Entire Butt English Porter - Salopian Brewing Company Ltd

Entire Butt English PorterEntire Butt English Porter

Salopian Brewing Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Entire Butt English Porter Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -17%

This beer didn't meet the expectation that I had for it. I love porters and after reading the bottle and being eager this beer just didn't deliver. I had to fight to get a head that just barely coverd the top and there was no retention at all. The color was a nice ruby red when held up to the light. The smell was of a nice malty thickness and I was very excited until I actually tried it. It was good by all means however it just wasn't what I had expected. The taste was very carbonated, (BUTT) there was no head there was a bitter aftertaste that seemed ver dry, and there was a nice chocolate and tofee taste. It said to serve at 58degrees which I did and I thought that it might get better as it warms but it didn't. I just wasn't impressed. I probably wont try this again.

rugger, Aug 02, 2004

harpus, Jul 24, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

I have been feeling an English Porter is in order for awhile now so I thought this one would be a good choice.

Brown bottle, 500ml, best before says f13 102, though the ones may be just hash marks, either way I cannot decipher the code held therein. The beer is very dark with a tiny head in spite of an aggressive pour, also the lacing is nominal. Nothing impressive here.

Smells are full and dark with coffee in the lead. Again I am not impressed. Taste follows suit though the mouthfeel is creamy at first with a pleasant dryness in the finish making it the star of the show. I find the hints of tobacco flavor enticing but not enough to give this beer very high marks.

I am glad to try historical beers and love the idea but this is not stunning really. There is good balance and very nice mouthfeel but I will not likely buy many more at the price.

Slainte.

meeekyh, Nov 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

This is nice example of a porter. All of the 14 malts combine to create a roasty aroma with notes of caramel and milk. When you pour this beer, a huge, light brown fizzy head erupts in your glass and hangs around until you're done but doesn't show any lacing. It's a nice contrast from the very dark brown color of the beer. The beer has a descent flavor that is sweet when it hits the tongue with bitterness and slight acidity at the finish.

Overall, this beer was worth the try and pretty easy to drink for a porter. Porter fans will like this one.

evh883, Sep 19, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

A friend and I tried this beer along with Deep Shaft Stout. Because it made us laugh. And we're cool like that. Pours a really dark brown/black color with little to no head. Very strong aroma - malty, coffee. The flavor was ... coffee. Strong coffee. Maybe a little chocolate, but definately some roasted (coffee) in there. Not bad, but it could use a little something else.

clvand0, Oct 14, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Here's 500ml of good porter, good carbonation, some hops. Very dark and chewy. Pricey - $3.99 but not easy to find in NH - bought in MA.

jdhilt, Mar 05, 2002
3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

Saw this at Discount Liquors and being a big fan of the porter style I figured I had to give it a go. Pours from the 50cl bottle a deep black with crimson highlights and a half inch of bubbly bone white head. Looks good in the glass. Initial aromas of dark fruits, quite vinous actually with an odd sour fruit scent. Hints of roasted coffee, dark malts, grain and cocoa. Something just seems to be a bit off here, I was expecting a richer aroma.

First sip brings a roasted flavor upfront bathed in sour grapes. Toasted grains, cocoa, caramel and coffee all intermingle in the flavor profile. Dark fruits and a glimpse of green hops. Finishes a bit toasty. Not nearly as robustly malty as I was expecting and the odd sourness puts me off a bit.

Mouthfeel is much thinner than I imagined. Goes down smooth with bubbly carbonation but I was expecting a bit more body. Definetly an interesting porter here...I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but I'll have to give this brew another go round and see what it brings next time. For now, I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

orbitalr0x, May 18, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very black porter allowing no light to shine through. Creamy head settles down to a thin slick oftan foam. Very stout-like in appearance. Has a dry roasted malt like aroma with hints of chocolate. Mouthfeel is not quite full but pretty close to a Guiness. Flavor is malty oats and a dry bitter chocolate. This is nearly a stout in my opinion. Not a great one but not all that bad either.

BierReise, Aug 10, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

poured into a pint glass with a big pillowy mocha colored head which faded to a film eventually, left decent lacing which each sip, color was medium brown with heavy ruby tones when held to the light
smell was thinly of roasted malts
taste was thin watery roasted malts which was slightly bitter in the end of the sip
mouthfeel was extremely watery and thin, maybe I'm just used to American and Baltic porters
decent flavors slight bitterness and the thinness made this porter very easy to drink

sliverX, Jan 02, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The color is a deep dark brown almost black with a thin tannish head.
Malty sweet aroma is strong. No hop aroma. All Malty; chocolate, coffee even a hint of vanilla.
Taste is similar to aroma. Not much bitterness. More malty sweetness and a hint of smokiness (salty?). Nice combination of coffee, chocolate roatiness.
Medium body, not much carbonation.
Good example of the style.

BillyB, Nov 29, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

When poured into my glass, this beer had a very small head that quickly diminished. There was no lacing present on the sides of my glass. The hue of this beer is black. The nose is roasted coffee and chocolate. The flavor is strong roasted coffee from start to finish. The mouthfeel is smooth, thin and somewhat watery.

hotstuff, Jul 09, 2003
3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a pint glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a decent 1 finger medium-thick looking tan head with decent retention. Very dark brown in color with next to no carbonation evident. A decent film remains to the end and leaves a bit of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: A decent nose of roasted and smoky barley malt with lots of bitter smelling chocolate and espresso notes. Pretty good.

TASTE: Roasted barley malt again with lots of smoky notes. Some bitter dark chocolate and strong espresso notes coffee notes as well, much like the nose. A strong aftertaste of smoky burnt malt and bitter espresso. Not bad at all, but not quite as bold as the nose had suggested.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. A little light on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes quite dry on the palate. Maybe a bit too astringent, unfortunately. Slightly chalky finish.

OVERALL: A good drinkable session brew. Perhaps a bit too astringent on the finish for some, but definitely an all-round enjoyable brew.

Jeffo, May 11, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

Very dark brown in colour with hints of red. Aromas of coffee and dark chocolate. Lots of roasted barley comes through in the flavor, along with some caramel and a touch of wheat. A bit more watery than I’m used to, but perhaps that’s more in keeping with the traditional style of porter. Solid, but unspectacular.

fisherman34, Aug 04, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a pint glass.

A - deep ruby amber color with a very modest head (poured down the center even) that settles very quickly, very modest retention

S - rich roasted malt with some smokiness noted

T - much like aroma, rich roasted malt flavor with a hint of a smoky burnt character

M - medium-to-light body, moderately low carbonation

D - Overall not a bad porter, but not all that is expected from the style - disappointing based on expectations from other reviews.

scoobybrew, Oct 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

A very dark brown, nearly black and opaque. Has a very small light brown head, but has some lace. The aroma has a malty sweetness with molasses undertones. The flavor gets a good start with some roasted malt character. Then there is a hint of chocolate and coffee just before a nice dry finish.

ybnorml, Feb 10, 2005

Nat1975, Jun 13, 2014

TheBeerAlmanac, Apr 29, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 2.5

I received four 500ml bottles of this porter from a recent case from the beer club.

The beer poured a very dark brown colour with a dark cream coloured head which reduced to a 2mm film, but did show both retention and lacing thereafter.

The smell is quite earthy, dominated by burnt malts, dark chocolate, oats and coffee.

These fragrances continue through to the taste with the malts dominating and the coffee and oaty taste that left a smokey burnt aftertaste.

This felt like a porter to drink, very heavy body. However I like a porter / stout on occasion, but I couldn't take them all night. A nice porter, but not an all nighter for me.

kmacphail, Jan 09, 2009

JAHMUR, Oct 20, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Served to me at the Old Toad.

A- Nice: thick black and sticky. Dirty oil look to it with a ring of big bubbles for a head.

S- Burnt, malty, a little bit of grassy hops, and caramel.

T- Rich, smooth, sweet to start, grassy to end. Definite charred caramel/wood taste. Good porter.

M- Thick, sticky. Creamy and heavy.

D- Nice for dessert on a cold night.

Rudgers73, Nov 08, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown, clear and nearly opaque with ruby highlights. The light tan head remained through the entire glass. Fruity pear/plum aroma, light roasted malts and chocolate. Flavour was also fruity, but with a thin maltiness, some roasted and chocolate. Moderate bitterness. The finish was a bit on the salty side. Medium carbonation with a light body and an overall dryness. Very interesting beer, quite different from other porters. Thanks grub!

DrJay, Jul 04, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from the 16oz bottle into a weizen style glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a very dark, near blood red with a huge head of over four fingers of foam across the top foam is a mocha color and gradually dies down to a fine frosh across the top leaving very ample lacing around the sides. For such a low gravity beer, this is a very impressive appearance.

Smell- Entire butt in olde timey English means "everything but the kitchen sink", and the smell indicates that as well. Ample roasted and chocolaty malts with a very hoppy backbone for an English beer. I'm getting a lot of dark fruits on this beer as well.. Star anise and raisin primarily. The nose on this beer is outstanding.

Taste- There is a very lactic, metallic twinge on this beer that also gives a perception of sourness, but behind it there is a very well crafted beer that I feel must have been past it's prime on the shelf as this one is pretty fresh from buying. It leaves a slight burn on the tongue from a battery acid taste, but there is still a solid grainy dark malted beer in there too. This is a mysterious beer that I wish I had a guaranteed fresh one to go with this one to confirm that there's something wrong with this one.

Mouthfeel- Acidic, metallic, tart, medium full bodied, and medium high in carbonation.

Drinkability- After repeated sips it almost tastes Belgian due to all the off flavors. I think this one was a bad bottle. Unfortunately, I'll have a hard time finding another any time soon.

blakesell, Nov 01, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours to a dark brown with a small amount of off-white foam that dies very quickly to a thin lace. The aroma could really use a boost. It has the chocolate and dark malts, but they are really not jumping out as they should be.

The flavor was lacking for me also. For a robust porter, it was thin and did not have the nice richness I wanted. I expected loads of chocolate with a good roasted coffee flavor in the backround and a load of dark malts. I got a little chocolate and a good combination of dark malts, but it was just too weak. The flavor that was there was great, and if it was kicked up, it would be an absolutely beautiful porter. It just simply needed more to it. I did find a nice hoppy kick at the end which provided it with some complexity and kept me interested.

Maybe this was a bad sample, although I could not find a date on the bottle. It did have all the right ingredients it seems, but I just wanted it to give me more.

ElGuapo, Feb 15, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -8%

Pours a nice deep, deep brown, only hints of cola color coming through at the edges. A nice walnut head which leaves some laceing. A softly malty aroma; biscuts, dark fruit and chocolate. The taste is soft and envelopeing, definately better as it warms. The malty body rolls acrossed the toungue hinting, only hinting quickly at so many things, bread pudding, chocolate, oatmeal, but its all gone in a flash of hop bitterness and its something different on the next swallow. It's smooth and I could easily drink this all night.

templar316, Jul 10, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Package: 50cl, broad-shouldered, crowned, brown bottle. “Best before 12/04/04.” 4.8% ABV. Detailed description of ingredients, brewing, and serving instructions.

Cost: $3.35/bottle at Gary’s

Presentation: Label instructions require chilling a bottle stored at 58º for ½ hour. As even my cellar is more like 50º, I chilled this to 52º, assuming this was close to the goal. It also recommends serving in a Worthington glass, which I don’t possess, but which I found out was like a 12oz. tumbler, which is what I used.

Appearance: Unlike many porters which are very dark brown, this was stout-black; admitting very little light. It generated very little head, mostly large-gauge bubbles. Resolved down to a patchy slick.

Smell: Despite the relatively warm serving temperature, this exhibited only a moderate aroma, mostly of roasted malt and a touch of bittersweet chocolate. Little essence of fruit or sweet malt.

Taste: Perhaps the very elaborate description on the label set my expectations too high, but the symphony of 14 malts and 3 hops I expected did not materialize. This was very heavy on the roasted malt element, making this taste like a thin stout, rather than a rich porter, with the expected muted hop top notes. The label challenges you to see how many one can identify. Well, rest assured, I couldn’t discern 14 of them! My guess is there is too much wheat and roast barley in the mix. I couldn’t detect the subtler fruity, nutty, woody elements I’ve detected in other porters. Finish was short and somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Despite the bottle-conditioning, this was only moderately smooth and velvety. The body was also on the thin side.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer for drinking in quantity, but doesn’t quite justify choosing it over Fullers London Porter or Smuttynose Robust Porter.

I REALLY wanted to love this beer, and was quite taken with the description on the label, but the result doesn’t really justify the hype. I found myself looking for the taste elements I find so easily in other porters. Perhaps I drank this too young (the date promised more than a year of aging).

Backwash: Not a bad beer, but it competes in a tough segment, and promises too much.

Dantes, Dec 01, 2003