End Of Days - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 01-23-2012

End of Days is our tribute to the coming of the end... of the Maya calendar! We’ve aged this milk stout with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and ancho chilies. The result is a rich chocolaty stout, with just a hint of spice. We hope you’ll enjoy this beer before the End of Days.

The first bottled release clocked in at 6.1%, but subsequent releases will feature a tweaked recipe and ~8.5% ABV.

Batch #2 - 6.1%
Batch #12 - 8.2%

22oz, bottled 3/29/13
The Bruery tulip

A: Deep dark brown color. Not a lot of light getting through. Light tan head. Specs of lacing. Good carbo.

S: Milk chocolate. Sweet lactose. Creamy. Not catching too much spice on the nose.

T: Touch if spice. Milk chocolate. Some bitterness from roast and coffee.

M: Full bodied. Creamy. (330 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

650ml bomber. Bottled on Feb 25, 2012.

It pours a dark brownish black with a multi-hued fizzy tan head that quickly dissipates with no lacing.

The smell is definitely reminiscent of Mexican chocolate. I think closer to the mass-produced ones but with an extra hint of dark fruit coming from the anchos.

The flavor is decent. Very spicy but not hot spicy, with just a tiny bit of heat in the throat. Mostly cinammon and even what is liek a nutmeg flavor. Bitter cocoa and coffee are the main flavors though. There is a hint of fruitiness but not too much.

It is a decent beer. (580 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

Batch 106

Initally, I was going to be lazy and just mark this by a had, but as I was finishing my beer I decided there were a lot of things working for and against this beer... Due to this, the old "pet then strike" method of approach will be used in this review.

I liked the amount of heat that was provided from the anchos. In particular, I have always preferred anchos over, say chipotles... IMO Poblano peppers have a more interesting flavor profile than jalapeños. That being said, I think the flavorful spices take a backseat here. The cacao nibs are more obvious, but I would not have guessed vanilla beans were ever present.To me, the lactose helps the mouthfeel; the slight appearance of sweetness is not noticeable, however it does give it a slick mouthfeel that I appreciate.

Do not try this and expect Hunahpu, but overall this beer is worth a try for those who enjoy chile beer. (895 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

A- Pours black with two fingers of tan head, slowly recede to a ring around the edge.

S- Lots of green, freshly cut chilies, blends pretty well with dark chocolate, cocoa and cinnamon for a rounded spicy aroma.

T- Moderate chili heat up front, has a roasted center of bitter dark chocolate, some coffee and cocoa and cinnamon, towards the end the chili returns with a lingering spice and juicy chili flavor.

M- Medium bodied, smooth and very creamy feel, good amount of heat from the peppers.

O- An excellent chili beer that blends the chilies, spice, and chocolate really well. This is my first beer from Pipeworks and I'm extremely impressed, this is a really awesome, tasty brew.

EDIT: The newer blue wax batch is considerably better than the older batches. Well done! (777 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

Dark brown color with a nice fluffy beige head.

Smells of cocoa and char with a light cinnamon spice.

The taste is just strange, to say the least. The cocoa is nice, but the peppers contribute an overwhelming vegetal and earthy flavor. This beer has a spicy heat in the finish unlike any beer I've had before. It leaves my tongue stinging ever-so-slightly.

Mouthfeel is a little prickly for a milk stout. It's not terrible, but milk stouts are usually silky smooth and this is not.

This was a little dissapointing for my first beer from them, although I'm expecting much better with future offerings. The chiles just threw this way out of wack. (652 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Served in a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours black with a 2 finger light brown head. Spotty lacing resides quickly.

S- cinnamon and peppers dominate the aroma with a hint of chocolate.

T- sweet chocolate, cinnamon and peppers.

M- light body and carbonation. Peppers give it a nice kick at the finish.

O- good and interesting beer. Another sign of good things to come from Pipeworks. (380 characters)

22oz bottle into a snifter. Batch 12 (blue wax).

A: Pours a thick brownish-black with a nice tan head.

S: Slight vinegary green chile and chocolate. Vanilla comes out as it warms.

T: More vegetal ancho, roasted grain, and chocolate. Vanilla pokes through the pepper. Slight tingly spice on the tongue, and a pleasant heat grows as the glass drains.

M: Slight carbonation, medium-to-thick and silky.

O: Not a big fan of chile beers, but this is pretty good. Really nice heat profile. (487 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz Bomber poured into a Pint glass

A - dark brown with a small head that rapidly dissipated, there was evident carbonation but retention was lacking a bit.

S - roasted coffee and bitter chocolate is the first thing that hits you, a following of spice and cinnamon at the end.

T - the chocolate is the first flavor followed by the roasted coffee. a slight dryness or burning in the throat hints at the chili.

M - body seems a bit light for the style, carbonation was adequate, but the pepper aftertaste was a bit off for me. might be an interesting beer to cook with.

O - overall i would say this is an average beer that needs some refining. needs a bit more body to hide the chili a bit more. their two batches were quite a bit different, maybe next batch will be better. (780 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11%

22 oz. bottle served in a mini taster snifter. Bottled February 25, 2012.

A: Pours a black color with brown edges. A thin off white head forms on the pour and dissipates to a thin ring.

S: Smells of strong cinnamon, light vanilla, some lactose sugar and some pale malts.

T: More emphasis on the cinnamon and the ancho chilis finally come out with a nice warming finish.

M: Super thin, almost bordering on watery. There is a slight pepper heat on the finish.

O: I had this on tap at Stout Fest and it was fuller bodied and more flavorful. I'm not sure if there some variation between the bottle and the kegs they have, but seek it out on tap if you can.

**Updated for new batch**

22 oz. bottle served in a Pipeworks snifter. Batch #62

A: Pours a dark black color with a khaki head forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin collar.

S: Cinnamon and chilies up front. Mild chocolate fudge with some roast to it.

T: Fudgey and chocolaty with a great cinnamon spice to it. The chilies aren't at all vegetal and give a great warming spice in the periphery. The finish is sweet with a hint of vanilla and lingering spice in the throat. Very tasty.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with a low carbonation level. Creamy mouthfeel with a spicy and sweet mouthfeel.

O: This is the best batch yet. Absolutely delicious. Leaps and bounds better than the original batch. Great mouthfeel, full bodied and great underlying spice. (1,426 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -52.7%

From notes.

The beer itself is a brown color, nearly black with a bubbly off-white head. The bubbly white head is the first sign of problems for a stout.

Chiles, or more realistically, chile oil pops out into the nose. I may be imagining it, but a little bit of chocolate and roasted malt would be the only thing behind it.

The taste is pretty bad. The flavor is really flat, with no real milk stout character. There is some chile and oil, with just a bit of roasted malt in the back.

This is thin, kind of dry, oily, watery, and spicy to the point where it overwhelms the other flavors.

This is the poorest, ok the homeless man’s Hunahpu’s. If you are looking for a beer that is dark like Hunahpu’s but you want a terrible beer instead, this is the beer for you. 5 of us could not finish a bottle of this. It is hilariously bad. I can’t finish a sample-sized pour of it. (885 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Founders snifter. No batch number listed. Blue wax on cap. From a recent batch.

Bottle foamed everywhere upon opening. This is definitely overcarbed. Reminds me of my first homebrew stout.

Appearance is dark brown, opaque. Entire glass of foam initially. No head after the beer settles.

Aroma is sweet, chocolate, smoke, spice, vanilla.

Taste is sweet, dr pepper, some vanilla, dark cherry, smoke, lingering spice and very mild bitterness.

Mouth feel is on the thin side, over carbonated, sticky

Overall I'm sure other batches of this are better. Hopefully they come out with an imperial version and fix the carbonation issue (646 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Batch 106. Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my snifter.

A – Pours a dark murky brown, with a very thin head that quickly disappears. A bit of light is able to penetrate the liquid at the very edges. No visible carbonation or lacing.

S – A nice creamy, roasted stout sweetness. The lactose character of the milk stout is very prominent. A nice complex vanilla character as well, with the chilies poking their head in at the last second.

T – A nice chocolate and vanilla beginning, with the roasted malts tying everything together. The cinnamon and lactose character hold up the mid-palate. The finish is filled with chocolate covered chilies, like a high-quality Mexican hot chocolate. There is an awesome burn in the aftertaste, that is pleasantly spicy without being overwhelming.

M – Very creamy mouthfeel, without much carbonation at all. A little fuller than medium and slightly sticky.

O – Man, this definitely exceeded my expectations. This is extremely well-balanced between the traditional chocolate character of the milk stout, the creamy vanilla and the heat from the chilies. Color me impressed. (1,122 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Of the Pipeworks releases I have had, this is probably my least favorite. It was not so much a bad beer as it was a very average release for Pipeworks. Pouring a black color into the sampler glass, the aroma was a chalky sort of chocolate aroma. On the initial, one notes fruity dark chocolate. It begins warm toward the back of the throat and develops a sort of spiciness with accompanying hints of fruit. I never really sensed the creaminess of milk stout, and I probably would have never known lactose sugar was present were it not for the label suggesting a milk stout. To me, it seemed more like a weak Russian Imperial Stout than a Milk Stout. (649 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a FFF tulip

A - Dark brown that poured with a quickly disappearing head. It had a ton of carbonation that was jumping out of it. Given the color and carbonation, it actually reminded me of a glass of coke.

S - Dark chocolate and roasted coffee with a slight vanilla hint. There is also a slight chili and cinnamon spice that you catch near the end.

T - Light chocolate and vanilla are the first flavors. As the beer continues, the cinnamon spice and pepper heat pick up to give the beer a kick. The roasted coffee comes in on the end to add a level of complexity with the spice. Overall, this has more of a kick than I expected

MF - Light and slightly watery with medium carbonation. It has a bit of a tingle and heat that remains on the tongue from the peppers and cinnamon.

O - End of Days is a good pepper and cinnain stout that reminds me of a less robust version of Huna. It has great spice and light heat but the base stout is less flavorful and robust that you find in the best of this style. (1,024 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours dark with a short off white head. No lacing, no retention, not a super pretty beer. Aroma more than makes up for the appearance. Ancho chilies are probably the best use of the ingredient I have come across. Chilies are sweet and fruity with lots of cocoa and a bit of smoke. It reminds me of a spicy cinnamon brownie. Aroma is exactly as described. Flavor has a nice chili spice, a bit of cocoa, mild fruity roast. The mouthfeel is a bit lighter, but still really nice. Creamy carbonation and very smooth. This beer is outstanding. Very well made with a lot of great characteristics. (589 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Decent appearance, thin collar, not too sticky. Mohogony body.

Big cinnamon. Sharp ancho spice, bits of light toast, where is the vanilla. Chocolate?

Tastes... Weird. Bright cinnamon, burning ancho heat, finishes capsaicin. Hot, burning. Green vegetal pepper and dirt.

Thin, long lasting cinnamon and ancho spice. Decent carb. vlots of heat. Sensitive ninnys need not apply.

Not as good as previous release, but not bad. (426 characters)

Was poured into a snifter at 55 degrees.
Batch# 29, 650mL bottle with blue wax on top.

Appearance: Pours opaque black, rich brown half finger head that resides to a spotted lacing, leaves a syrupy looking lacing on the sides of the glass. Just beautiful!

Aroma: The smell is very complex, decadent and you’re immediately hit with the four most prominent ingredients; Chocolate from the cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, and spicy cinnamon and chilies. Also get some roasted malts, red fruit, lingering hops, candy sugar, smooth caramel, and that familiar lactose flavor.

Taste: When you take your first sip it begins with the rich, smooth and inviting flavors; the milk chocolate from the cocoa nibs, caramel, vanilla, a slight roast, the lactose milk, and the dark fruits. The rich, bold flavors’ continue to the mid-palate and lingers to the finish. The spicy cinnamon, pepper and chilies suddenly come through, take off but do not take over or dominate the other characteristics. The spices are pretty mild and they give you an after-burn in the cheeks and throat.

Mouth Feel: Good carbonation when first poured but really disappeared with each swirl and sip that I took. Medium viscosity, coats the mouth, and very slight alcohol in the back end.

Overall: This was a surprise to me and I thought it was very well-crafted milk stout. The characteristics of a smooth rich stout, the spices, vanilla, and the cocoa each standout equally and work together well. I have had only a handful of chili beers so far and I think this was just right for me and the best that I have had by far. This was a winner for me and I will definitely get again if I get another chance. (1,670 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pumped for this one from Pipeworks! It's my first from them. Shared with areich6

A- Pours cola brown with very little head

S- I can smell the light chocolate that is typical of a milk stout with a slight chili scent in the backround

T- Nice chocolate flvors in the front with a slight chili burn in the back of my throat, I'm digging this flavor

M- Epic fail here. Quite watery which leaves me very disappointed

O- I wish this taste accompanied a thicker mouthfeel. Flavor is good but mouthfeel kind of ruins this for me (526 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle from Shane. Consumed April 21st, reviewed from notes.

A: Pour brings out a dull opaque mahogany body with a fizzing mocha head. Head then diminishes into a thin ring. Can see some of the carbonation showing at the surface.

N: A bracing nose of vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon. Roasted malt and coffee. Spice from the anchos shows upon closer inspection. Hints of caramel.

T: Heavy spice from the anchos. There's a moderate mixture of sweetness from the malts and some hop bitterness. However, there isn't quite enough here to stand up to the chilies and that's a shame.

M: Oily, medium mouthfeel. Milk stout lends a pleasant smoothness and alcohol is hidden.

O: A decent beer, but it doesn't explode with flavors like I'd hope. I get a lot of pepper and not much of the ancillary flavors. (806 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 2-25-12

Poured into globe glass with minor light caramel head. Smells of chipotle and a little chocolate and maybe coffee. The chipotle really hides most of the other notes in the smell. Taste is chocolate and cinnamon sweetness up front which carefully fades into a full heat experience from the chipotle. The slight burn continues and chases the beer down your throat. The tingle remains on the back of the palate for a good amount of time. There is very little carbonation.

I love spicy food and spiciness in general and I feel I finally found a beer to satisfy my need for heat. I have had other chile beers before like Mikkeller chipotle porter, 5 Vulture, and Stone vertical 11 and this one is done better than all of those even though EoD is not even classified as a chili beer. I don't drink many milk stouts so I don't want to comment on how it compares in that category. Well done! (905 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +9.4%

Before I really,... really got into craft beers, I took a stroll into my local Binny's and reached for this bottle. I was into DIPA's at the time, although I really enjoyed stouts, until I had encountered Hoptimum by Sierra Nevada. (I love the feel of those tongue-coating beers) That day, I was in the mood for a drinkable chocolate, and I really enjoyed those chili infused chocolates that were popping up here and there. Being of Thai background, I love my heat. This is the stout that sparked by interest in chili chocolate stouts. The chocolate is there. The chili is there, and leaves just enough spice on the tongue to leave you wanting more. Although after being spoiled by Bourbon County's delicious thickness, I immediately thought, "boy, I wish this was an imperial stout with more body", but the flavors are all there and on point. Overall, an enjoyable intro to the chocolate chili world.. as the more you find, the genre just keeps getting better. (961 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours opaque, oily black. There is a light tan head the quickly fades to nothing. Lacing is minimal bordering on non-existent.

S: Some mild chocolatey malts are the first thing I smell, followed quickly by some cinnamon. There is some faint spice as well.

T: At first the taste is similar to many milk stouts. Mild milk chocolate and some roasted malts, vanilla and brown sugar. Then the spices start to assert their flavors. The cinnamon comes through and adds a nice flavor to the beer. The ancho chilies complement this very well. The mild heat they provide almost seems to come out of the cinnamon flavor.

M: Fairly light for such a dark beer and a little bit watery. Carbonation is minimal.

O: Standard milk stout with the interesting addition of spices. Cinnamon and chilies are the most prominent and give a delightful spice. (881 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -22.3%

22oz bottle, batch 62 in a box from ikaika122

This is crazy over-carb'd. Wax cap popped off once I loosened it. First ounce+ out of the bottle filled a small snifter with head. When it settled there was less than 1" in the bottom of the glass.

Smells a bit of cinnamon soap. Once the head dissolves into liquid, there isn't much body left, there isn't much aroma left. And the rest of this suffers quite a bit as a result. The spice notes dominate the taste, not really in a good way. This is a bit like drinking improperly made chai.

Big thanks to ikaika122 for sending a bottle I've been wanting to try, unfortunately this doesn't live up to expectation and is, by far, the weakest of all the Pipeworks offerings I've had. I wouldn't be seeking this out in the bottle again, though I would be curious to see what, if any, difference draft made for this.

Since 3.00 is now 'okay' and not 'average', I think a 3.00 rating across the board is the best this could do and the bottle I had didn't even hit that level.

(204th) (1,027 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours pitch black with little head. The head that is there recedes quickly.

S: Smells pretty good, the cinnamon is very evident. Roasty malts are also prominent.

T: The roasts and cinnamon are quite forward in the beginning, tastes a little sweet. The burn of the peppers this is brewed with lingers in the back of the throat. Pretty unique.

M: This absolutely ruins the beer. It is as light as water. This style of beer, coupled with the flavors that are present, should be much thicker. The lack of viscosity manages to detract from the taste in my opinion.

O: This beer would be pretty good if it was only
thicker. (629 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to rmalinowski4 for this one.

Pours pitch black with 1 finger of dark tan head that recedes to a thin cap.

Roasty stout aromas, cacao nibs, dried red chillies like a New Mexico ristra. As it warms I get a bit of vanilla and caramel sweetness.

Some chili pepper heat up front, a bit tingly, other than that similar to the aroma but more muted.

The mouthfeel was thin, especially for a milk stout. Carbonation was spritzy which accentuates the spice and plays down the vanilla and chocolate.

Overall this is an interesting beer and worth seeking out if you like chili peppers but it doesn't taste much like what I think of when I think of a milk stout. (662 characters)

End Of Days from Pipeworks Brewing Company