Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout) - Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co

Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout)Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout)

Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co visit their website
Texas, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: champ103 on 02-20-2012)
Reviews by MaddDogg84:

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

for #TBS27 "Christmas in July". I'm generally not a huge fan of spiced/christmas beers, but I've been holding on to this one for a little less than a yr, so why not. Poured from bottle into HF signature glass. Pours a nearly pitch black color- decent thickness. Tan/Brown head gives an initial 2-3 fingers of head and then disperses pretty quickly. It remains only around the edges of the glass after the pour. I'm wondering if this was bottle conditioned, but betting it was not based on the appearance and the head. Smell- gingerbread. I wish I had a better way to describe it, but that's exactly what I get on the aroma. That, and maybe some chocolate (milk choc). The spices aren't too in your face (they might have been when this was fresh, I don't know- never had it fresh), but some all-spice, cinnamon, maybe nutmeg is there. Taste- a milky chocolate start- very light mouthfeel now that it's on my tongue. Some of the spices bounce off my tongue- I do get all-spice and cinnamon. Not a lot of sweetness- kind of surprises me for the abv. I actually might have enjoyed a little more to balance out the nearly distracting spice presence (but once again, not a spiced beer guy). Carbonation helps finish this a little dry- I get no real roasty malt qualities that I might have also enjoyed. For what it is, this is a decent spiced stout, but it's a one-off for me.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

pours black, spicy scent, nice umber head, very tasty, lotta flavor.. substantial mouthfeel and body, lots of spice, cinnamon, ginger, and slight chocolate. The bottle I'm enjoying is from the batch released July 2013. I had this on tap last year and it seemed even better. If you've had St Arnold Pumkinator or Sam Adams Merry Mischief, you know what you're getting into, almost interchangable, but if pressed I'd pick this over Mischief, the ginger isn't as piercing. Maybe even a bit tastier than Pumkinator (especially on tap), but at the steep 14+ bomber price, I'll go wif Ahnold. can't wait to see what happens when they start barrel aging this stuff (you know they will)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

2.43/5  rDev -37.4%

Pours out thick and black with no head. Smells big on brown sugar, spices (esp. ginger and cinnamon), and a bit of roast. Taste is VERY sweet, kind of like molasses. Lots of spice, and a good bit of burnt malt. Sugary. Feels flat and thick in the mouth. Sticky. Not a very well made spiced stout.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%