a mass produced lager, give me one of those over this any day.

Lnedrive14, May 11, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +37%

Green bottle at the Panda Garden Chinese restaraunt in Larry. $2.50 not a bad price.

Smell: Very noticable odor, somewhat of a "skunky" type smell without actually being skunky.

Taste: Very evident macro taste but goes well with spicy oriental food.

M/D: Very clean feel that is something I could drink again, especially with Chinese.

OatherS, May 06, 2005
2.98/5  rDev +8%

Of the mass-produced American style lagers, this is one of the better ones. Pours a straw-colored blonde with tiny bubbles circling the edge. No real head to speak of after a couple minutes.

A crisp clean flavor with overtones of grain and touches of hop flower and honey. Flavor is mostly up front with a lackluster finish.

Nice beer on a hot day, but I can think of about 10 micro Am Lagers that take this to school.

FirstMan, Apr 19, 2005
1.95/5  rDev -29.3%

I poured this one from a bottle into a pint glass. Must be an old picture of the bottle and label on the website, mine is different looking. This beer pours a very transparent golden yellow color. Practically no head retention and not much visible carbonation at all. Quite a poor looking beer by any standards. The nose is a little skunky, but not too overpowering. The taste is not bad, definitly better than the appearance. Somewhat skunky at first, yet the finishing taste is a little bland. The mouthfeel is watery, but what else could I expect? I'm not sure if I could down a whole lot of these but one or two is not bad. Not good but not the worst beer I've had either.

jasonpeckins32, Apr 07, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +26.1%

I have had Tsingtaos for a couple of decades, so after we returned from a neighborhood Chinese restaurant (Mai Ling, on Rt 10, for those in the area) I thought I'd better review it.

Pours crystal clear like an adjuncy should. Nose was a little bready with faint grass and malt. Not a single skunky iota of smell. Taste was bubbly and crisp. The adjunct must be rice, there was no corn taste. Thin mouthfeel as expected. Man this goes down easy with spicy or sweet sauces. Nice beverage, not for my fridge, but I do enjoy it with my Chinese repasts.

pentathlete, Mar 06, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +22.5%

Sampled at the chinese restaurant at Epcot in Florida. It poured a pale yellow color with a 2 finger, light and bubbly head. The nose was slightly grainey, with a ever so slight hop. Nothing really special. The flavor surprised me a bit. There was almost a gingery tinge in there. I found it very refreshing with some honey seseame chicken. The feel was moderate with a healthy carbonation. Also, very refreshing. Much better than I had expected from the initial pour. I would probably visit this again when dining on some general tso's.

kmpitz2, Mar 04, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: This beer poured a pinkish-yellow color, somewhat clear, with almost no head. There was moderate carbonation evident, with a constant flow of bubbles rising to the top of the glass. It smelled somewhat sweet and tangy, without an overwhelming corn or rice scent.

Tasting: It was actually rather pleasant and refreshing. Strangely, it tasted similar to a cheap white wine or champagne. There was almost no hop bitterness. It wasn't very malt-y at all either. It showed adjunct characteristics, but it wasn't harsh or difficult to drink. It felt somewhat smooth in my mouth. This went very well with the Chinese food I ate.

I definitely would recommend this with Chinese food. Otherwise, I'd say it's about an average beer. It's not incredibly remarkable.

bceaglejoe, Feb 24, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

*Bottle: 33cl
*Alcohol: 4.5%
*Pils
*Brewery: Tsingtao Brewery Co.,LTD. Qingdao, China
*Place beer was reviewed: Chinese restaurant, Grote Markt B-2800 Mechelen

It is a beer I often drink when I enjoy a Chinese dish. It goes fine with Chinese food, a good combination. But it is a beer I would never drink outside of the restaurant. On it’s own it is just an other mediocre beer you can find all over the world.
It has a Cider like yellow colour and not a lot of activity, so if you want a head at all you will have to treat it rough while pouring. I didn’t find a lot of taste in it. It has same sweetness in it but overall quite neutral. Only in combination with the food does it seem to have something of an aroma. So there is not a lot to tell about it. Still, it was quite refressing. But I'm not asking seconds.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

Bierschenker, Feb 22, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +3.3%

Had a few of these brews at a PF Chang’s restaurant. It’s basically an everyday common lager, with a bit more malt flavor than most. Bright yellow color with a respectable head and a grainy smell. There’s a little sweetness up front and a spicy hoppiness in the mid-taste. The beer goes well with food, and is fairly drinkable. Light and airy, simple, and not really any flaws. Unfortunately, it’s also average and uninteresting.

Suds, Feb 20, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation: A short green 355ml bottle.

Appearance: Pale golden and good finger neck. Not wonderful, but still ok.

Smell: Skunky. Traces of hops behind the skunk smell.

Taste: Somewhat weak, somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Very foamy feel and a half-metallic, half-bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: I don't know too much the chinese beer scene, but it seems to be typical to the asian macros. Drinkable, but not exactly an exceptionnal product to compete on the world markets.

Barraclou, Feb 14, 2005
1.8/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nasty. Talk about a skunky macrobrew. Pours a very light yellow with a bit of white head that is gone very quickly. Smells of skunky hops, and not much else. Tastes like watered-down american macrobrew, but has a strangeness to it that I cannot identify. A unique tinge of flavor, perhaps resulting from the regional Chinese ingredients used. Mouthfeel is almost like a sprite - extremely carbonated, but not much else. I guess it's drinkable, if you can stand the taste.

kosmoraios, Feb 06, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +39.5%

At first sip, it tastes like many cheap euro-lagers. But after a few more, it's better character comes out. Light-bodied feel, bread-like malt flavor, backed by hops, slightly sweet (but not too sweet) crisp finish. Reminds me of Bitburger. I imagine it would go great with spicy Oriental dishes. This is what American macros should taste like.

wolf26, Feb 02, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +28.6%

Originating in 1903. when German's founded a brewery in the coastal seaport of Shantung ( now Shandong) it is now brewed in 48 major Chinese cities and is the King of Chinese export beers. Figuring any beer in Jackson's Great Beer Guide was worth a try I found it very refreshing, light and easy to drink. Went exceptionally well with my choice spicy Chinese dishes from our Mid. Missouri "Mandarian Garden's" food bar.

Showed a typical Pils-lager gold color and white head. I was not able to detect any skunkyness in its light body. A small black (freshness?) code is imprinted directly on the green glass bottle's neck. Quality grain was prominate in the taste as I drank to clear the spiced salmon and begin my next dish. It's flavor was interesting and was noticable inspite of the food I was eating.
There is a slight hop presence, with a odd, yet quite pleasant sweetness. I detected a little spice (ginger?) as the mid-taste fades. It is said to be the most hopped of the Chinese beers.

I'm not quite ready for a 6 pack, but I will have have it again - maybe for Chinese New Year's (Feb 8th and 9th) - and raise my glass of "Green Island" beer to the start of the Year of the Rooster!

karst, Feb 02, 2005
2.8/5  rDev +1.4%

I had a bottle of this while out having some Thai food. This was the best choice of a bad bunch. 12 oz green bottle with no apparent freshness dating.

The beer poured a bright darkish yellow. Crystal clear with a decent head that quickly receded. No real lacing.

The beer smelled sweet and somewhat skunky. A hint of spice lurked behind the skunk aroma.

The beer did not taste that bad. It is sweet with just a hint of bitterness. The hops add a bit of peppery taste. The beer is not complex but it did lack that adjunct funk which is ok by me. After smelling the beer, I was glad that the skunkiness did not carry over to much to the taste.

The mouthfeel and drinkabilty are solidly average. The beer does hold up well to spicy food so that is a point in its favor.

Redrover, Jan 31, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +19.6%

What to say about this beer? it is unusual by domestic stand points or even most international. while i isnt horrable it does leave a bit to be desired. Moderate flovor, not weak, not potent. About this biterness of a back, but with not as clean a flavor. All in all not a horrable beer, but one i cant see drinking every day

twi1609372, Jan 26, 2005
2.98/5  rDev +8%

Foamed like a rabid dog when I poured it, capping the pale yellow liquid beneath.

Smell wasn't skunked(whew!) and really didn't have any aroma that stood out. Just smelled like a macro.

Taste was rather inobtrusive, much better than crappy macros, but still seemed a little weak. Sweet malt and water with light hops.

Goes down rather easily and left me refreshed after shoveling out from the 4+ feet of sow we've recieved over the past week (desert climate my ass!).

Rather drinkable if you need something refreshing.

KoG, Jan 09, 2005
1.58/5  rDev -42.8%

Clear gold body, small fizzy white head. Smells of skunked grass malts, and not much else. Taste is thin and weak, only a couple hints of grassy malt breaks through the watered down flavor. What's the point of this beer? Get american macros that are better for less.

TastyTaste, Dec 29, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a pale straw color with a thin spritzy head that leaves decent lace. The aroma is mostly of grassy hops with crackers and a slight malt sweetness to balance. Theres also a distinctive yeast smell. The taste is somewhat hoppy with a dry firm malt base. I think I detect rice flavors. The mouthfeel is light bodied though quite crisp, I guess from the yeast strain/and or carbonation. This beer is hoppier than most macro lagers and is therefore better (to me).

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 23, 2004
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.