Citra - Pipeworks Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-15-2012

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.
Ratings: 1,181 | Reviews: 109

Rust orange in appearance and absolutely stunningly bright orange in direct sunlight, nothing more inviting in an IPA for me.

An abundance of citrus punishes the nostrils at first whiff, though not entirely brewed with Citra hops, they definitely highlight this hop spectacularly.

My oh my! Instantly floored by this delightful IPA. Citrus, hops, bitter, perfectly balanced. The high ABV ain't bad either!

Mouthfeel is bitter with hop deliciousness and well carbonated all balanced perfectly.

Overall, this is absolutely everything I look for in an IPA, hands down the best Illinois born IIPA!

Poorer from a bomber into a tulip - nice frothy head with a consistent lacing. I got a slam of citra hops right off the bat when I drank with a silky mouthfeel. The aromas were beautiful citra floral hops that just made the taste explode.

This beer is tough to get and was worth the effort to get.

A- hazy orange glow with a perfect 1 1/2 head

S- citra hoppy floral bouquet

T- citra bomb of hops, bitter finish - just excellence

M- smooth at outset, sticky finish

One of the top DIPAs out there IMO

This is a TASSSTY beer!

Citra (no longer w/ Ninja) is basically the brew Pipeworks hangs their hat on. And thur should be damn proud! When I see this, I rip it from the shelf like a Wal-Mart shopper grabs TV's on Black Friday.

The smell is perfect.

Appearance is perfect.

Mouthfeel perfect.

Taste is perfect.

I believe this is the second beer I've given a score of 5's across the board.

Pipeworks is constantly producing really unique, great tasting beers. I'm lucky enough to live just a few minutes from the brewery, so I get to try everything they release. Almost all of them are "TITS" but Citra, in my opinion, is in a class of its own.

I see the "wants" to "got" ratio here at BA...good luck WANTS...you won't be disappointed- enjoy!

had this out of a bomber a week or so ago poured into an imperial pint glass

Pours a golden color with a slight ahze to it, Big citra nose to this beer. Taste real smooth a bit of pine, pineapple and grapefruit. hides the 9.5% very well, was not overwllemed by the booze in this one. left a small bite with the bitterenss at the end of this. over all one of the most solid DIPA's that i have had. I am a local to chicago and will continue to support Pipeworks. They will become the next "Big Brewer" here in chicago.

This is one of the best new beers I have had In a while. I need to preface this by the statement that I am a citra hop whore, but this beer is elite. The floral smell is intense, lots of citrus. I was definitely salivating before drink one.

This beer was done right, not sweet just citrus, bitterness, fruit. It stacks up against the elite. Amazing aftertaste. Wish pipeworks was my next door neighbor.

4.98/5  rDev +12.7%

This is by far one of the best double IPAs I've ever tasted especially do to the fact it was brewed with citra hops my favorite hops. I had batch 280 and understanding it was more than one month old but I still was in great shape. I'm not too into having my DIPAs super fresh so it worked great for me. The malt on this beer slightly reminded me of Heady Topper but in my opinion this beats the shit out of Heady Topper and Pliny in that matter. Would love to compare this to Kern River Citra (not Noble Ale Works Citra Showers because that brew was a little disappointing for me) Highly recommend this brew if you can get your hands on it.

4.91/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: cloudy orange, finger khaki head,
stunning lacing display

S: massive punch of peach, mango and papaya!

T: peach + mango, firm malt, aged oak/woody,
long sticky citrus hop monster finish

M: med/heavy mouth, big sticky/uber oily

O: THIS BEER IS INSANE! I know everyone has
favorites, but I really love the Double + IPAs with
amazing citrus hops.

WORLD CLASS; MUST HAVE!!!

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Outsatanding Imperial IPA. I've had several great beers from Pipeworks and I'd have to say this is the best. All of their IPA's are definitely worth seeking out. Ultra smooth hoppiness and complexity. Absolutely as good as it gets !

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just had this two days ago, enjoyed in a 3F teku glass. It was bottled 3 days prior, Batch #176.

Have been waiting to try this since I learned of Pipeworks, and I tend to gravitate toward the citrusy American Pales. This did not dissappoint.

A: Golden orange / reddish orange, about single finger head. A little lacing, but not too much as it is 9.5%.

S: Amazingly cirtusy aroma from the citra hops of course, Im sure the freshness helps out a lot. Can't seem to get enough of the smell!

T: An outstanding DIPA/IIPA taste, very well balanced, not too overly malty and brimming with bitterness

M: Just right leaves a nice lingering taste of the citra hops tat as it fades, begs you to take another sip

O: Im sold. Pipeworks can really make an unbelievable DIPA. I plan on getting another bottle or two before this ninja disappears.

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

Pipeworks - Citra Ninja
Batch 177 as fresh as you can get it!

A - Golden Orange with a slight haze to it. Just enough to know its unfiltered. 2 finger head with limited lacing. 4.5

S - Tropical explosion. Ripe, nectary fruits like mango and probably other fruits I've never had. Smells like a juice I want on sunday morning. This beer has one of the best scents I've ever experienced. Impressed me just as much as my first experience with Sucks. That's high praise. 5.0

T - Right on the front of the tongue is an immediate bitterness. As the tongue reacts, the tropical flavors kick in and resonate for quit some time. I love beers that linger. Not really a malty beer. This is all about showcasing the hops. So ya, its not complex, but did you expect that from a beer called Citra Ninja? 5.0

M - Dry beer up front and leaves you looking for that next sip. The juicy hop resin lingers and makes me want to pick it up again. Is it funny that beer has expanded my taste for foods I hated, growing up? 4.5

Overall this is an awesome beer. Pipeworks showing off again. They know what they are doing. They have showed they want to do every style well. In a market filled with too many DIPAs, this is a DIPA that lives up to hype an is worth the search. 4.75
CHEERS

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a gorgeous golden orange. Scent is explosive, with pine, pine, pine, and a bit of citrus. Texture is dense and (in a good way) oily, Taste echoes the scent. Despite the high ABV, I tasted no alcohol. Man, I'm embarrassed how I chugged this. This is a preposterously good beer.

4.84/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance-
Burnt copper, light haze despite best attempts to avoid any sentiment from entering.

Smell-
Citra magic. Smoother than a lot of the citra beers out there.

Taste-
I thought the smell was going to be the best part about this beer. It is funny, because everything but the citra hop is far backstage... but it does not matter.

Mouthfeel-
Thick and sticky, really coats the flavor on you. Decent carbonation.

Overall-
I can see why it took me so long to get a bottle of this. It fires on one cylinder... one fantastic cylinder.

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Citrusy, juicy, bold imperial pale from one of Chicago's best and most innovative breweries

4.78/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, IL; unknown bottling date but presumed fresh - Batch "280-81-82-83"; drank out of a hotel glass over an hour or so

A: 3/3 - deep orange with a brownish hue in certain lights; impressive clarity for a hop bomb (can both read and see through); initial frothy white head resolved into subtle glass lacing; light-to-moderate carbonation

S: 11/12 - lots of tropical citrus cum dank notes just pouring out of the glass; unable to detect any malt or alcohol notes - just incredible citrus aroma!

T: 19/20 - initial slap of bitterness on the front of the tongue quickly evolves into a tropical fruit - papaya, pineapple and mango - delight; as the flavor profiles develops, some of the dank, piney qualities of Citra appear; little malts and some alcohol provide balance; finishes dry with a pleasant aftertaste that invites sip after sip - close to perfect DIPA profile for me

M: 5/5 - full-bodied with thick hop oils and alcohol coating the tongue; appropriate carbonation for an imperial IPA - again, perfect

O: 19/20 - this ranks with FFF's Zombie Dust for me as one of the best Citra beers (never had Kern River or Lawson's among other highly-touted Citra-centric offerings); in addition to that it's a pretty perfect DIPA that again ranks up there with some of the best - Stone's Enjoy By, Surly Abrasive and The Alchemist's Heady Topper; just a total delight to drink that fires on all cylinders and showcases one of the best hop varietals on the market; and, for $10.99/bomber, it's a total steal; I'd drink the shit out of this one if it was distributed in my market

TOTAL - 47/50

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

If you love Citra hops then this is the one you have to have!

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acquired via trade with MattLatuchie. Pours a dark orange with a thick off-white head. Good retention and lacing. The aroma jumps out of the glass - lots of earthy, tropical fruit, citrusy hops with some bready notes. The malt really comes out on the palate with chewy, resinous, bitter hops throughout. Finishes dry with a slight, peppery kick. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall, a quality DIPA and great showcase for this very popular hop.

4.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Robbie for this bottle! Batch #109. Bottled on ???
Poured in to tulip.

A - Slightly hazy golden orange with half a finger of dirty white head.

S - Massive fresh tropical fruit aroma of mango, peach, pineapple, grapefruit and pine. Some honey sweetness in the background.

T - A big bitterness up front that is complimented by fresh mango, peach, pineapple, grapefruit and pine flavours. A perfect amount of honey sweetness in the background.

M - Medium body, creamy. Sticky. Moderate carbonation.

4.74/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Re-reviewing this one, given that my first offering was flat secondary to poor bottling. This is the freshest batch but interestingly made it out of the brewery without a batch number. Poured into a FFF Teku.

Looks more the part this time around! Opaque copper orange body with a large light-beige head with awesome retention and lacing.

Incredible citra aroma. Orange rind, lemon wedge, grapefruit pulp, pine needles, total citrus bomb. I expect this to be malty based on the ABV but the nose is all hops.

Bright juicy citrus hop flavor goes along with the notes, sweet citrus fruits and complemented by a generous malt backbone that balances surprisingly well. Bitterness on the back end is striking and lingering. Alcohol is noticeable but not unpleasant.

Really nice texture, crisp and easy to throw down, smooth, dry finish, medium bodied, fantastic for the DIPA style.

This lives up to the hype, especially for Citra lovers. So glad I got to try a good bottle this time. Seek this out, and do it aggressively, as it is awesome fresh and flies off the shelves when released.

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Served into a Unibroue Ephemere tulip.

Seems this beer has become pipeworks' new bad boy. I've heard this likened to a Zombie Dust on steroids. So lets see....

Smells about right. Zombie dust on steroids does seem appropriate here.

Taste. Very good. Certainly worth the praise it gets. Citra hops showcased very well, the usual grapefruit up front, floral and bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel. A lot more carbonation on this one compared to ZD. CO2 bubbles bombard your tongue.

Overall, Pipeworks has a winner IMO. Much better than Ninja Vs Unicorn if you ask me. Now if only they bottled in 6pks, till then, this, like all their beers, is a bit on the pricey side of things when you consider beers like Hop Stoopid, ZD, Gubna, etc... But I get it, PW is still a new brewery and I don't mind supporting them until their bills are paid off!

4.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I wanted to do a quick review of this after having a second bottle, just because I came into the beer having certain expectations, and I wanted to make sure I got those out of the way.

First off, this beer smells amazing; fresh and fruity, the citra hops burst through. Definitely a good start.

Upon taking a sip, your mouth will be blown away by the citra hops. Seriously, I've seen this compared to Zombie Dust a few times, and there's no comparison; Zombie Dust is a smoother, more balanced APA/IPA (depending on your definition), whereas Citra Ninja is an in your face citra bomb finishing off in a cleansing, bitter taste. If citra hops are your thing, get this beer; once it starts to heat up you'll taste the 9.5% ABV a little more, but you'll be too busy running through a forest of citra hops with the other Citra Ninjas to care.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 54
(Served in a Teku)

A- This beer pours a clear deep copper glow with a wall of microbubbles gliding to the surface and a sticky beige cream that that last and last.

S- The big juicy green hops have a bright citrus with a slight mint hint to them that comes through even during the pour.

T- The big juicy dry citrus hops flavor has some woody hop flavors to and a nice pineapple weed hop flavor in the finish. There is a gentle bitterness in the slightly dry finish and only a full pineapple weed pungency lingers. There is a soft slightly sweet pale malt flavor underneath that offers nice support.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a nice gentle fizz that boost the hops in the finish and no real alcohol heat is noticed.

O- This beer is a full hop bomb with only a slight bitterness and leans just a touch toward the dry side making it very drinkable and having a wonderful hop complexity. The depth seeps to grow as it opens up and it is very drinkable, especially for such a big beer.

4.69/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to brentlepping for the share.

This pours rich amber deep copper color with a minimal head. The nose is huge on the citrus. Major notes of pineapple, mango, orange peel and grapefruit. The taste amazingly follows the nose. No pine resin translation with a huge citrus profile which is very unique. A fairly large malt backbone. High carbonation, moderate body and full body.

This is definitely a double. I love the way the citrus nose translates to the taste. It's a little malt heavy for my absolute preference which is certainly a factor in my score but this is better than most top shelf DIPAs.

4.67/5  rDev +5.7%

I have had many IPA's that say they have used Citra hop's. But this is the first time I have had a beer that the brewery didn't go light on the Citra, Pipeworks Brewery has made a big statement with this beer and it a big WOW! This is a beautiful beer and I wish I could have bought more.

4.66/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours cloudy dark amber with a big 2 finger off white head

Smells awesome, tons of citrus, mainly pineapple with hints of orange grapefruit and mango. Malt has a nice sweet caramel smell that works perfectly with the candy like yeast typical to pipeworks.

Taste is awesome, lots of bitterness upfront but it does not interfere with the flavor. Lots of citrus, more pineapple, orange and lots of mango. More candy like yeast along with caramel malt.

Mouthfeel is awesome, medium body, lots of bitterness upfront. And some good carbonation.

Overall this is an awesome ipa. Awesome hop aromas and flavors.

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

Glad to have finally tried this. Pours a dark orange color with a two finger off white head that dissipates slowly. Moderate carbonation. Smells of tons of juicy hops. An onslaught of mango, as well as pineapple, guava, papaya, grapefruit, orange, and a candied sweetness. A slight dank quality to it. As it warms, a butterscotch note comes out from the malt. If there was an air freshener that smelled like this, I would buy it on the spot…smells amazing. Taste is just as good. Starts with lots of mango, papaya, and grapefruit, but also has a nice sweetness and butterscotch flavor to accompany it. The finish is wonderful. Tropical and citrus fruits galore. Papaya, guava, mango, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit rind, a slight herbal (almost piney) note, a "cat piss" quality, along with a candied sweetness that gives the fruits a juicy quality to them. Slightly dry on the finish. A slight abrasiveness to it, but with the sweetness it is not overbearing at all. High medium body with a creamy, yet oily mouthfeel. The nice, sweet malt balance, along with the amazingly complex and juicy hop profile make this double ipa stand out. If you are a citra hop fan, seek this out. There aren’t many dipas that capture the complexity and deliciousness of the citra hop quite like this one. This is another exceptional double ipa from Pipeworks.

Citra from Pipeworks Brewing Company