Citra - Pipeworks Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-15-2012

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.
Reviews: 108 | Hads: 1,221

A: Dark. Really dark. Burnt orange. The whole time I was thinking that this was a joke and that it was some sort of imperial amber or red ale. Did I mention this is dark?

S: There's some of that citra smell that we all know and love, and then there's the cereal. If Kellog's made hop cereal, I bet this is what it would smell like. My sense of foreboding about this ninja is increasing...

T: I'll be honest, not good. It's just so damn malty. It's like the first time you do homebrew and you taste the wort and you imagine how this could be a beer but you have to work at it because it's just malt. Sure, there's some citrus and fruit but it's buried DEEP in an underwater malt canyon with no hope of recovery.

M: thick and a little syrupy like you'd expect given the above. Of course it wouldn't matter if the mouthfeel was a full on erotic mouth massage, the mouthfeel can't make up for the taste.

O: I was so excited to try this beer, so excited to finally try some Pipeworks, and I really really wanted to like it. I'm into the Pipeworks "thing": the experimentation, the small batches and the crazy art and so on. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with this beer and very confused about the high rating here. This is unlike any DIPA I've ever had, and not in the good way. I couldn't even finish it. It's just so absurdly malty. DISCLAIMER: it's possible my experience was partly ruined because I drank this with some friends right after drinking a phenomenal citra single hop (Revolution Citra Hero) but even ignoring that this would not ever be a beer I'd want to try again. Ever. (1,603 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -47.7%

Batch 503/504 (less than a month from the brew date)

So far from a world-class, top 250 beer it makes me sad. Malt bomb, none of that Citra deliciousness you want. (165 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -40.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper. Hazy body. Doesn't pour with much head at all. Just a slight welling of bubbles at the end. No head. Some lacing, but that's all.

Smell - Citrus and grapefruit hop. Very malty. Buttery, too, which is the only thing I can smell after a while.

Taste - Much hoppier here, but fairly abrasive. Orange hop. Tons of caramel malt, but it dries out quickly with a boozy bite. Very bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy, harsh, a little sweet. Very dry.

Overall - How is this rated well at all? My bottle is fresh, but tastes old. (592 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Much darker than what I'm used to seeing from a DIPA... Deep, dark amber... almost red-hued, with a frothy head that quickly fades into a light lacing.

S: Loads of citrusy fruits: grapefruit, mango, passionfruit. Detecting something else... I don't know what... almost onion-y in scent.

T: I get way more pine than fruit, some honey, and a bready malt backbone that feels a little off balance to me. Finish is long and bitter.

M: Heavier than most DIPAs I've had, moderate carbonation.

O: Like most other Pipeworks beers I've tried, this wouldn't stack up as a favorite, and I find myself wondering how this beer, like so many of their offerings, garners so much word of mouth. Not a bad beer by any means, but I've yet to try a Pipeworks beer that I'd consider to be "World Class", Citra Ninja included. (845 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -21.9%

The coloring was orange but it took a reddish hue in low light so that the two colors had a sunset appearance. The head was thick and foamy with a good white color.

The scent is very creamy, with resinous piney hops and a butterscotch aroma. There is some fruity scents like grapefruit and tangerines.

My first impression of the taste was buttered popcorn with an actual butter taste and a bready malty underpinning. There is then a floral hop flavor that ends the taste.

No one else in my tasting group picked up on the buttery taste and I know that my palate doesn't do well with large doses of Citra. All I can be is honest in my personal taste and I did not receive this well. (683 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to djcorrao for the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy burnt orange/copper. Head is off-white and drops to a small cap in short order. Some sheet of lacing stick in clumps and rings. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Citra and caramel and biscuity malts. Tropical fruit. Some mango and passionfruit with cooked and caramelized malt sweetness. Some tangerine as well. Touches of orange. Something like a fruit smoothies. Touches of toasted malt. Very bready. Undercooked dough. Maybe even some banana.

Taste: Big bready malt layered over a load of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, tangerine, and a touch of peach. Seriously a smoothies. Bready malts carry some lingering caramel sweetness. Cooked and caramelized malt sugars. Some backing pine needle bitterness. Warming pushes a bit more caramelized sweetness Pithy.

Mouthfeel: Fuller side of medium body. Moderate carbonation with a lingering dryness on the back. Smooth until then.

Overall: The beer equivalent of Beverly Hills Ninja.

In the end it's solid, but it's no ninja movie. A more subtly use of Citra yes, but it loses some of that Citra magic as a result. Nice to drink, but there are better Citra-centered beers on the market. (1,189 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to 316nuts. Pours a deep reddish amber. This almost looks like an imperial red ale. It's somewhat cloudy. The head is medium to small and off-white. Bubbles fade to not much after a minute. The aroma has a lot of caramel malt with some solid citrus and tropical fruit hoppiness. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, white grape, peach, mint. Some spice. Doughy, caramely malt. Mild booze. A little bubblegum. Taste is sweet, but the caramel malt character is restrained. Medium to medium-high bitterness. Good hop flavor. More of the same mix of citrus, tropical and other fruit notes. The mixture of bitter and sweet gets in the way of the hop complexity a bit. It just gets a bit harsh in the finish. Some alcohol heat but it's mostly hidden. Normal carbonation. A bit heavy. Hop oily. Just a little cloying, at least for my taste. This doesn't fit my preferences in the style, but I can appreciate why others like it. (928 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle was from Batch 623-626 1/31/15
Most likely was past it's best by date and this may be a reflection of how quickly these type high octane dipa's can drop off. I would put money on it that a fresh one of these would be fantastic (234 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

1 PINT 6FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass
Batch 175

A - It pours bronze in color with golden highlights. A normal pour yielded a half glass of beige head.

S - I get a caramel, almost candy corn smell at first. Then I get some nostril piercing citrus.

T - The taste is loaded with bitterness. It is like biting into a grapefruit and chasing it with a fistful of pine needles. However, I do get some sips that have a fleeting candy-like sweetness.

M - Medium

O - I don't know about this beer. It is pretty bitter like a west coast ipa, but that sweetness that comes in every now and then is not good. It almost tastes like it is old, but it was bottled July 26. I'm going to assume this is a bad batch because this candy corn flavor and aroma can't be intentional. (775 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a becker.

A: Golden hue. Pours a slight, bubbly, white head. Settles quickly, leaving a foam buildup around the rim. Nothing really in terms of lacing.

S: Really hoppy, with a little honey.

T: Bitter, but hearty and subdued hops. Slightly sweet balance. Not much else.

M: Steely with something of an effervescent, soda water sort of texture, despite meager carbonation.

D: Bitterness dictates a sipping experience.

Atmosphere is pretty solid. Light head and no real lacing. Hoppy with some sweet tone in the nose. Hops almost overwhelm, with a aftertaste something accustom to what I assume licking a copper pot might be like. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff. (701 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Jeff...thank you kindly for the opportunity.

Pours a dark rusty trombone orange/red with a short lived cap and no lacing.

Scents of mango, chive, and big syrupy sweetness.

Fleshy apricot-mango-peachy nectar delights all over the front of the tongue. Lightly chive-y and herbal through the middle with little bitterness to smooth things out. The finish is cloyingly sweet and lingers...only here, after some time, does any semblence of bitterness show itself. Drying sandpaper quality tries in vain to cloak the sugars and pungent fruit sweetness, but to no avail.

There's something here that just doesn't fully jive. A beautiful girl up front with a funky trunk as she walks past. (704 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy bronze, with large, foamy light-tan head.

S: Tropical. Lots of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit. A bit of pine as well.

T: Resinous pine up front, along with a hefty maltiness that provides a spicy bite. There is also some pineapple, grapefruit, and floral. A moderately bitter finish along with what I could swear is a trace of ammonia.

M: Slick medium body with moderate carbonation. Provides a spicy burn.

O: I was quite underwhelmed with this offering, especially given the hype surrounding it. I feel it's too malty, a tad too bitter, and there is that ever so slight ammonia taste - I did have my wife try some and she didn't notice it - Oh well, just not my cup of tea I guess. (755 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bomber, batch # dates this at Sept 4th or 5th.

A: Orange body, heavy haze.. 2 finger head with good retention.

S: Unmistakably Citra in the nose. Tropical fruit notes, a little bit of freshly cut grass. Some malt in there as well. The hop aroma isn't as intense as some of my favorite IIPAs, but it's nice.

T: Follows the nose, no surprises here. The 9.5% comes through a little bit.

M: Syrupy, a fair amount of heat from the high ABV.

O: I've been wanting to try this beer for a couple years now. It's a good double IPA, but doesn't hold a candle to another Citra hopped double IPA like Surly's Abrasive. I think it would be better if they brought the ABV down a bit to 8-9%. Hope this was just an off batch, would like to try it again sometime. (768 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bottle thanks to LSMroz, batch 175 bottled 7/26/13 so exactly four weeks old, pretty fresh. Heavy orange color, great head. Aroma is super pungent hops, smells good. The flavor is very hoppy but it has this candy sweetness to it and the slightest hint of aspirin. Its not bad but it is astringent. Overall, it smells better than it tastes. (344 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a Teku. Dark hazy orange, with a finger of slightly off white head.
Smell was equal parts pine and tropical fruit, Peach, Apricot and maybe some melon. Nothing jumped out.
Taste was slightly muted. Definitely picking up on the tropical hop flavor, but there wasn't really any malt to balance it out.
Mouthfeel was great. I though it was spot on with body and carbonation level. Really bone dry.
I feel this is a slight let down partly due to my expectations, partly due to the flavor being a little unbalanced. I was really looking for maybe a touch a sweetness to bring everything up a few notches. Perhaps this beer was too fresh? I would definitely recommend trying it if you have the chance. (709 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Many thanks to Charlie for the bottle!

Yields a clear, dark orange color, with a bubbly, slim head.

The aromas are much sweeter than I expected, with ripe peach and mango, accompanied by dough malts, crowned by a whiff of zingy lemon. Malts support the sun ripened fruit character by providing a distinct biscuit quality. The hops push even a little further, adding red apple peel to the nose, together with glazed tangerine.

Tastes of sweeter malts, balancing the more and more noteable fruity hops, evoking flavors of peach, orange and tangerine. Slightly prickly, juicy peaches get accompanied by grassy citrus, adding a little twist to the sappy hops. Drinks very smooth, with a well fitting carbonation, and a prominent resinous, honeyed impact, enhancing the luscious character of the brew. A distinct biscuity malt sweetness is the harbinger for a citraic, dry bitterness, leaving a slick, slightly fruity aftertaste back on the palate. (946 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: deep orange color. A half finger of a white head that leaves behinds decent lacing behind. Pretty hazy and almost opaque.

Smell: toasty malts, and juicy and slightly resiny citra hops.

Taste: opens with slightly sweet and toasty malts. Juicy and citrus hops. Fairly bitter for citra.

Mouthfeel: good medium body. Good bitterness.

Overall: solid dipa offering. Not the greatest thing out there but worth a try (428 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle dated 5/1/14 into an IPA glass.

Look: much darker than expected—red-tinged brownish orange. By looks alone, I'd expect this to be a malt-focused beer. Almost no head.

Smell: bright and citrusy. A layer of cotton candy sweetness.

Taste: tangy sweet dankness. If someone told me this was a mildly spoiled Fanta Orange soda, I might believe it. Okay, maybe not quite, but almost.

Feel: light-to-medium body. Fizzy.

Overall: this is one of those beers where the sweetness is borderline too much for me (Chillwave also comes to mind). It's not unenjoyable, but it's almost more of an alcoholic soda than a beer. Being under 3 weeks old, I doubt it's an issue of freshness. Delicious nonetheless. (704 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Hugonaut13!

A very sticky dark copper in color. Thin khaki head. Sticky lined lacing down the glass.

Melon, citrus (grapefruit), and some mild pine and dank marijuana in the aroma. Those are all good things.

The flavor translates well--impressive, just like the aroma with moderate bitterness. The melon and grapefruit flavors rise above the marijuana and pine notes. The flavors, unfortunately, seemed to come apart somewhat as the beer warmed, with more harsh alcohol present on the finish. That being said, it wasn't distracting, but my initial sniffs and sips were better than the ones following.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

An excellent DIPA. Would drink again. (727 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This thing stinks. First thing I smell is B.O. and maybe a cat litter box IMO. My wife doesn't smell it though. But hold onto your lugnuts!! Batch #59

The citra hops are definitely pronounced. Juicy, piney, grapefruit pith embrace the palate. No onion aftertaste, just nice and bitter. Gotta lave da bitta beer!

Kinda reminds me of the saying 'the stinkier the cheese, the better'. Barely taste the 9.5 ABV, but it provides fine comfort. When u can't find FFF Zombie Dust, this is your definite DIPA goto! I will be buying more!! (531 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thnx chidave!

So......
A: murky golden brown. Nice average lacing
S: I'm getting a great orange-peach scent. It's nice. Could it be the yeast?
T: yup, it's gotta be the yeast. Booze is definitely there. I'm getting so much yeast outta this it's border line Belgian (kidding)
M: all things aside, what stays is good..and this flavor stays! Light-medium coating stays over every bit of my mouth.
O: I think my honkeybucket home brew is on par with this. (459 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -6%

Drank 2 bottle of this over the weekend and it is not a consistent beer
the first bottle was not as good as the second it was a little malty and tasted old even though it was fresh
the second bottle was complete different had nice hop smell
and not the piney hop bite but had a little tangerine citrus hops on the back end and it was definitely enjoyable as far as so much hype on this beer it is not worthy of it
and i would say it is over-rated although the second bottle was a nice drink
would not want to go through the effort to try get it again when there are some many worthy beers of this style out there
was nice to try but would just say it was good and leave it at that (683 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Acquired in a trade with wesside89

A- Deep gold with orange hues. Looks dense and hazy from the bottle conditioning. Beautiful

S- Juicy Citra hops abound. Tangerine, orange, apricot, mango and a touch of honey

T- Bright flavors of the nose explode out of the gate before the bitterness sets in late. Not quite as dank as hoped it would be. Probably due to some age on this one.

M- Creamy, mid to full body. Soft on the tongue. Very little alcohol detected. Perfectly bottle conditioned DIPA

O- Really well done. Not a "wow" beer for me, but solid. Need to try again even fresher. (584 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz bottle poured into an Alpine pint glass.

The beer pours a nice medium amber color, hues of copper and orange with a nice solid finger of slightly off white head, very soapy with a little frothiness that leaves behind good lacing and has nice retention. The aroma is potently hoppy, resinous pine, bright citrus with a really nice amount tropical fruit before some caramel malt and alcohol come out, very inviting. The flavors are nice, lots of tropical fruit straight away, sweet malt, sticky pine are right behind it, a bit of astringent alcohol comes out at the end with a little bit of citrus. This beer is pretty straight forward with the hop profile, strong fruit, mild pine and bits of bright citrus, the balance is a bit lacking and the elements aren't always complimentary, they sometimes seem to be fighting for attention, the maltiness is appropriate but I am a little put off by how boozy this IPA is. The body is nice and smooth, a bit creamy, coats the mouth well.

Verdict: A pretty good Imperial IPA from Pipeworks and probably the best hoppy beer I've tried from them to date. The fruit notes are really pleasant and the bitterness is spot on but the booziness and lack of cohesion is the difference between this being a good beer and a great beer. (1,270 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Who doesn't love ninjas!? ... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear amber topped by a finger or so of cream-white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit zest, light leek, orange rind, light lemon rind, and sweet caramel in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a decent vein of pine resin running through the proceedings, all rivery and such. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly sticky finish. Overall, a very nice DIPA, indeed. 'Nuff said. (534 characters)

Citra from Pipeworks Brewing Company