1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Galaxy Unicorn - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Galaxy UnicornGalaxy Unicorn

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Our friends south of the equator really have this hop growing thing figured out and we are ecstatic they do. Without them we couldn't brig you Unicorn Galaxy. We built a platform of malted barley and wheat then atop that we constructed our ode to Galaxy hops. The hop character really shines through with aromas and flavors of tropical fruit, tangerine, citrus, passion fruit and fresh cut grass. Drink early, drink often.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 12-11-2012)
2.9/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle marked as Batch #67 into a Pipeworks Brewing Company branded snifter

Pours a very slightly hazy pale gold with very light orange accents here and there. Bright white two finger fluffy head. Average retention, splotchy lacing. Grapefruit rind, mixed tropical fruit notes, hint of sweet caramel mallt, and wiffs of fairly strong alcohol. Opens with pineapple and passionfruit, a touch of caramel malt midpalate, and then grapefruit rind bitterness that dominates everything else except medicinal alcohol closer to the dry finish. This brew is so intensely bitter that it caused me to wince before I swallowed and it was almost like I was actually chewing on a grapefruit rind. Full, slick body. Looking at the other reviews, I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle or if there is considerable variation between batches #65 and #67. The nearly unbearable bitterness made this brew unenjoyable and almost undrinkable. Certainly not what I was expecting from a Pipeworks IIPA.

chanokokoro, Dec 20, 2012

MADPolo, Mar 10, 2013

Bomber in trade
Slightly hazy, light peach color, thick foamy head
Aroma leads heavily toward citrus
Taste is upfront sweetness, more mild citrus flavors, some dried herbs, a lot of malty notes, and a moderate to strong bitter finish.
Overall, an enjoyable beer that I wouldn't go out of my way to drink again.

Ready4aHeady, Aug 20, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -29.2%

batch #67

a: light golden hue, translucent. one finger frothy white head. thin, sticky lacing.

s: tropical, citrus hop explosion (grapefruit, mango, orange, pineapple, tangerine).

t: following on from the nose, tropical/citrusy hops come through at the forefront (primarily pineapple. A malt presence in the background. Finishes with a definite peppery bitterness and this peppery bitterness lingers on into an off aftertaste.

m: medium body & carbonation. finishes slightly dry

o: I'm a big fan of NvU and Citra Ninja. I was looking forward to this one but the peppery bitterness described above is too overpowering in the taste. I see another review of batch 67 mentioning a similar thing regarding the bitterness. I haven't had one from batch #65 for comparison, unfortunately. This one is a bit disappointing, however.

Jaycase, Dec 27, 2012
3.24/5  rDev -26%

Mojo9, Aug 18, 2014

GRap, Jul 08, 2014

WolfsbaneBloom, Jan 10, 2013

yourefragile, Jul 18, 2014

deekyn, Apr 02, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance is golden yellow, with a slight rust/orange hue about it.

Smells fun, if that makes sense. Galaxy hops are a "fun" hop to me and this beer's got it. I don't care if you think that's weird. Citrus, wheat, and cereal.

Uhm, wow, this leaves a nasty medicinal aftertaste, not good.

Mouthfeel, pretty terribad.

Overall, I was immediately shocked at how appalling this beer was to my tastebuds, horribly let down.

larryarms847, Jul 03, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with great label art and branded red/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its current 97 rating and the brewery's reputation. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; the label's description calls it a double IPA. Batch # 255 56 57 62. 2013 vintage. 9.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Has a nice (if subdued) creaminess. Nice thickness. Head retention is good for the 9.5% ABV; this easily holds up for 7 minutes, and leaves even consistent lacing as it slowly recedes. This beer has "legs."

The body is less impressive than the head. It's a murky hazy dull peach-orange. The lack if filtration isn't doing it any favors in the appearance department. I don't find any sediment or yeasty particles. Appears adequately carbonated.

I'm pleased with the head and a bit underwhelmed by the body. This isn't a great overall appearance for an imperial IPA, but it's not deeply flawed either. I like the idea of not filtering an imperial IPA, but one downside is the effect that has on the how the beer looks.

Sm: A kiss of onion. Nectary character. A brief hint of soap suggests this may have spent a hair too long in primary. I get some tropical fruit character, which rarely does it for me in an imperial IPA. Mango, pineapple (ugh), and overripe oranges/clementines. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in beer. It leans towards the sweet side, with no obvious naked hop bitterness. Unfortunately, it also has some boozy warmth. I'm hoping that doesn't carry into the flavour profile. There's also your run-of-the-mill floral hop notes and a heavy dose of pale malts, but luckily no obvious caramalt. I'm a bit concerned about the sweetness/bitterness balance, but otherwise nothing jumps out at me as off.

It's a clean aroma; there're no yeasty notes or any off notes. An inoffensive aroma of medium strength. I'm not all that excited based solely on the aroma, but the brewery's reputation has me optimistic.

T: It has some nice touches of nectary hop notes accompanied by some oniony character - which I happen to like. There's some pretty standard floral character in there too. It's pretty much just what I mentioned above for the aroma, with less pineapple and more hop bitterness. Also, the booziness is less pronounced here than it was on the aroma. The fruity character is interesting - mostly tangerine, actually.

I don't get any yeast character or alcohol.

Overall, the overt hop bitterness renders it a bit imbalanced, but it's pretty cohesive throughout and the bitterness is nowhere near as pronounced as it is in most imperial IPAs. There's plenty of flavour here, but I don't know that it's complex for the style. Not the most intricate, subtle, or nuanced imperial IPA, but it does use galaxy hops to good effect.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has some nice creaminess and softness - especially on the open. It is a bit rough and scratchy on the palate though. It has a coating thick feel. It's also a bit warm from the alcohol. It's full bodied and filling. Overall, the mouthfeel suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't seem custom-built just for it. Overcarbonated.

Not oily, gushed, harsh, or astringent.

Dr: More of a sipper than anticipated. I'll kill this alone with ease, but it wasn't the mind-blowing imperial IPA I hoped for. Maybe I'm just not that big on the galaxy hop taste. I'm really glad I got to try this, but it's far from a world class imperial IPA. Pretty good - but not great - work from Pipeworks. Worth trying if you come across it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.

I think the fruity notes were what turned me off to the flavour profile; I just can't stand pineapple notes in my beer, and tropical fruit rarely works well for me in an (imperial) IPA. I'm going to chalk this one up to personal tastes; I'm really looking forward to trying Pipeworks' other brews.

Thanks again, Duff27!

ctrevino, Mar 09, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 67

Intense hop aroma. Very grapefruity with slight pine scent. Delicious.

High hop flavor and bitterness that overwhelms any maltiness. Similar to a white grapefruit, if there is to be any fruitiness. Bitterness is lasting and a bit harsh at the end

Medium carbonation renders an overall dry sensation. Smooth alcohol warming.

Overall a decent DIPA. Would be interested in future batches.

joeseppy, Jan 06, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed orange color that's slightly murky with an off white head. Lots of hops in this one, you can smell them as soon as you crack the cap. Awesome hop oils kill the longevity of the head. Not the prettiest beer but still a nice looker.

The nose is pumped up juicy citrus and pine hops. A solid punch of hop aroma with a sweet malt spine holding things together. I can't wait to try this hop bomb.

Flavors of the nose come through and are high octane hops. I do find the citrus notes and pine to conflict with each other but that is hardly a deal breaker. Other notables are juicy fruit, toast and lightly roasted sugars.

A nice tart mouthfeel that has a nice prickly hop bite. A warm finish that also has a toasted sweetness. A great beer and one that I'm happy to have tried. I'll have to keep my eyes out for more pipeworks.

jbphoto88, Nov 29, 2013