Galaxy Unicorn - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Galaxy UnicornGalaxy Unicorn

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Beer added by: emerge077 on 12-11-2012

Our friends south of the equator really have this hop growing thing figured out and we are ecstatic they do. Without them we couldn't brig you Unicorn Galaxy. We built a platform of malted barley and wheat then atop that we constructed our ode to Galaxy hops. The hop character really shines through with aromas and flavors of tropical fruit, tangerine, citrus, passion fruit and fresh cut grass. Drink early, drink often.
2.95/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle marked as Batch #67 into a Pipeworks Brewing Company branded snifter

Pours a very slightly hazy pale gold with very light orange accents here and there. Bright white two finger fluffy head. Average retention, splotchy lacing. Grapefruit rind, mixed tropical fruit notes, hint of sweet caramel mallt, and wiffs of fairly strong alcohol. Opens with pineapple and passionfruit, a touch of caramel malt midpalate, and then grapefruit rind bitterness that dominates everything else except medicinal alcohol closer to the dry finish. This brew is so intensely bitter that it caused me to wince before I swallowed and it was almost like I was actually chewing on a grapefruit rind. Full, slick body. Looking at the other reviews, I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle or if there is considerable variation between batches #65 and #67. The nearly unbearable bitterness made this brew unenjoyable and almost undrinkable. Certainly not what I was expecting from a Pipeworks IIPA. (996 characters)

Bomber in trade
Slightly hazy, light peach color, thick foamy head
Aroma leads heavily toward citrus
Taste is upfront sweetness, more mild citrus flavors, some dried herbs, a lot of malty notes, and a moderate to strong bitter finish.
Overall, an enjoyable beer that I wouldn't go out of my way to drink again. (311 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -25.3%

batch #67

a: light golden hue, translucent. one finger frothy white head. thin, sticky lacing.

s: tropical, citrus hop explosion (grapefruit, mango, orange, pineapple, tangerine).

t: following on from the nose, tropical/citrusy hops come through at the forefront (primarily pineapple. A malt presence in the background. Finishes with a definite peppery bitterness and this peppery bitterness lingers on into an off aftertaste.

m: medium body & carbonation. finishes slightly dry

o: I'm a big fan of NvU and Citra Ninja. I was looking forward to this one but the peppery bitterness described above is too overpowering in the taste. I see another review of batch 67 mentioning a similar thing regarding the bitterness. I haven't had one from batch #65 for comparison, unfortunately. This one is a bit disappointing, however. (828 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance is golden yellow, with a slight rust/orange hue about it.

Smells fun, if that makes sense. Galaxy hops are a "fun" hop to me and this beer's got it. I don't care if you think that's weird. Citrus, wheat, and cereal.

Uhm, wow, this leaves a nasty medicinal aftertaste, not good.

Mouthfeel, pretty terribad.

Overall, I was immediately shocked at how appalling this beer was to my tastebuds, horribly let down. (422 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with great label art and branded red/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its current 97 rating and the brewery's reputation. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; the label's description calls it a double IPA. Batch # 255 56 57 62. 2013 vintage. 9.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Has a nice (if subdued) creaminess. Nice thickness. Head retention is good for the 9.5% ABV; this easily holds up for 7 minutes, and leaves even consistent lacing as it slowly recedes. This beer has "legs."

The body is less impressive than the head. It's a murky hazy dull peach-orange. The lack if filtration isn't doing it any favors in the appearance department. I don't find any sediment or yeasty particles. Appears adequately carbonated.

I'm pleased with the head and a bit underwhelmed by the body. This isn't a great overall appearance for an imperial IPA, but it's not deeply flawed either. I like the idea of not filtering an imperial IPA, but one downside is the effect that has on the how the beer looks.

Sm: A kiss of onion. Nectary character. A brief hint of soap suggests this may have spent a hair too long in primary. I get some tropical fruit character, which rarely does it for me in an imperial IPA. Mango, pineapple (ugh), and overripe oranges/clementines. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in beer. It leans towards the sweet side, with no obvious naked hop bitterness. Unfortunately, it also has some boozy warmth. I'm hoping that doesn't carry into the flavour profile. There's also your run-of-the-mill floral hop notes and a heavy dose of pale malts, but luckily no obvious caramalt. I'm a bit concerned about the sweetness/bitterness balance, but otherwise nothing jumps out at me as off.

It's a clean aroma; there're no yeasty notes or any off notes. An inoffensive aroma of medium strength. I'm not all that excited based solely on the aroma, but the brewery's reputation has me optimistic.

T: It has some nice touches of nectary hop notes accompanied by some oniony character - which I happen to like. There's some pretty standard floral character in there too. It's pretty much just what I mentioned above for the aroma, with less pineapple and more hop bitterness. Also, the booziness is less pronounced here than it was on the aroma. The fruity character is interesting - mostly tangerine, actually.

I don't get any yeast character or alcohol.

Overall, the overt hop bitterness renders it a bit imbalanced, but it's pretty cohesive throughout and the bitterness is nowhere near as pronounced as it is in most imperial IPAs. There's plenty of flavour here, but I don't know that it's complex for the style. Not the most intricate, subtle, or nuanced imperial IPA, but it does use galaxy hops to good effect.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has some nice creaminess and softness - especially on the open. It is a bit rough and scratchy on the palate though. It has a coating thick feel. It's also a bit warm from the alcohol. It's full bodied and filling. Overall, the mouthfeel suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't seem custom-built just for it. Overcarbonated.

Not oily, gushed, harsh, or astringent.

Dr: More of a sipper than anticipated. I'll kill this alone with ease, but it wasn't the mind-blowing imperial IPA I hoped for. Maybe I'm just not that big on the galaxy hop taste. I'm really glad I got to try this, but it's far from a world class imperial IPA. Pretty good - but not great - work from Pipeworks. Worth trying if you come across it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.

I think the fruity notes were what turned me off to the flavour profile; I just can't stand pineapple notes in my beer, and tropical fruit rarely works well for me in an (imperial) IPA. I'm going to chalk this one up to personal tastes; I'm really looking forward to trying Pipeworks' other brews.

Thanks again, Duff27!

High B- (4,347 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed orange color that's slightly murky with an off white head. Lots of hops in this one, you can smell them as soon as you crack the cap. Awesome hop oils kill the longevity of the head. Not the prettiest beer but still a nice looker.

The nose is pumped up juicy citrus and pine hops. A solid punch of hop aroma with a sweet malt spine holding things together. I can't wait to try this hop bomb.

Flavors of the nose come through and are high octane hops. I do find the citrus notes and pine to conflict with each other but that is hardly a deal breaker. Other notables are juicy fruit, toast and lightly roasted sugars.

A nice tart mouthfeel that has a nice prickly hop bite. A warm finish that also has a toasted sweetness. A great beer and one that I'm happy to have tried. I'll have to keep my eyes out for more pipeworks. (839 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 67

Intense hop aroma. Very grapefruity with slight pine scent. Delicious.

High hop flavor and bitterness that overwhelms any maltiness. Similar to a white grapefruit, if there is to be any fruitiness. Bitterness is lasting and a bit harsh at the end

Medium carbonation renders an overall dry sensation. Smooth alcohol warming.

Overall a decent DIPA. Would be interested in future batches. (398 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle purchased at West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago, IL over Christmas week, unknown bottling date but Batch #"255 56 57 62"; poured into my FFF Teku glass and drank over 1-2 hours

A: 2/3 - golden-orange coloration; low clarity (cannot read or see through) likely 2/2 20% wheat malts; initial frothy/soapy white head subdued into glass lacing with good retention

S: 7/12 - strange experience here - on first pour, I found the aroma to be pungent and catty with lesser pineapple, mango and passion fruit; however, as I continued drinking, these qualities subdued (? warming, my acclimating); slight toasty aroma and no alcohol on the nose

T: 16/20 - highlight of this beer for me - on the anterior tongue, there is a cornucopia of tropical and citrus fruits - again, pineapple, tangerine, passion fruit, Meyer lemon; in the middle of the palate, these flavors evolve and are accompanied by wheat and some alcohol; finishes dry with little aftertaste or alcohol burn

M: 4/5 - moderate body - thick hop oil coating with alcohol; low carbonation

O: 8/10 - albeit I enjoyed this beer much more over time, the initially overpowering Galaxy aroma was too much - like it's Pacific Northwest relative Citra, it can be overdone, and, when so, a pungent catty profile predominates; as a result, I don't agree with many other reviews on this website that this is a world-class DIPA; instead, it's an enjoyable beer but I probably won't be purchasing again and clicking my heels that I bought 2 bottles of Citra Ninja instead of this one on our recent Midwest holiday tour

TOTAL - 38/50 (1,587 characters)

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Batch #255 56 57 62 printed on the label. Another new DIPA to me from the masters at Pipeworks; I'm not sure why this beer is listed under Unicorn Galaxy when the label clearly reads as Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn, but whatever.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a beautiful bright citrusy yellow-orange colored body with one finger of soapy white suds. Much lighter in color than I expected, but it looks pretty damn nice.

S - Smell is of fresh bitter grapefruit hops, pine, white pepper / rye presence, some kind of dark licorice / clove like spiciness, and a touch of creamy soapiness.

T - Taste is of dry bready caramel malts, bitter earthy leafy hops, grapefruit / orange / pine bitterness, clove spiciness & some alcohol warmth. Imbalanced in favor the dry bready malt. I find myself wishing for more citrus. The clove spice is throwing me off a bit also, but it disappears as the beer warms.

M - Goes down smooth and creamy, like most Pipeworks beers. Finish is dry, bready, and bitter. Some alcohol heat lingering.

Overall, it's not bad, but something about this beer is not doing it for me. Too dry and bitter, and not enough fruity citrus for my liking, although that doesn't make it a bad beer. I would gladly take the Pipeworks / 4 Hands Square Grouper over this beer. Glad to have tried it, but I wouldn't want it again.

Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn ---4/5. (1,440 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

This poured out as a clear golden yellow color with a nice foamy white head on top. The retention was nice and the lacing was decent too. The smell of the beer is fruity and sweet with an interesting hop aroma in there too. The taste of the beer is pretty good, nicely balanced malt and hop profiles. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a nice drinkable carbonation level. Overall it's a pretty good brew. Wouldn't mind having it again one day. (445 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

bomber. batch 262 into a snifter.

dark yellow in color, nice looking head. lighter than i expected from a DIPA though. the smell has a lot of grapefruit and apricots..very sweet. the taste is quite sweet from the apricots but the grapefruits do tone it down a bit. im not a fan of overly sweet IPAs but this one isnt too bad. Galaxy hops are prevalent and that is definitely a sweet hop in itself. Extremely hoppy for sure. medium bodied, mild carbonation.

overall a quite good DIPA that is a just a tad too sweet for me. but still, very good. (545 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I poured this into a tulip glass immediately after pulling it from the fridge. The first pour looked extremely flat with the bubbles struggling to break the surface. I let the bomber sit on the counter and poured the rest about an hour later and it had a 1/4" of nice, dense head. It was a considerable turnaround as it warmed. Both times, the color was a murky orange-green hue.

Hops are grassy, apricot, grapefruit. Faint toasted crackers.

Apricot and grapefruit are the dominant notes with some dank. Slightly soapy aftertaste.

Body is slick and full. Carbonation is on the lower side of the spectrum but thankfully not flat like I anticipated from the first pour.

Overall, a very good beer but with some noticeable flaws on the appearance and mouthfeel. I can't help but think I got an exception and will definitely give it another shot and review. (860 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

22 oz bottle from batch #65

Pour: A lightly hazy orange hue with a very moderate head of maybe a finger. Head that did form receded very quickly to a ring along edge of glass.

Smell: Tropical fruits of mango, papaya, pineapple, tangerine, and grapefruit overwhelm the nose. A noticeable malt comes from this beer and a sweet wheat aroma rises to my nose. Reminds me of a caramel coated sugar candy somewhat. Nice!

Taste: Sweet tropical fruits like in the nose with the pineapple, orange and grapefruit first. I am getting a lot of caramel, honey sweetness actually and quite surprised by this. After this the and on the finish some bitterness comes through in the form a grass hop but not overpowering at all. After sipping for a while I am getting some onion that does detract from it a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a fairly sticky feel that gives way to a creamy finish.

Overall: Pipeworks continues to impress me with each of their IPA's and DIPA's that I have had to date. I will try each of these offerings if I am lucky enough to get them. (1,050 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Got in a trade with TheFugitive. 22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 6/26/2014. Pours slightly hazy bright orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of smooth pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, mango, lemon zest, orange peel/rind, floral, grass, pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Outstanding complexity and balance of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with a nice crisp malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth and fairly creamy/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome single hopped DIPA. All around great complexity and balance of juicy citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,575 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1744th Review on BA
Bottle to GI Chalice
22oz

Batch 81
Thanks to KevanB for the gift

App- A very traditional looking DIPA to me. A lot of blending of oranges and yellows with a huge 3 finger head. A wonderful amount of cling. I mean even in a GI chalice this thing was a thing of beauty. Cling and lace for days with a slightly deeper hazy color behind it.

Smell- A nice aromatic beer. A bit of a deeper citrusy hops. A bit tropical with more guava and mango than grapefruit and orange. A good amount of hops and then balanced by just a touch of grassy and herbal malts.

Taste- This was a good DIPA. I liked the balance of the citrus and the bitter hops with a bit of caramel and lime juice. A unique grassy flavor with a bit of butterscotch. A little bit all over the place but it works.

Mouth- A nice a medium bubbly body with a medium and dense citrus laden carbonation. Big amounts of tropical fruits with a nice hoppy bitter balance behind it.

Drink- Damn this was good! 3rd coast is creeping on my WC. Oh wait I am from Chicago. I should love this and I did. (1,070 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours hazy orange. Soapy white head. Some lacing left.

Aroma is awesome. Tropical and fruity. Passion fruit. Mango. Not catty at all.

Taste is big on fruits as well. Tropical, juicy and jammy notes abound. Alcohol well hidden with just a touch on the finish.

Coating mouthfeel but not syrupy. Medium carb.

Really enjoy the Pipeworks IPAs I have had. The galaxy hops provide a nice change of pace. (400 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Well to start, the label art on this beer is ridiculously awesome. Unicorns and rainbows... what more could one want? This pours a slightly cloudy orange with white head. Heavy lacing is left with good head retention. The aroma has a huge ripe melon and mango character with a bit of pine and syrup to back it up. Evidence of strong malt backbone present beneath the strong hop profile. This smells insanely hoppy with a rich malt backbone. The taste starts with waves of citrus, primarily orange. This is followed by more tropical fruits. bits of melon, peach and mango shine through. Then things take a turn for the more bitter side of things. It is at this time that the strong malt backbone shines through. The finish has a heavy hop bitterness which seems to be diffused by the malt. Nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy for style with moderate carbonation. Overall, a delicious DIPA from Pipeworks.! (913 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excited to try this one. Pipeworks has a ton of great offerings, and this one has a lot of hype around it. 22oz bomber, batch 81, poured carefully into a Hopleaf Tulip glass. $10.99/bottle.

Appearance: light orange to golden. 2 fingers of pure white head. After careful decanting, no yeast in the glass and good clarity. Modest lacing, modest retention.

Smell: Over the top with citrus. Lemon, orange, floral, grass, some pine. Doesn't smell overly sweet, malty, or overly alcoholic.

Taste: Follows along the hop profile in the nose pretty well. Lots of orange. 20% wheat beer, tastes like even more. Lots of bittering hops added. A little touch of alcohol is noticeable.

Feel: Crisp, moderately carbonated, smooth, then sticky, and finally dry.

Overall: A really solid wheat-based DIPA. I would enjoy having this again. I probably won't buy it again anytime soon though, price point is pretty high. I had really high expectations, and was hoping this would compare to DIPA hall of fame beers like Pliny and Heady, but it's not at that tier. Still quite good though. (1,071 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz, Batch #81
DFH IPA glass

A: Murky pale orange color. Good carbonation. Good two fingers of slightly off white fluffy head. Sticks around a whole.

S: Lots of grapefruit on the nose. That bitter rind. Big citrus along with it. Very fruity and sweet. Really buries the malt bill. Maybe pull a little wheat sweetness.

T: The cloudy look reminded me of HF or Heady Topper like brews. Up front you get that rush of hop bitterness up front in the tongue. It's that nice bitter grapefruit rind flavor that I smelled. Big fruity hops in this one. Drifts into the mid palate where the sweet wheat malt and caramel meld nicely. The finish is dry and linger hop reisinous flavors.

M: Medium bodied. The wheat definitely adds. (722 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber, batch #s 255 56 57 62, indicating that this is probably two weeks old now. Poured into a wine glass today, 12/6/2013.

Pours a nice caramel-toffee brown body, nice white 1cm head that fades into a thin collar quickly, leaving lots of bubbly lacing on the glass. Same as the beverage goes down.

Smells great. Strong citrus and some intense floral notes abound. There is a nice sweet sharpness as well, possibly from the wheat and malt sweetness. Very strong nose, not necessarily juicy but very hop forward.

Very flavorful beer that has a nice malt backbone that evokes biscuits with a dab of honey and a little caramel. The hoppiness consists of a nice floral flavor along with a nice tropical fruitiness- passion fruit, mango- and a small bit of bitter pine. It's very hoppy and quite bitter.

Medium to full bodied, good carbonation. Feels very thick and resinous on the palate, yet very dry. Quite bitter and full, like drinking a thick bitter syrup, which takes quite a bit away from the beer in my opinion. Bitter floral and pine notes linger.

Very good DIPA that showcases galaxy very well. The balance here is quite good and I especially enjoy the tropical fruit notes, though it is a bit heavy bodied. Recommended if you enjoy strong and heavy bodied DIPAs. (1,281 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Clear, light golden color. Forms a moderate-sized white head that collapses rather quickly, though does still manage to leave a moderate amount of lacing on the way down.

S: There is a bit of a dual nature to the aroma. On the one side, there is orange, mango, clementine, and passion fruit. On the other, the aroma is fairly catty, with something that isn't quite onion, but sort of resembles onion. There is a sweet maltiness in the back ground. That said, the orange/tangerine aroma does dominate over the others.

T: The taste is similar to the aroma, but highlights the fruit much more so than the onion. Very mild sweetness. Orange, grapefruit, candied kumquats, and fruit salad on the front end before turning rather bitter, dry, and earthy. Long, bitter finish with just a faint touch of fusel spice.

M: On the heavier side of medium in body. Aggressive bitterness. Medium carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden.

O: Coming off of Citra Ninja, I had very high expectations for this beer. Unfortunately, they were too high, because even though this beer was not the great one I was expecting, it is still a very good beer. Far better than most. That said, I enjoyed the restrained sweetness and the aggressive bitterness on this one. (1,251 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Batch number 65.

A- Pours a light and cloudy orange color. A half fingers worth of white head quickly fades to some froth along the sides of the glass.

S- This beer smells awesome. I get a huge hit of citrus as soon as the cap is popped. Grapefruit, mango, and orange dominate the smell.

T- Starts off hoppy with an astringent type aftertaste. The citrus hops from the smell carry over into the taste. I also get some piney resin hop notes. Slight bready malts in the backend also.

M- Light to medium bodied. Drinks much easier than one would think for 9.5%. Nicely hopped with a dry finish.

Pipeworks is really doing some good stuff, especially in the realm of DIPAs. I'd pick this one up again. (740 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: light orange color. Low carbonation on the pour and active in the glass while drinking. Light random lacing.

Smell: nice medium bodied bitterness brought by the galaxy hops jumps out. The wheat backbone provides a wonderful base for the tropical fruits of pineapple, mangos, tangerines, and kiwis. Wonderfully balanced.

Taste: wow just bright tropical fruits all over the place. The front is the fruits found in the aroma that flow on to the palate so easily yet seem to explode once there. The fruits just continue to dance on the palate long into the body an finish. Some light earthy bitterness pops up on the finish which adds a needed changeup in the taste.

Mouthfeel: juicy fruits explode on the palate and some hop bitterness but not as much as I expected after the aroma.

Overall: a simply wonderful brew. I love my tropical fruity big ipas so this one is no disappointment. Galaxy hops might be one of my favorites, a wonderful balanced of bitterness gets mixed in too. (997 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 81. Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a tulip.

A - Pours a light goldenrod, with a small half finger of head. Immaculate lacing, like the garter of a seductive mistress.

S - Lots of orange & lemon & grapefruit, with a background of coconut & tropical fruitiness. Mango and guava pay a visit. Pineapple perhaps. Half of a fresh fruit basket.

T - Starts smooth and citrusy, before transitioning to a malted bread character. Booze is minimally present, but the front and back flavor profiles provide outstanding balance.

M - Nothing out of the ordinary here, medium bodied with some nice carbonation.

O - Damn fine beer. It's hard for me to believe that Pipeworks has only been brewing for a little over a year. I'm not sure what I've been doing with my life -- these are all must-buys. I'm loading up the next time I see them at the store. (845 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- Pours a bright caramel with a 2 finger off-white head. Big clumps and bubbles of lacing remain on the glass.

S- Perfect! Big caramel, honey, huge citrus aromas (orange, lemon, pineapple), some pine and light spice notes.

T- Sweet caramel, pineapple, oranges, bitter pine, some onion and spice and more grassy bitterness at the finish.

M- Medium body and carbonation. Starts off a little slick but a nice creaminess comes in after.

O- Pipeworks can do no wrong with their Ninja vs Unicorn series (variants)! Take away a little of the onion spice from the Galactic hops and this would be one of the best DIPA's I have ever had I think. (692 characters)

Galaxy Unicorn from Pipeworks Brewing Company