Just Drink It, Dummy! - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Just Drink It, Dummy!Just Drink It, Dummy!

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 05-06-2014

We originally brewed Just Drink It, Dummy for our tap takeover at Emporium Arcade Bar in Wicker Park as a one off, but we really dug the beer (it's a double IPA with sorachi ace hops) so we decided to make more! The label "art" comes from "Strong" Mike Schallau. Puns puns puns....
Ratings: 100 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by jgunther71:

Not terribly horrible, not that great...

Pours a bright golden orange and looks mighty fine in the sun.

Caramel malt, lemon and orange zest and some pine.

Light lemon zest, spicy hops, and a floral finish make this a nice summer time brew.

Mouthfeel is bold with a bitter finish.

Overall another very solid DIPA from Pdubs.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

22 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present, "Batch # Don't worry about it" on the label. Bottle lists an 8.00% abv. The label is pretty minimal in comparison to their usual fare.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a nice burnt sienna orange colored body. About two fingers of fluffy frothy white head that leaves behind nice thin lacing. Looks very nice.

S - The aroma is nice, but differs from the usual Pipeworks DIPA fare. The aroma on this one is lighter, with a woodsy, slight toffee / vanilla like smells creeping out. Lightly grassy & musty.

T - Taste is the same - a very woodsy, caramel / vanilla / toffee forward beer. I'm not sure if it is the Sorachi Ace hops, or if the beer has fallen off from being where ever it was for the past three months. Either way, it is still delicious.

M - The feel is typical of the style, especially for these guys I would say. Not the usual resinous / piney hop bitterness though. Smooth & creamy. Easy drinking for the moderately high abv. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, an interesting DIPA from Pipeworks, but it is definitely not my favorite. I would much prefer any of their other IPA's or DIPA's that I've had within the last year. I wish I could get my hands on some of the Pipeworks Attack Of The Devil's Lettuce, though.

Pipeworks Just Drink It, Dummy! ---4/5.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 583-584

Bomber poured into a 12 oz snifter.

Pours a soft and hazy golden color. Lacing nicely. Smell is all hop, lemon deliciousness. I really love this taste, lemon, dill, and coconut stand out. I feel like there is a nice malt base to this, but I can't focus on it because dose hops.

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice murky golden tan. Not a familiar look but still appetizing. Scent is hard to describe. I just can't find a corresponding scent. Taste is unusual. I like it but don't love it. I don't know much about sorachi ace as a hop, but the scent and taste are vaguely familiar. While this is a solid beer, I'm not sure I'd pursue beers based on this hop in the future. I'm glad I tried it, and it is well made, but it doesn't fit my taste in hops.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good but unique DIPA. First beer I've seen using the sorachi ace hop as the main focus. Won't get the best rating because it doesn't have the somewhat consistent premier DIPA taste to it, but it is very good and in my opinion great change of pace from the other DIPA's I've had.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch #583-584. Pours a nice honey amber with half inch head. Decent lacing throughout. Smell is sweet, almost tropical, with lemon zest and bubble gum as the beer warms up. Taste is very nice with zesty hop foward profile, hints of lemon meringue, with a resinous bitter aftertaste that dissapates quickly. Nice balance of malt comes through, plesently surprising, as beer warms up. An outstanding double IPA that gets better as you drink it.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to Rado for sharing this one at Wowcoolman's tasting.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical fruit flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with nice tropical fruit qualities all around.

Serving type: bottle.

4.96/5  rDev +21.9%

Fantastic, great, delicious, hoppy, fruity!

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Very cloudy orange yellow in color. Forms a moderate sized light, creamy, light yellow colored head. Some moderate lacing. Aroma is hop forward. Unsurprisingly there is a lot of citrus: lemon, lime, and bright orange along with some lighter, sweet pale malts. Taste is similar. A somewhat sweet beer, though not necessarily a malty one. Again there is a lot of citrus. Lemon and lime dominate with some stronger citrus zest and a bit of pine in the mix. Alcoholic pungency. Appreciable bitterness and even a mild astringency. Moderate carbonation. Typically I'm not a fan of the Sorachi Ace (and let me say there is no way this is a 100% Sorachi beer), but this is a pretty good beer. I like the sweetness blended with the citrus and balanced with the bitterness.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Smells a bit like an artificial tropical drink.
Then it tastes like a coconut oil lotion mixed into a pot of hops.

Don't really dig drinking it, but it might do wonders for my skin.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Another really solid IPA offering by Pipeworks. Had this on tap at their CCBW tap takeover event at the Emporium Beercade earlier today and really enjoyed it. Heard a cool story from Jeff about it that this was the base beer for their 18th street collab Attack of the Devil's Lettuce minus the coffee.

I thought it was cool because I don't know if they'll ever bottle it or when I'll ever have another chance to try it. Like most Pdubs beer, this had a great smell. lots of grapefruit / other citrus type fruits and floral aromas. Not overly bitter or too crazy hopped, but just a really refreshing IPA that I'd love to enjoy more as the summer "heats" up.

Just Drink It, Dummy! from Pipeworks Brewing Company