Hyper Dog - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Hyper DogHyper Dog

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  7.50% ABV

Jones Dog with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and coffee.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-20-2012)
2.39/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Batch #80
Poured into snifter

Appearance - Dark brown, kinda like black coffee. Minimal caramel-colored head fizzed up and faded. No lacing.

Smell - Cocoa, coffee, roasted malt.

Taste - Strong coffee mixed with boozy cocoa water. Expected something different. Expected more.

Mouthfeel - Very light carbonation. Light watery body. Leaves a slight film as it goes down and fades quickly.

Overall - This is why I hate spending almost $10 on an unknown product. It's not horrible; it's just pretty blah. Definitely not a drain pour, it's just gonna take me a while to finish it. I capped the 90% full bottle, put it in the fridge and cracked a different beer. Sad.

sbxx, Mar 23, 2013

sgoro, Apr 28, 2012

Kaveman, Aug 25, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

A- Jet black stout. medium lacing with great retention.

S- Smells off for a milk stout. I am not getting any noticeable notes; just maybe some oak.

T- I am expecting a smooth, milky stout. This is not what I am getting. I am getting too much carbonation for me to examine this as a milk stout. I am getting a watered-down tobacco taste. Weird.

M- Terrible. The carbonation ruins this milk stout. Too much carbonation goes down the throat, and there is too much on the palate for me to distinguish any proper milk stout characteristics.

O- I was disappointed with this take on a milk stout. Pipeworks has let me down with the two beers that I have had from them.

gueuzedreg, Dec 23, 2013

krl2112, Jul 11, 2013

Ak555667, Nov 14, 2013

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours jet black with a decent sized coffee colored head. No retention and just slight lacing down the glass.

Smells like milk chocolate with some light roast coffee. Can tell there is lactose in this.

More milk chocolate on the palate. Finishes grainy with some coffee notes. While sweet up front, the finish is a bit drier and bitter.

Fairly smooth mouthfeel although it feels a bit thin at times. Finish is slightly astringent.

Not the best beer I've had from Pipeworks. Would have liked to see a more complex flavor profile.

jmarsh123, Jan 31, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A: Pours dark brown to black in color. Forms a thin tan head with no visible carbonation.

S: This smells like cold coffee. And that's really about all I get.

T: Cold coffee is 90% of the flavor here, but it is rounded out a bit by some nice vanilla notes.

M: Thick mouthfeel. Mild bitter coffee hang but it lasts for longer than I'd like.

O: This is an OK beer, but it strikes me as a one trick pony...coffee, coffee & more coffee. The flavors that are present are good; what this beer does it does well. I would have preferred a more complex flavor profile, but if you're looking for a pure coffee-flavored brew, this might be the one for you.

macrosmatic, Jun 09, 2012

jokemon, May 13, 2013

thegerm87, Jul 16, 2013

scottwurst, Oct 08, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown with a nice big tan colored head of foam. Color is nice. Body is clean. Head is holding steady. I think lacing will tell the story here. Lacing is pretty nonexistent. Okay, got near the bottom of the bottle, and something very strange looking dropped in my glass. Not cool. Gonna drain pour. Can't see what it is -- so definitely not going to drink it. I only hope it was sediment.

S: Coffee aromas front-and-center. Smell is similar to Founders RIS -- only here I can't really tell if it's the coffee or roasted malts I'm smelling. Vanilla is holding steady over the dark chocolate. Not smelling any hops or anything like that, though. Not bad here.

T: Taste a little flat to be honest. Not tasting any quality malts. The coffee flavor comes and goes very quickly. I don't have a problem with that, but nothing really remains after that. It more or less taste like your average milk stout -- this vanilla is coming through now. We'll see how it continues to change and evolves as the brew warms. *Sweetness starting to comes through as beer warms. Tasting vanilla more, but that's not really pushing the score.

M: Felt a little flat at first. Maybe that's because it's not as creamy as I would have though. Medium body. Medium carbonation -- decently done. Not much chewiness. Honestly, pretty average feel for me.

O: Not exactly sure what I was expecting. When you're selling beer for $9 a bombers then you think it's going to be something special. And, this just isn't that. There is a little age of this -- not even a year, though. So, I expected the coffee flavor to be mild. What's left is pretty average for the most part.

C20Percent, Feb 02, 2013