Citra - Pipeworks Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-15-2012

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.
Ratings: 1,181 | Reviews: 109
4.21/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the best Imperial IPA's I've had. Very tasty and hides the alcohol very well.

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My first taste of Pipework, and I can't say that I'm not impressed. Very similar flavor profile to Zombie Dust, although much more in-your-face. Juicy citrus notes with astringent bitterness all the way through.

4.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My first Pipeworks beer back in 2013, and I've been a convert ever since. Really, just a fantastic IPA when fresh.

3.64/5  rDev -17.6%

I had one of these less than 2 weeks old. It really was a malt bomb, and I had really high hopes.

3.48/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle was from Batch 623-626 1/31/15
Most likely was past it's best by date and this may be a reflection of how quickly these type high octane dipa's can drop off. I would put money on it that a fresh one of these would be fantastic

4.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

for me.. what set this one one apart from the many other IPA was its super balanced sweet honey like malt profile...it was not necessarily a perfect expression of the citra hop... it is for more of a nice well balanced beer with some Citra hops.more like a better version Of 90 min ipa... less like kern river citra or pseudo sue.

for whatever it's worth my bottle was also about a month old and it seemed to have more hop flavor at a warmer temperature

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

Don't need to justify my rating

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Citrusy, juicy, bold imperial pale from one of Chicago's best and most innovative breweries

3.91/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Many thanks to Charlie for the bottle!

Yields a clear, dark orange color, with a bubbly, slim head.

The aromas are much sweeter than I expected, with ripe peach and mango, accompanied by dough malts, crowned by a whiff of zingy lemon. Malts support the sun ripened fruit character by providing a distinct biscuit quality. The hops push even a little further, adding red apple peel to the nose, together with glazed tangerine.

Tastes of sweeter malts, balancing the more and more noteable fruity hops, evoking flavors of peach, orange and tangerine. Slightly prickly, juicy peaches get accompanied by grassy citrus, adding a little twist to the sappy hops. Drinks very smooth, with a well fitting carbonation, and a prominent resinous, honeyed impact, enhancing the luscious character of the brew. A distinct biscuity malt sweetness is the harbinger for a citraic, dry bitterness, leaving a slick, slightly fruity aftertaste back on the palate.

4.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015-02-21
22oz bottle split between several Red Hook sampler glasses.

Pours amber gold with a slight haze and medium head. Not terribly carbonated. Smell is very fruity, floral, some honeysuckle sweetness, but fairly mild.

Taste is a strong bitterness with a little straw. Floral, nicely balanced, long bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very dry and light. Quite pleasant. Overall, very good beer.

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Really good with sweet citra hop taste. But, at over $10 a 22 oz bottle, it's hard to justify this over local neighbor Anti-Hero to me. 6 of those for $10, compares to over $30 for Citra. I just don't see it worth the price, even for a DIPA. Glad I tried it, but not worth the hassle of tracking it down. Not even sure it's better than Ninja vs Unicorn.

11/8/14

A: Dark. Really dark. Burnt orange. The whole time I was thinking that this was a joke and that it was some sort of imperial amber or red ale. Did I mention this is dark?

S: There's some of that citra smell that we all know and love, and then there's the cereal. If Kellog's made hop cereal, I bet this is what it would smell like. My sense of foreboding about this ninja is increasing...

T: I'll be honest, not good. It's just so damn malty. It's like the first time you do homebrew and you taste the wort and you imagine how this could be a beer but you have to work at it because it's just malt. Sure, there's some citrus and fruit but it's buried DEEP in an underwater malt canyon with no hope of recovery.

M: thick and a little syrupy like you'd expect given the above. Of course it wouldn't matter if the mouthfeel was a full on erotic mouth massage, the mouthfeel can't make up for the taste.

O: I was so excited to try this beer, so excited to finally try some Pipeworks, and I really really wanted to like it. I'm into the Pipeworks "thing": the experimentation, the small batches and the crazy art and so on. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with this beer and very confused about the high rating here. This is unlike any DIPA I've ever had, and not in the good way. I couldn't even finish it. It's just so absurdly malty. DISCLAIMER: it's possible my experience was partly ruined because I drank this with some friends right after drinking a phenomenal citra single hop (Revolution Citra Hero) but even ignoring that this would not ever be a beer I'd want to try again. Ever.

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to Kevin_Young for this one.

Pours a dirty orange with hints of yellow, gobs of foam throughout the session. Very good plush fruit and easily drinkable though does sneak on you.

4.69/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to brentlepping for the share.

This pours rich amber deep copper color with a minimal head. The nose is huge on the citrus. Major notes of pineapple, mango, orange peel and grapefruit. The taste amazingly follows the nose. No pine resin translation with a huge citrus profile which is very unique. A fairly large malt backbone. High carbonation, moderate body and full body.

This is definitely a double. I love the way the citrus nose translates to the taste. It's a little malt heavy for my absolute preference which is certainly a factor in my score but this is better than most top shelf DIPAs.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

22 oz bottle batch 535/536 ...just released this week FRESH

A- Hazy orange with thin white head
S- WOW, starts to hit you right away with tropical fruit. Mango, peach, nectarine, citrus.
T- Again, amazing. Citrus zest/peel. Juicy.
M- Thin to medium. Easy drinking.

O- This is one amazing IIPA (9.5%). If you like the tropical fruit juiciness, this is as good as it gets.

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. Sticker on the bottle says 09/05/14.

A- Pours a reddish amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains decently before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of sheer surface foam. Somewhat resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Wonderful citrus hop aroma with a nice sweet malt backing.

T- Hop flavor comes in and is followed by a moderate bitterness plus that sweet malt really rounds everything out so well. Kind of reminds me of a hoppy red ale. Very smooth for the ABV as I would never guess this is 9.5%

M- Quite oily and slightly sharp from the hops. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the fuller side.

O- What I admire about Pipeworks' IPAs is that they're somehow able to pack a whole lot of hop flavor into the beer without there being an abundant amount of bitterness. Outstanding.

2.25/5  rDev -49.1%

Batch 503/504 (less than a month from the brew date)

So far from a world-class, top 250 beer it makes me sad. Malt bomb, none of that Citra deliciousness you want.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

If you love Citra hops then this is the one you have to have!

3.83/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bomber, batch # dates this at Sept 4th or 5th.

A: Orange body, heavy haze.. 2 finger head with good retention.

S: Unmistakably Citra in the nose. Tropical fruit notes, a little bit of freshly cut grass. Some malt in there as well. The hop aroma isn't as intense as some of my favorite IIPAs, but it's nice.

T: Follows the nose, no surprises here. The 9.5% comes through a little bit.

M: Syrupy, a fair amount of heat from the high ABV.

O: I've been wanting to try this beer for a couple years now. It's a good double IPA, but doesn't hold a candle to another Citra hopped double IPA like Surly's Abrasive. I think it would be better if they brought the ABV down a bit to 8-9%. Hope this was just an off batch, would like to try it again sometime.

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Outsatanding Imperial IPA. I've had several great beers from Pipeworks and I'd have to say this is the best. All of their IPA's are definitely worth seeking out. Ultra smooth hoppiness and complexity. Absolutely as good as it gets !

This is a TASSSTY beer!

Citra (no longer w/ Ninja) is basically the brew Pipeworks hangs their hat on. And thur should be damn proud! When I see this, I rip it from the shelf like a Wal-Mart shopper grabs TV's on Black Friday.

The smell is perfect.

Appearance is perfect.

Mouthfeel perfect.

Taste is perfect.

I believe this is the second beer I've given a score of 5's across the board.

Pipeworks is constantly producing really unique, great tasting beers. I'm lucky enough to live just a few minutes from the brewery, so I get to try everything they release. Almost all of them are "TITS" but Citra, in my opinion, is in a class of its own.

I see the "wants" to "got" ratio here at BA...good luck WANTS...you won't be disappointed- enjoy!

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a gorgeous golden orange. Scent is explosive, with pine, pine, pine, and a bit of citrus. Texture is dense and (in a good way) oily, Taste echoes the scent. Despite the high ABV, I tasted no alcohol. Man, I'm embarrassed how I chugged this. This is a preposterously good beer.

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Been searching for this one for a while, so very pleased to finally get to try it. I've had and liked several of the more popular and highly rated DIPAs out there, so I know what I'm looking for. This one doesn't quite meet my expectations or the hype, but it's still pretty decent. In true Pipeworks tradition, this is a very big, boozy beer. Alcohol is not hidden very well. I think this bottle is only 5 days old, but the hops don't really "pop" like I thought they would. There's also a very malty, syrupy finish to the beer which I'm not fond of. This one reminds me most of Double Sunshine or Hopslam. Good beer, worth seeking out, but not a world-class DIPA in my book.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

The citra ninja is a beautiful offering from pipeworks. The beer poured a clear rich copper with white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent was typical of citra beers orange peel citrus mixed with pine and touch of spice. The taste follows the scent. The m outhfeel is full body with good carbonation. Overall...YUMMY!

Citra from Pipeworks Brewing Company