Citra - Pipeworks Brewing Company

CitraCitra

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 11-15-2012)

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%

4.76/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Dark. Really dark. Burnt orange. The whole time I was thinking that this was a joke and that it was some sort of imperial amber or red ale. Did I mention this is dark?

S: There's some of that citra smell that we all know and love, and then there's the cereal. If Kellog's made hop cereal, I bet this is what it would smell like. My sense of foreboding about this ninja is increasing...

T: I'll be honest, not good. It's just so damn malty. It's like the first time you do homebrew and you taste the wort and you imagine how this could be a beer but you have to work at it because it's just malt. Sure, there's some citrus and fruit but it's buried DEEP in an underwater malt canyon with no hope of recovery.

M: thick and a little syrupy like you'd expect given the above. Of course it wouldn't matter if the mouthfeel was a full on erotic mouth massage, the mouthfeel can't make up for the taste.

O: I was so excited to try this beer, so excited to finally try some Pipeworks, and I really really wanted to like it. I'm into the Pipeworks "thing": the experimentation, the small batches and the crazy art and so on. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with this beer and very confused about the high rating here. This is unlike any DIPA I've ever had, and not in the good way. I couldn't even finish it. It's just so absurdly malty. DISCLAIMER: it's possible my experience was partly ruined because I drank this with some friends right after drinking a phenomenal citra single hop (Revolution Citra Hero) but even ignoring that this would not ever be a beer I'd want to try again. Ever.

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%