1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tsingtao - Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

TsingtaoTsingtao

poor

good

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. visit their website
China

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tsingtao Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,092 | Reviews: 523 | Show All Ratings:
notchucknorris

1.78/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Really pale golden color with a thin and quickly receding white head.

S: Skuuunky. A bit of yeast and pale malt as well.

T: Luckily, the taste wasn't skunky like the smell. Unfortunately, it still wasn't good. A bit of lemon and pale malt and maybe a bit of boiled corn. Strange sour grainy taste on finish. Not really a fan.

02-14-2012 06:00:05 | More by notchucknorris
Pdu8s

1.35/5  rDev -51.1%

A- It is as though this beer was designed for someone that thought Coors light was too dark. It is almost transparent, and the green bottle can cause skunking to occur.

S- Smell is not really there, you can definitely smell the alcohol. fruity, light

T- begins with an almost lemon-grass taste, ends with a grainy, bready yeasty taste. Alcohol tastes very much present in back of mouth throughout drinking

M- Water like consistency, doesn't feel like beer at all (which I guess can be a good thing, if you are new to beer...)

O- I had high expectations for this beer, as I had a professor of Chinese studies highly recommend it. Apparently, she has never had any other kind of beer. The only good thing about this beer is that it is not more readily available in the United States.

02-01-2012 06:04:01 | More by Pdu8s
InturnlDemize

Quebec (Canada)

1.75/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a very light yellow-gold. Almost like an apple juice. Head is non-existant 30 seconds after pouring.

The smell is over powering of skunk. a hint of sweetness can also be smelled.

There is very little taste to this beer, no complex flavors at all. Slightly over carbonated.

Would definitely not recommend.

01-31-2012 04:54:56 | More by InturnlDemize
Ruger

Kentucky

3.55/5  rDev +28.6%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a white one finger head that dissipates very quickly no lacing.

S - Yeast very very very light hops not much going on.

T - I haven't had many adjunct lagers at all, but this one seems extremely good towards the style, light hops, wheat, and buttery corn on the cob. No skunk at all which surprised me because of the green bottle.

M - Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation considering I don't like over-carbonated stuff.

O - Wow, I would like to drink this with some Chinese food.

01-06-2012 04:41:01 | More by Ruger
thegodfather2701

2.6/5  rDev -5.8%

I had this with some Japanese food the other day. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It is straw yellow with a thin fizzy white head that dissipates immediately leaving no lacing. It smells slightly skunky with a hint of Noble hops and somewhat grassy. The taste is similar to the nose as there is a hint of hop bitterness but is dominated by the malts. Not a lot of flavor. The mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Overall, nothing special but I didn't expect it to be. I will probably never drink this again.

01-04-2012 01:49:49 | More by thegodfather2701
jsisko01

3.63/5  rDev +31.5%

Appearance - Pours a clear yellow color with a centimeter thick head that dissipates pretty quickly. Has nice lacing.

Smell - Very skunky, grassy, and has a fruity/citrus smell to it.

Taste - Grainy, grassy, hints of bread and lemon, and bitter at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and carbonation.

Overall - Tastes similar to Lowenbrau.. So if you like imported, premium type lagers this is for you.

12-12-2011 02:06:56 | More by jsisko01
cbutova

2.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember me and my friends used to sort of joke about this beer before I was into craft beer at all. They got it once randomly and we all thought it was definitely better than Coors and Bud Light.

A- Ultra-uber pale pour, clearer color than ginger ale even. When it was pouring out of the bottle it looked clear. Small white head forms to about a pinky in size but dies down quickly, it had a creamy texture. Cloud and ring remain leaving no lace.

S- Not much going on here, I get an aroma comparable to Budweiser and Coors Regular. Really faint overall, maybe just slight hints of yeast bread, tiny fruits and light sugars.

T- A bit more going on here. General sweet grain being the biggest thing followed by some yeast bread and light fruits. A bit of a grassy apple juice sweet feel. Slight vegetal notes with warmth.

MF- Highly carbonated light body that stings the palate a bit. A bit watery with a slight bitter finish.

Really not bad when nice and cold. As it warms up just a bit, the flaws of the style start to show, it is hard to describe but it must just lack a balance that beer brewed with more hops and malt displays.

12-05-2011 02:49:28 | More by cbutova
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

330 mL bottle; no freshness date apparent. I've never had this before because I wasn't willing to buy six green bottles shipped from Asia, but I saw this bottle in the singles bin and figured I'd tick it.

Pours a pale, yellow straw colour, with about a finger of soapy white head that is gone within a minute or two, leaving behind a filmy cap on the surface. Skunky aroma at first, but beyond that the smell is kind of nice for the style - light fruit, akin to apple juice, alongside grains and grass. Some floral notes as well.

The taste is enjoyable enough for the style. Mostly grainy, with some (probable) rice adjunct and pale malt sweetness. Notes of grassy hay and lemon as well, with a slightly dry finish. Clean aftertaste. Thin-bodied and kind of watery, with heavy macro carbonation for a very crisp mouthfeel.

A decent adjunct lager, well-balanced with no genuinely annoying flaws to gripe about. Refreshing and serviceable enough, but I doubt most people would have trouble finding a cheaper domestic equivalent. Not really worth trying, unless you're at a Chinese restaurant and don't have other options.

11-19-2011 00:28:29 | More by thehyperduck
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.84/5  rDev +2.9%

Into a pint glass (green bottle at Thai Gardens, Freeport):

A: light yellow body, small bright white head quickly dissipated

S: alcohol, light grains, corn, rice

T: slightly sweet, but slightly bland after it warmed a bit, lemon bite at the end

M: light, bitter aftertaste and finish, sessionable

O: decent, and probably only come back to it depending upon what else was served

11-08-2011 20:31:25 | More by BeerKangaroo
DrewSnyc667

3.11/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle poured Into a Pilsener glass

A - standard fizzy yellow liquid, some head with a bit of lacing
S - a spicy but slightly metallic nose
T - body is slightly adjuncty but there is a sweetness to the malt that is very tasty
M - Very smooth, very light with a slightly sweet finish
O - a pretty basic lager, but perfect for Chinese food

11-05-2011 00:54:11 | More by DrewSnyc667
Mar02x

Netherlands

2.78/5  rDev +0.7%

I drunk this beer at the Chinese restaurant Dax-In in town.

A - A light yellow beer with a white head that quickly disappears. Exactly like a lager.

S - If you smell this beer next to a Heineken it is quite good actually. Light fruity and slightly sweet.

T - There is no corn to be tasted in this beer and to me that is a plus. A good beer but a bit on the watery side.

M - Medium carbonation and a little bitterness at the end, nothing wrong with that.

O - This beer is a bit to light to when drinking it with spicy dishes. The beer is easy to drink and therefore it is a real thirst quencher.

10-20-2011 19:15:23 | More by Mar02x
Duhast500

Rhode Island

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tasting cup.

The color is a clear yellow/orange with a slight wisp of white foamy that disappears quickly. Looks a lot like ginger ale.

The smell has a strong rice smell. There is a big of a corn aroma with some slight touches of some pilsner malts.

The taste is has slight malt flavor that is surrounded by more rice and corn flavor throughout. There may be a small bitterness that is given at the very end.

This beer does not thrill but it does have a smooth feel that seems to slide across the tongue and goes down with little effort.

10-14-2011 22:11:12 | More by Duhast500
RollTide05

3.38/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to review this beer because I live in China and it is the most famous Chinese beer. I actually like it for and adjunct lager. It is very drinkable and has a tiny bit of hops to it. The beer also has a little richness as well, which I like.

I really enjoy this beer for an everyday drinker but tend to find it a bit under carbonated. It leaves virtually no head... not surprising for this category of beer but it tends to taste a bit flat to me. I also must mention that I have always noticed a soapy taste to Tsingtao. I know what you are thinking, wash your glasses better! I know what I am doing though. I have a great glass collection and only use hot water and baking soda to clean them. Still, I always notice a mysterious soapy taste which is strange. It does have a certain sweetness as well which makes this beer stand out in this category to me.

Overall a good adjunct and I much prefer it to Budweiser and the like. I don't need to be eating Chinese food to enjoy it.

Serving type: can

09-25-2011 16:21:18 | More by RollTide05
cagocubs

2.38/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from bottle into glass.

A: Pours a lighter gold with no full head at any point of the pour. Any head quickly dissapeared rapidly. Bland looking.

S: Skunky smell like a euro adjunct. Some barley, but mostly watery.

T: Some barely maybe some yeast. Not much going on. Water is the majority taste. Its crisp, but lacks any flavor.

D: Crisp and light bodied. Watery.

O: It looks like I won't be in the market for any Chinese beers after this one.

09-08-2011 01:15:46 | More by cagocubs
bluHatter

1.3/5  rDev -52.9%

I bought this beer to have with some chinese takeout. The takeout was great, but the beer didn't leave me wanting more.

A: clear, light bronze. Poured with a small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.

S: Cardboard, damp citrusy-sugar

T: Pale malty citrus with a skunky finish. It tastes a lot like it smells, but not as easy to escape from. It is a beer that had me swallowing quickly rather than savoring it in my mouth.

M: Watery, little to no carbonation.

O: Unfortunately, I didn't like this beer at all, even paired with chinese food, which I was hoping would go good with it. I'm looking at the full glass I have left and wondering if I'll be able to finish it.

09-05-2011 23:17:28 | More by bluHatter

Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: 12 oz. green bottle
Glassware: Nondescript small glass
Purchased: Chinese restaurant in Hendersonville, TN

A clear, light yellow beer with maybe a finger of white head that dissipates quickly.

Smells are faint, of light pale malts and rice or other adjuncts.

Taste is fairly bland, with a light malt sweetness and slight bittering from the hops. There is a lemon fruitiness as well.

Mouthfeel is thin for the body and a moderate level of carbonation. Not really much aftertaste at all.

Overall, this is a fairly bland lager, but it is my go-to beer at the Chinese buffet. It's the only Chinese beer I typically see in local Chinese restaurants and I prefer it to any domestic macros or just having water at dinner. Certainly nothing great in a beer, but its not bad either.

09-03-2011 04:31:51 | More by sommersb
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, finger of white head with little retention or lacing.

S - The grassy hop notes come through alongside some sour lemons and a hint of cider.

T - Mild on the tongue with the grassy notes dominating, and a grainy biscuit malt on the finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet on the finish.

O - Easily drinkable, and a bit more flavourful than most mass produced export ales, but still rather weak. Great cottage drinking ale, or the kind you crave after mowing the lawn.

08-30-2011 12:06:17 | More by andrenaline
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

2.08/5  rDev -24.6%

330ml bottle 4,7% Abv
Served cold in a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Wow, this is one of the lightest lagers I have had. Super pale yellow with a small white head that dissipates very quickly and leaves no lace.

Smell: Interesting nose, sweet grain, buttery, cooked vegetables and a touch of floral hops. Not offensive like many macros.

Taste: Not as good as the smell - sweet adjuncts, vegetable notes, slightly metallic with almost no hop character.

Mouthfeel: Light body and over carbonated.

Overall: Not too bad, but still not a beer I would drink. IMO there are better Asian lagers to have with Chinese food.

08-18-2011 20:03:53 | More by Thehuntmaster
ranger7

2.78/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - Very light in color. Bright white head which dissipates quickly.

S - Smells a little. Nothing really of note, some definite alcohol notes, smells similar to a Bud.

T - Has a bite. A little bitter, some lemon. Not good by itself, much better with some Asian cuisine.

M - Thin. Not really carbonated.

Summary - I'm really not impressed by this brew. Again, not good by itself, but decent with some food. Wouldn't really recommend.

08-14-2011 19:21:10 | More by ranger7
rickyleepotts

Arizona

This beer smells a lot like a lager… hence that it's an American Adjunct Lager. Not sure what the adjunct means, but hey… it smells good. I am sitting here with some buddies, and a guy just took a whiff… he said it smells like "rotten lemons". Um, rotten lemons? Has he ever been in a room with a rotten lemon? Not sure where he gets that from, but hey… this guy likes to hang out with rotten fruit I guess!

Anyway, I think this beer smells incredible. It does have a small hint of citrus. But I wouldn't call it rotten. Look… he made me mad. Now all I can think about is a dirty rotten lemon! Let's see if it tastes better than it smells. I hope. It's VERY clear, so I hope there is some carbonation in there.

There is… and there is some insane sour coming at me here. When I see a beer that is in a language that I can't pronounce, I want to grab some sushi and hang out on the patio. But I feel like I have had this bar before. At any rate, it tastes a lot better than it smells. That sour… right off the bat. I like that. And it sticks around for a little bit too.

This beer is crisp, would be great on the porch watching the sun go down. This has to be the Chinese Budweiser. At any rate, it's good. Maybe one day when I visit China I can drink one with the natives. Yummy! Bottoms up people.

08-09-2011 02:59:18 | More by rickyleepotts
Derranged

3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

Had this at a Chinese-Japanese restaurant. 12 ounce bottle poured into a some sort of 12 oz glass.

A- Pale-clear yellow in color with a thick white head that disappeared quickly with no lacing.

S- Sweet malts with slight lemon zest and just a hint of some floral notes.

T- Surprisingly sweet. Sweet malts dominate, was grainy there was some very slight lemon and hop flavors as well. To me this seems like more of "all malt" beer, which would make it more of a Euro Pale Lager. I don't know if this should be classified as an American adjunct lager.

M- Thin, lots of carbonation.

O- Better than what I expected. Nothing special at all, its not a beer I would seek out or drink regularly. But its a decent option in a Chinese restaurant because Chinese restaurants normally do not have good beer selections. I would drink this again.

08-07-2011 23:21:47 | More by Derranged
UCLABrewN84

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours a crystal clear light yellow with a 1 inch bubbly head that settles to a thin film on the top of the beer. Thin broken rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted grain, corn flakes, and grassy/herbal aromas. Taste is of the toasted grains, corn flakes, and slight honey. This beer has a pretty average mouthfeel with a crisp and bubbly texture. Overall, this is my first beer from China and I think it's pretty good for what it is.

08-06-2011 22:21:34 | More by UCLABrewN84
brewskifan55

Mississippi

2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Very light head, disappears almost immediately; slight lacing to the glass. Light yellow color. (I agree with another reviewer: almost looks like urine)

S: Lemon, yeast, rice

T: Citrus-y with a nice backbite.

M: Light

O: Not bad, just leaves you wanting more. Light for a lager; would probably do well with heavier, spicy Asian food.

08-06-2011 16:04:14 | More by brewskifan55
zeledonia

2.15/5  rDev -22.1%

This was one of the few options at a Vietnamese place I went to, so I decided to give it a shot. Bottled isn't dated. Does this stuff really come all the way from China?

Pours a very pale golden yellow, kinda like urine, with a tiny little white head that disappears in an instant. No lacing, not even any bubbles on the surface. Very little carbonation visible. Looks like water with a bit of food coloring.

Smells like, well, like a weak pale lager. I get almost nothing in the nose. A bit of hops and pale malt, but that's it.

Taste has a bit more to it. A bit of tingly hops, not strong enough to really call them bitter, but they do bring some flavor. Weak, light, and mostly flavorless.

Watery mouthfeel. There's a brief burst of carbonation as soon as it hits my mouth, but after that it's totally flat.

This is beer? I will say, it didn't actually taste bad. But it didn't taste good either. I'd rather drink water.

08-04-2011 22:09:32 | More by zeledonia
dbaker61

2.65/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a heavy pint mug at Old Jacks, Qingdao, China.

Appearance: Light yellow color. Crystal clear, with copious tiniy bubbles supporting about two fingers of foam, which had average retention. The head left crescents of lacing as the beer was quaffed.

Smell: Slight sweet smell of malt and other cereal grains, especially rice.

Taste: Typical of major brewer adjuct lagers. Very little bitterness, a small amount of sweetness, a little frathouse sourness.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, it has adequate carbonation. Leaves the palate with a hint of sweetness. Finishes dry.

Overall: Fine for sessioning, good for washing down snacks, but can't stand on it's own. Very comparable to the other world's large brewers, which is both its blessing and its curse. I will inevitably have it again, as I currently live here in the home of Tsingtao Beer, but if given a choice I would pick something with more flavor.

07-18-2011 07:51:10 | More by dbaker61
Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.