Citra - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-15-2012

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.
Reviews: 113 | Hads: 1,238
4.85/5  rDev +12%

Pours a gorgeous golden orange. Scent is explosive, with pine, pine, pine, and a bit of citrus. Texture is dense and (in a good way) oily, Taste echoes the scent. Despite the high ABV, I tasted no alcohol. Man, I'm embarrassed how I chugged this. This is a preposterously good beer.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Been searching for this one for a while, so very pleased to finally get to try it. I've had and liked several of the more popular and highly rated DIPAs out there, so I know what I'm looking for. This one doesn't quite meet my expectations or the hype, but it's still pretty decent. In true Pipeworks tradition, this is a very big, boozy beer. Alcohol is not hidden very well. I think this bottle is only 5 days old, but the hops don't really "pop" like I thought they would. There's also a very malty, syrupy finish to the beer which I'm not fond of. This one reminds me most of Double Sunshine or Hopslam. Good beer, worth seeking out, but not a world-class DIPA in my book.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

The citra ninja is a beautiful offering from pipeworks. The beer poured a clear rich copper with white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent was typical of citra beers orange peel citrus mixed with pine and touch of spice. The taste follows the scent. The m outhfeel is full body with good carbonation. Overall...YUMMY!

3.47/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to 316nuts. Pours a deep reddish amber. This almost looks like an imperial red ale. It's somewhat cloudy. The head is medium to small and off-white. Bubbles fade to not much after a minute. The aroma has a lot of caramel malt with some solid citrus and tropical fruit hoppiness. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, white grape, peach, mint. Some spice. Doughy, caramely malt. Mild booze. A little bubblegum. Taste is sweet, but the caramel malt character is restrained. Medium to medium-high bitterness. Good hop flavor. More of the same mix of citrus, tropical and other fruit notes. The mixture of bitter and sweet gets in the way of the hop complexity a bit. It just gets a bit harsh in the finish. Some alcohol heat but it's mostly hidden. Normal carbonation. A bit heavy. Hop oily. Just a little cloying, at least for my taste. This doesn't fit my preferences in the style, but I can appreciate why others like it.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thnx chidave!

A: murky golden brown. Nice average lacing
S: I'm getting a great orange-peach scent. It's nice. Could it be the yeast?
T: yup, it's gotta be the yeast. Booze is definitely there. I'm getting so much yeast outta this it's border line Belgian (kidding)
M: all things aside, what stays is good..and this flavor stays! Light-medium coating stays over every bit of my mouth.
O: I think my honkeybucket home brew is on par with this.

Rust orange in appearance and absolutely stunningly bright orange in direct sunlight, nothing more inviting in an IPA for me.

An abundance of citrus punishes the nostrils at first whiff, though not entirely brewed with Citra hops, they definitely highlight this hop spectacularly.

My oh my! Instantly floored by this delightful IPA. Citrus, hops, bitter, perfectly balanced. The high ABV ain't bad either!

Mouthfeel is bitter with hop deliciousness and well carbonated all balanced perfectly.

Overall, this is absolutely everything I look for in an IPA, hands down the best Illinois born IIPA!

3.94/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: deep orange color. A half finger of a white head that leaves behinds decent lacing behind. Pretty hazy and almost opaque.

Smell: toasty malts, and juicy and slightly resiny citra hops.

Taste: opens with slightly sweet and toasty malts. Juicy and citrus hops. Fairly bitter for citra.

Mouthfeel: good medium body. Good bitterness.

Overall: solid dipa offering. Not the greatest thing out there but worth a try

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle (batch 393-394) poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a deep copper colored body with medium clarity/slight haze. A thick two finger head of dense cream colored foam sits for several minutes and after dropping a bit leaves thick sheets of lacing on the glass.

S - Heavy, almost syrupy thick, hop aroma. Tons of grapefruit - quite juicy, notes of tropical fruits, background pine, a bit peachy and sweaty. Earthy and biscuity malt base, a touch of musti-ness, lightly caramelly, lightly yeasty.

T - Firm hop bitterness up front that fades to a musty and sweaty hop character and eventually to a smooth and somewhat sweet malty finish blended with citrus. The hop bitterness is only medium in intensity, a bit dirty and earthy in character up front. This fades quickly to a peachy-ness and then full force into a grapefruit juice assault. Mildly sweet malt base with caramel and maltose sweetness. Finishes with more grapefruity hoppiness that lingers forever.

M - Sticky, citrusy, fruity. Body is thick and a bit syrupy in feel and shows a lower/medium carbonation that is on the creamy side and just a bit tingly. Malty, caramelly, somewhat sweet base comes thru more as the beer warms a bit, but blends nicely with the citrus heavy hop profile - sorta like a sprinkling of sugar on a fresh grapefruit.

O - Very good DIPA...was on my wants list for a while. Very glad to try it and not any kind of disappointment. Thick syrupy hop character over a firm malt base that complements the hop profile and really brings out the citrus exceptionally well. Would love to get another couple of bottles of this somewhere down the road and enjoy this one again.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really happy to finally get my hands on this one.

A: Pours a dark caramel color with a fluffy one finger cream colored head that shows good retention before settling down. Moderate lacing.

S: Mango, pineapple and guava right away with just a touch of caramel. A big blanket of pine and slightly spicy malt lurk in the background. Smell is pretty fantastic.

T: Huge amounts of sticky pine resin mixed with light pineapple and mango. There's a bit of caramel sweetness in the middle, but the finish is nothing but glorious pine resin. Mouthfeel is near perfect. I wouldn't call this the best Citra out there, but I really like this one a lot.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber poured into Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a slightly hazy bronze, with large, foamy light-tan head.

S: Tropical. Lots of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit. A bit of pine as well.

T: Resinous pine up front, along with a hefty maltiness that provides a spicy bite. There is also some pineapple, grapefruit, and floral. A moderately bitter finish along with what I could swear is a trace of ammonia.

M: Slick medium body with moderate carbonation. Provides a spicy burn.

O: I was quite underwhelmed with this offering, especially given the hype surrounding it. I feel it's too malty, a tad too bitter, and there is that ever so slight ammonia taste - I did have my wife try some and she didn't notice it - Oh well, just not my cup of tea I guess.

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Much darker than what I'm used to seeing from a DIPA... Deep, dark amber... almost red-hued, with a frothy head that quickly fades into a light lacing.

S: Loads of citrusy fruits: grapefruit, mango, passionfruit. Detecting something else... I don't know what... almost onion-y in scent.

T: I get way more pine than fruit, some honey, and a bready malt backbone that feels a little off balance to me. Finish is long and bitter.

M: Heavier than most DIPAs I've had, moderate carbonation.

O: Like most other Pipeworks beers I've tried, this wouldn't stack up as a favorite, and I find myself wondering how this beer, like so many of their offerings, garners so much word of mouth. Not a bad beer by any means, but I've yet to try a Pipeworks beer that I'd consider to be "World Class", Citra Ninja included.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber from batch #406-407.

A: deep copper with orange hues; fairly translucent for a pipeworks beer; light, frothy head

S: intense guava and pine/pineapple; sugary sweetness; dank hops abound

T: intense and hop-forward: syrupy peaches, pine sap, and pineapple juice; lots of tropical fruits and citrus rind; a very sweet, sticky beer with substantial but not overwhelming bitterness

M: sticky and viscous; full-bodied, dry, and heavy

O: really tasty stuff, but the thickness, sweetness, and overall heft of this beer wore me down about halfway through the bomber. had this one before and loved it, but now i 'only' liked it. looking forward to the next batch

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Translucent bronzed orange color. Large, fluffy, light, bubbly, white head. Good lacing leaving a light layer of lace.

S - Big fruity aroma from the hops. Passionfruit, grapefruit, mango, tangerine. Slight chive/onion notes. A bit of dank aroma as well. Almost no notes of malt on the nose, maybe a slight caramel and biscuit aroma. Very nice, heavy hop aroma. Great aromatic beer.

T - Like the aroma, very heavy hop flavors. Grapefruit zest/rind, passionfruit, mango, tangerine, plenty of fruity flavors. The onion/chive aspect is very faint on the taste. Again very light on the malt front with a slight caramel flavor. Strong hop flavors with a strong bitter kick on the end.

M - Medium body with low carbonation. Very smooth body.

D - Easy drinking DIPA. Slight alcohol heat on the finish. Big hop flavors lending to a great fruity flavor. Pretty refreshing with a bit of a slightly sweet flavor throughout and a nice bitter flavor cutting through.

Notes: Batch 406-407. Really enjoyable hop forward DIPA. Nice display of the Citra hop. Good treat but not necessarily sure it is worth the price given the number of great beers that aren't in bombers.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle dated 5/1/14 into an IPA glass.

Look: much darker than expected—red-tinged brownish orange. By looks alone, I'd expect this to be a malt-focused beer. Almost no head.

Smell: bright and citrusy. A layer of cotton candy sweetness.

Taste: tangy sweet dankness. If someone told me this was a mildly spoiled Fanta Orange soda, I might believe it. Okay, maybe not quite, but almost.

Feel: light-to-medium body. Fizzy.

Overall: this is one of those beers where the sweetness is borderline too much for me (Chillwave also comes to mind). It's not unenjoyable, but it's almost more of an alcoholic soda than a beer. Being under 3 weeks old, I doubt it's an issue of freshness. Delicious nonetheless.

3.69/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of Jeff...thank you kindly for the opportunity.

Pours a dark rusty trombone orange/red with a short lived cap and no lacing.

Scents of mango, chive, and big syrupy sweetness.

Fleshy apricot-mango-peachy nectar delights all over the front of the tongue. Lightly chive-y and herbal through the middle with little bitterness to smooth things out. The finish is cloyingly sweet and lingers...only here, after some time, does any semblence of bitterness show itself. Drying sandpaper quality tries in vain to cloak the sugars and pungent fruit sweetness, but to no avail.

There's something here that just doesn't fully jive. A beautiful girl up front with a funky trunk as she walks past.

3.91/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a Teku. Dark hazy orange, with a finger of slightly off white head.
Smell was equal parts pine and tropical fruit, Peach, Apricot and maybe some melon. Nothing jumped out.
Taste was slightly muted. Definitely picking up on the tropical hop flavor, but there wasn't really any malt to balance it out.
Mouthfeel was great. I though it was spot on with body and carbonation level. Really bone dry.
I feel this is a slight let down partly due to my expectations, partly due to the flavor being a little unbalanced. I was really looking for maybe a touch a sweetness to bring everything up a few notches. Perhaps this beer was too fresh? I would definitely recommend trying it if you have the chance.

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you've ever enjoyed a Citra hopped beer before, you'd be hard pressed to say it's better than this one. One that comes to mind is FFF Permanent Funeral. I've blind tasted this with that, and with everyone I've done it with, Pipeworks comes out on top.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Old review from notes: 8 oz. into a FFF Rastal on December 20th, 2013.

A - Deeper burnt-orange coloring, hugely frothy 4 finger head, tons of lacing and retention, slight legs.

S - Pineapple juice, ginger, orange marmalade, touch of mint, a hint of alcohol solvency, melon, passion fruit.

T - Plentiful pine, to a depth that I don't really experience outside of west coast stuff. Sap and lemon pour the the entry to mid-palate. Nuanced malt backing of white bread does just enough to keep everything in check. Very long bitter finish.

M - Low to medium carbonation, heavy body for the style. Quite dry.

D - Akin to FFF Perm Funeral among other tropical bombs. It had been quite a while since I'd experienced a solid Citra offering and this was a welcome treat.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Acquired in a trade with wesside89

A- Deep gold with orange hues. Looks dense and hazy from the bottle conditioning. Beautiful

S- Juicy Citra hops abound. Tangerine, orange, apricot, mango and a touch of honey

T- Bright flavors of the nose explode out of the gate before the bitterness sets in late. Not quite as dank as hoped it would be. Probably due to some age on this one.

M- Creamy, mid to full body. Soft on the tongue. Very little alcohol detected. Perfectly bottle conditioned DIPA

O- Really well done. Not a "wow" beer for me, but solid. Need to try again even fresher.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From 02/11/14 notes. Big thanks to BeerLawyer85 for sharing this one; thanks Ross, another big want of mine. 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep, murky dark orange-amber color with two fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus hops, fruity malts, oranges, lemon, grapefruit, grains, wheat, floral hops, and light bready malts. Nice nose, loads of citra which I love.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, grapefruit, pine hops, tropical fruits, fresh fruity malts, grains, wheat, floral hops, lemon zest, and pineapples. Awesome taste, even better than the nose. Lot of citra again but more tropical fruits too, which I love.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. No bitterness and pretty easy to drink. Creamy mouthfeel. Very good.

o - Overall I loved this one; I love citra hops and this did not disappoint. Ton of oranges, citrus, and torpical fruits, and no bitterness which makes it easy to drink. Top notch, would love to have it again.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Batch # 280-81-82-83 – sometime between Dec. 18, 2013 and Dec. 20…so about six weeks old.

APPEARANCE: A relatively aggressive pour results in a quickly fading, quarter-inch head. Within 45 seconds it has slipped away, revealing a burnt orange, slightly hazy beer underneath a few wisps of foam on the surface. There is no lacing at all, as in a surprising lack of lacing. It is almost as if the beer is cleaning the glass on the way down (don’t worry, it was already very clean to begin with). There is absolutely zero lacing, kind of impressive.

SMELL: Unmistakably Citra hops on the nose. Grapefruit and lime lead the way with some other tropical fruits darting in and out. This is really a wonderful smelling beer, but as the head fades, the aroma quickly goes with it, leaving just a hint of its former self. Even after agitating it with a swirl a little of it comes back, but not all of it.

TASTE: Plenty of fruit flavors, again, Citra is the big hop, although it seems as though it is not the only one. A generic citrus (blend of lemon, lime, grapefruit maybe?) leads the way with a strong apricot and mango presence. This is like the fruit punch of Double IPAs, but the close belongs to citrus as the grapefruit comes through strong.

MOUTHFEEL: Crisp, lively and exciting. The sparkle is very light, but tickles the tongue in a very pleasing way. Medium in body, leaning towards the lighter side, call it medium rare.

OVERALL: This is a really, really good beer. My only disappointment is with the smell and the head. I just wish they both stuck around a little longer and allowed me to fully enjoy both the sight and smell. While Citra is one of my favorite hops, it can be overwhelming, especially to a new IPA drinker and this was done in a very balanced, approachable way. Delicious.

4.98/5  rDev +15%

This is by far one of the best double IPAs I've ever tasted especially do to the fact it was brewed with citra hops my favorite hops. I had batch 280 and understanding it was more than one month old but I still was in great shape. I'm not too into having my DIPAs super fresh so it worked great for me. The malt on this beer slightly reminded me of Heady Topper but in my opinion this beats the shit out of Heady Topper and Pliny in that matter. Would love to compare this to Kern River Citra (not Noble Ale Works Citra Showers because that brew was a little disappointing for me) Highly recommend this brew if you can get your hands on it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acquired via trade with MattLatuchie. Pours a dark orange with a thick off-white head. Good retention and lacing. The aroma jumps out of the glass - lots of earthy, tropical fruit, citrusy hops with some bready notes. The malt really comes out on the palate with chewy, resinous, bitter hops throughout. Finishes dry with a slight, peppery kick. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Overall, a quality DIPA and great showcase for this very popular hop.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received from Fusebuddy in a very hoppy trade. Consumed on 1/6/14 Batch #280-81-82-83

Pours a golden orange, 1 finger head bubbly head that didnt last long. Smells so good. Orange, Grapefruit, Mango, Pineapple. Sweetness, doesn't smell bitter. The taste is actually bitter though, grapefruit bitter, rind, lemon. This tastes good I'm just curious where the rest of the fruit went that was in the nose. Not very carbonated, thin mouthfeel, goes down easy, leaving a faint bitterness behind. It drinks well for the high ABV, but i was kind of let down by the taste afer the initial aroma.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #280-81-82-83. Pours a hazy, orangish-golden color with a large white head that goes down rather quickly. Scent is extraordinary... very fresh tropical fruits...mango, guava, and pineapple. A hint of melon as well. Just a little bit of citrus, but mostly tropical fruits. Such a nice aroma! Taste is just as it smells... the citra hops are REALLY shining with this beer. I love IPAs that hide the malt profile, and this beer hides it well. Just hops here. Tropical hops and tons of them! Not overly bitter, but just the right amount of bitterness. Actually, it's amazing how light the bitterness is of this beer for not having a malty taste to it. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and juicy. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this beer has something going on. I haven't hear anything about this beer...all I know is it is the real deal. Such great flavors, while keeping the malt profile down for a big DIPA. Wish I could get this locally.

Citra from Pipeworks Brewing Company