Entire Butt English Porter - Salopian Brewing Company Ltd

Entire Butt English PorterEntire Butt English Porter

Salopian Brewing Company Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Entire Butt English Porter Alström Bros
clvand0

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

A friend and I tried this beer along with Deep Shaft Stout. Because it made us laugh. And we're cool like that. Pours a really dark brown/black color with little to no head. Very strong aroma - malty, coffee. The flavor was ... coffee. Strong coffee. Maybe a little chocolate, but definately some roasted (coffee) in there. Not bad, but it could use a little something else.

10-14-2004 18:24:13 | More by clvand0
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

How can one pass up a bottle labeled Entire Butt? This one pours a deep deep brown, just a shade off black wtih no head at all. The nose is a nice light roasted coffee malt. The flavor is the same as the nose, mostly roasted coffee, with just a hint of dark chocolate in there. The flavor is nice because its not too full like a stout, so I know I'm drinking a porter. The beer is just a shade thin for me. Drinkability is nice. It goes down easy and I could definately drink a few entire butts. This is one butt that does me good.

10-13-2004 00:04:38 | More by kmpitz2
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Most unusual, for a porter, that is. Poured like a glass ink. Absolutely black. No head. At all. Nothing. This isn't unusual at all for a porter. What was, however, unusual, was the mouth feel. Extremely thin for a brew of this sort. I like them to be thick and even a bit chewy. North Coast's "Old Rasputin" actually leaves a coating in your mouth which is just delicious. I like that feature in a porter/stout. This stuff is really, really thin. Any how. The smell is good. Damn good. Tons of malt and vanilla extract. I saw where someone else had written "vanilla extract" as well, and i must say I strongly agree. Very nice. The taste is very malty and leaves a dark semi-sweet chocolate after taste. Very nice. With the exception of the disappointingly thin mouthfeel, everything else was very good indeed.

10-10-2004 16:06:36 | More by SilentSabre
gentlebubbles

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

bottle-conditioned - in lieu of best-by date has an inscrutable lot number 04L114

Inky, inky black with a quarter inch of off-white head that dies down.

The aroma lifts out of the glass as I carry it before me and I find myself walking into a scent trail of dark malt with a vinous quality and a bit of vanilla extract.

Now here's the part I've been waiting for. Some of the other reviews mention an odd fruit taste and I thought: finally, I've found a commercial beer that uses Brambling Cross! (not to mention justification for that weird fruit beer I brewed with it.)

More malt up front with a soft chocolate character. Just a hint of hop bite and -- there it is! in the finish--a lingering punchbowl flavor with a curious metallic tinge. As it warms the fruity quality grows stronger, as well as the vinous quality. It's almost like currant cordial. It's an interesting mix, but the BC still gives it a slightly artificial quality.

Slight, prickly fizz with teeny teeny bubbles in a light-bodied beer.

Very cool. Now I want to brew something like it!

09-24-2004 01:21:18 | More by gentlebubbles
rugger

Arkansas

3.23/5  rDev -17%

This beer didn't meet the expectation that I had for it. I love porters and after reading the bottle and being eager this beer just didn't deliver. I had to fight to get a head that just barely coverd the top and there was no retention at all. The color was a nice ruby red when held up to the light. The smell was of a nice malty thickness and I was very excited until I actually tried it. It was good by all means however it just wasn't what I had expected. The taste was very carbonated, (BUTT) there was no head there was a bitter aftertaste that seemed ver dry, and there was a nice chocolate and tofee taste. It said to serve at 58degrees which I did and I thought that it might get better as it warms but it didn't. I just wasn't impressed. I probably wont try this again.

08-02-2004 16:25:09 | More by rugger
cokes

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

I'll forego all the sexualized puns running through my head.

A thick tan head resides atop this blackened amber fluid.
Potent, biting coffee, lush caramel, and dry, brittle toffee.
This is an exercise in roasty malts. Full of tapered espresso, grill residue, charred beef, bitter chocolate, and pipe tobacco ash. Sweetened with minor inflections of caramel and plums. Vaporizes and gets a bit water-logged on the home stretch. The hopped conclusion is tepid, and only hints at herb.
Light bodied and even, perhaps, dilute leaning. Nevertheless, this is a grand ol' quaffer.
Though it's tasty regardless, I wish the multifacited roasty hues would have stayed around longer.

07-14-2004 01:37:26 | More by cokes
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

Yet another free sample I got while speaking to the distributor at Town & Country in West Springfield, MA.

It was a lovely dark brown color, with a rich aroma of roasted malt that had some complexity to it. Too many scents interwoven to pick out much... like trying to pick a single colors out of an impressionist painting.

The taste was of rich roasted coffe and malts... very nice. I enjoyed it.

06-22-2004 04:12:33 | More by connecticutpoet
Guinness4me

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Mmmm...as soothing as a cup of coffee on a cold morning.

The bottle poured like the dark of night with little or no head. The color is opaque with hints of ruby red on the edges.

Highly aromatic, the aroma induces visions of cherry, coffee and malt. Very erotic.

The taste is a virtual potpourri starting with a dark wine taste, transforming to malt and hops and ending with rich coffee. Almost like a coffee candy. I find myself hoping for a caffeine buzz.

The mouthfeel was robust and comfortable and is very drinkable. Bravo.

05-31-2004 17:17:50 | More by Guinness4me
irishmoss

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours out is makes a noticeable glug glug sound from the shape of the bottle. The label says best before 12-04-04. This pours a jet black that's opaque as can be, not even any colors around the edges when held up to the light. Nice thick billowing tan head, about a finger thick and is falls to nice covering with dark carbonation circles scattered about with foam around them, like atolls. The aroma is sweet caramel, chocolate covered cherries, and plums; there seems to be a lot going on here. The taste is dark roasted malts and coffee, with some light fruits. The mouth feel is very thin and surprisingly light, which makes it pretty drinkable. Not bad, first English porter, not bad at all very smooth taste, that's very well blended.

05-14-2004 05:31:53 | More by irishmoss
GuinnessSmurf

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Alright, I'll admit it. The name of the beer got my attention. Then I flipped it over and read that it contained 14 different malts and 3 different kinds of hops. So I figured I had to try it.

Smell: Sweet aroma. Hints of toffee and fruit (plum, grape).

Appearance: Look is dark brown (almost black) with a ruby glow down in the bottom of the glass. Also some sediment floating down there in the glass.

Taste: I really wanted to like this beer - but its only a lukewarm experience. The taste is just too conflicting - all 14 malts were working my tongue but not one distinguished itself and gave me a real...taste! The after taste is very brief. The flavor itself is very forgettable.

In summary, the carbonation and highly malted nature of this beer accomplished only the goal of heartburn and indigestion, making me feel like an entire butt for buying it.

05-13-2004 16:13:20 | More by GuinnessSmurf
oberon

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Pours a deep brown not quite black with amber tones near the bottem of my pint glass,loved the aroma fruity and woody notes not much chocolate but juicy fruit.I was suprised at the size of the head on this one.Taste has a variety of flavors fruit and bitter chocolate hit right away with a big earthy finish wich was nice.Salopian knew what they were doing here great beer will buy again,highly recommended.

05-08-2004 21:35:57 | More by oberon
Billolick

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Chubby bottle, pours very dark brown, strong nose of bready yeast, and sweet malts. Low carbonation, left some nice lacing. One taste tells you this is a welll crafted, highly flavorful English Porter. Chocolate, coffee notes also a hint of vanilla. Fairly light bodied. Smooth and drinkable, fine stuff, seek and enjoy.

03-31-2004 11:54:45 | More by Billolick
kmo1030

3.93/5  rDev +1%

black with slight ruby coloring when held up to the light. no head at all. was there a leak in my bottle? no wait i see fine little bubbles rising in the glass. chocolate, coffe, maltiness dominate the smell. chocolate, coffee, a not quite smokey flavor maybe some sort of wood, a rich prune/grape flavor backing up the coffee and chocolate. ok body, but so friggin thin for the flavor. i would also like to see a *little more carbonation, it's nearly flat. i'm pretty impressed mostly with the taste, but it's not without it's imperfections.

03-26-2004 22:16:28 | More by kmo1030
masterbruewer

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Dark black with minimal white head, but I forgot to rinse the glass properly so detergent may have interfered.

The smell is sweet and fruity, reminiscent of grape Kool Aid (in a good way), with a bit of a coffee scent as well and some spices.

The flavor is sharp, but not bitter, and complex, with a fruity background, almost like a red wine, but faint. Theres also some coffee flavor and spice. A nutty flavor creeps in as the beer warms. No noticeable hops. A very nice mix.

The mouthfeel is smooth, almost silky, no noticeable carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. Smooth but strong, very tasty.

02-05-2004 01:42:48 | More by masterbruewer
NJpadreFan

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Entire Butt English Porter.

I swear English beers are the world's finest!

Appearance- dark almost black. If you hold it up to a light it's actually dark ruby red. No head!? Just some big ole' bubbles in the corner of my glass.

Smell- like chocolate and coffee bean. Some ash. Smells good.

Taste- slighty watery but that's good. ( not cloying at all!) Ashy, nice roast to it. a very light crisp bitterness that appears in the tail end of your sip.

Overall- a very good Porter, if not 1 of the best I've had to date!

02-04-2004 22:04:54 | More by NJpadreFan
Chsyhkr

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

The label says this beer is made from 14 different malts. There is quite allot to taste her. At this gravity level, 4.8% abv, it is about all you can expect. Wonderful complex malt aromas, slight hop flavor and taste with a nice dry finish. Dryer than I would like in this type of beer. Malt stands out, but not too much with just enough hops, mostly bittering, to keep things in line.

A historic style porter like this should be stronger and more complex. Bump the gravity to 1.060 and you would have a winner.

For the typical Porter drinker this is a winner.

Enjoy!

01-28-2004 21:25:39 | More by Chsyhkr
WaltTrombone

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

My kids (7 & 10) got a big kick out the name of this beer. I'll admit to buying it mostly because of the name myself, plus my affinity for English beer. The label had a best before date of 12-4-04. I'm assuming that they mean December 4th, not April 12th, as the label had all the usual US legal gobbledygook. In any case, still way within the freshness date. It's probably best to drink this fresh, and not to cellar it, because, even though it's bottle conditioned, the ABV is only 4.8%, and there's not much hoppiness (which I'll get to in a minute.)

It poured with a black body, and a proud, creamy head, almost nitro-like in its appearance. Aromas were of chocolate, coffee, currant. Tastes were chocolate, coffee, toffee, butterscotch, currant, malt, and a faint fleeting glimpse of lemon. The label says that 14 different malts were used, and I'd believe it! No hops were mentioned. I'm sure they're in there, but you'd be hard-pressed to find them. Definitely a beer for malt mavens.

Mouthfeel was creamy smooth, reminded me of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. The finish was coffee and sweet malt.

An amazingly complex beer for only 4.8% ABV. You could think of this as a session porter, but I think the complexity would overwhelm your tongue. I'd love to see what this brewery would do with an Imperial Stout!

01-07-2004 15:23:12 | More by WaltTrombone
Dantes

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Package: 50cl, broad-shouldered, crowned, brown bottle. “Best before 12/04/04.” 4.8% ABV. Detailed description of ingredients, brewing, and serving instructions.

Cost: $3.35/bottle at Gary’s

Presentation: Label instructions require chilling a bottle stored at 58º for ½ hour. As even my cellar is more like 50º, I chilled this to 52º, assuming this was close to the goal. It also recommends serving in a Worthington glass, which I don’t possess, but which I found out was like a 12oz. tumbler, which is what I used.

Appearance: Unlike many porters which are very dark brown, this was stout-black; admitting very little light. It generated very little head, mostly large-gauge bubbles. Resolved down to a patchy slick.

Smell: Despite the relatively warm serving temperature, this exhibited only a moderate aroma, mostly of roasted malt and a touch of bittersweet chocolate. Little essence of fruit or sweet malt.

Taste: Perhaps the very elaborate description on the label set my expectations too high, but the symphony of 14 malts and 3 hops I expected did not materialize. This was very heavy on the roasted malt element, making this taste like a thin stout, rather than a rich porter, with the expected muted hop top notes. The label challenges you to see how many one can identify. Well, rest assured, I couldn’t discern 14 of them! My guess is there is too much wheat and roast barley in the mix. I couldn’t detect the subtler fruity, nutty, woody elements I’ve detected in other porters. Finish was short and somewhat bitter.

Mouthfeel: Despite the bottle-conditioning, this was only moderately smooth and velvety. The body was also on the thin side.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer for drinking in quantity, but doesn’t quite justify choosing it over Fullers London Porter or Smuttynose Robust Porter.

I REALLY wanted to love this beer, and was quite taken with the description on the label, but the result doesn’t really justify the hype. I found myself looking for the taste elements I find so easily in other porters. Perhaps I drank this too young (the date promised more than a year of aging).

Backwash: Not a bad beer, but it competes in a tough segment, and promises too much.

12-01-2003 23:13:22 | More by Dantes
mschofield

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

Dark brown almost black, light brown head, a little sediment.
Varied malty smell, coffee and chocolate.
A high cocoa dark chocolate taste - like good Belgian bitter chocolate. The bitterness blends in and feels like it is coming from the chocolate - very nicely done. A lot of dark flavors coffee,caramel- a roasted aspect, a little oat in there as well.
Smooth and very full. I wish I bought more than one

11-20-2003 16:31:59 | More by mschofield
moulefrite

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great Porter! Deeeep Chestnut in color with a tad of amber around the rim. Fairly decent head and decent lace. Aromas are beautiful with coffee, nutmeg and roasted chocolate malt. Medium bodied offering that tangy quality found in the first cup of coffee of the day. Waves of bitter chocolate come in to play as the crisp, tangy coffee notes subside. Te beer finishes long and memorable. A must try, and my next mate with rib eye.

11-05-2003 02:50:28 | More by moulefrite
marc77

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Deep bister, with brilliant crimson flashes when held to light. Head recedes readily into a spotty, buff layer. Sparse lace trails. Combination of chocolate malt and mellow fruity esters lend a stately impression of lightly sweet, cocoa dusted fig in aroma. Softly woody hops and black patent provide an earthy and carbonaceous contrast, respectively. Pleasant diacetyl surfaces as it breathes. Understated and welcoming aromawise. Brusque wash of roasted grain bitterness initially in flavor yields to balanced, judicious suggestions of light toffee, butterscotch and dry baker's chocolate. Gentle fruity esters of a prune like nature and tracely tart, treacle notes surface mid palate. Expectedly lightly bodied overall considering the gravity, but firmly dextrinous in mouthfeel. Biscuit like malt couples with diacetyl late, facilitating an agreeable cookie dough impression. Protracted finish of smoky black patent hints and cleanly singed, nutty grain. A delightful, well rounded brew, that exhibits a simple balance of roasted grain character, subtle esters and residual sweetness. Soft on the palate and quite flavorful. Exceptionally drinkable.

10-24-2003 09:49:20 | More by marc77
Brent

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Many malts added up to a unique flavor profile. As noted on the bottle, no hopping was evident. Instead, the beer offered up an interesting vinious aspect. Up front mildly roasted coffee flavors with some very mild charcoal, followed by some acidic sourness and sour cherry flavors, almost like an oud bruin. Resolved with a dry finish. Unlike any porter I've had before. Not something I would tag as a session ale, but an interesting diversion.

09-02-2003 22:29:57 | More by Brent
sponberg

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

Deep, dark russet brown with a light, tan-cream colored head with laciness that winds down the glass. A very rich aroma - coffee, toffee, slight roastiness. This is gonna be good...

Oh yeah it is!! What a big ass body on this one - lots of dark round maltiness, hits of coffee, toffee and cocoa, an oatmeally (like a bitter chocolate haystack no-bake cookie) creaminess and just enough smokiness to tie it together. Some faint latent hoppiness in the finish, just enough to let you know that a hop was tossed in the kettle. The word "rich" keeps coming back into my head again and again. Just a handful of roasted malt shy of a sweet stout IMO. As is, a damned fine porter that will find itself in my pint glass quite often if I have anything to say about it.

08-30-2003 02:42:26 | More by sponberg
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this on tap at Redbones. Poured very dark with a nice off white creamy head that left a beautiful lace. The smell was sweet with hints of coffee. The taste was much more powerful. Crisp and clean with notes of coffee, toffee and a little bit of chocolate. The taste intensifies at the end and is very enjoyable. I got a hint of some smoke? Not sure. Overall I enjoyed this a lot! I hope this is still on tap on Friday when I go back.

08-14-2003 00:34:12 | More by CharlesRiver
BierReise

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very black porter allowing no light to shine through. Creamy head settles down to a thin slick oftan foam. Very stout-like in appearance. Has a dry roasted malt like aroma with hints of chocolate. Mouthfeel is not quite full but pretty close to a Guiness. Flavor is malty oats and a dry bitter chocolate. This is nearly a stout in my opinion. Not a great one but not all that bad either.

08-10-2003 00:01:33 | More by BierReise