Galaxy Unicorn - Pipeworks Brewing Company

Galaxy UnicornGalaxy Unicorn

Pipeworks Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Our friends south of the equator really have this hop growing thing figured out and we are ecstatic they do. Without them we couldn't brig you Unicorn Galaxy. We built a platform of malted barley and wheat then atop that we constructed our ode to Galaxy hops. The hop character really shines through with aromas and flavors of tropical fruit, tangerine, citrus, passion fruit and fresh cut grass. Drink early, drink often.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 12-11-2012)

Buttermilk, Mar 02, 2014

striker2160, Mar 01, 2014

hollywood_15063, Feb 28, 2014

PHKrames, Feb 24, 2014

dfhhead25, Feb 24, 2014

Mayo2323, Feb 19, 2014

mvdillman, Feb 09, 2014
4.59/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to edmaher, picked this up in a trade.

Pours an opaque straw color with a decent head.

Smells of citrus and pine, like a glass of grapefruit juice with a pinecone to stir it up.

Taste, bitter citrus, grapefruit, blood orange and pine needles at the finish.

Mouthfeel, almost creamy but thick and malty enough to not make it a one note experience.

Love me some Galaxy hops, I'm a huge fan of this beer and would go out of my way for more

tikk, Feb 07, 2014

Kurmaraja, Feb 05, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with great label art and branded red/silver pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its current 97 rating and the brewery's reputation. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; the label's description calls it a double IPA. Batch # 255 56 57 62. 2013 vintage. 9.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Has a nice (if subdued) creaminess. Nice thickness. Head retention is good for the 9.5% ABV; this easily holds up for 7 minutes, and leaves even consistent lacing as it slowly recedes. This beer has "legs."

The body is less impressive than the head. It's a murky hazy dull peach-orange. The lack if filtration isn't doing it any favors in the appearance department. I don't find any sediment or yeasty particles. Appears adequately carbonated.

I'm pleased with the head and a bit underwhelmed by the body. This isn't a great overall appearance for an imperial IPA, but it's not deeply flawed either. I like the idea of not filtering an imperial IPA, but one downside is the effect that has on the how the beer looks.

Sm: A kiss of onion. Nectary character. A brief hint of soap suggests this may have spent a hair too long in primary. I get some tropical fruit character, which rarely does it for me in an imperial IPA. Mango, pineapple (ugh), and overripe oranges/clementines. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in beer. It leans towards the sweet side, with no obvious naked hop bitterness. Unfortunately, it also has some boozy warmth. I'm hoping that doesn't carry into the flavour profile. There's also your run-of-the-mill floral hop notes and a heavy dose of pale malts, but luckily no obvious caramalt. I'm a bit concerned about the sweetness/bitterness balance, but otherwise nothing jumps out at me as off.

It's a clean aroma; there're no yeasty notes or any off notes. An inoffensive aroma of medium strength. I'm not all that excited based solely on the aroma, but the brewery's reputation has me optimistic.

T: It has some nice touches of nectary hop notes accompanied by some oniony character - which I happen to like. There's some pretty standard floral character in there too. It's pretty much just what I mentioned above for the aroma, with less pineapple and more hop bitterness. Also, the booziness is less pronounced here than it was on the aroma. The fruity character is interesting - mostly tangerine, actually.

I don't get any yeast character or alcohol.

Overall, the overt hop bitterness renders it a bit imbalanced, but it's pretty cohesive throughout and the bitterness is nowhere near as pronounced as it is in most imperial IPAs. There's plenty of flavour here, but I don't know that it's complex for the style. Not the most intricate, subtle, or nuanced imperial IPA, but it does use galaxy hops to good effect.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Has some nice creaminess and softness - especially on the open. It is a bit rough and scratchy on the palate though. It has a coating thick feel. It's also a bit warm from the alcohol. It's full bodied and filling. Overall, the mouthfeel suits the flavour profile well in a general sense, but doesn't seem custom-built just for it. Overcarbonated.

Not oily, gushed, harsh, or astringent.

Dr: More of a sipper than anticipated. I'll kill this alone with ease, but it wasn't the mind-blowing imperial IPA I hoped for. Maybe I'm just not that big on the galaxy hop taste. I'm really glad I got to try this, but it's far from a world class imperial IPA. Pretty good - but not great - work from Pipeworks. Worth trying if you come across it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out.

I think the fruity notes were what turned me off to the flavour profile; I just can't stand pineapple notes in my beer, and tropical fruit rarely works well for me in an (imperial) IPA. I'm going to chalk this one up to personal tastes; I'm really looking forward to trying Pipeworks' other brews.

Thanks again, Duff27!