2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buffalo Sunset - Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co

Buffalo Sunset
No picture uploaded.

Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: Ford on 02-09-2013)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 30 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
XicanoBeerRun

4.28/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this a couple of months back and it was fantastic. The balance of hops and coffee was impeccable. It was dark in color, but the mouth feel was not dense. I am not a huge fan of dark IPAs but I enjoyed this because it was not too malty. I think the darkness came from the coffee rather than a lot of malt. The hops were fresh and punched me in my face. If you do not like coffee, then do not try this.

This was unique and I still crave it (although the Stone coffee IPA gave me my fix more recently). I hope these guys do this one again.

I’ll have another.

05-30-2013 18:52:00 | More by XicanoBeerRun
kbenson13

1.55/5  rDev -59.4%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

This is supposed to be a black IPA with coffee. If there's an IPA in there somewhere, I couldn't find it behind the overpowering taste of coffee grinds. If you love coffee, and especially coffee grinds, then this beer will be for you. If not, stay clear.

I like a good coffee porter or stout. Don't get me wrong. This doesn't taste like that at all. There's no coffee or chocolate notes. It's just massively overpowering coffee grinds.

This was a huge disappointment for me.

Your mileage may vary.

02-18-2013 15:24:18 | More by kbenson13
Slawre89

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had some on tap at the brewery. It is a big strong beer with a very roasty coffee bean taste. The hops are there but its pretty balanced. Has a nice warm alcohol finish. Not really a black IPA. Tastes more like an imperial coffee stout. If youre in Houston and you like big roasty beers this is a must have!

02-16-2013 19:08:03 | More by Slawre89
champ103

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

On tap at Hay Merchant

A: Pours a dark black, with light ruby around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and recedes after a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: At first whiff, I had to take a step back. Bitter, acrid, burnt coffee is so over powering. Nothing else for balance at all. It is like bad day old coffee. Which makes the nose pretty unpleasant.
T: The taste is no different, maybe not as intense. Though still just unpleasant bitter, burnt, and acrid day old coffee. Is this suppose to be an IPA, or a crappy coffee porter? Either way, not good.
M/D: A medium body and thin carbonation. Thin and watery. Just all around week IMO. Not easy or enjoyable to drink in any way shape or form.

First off, what the hell is the point of calling this any kind of IPA? This is a coffee porter, no matter which way you slice it. Second, even as a coffee porter this is really sub par. Just to bitter, acrid, and burnt. Not good.

02-16-2013 02:10:54 | More by champ103
Ford

4.88/5  rDev +27.7%

This one is really different.. from the description it seems to be a double black IPA.. with coffee...

All I know is it doesn't really taste much like a double IPA to me.. but it is fantastic... this instantly became one of my favorite beers... it is almost black in color.. all sorts of great coffee smells.... just delicious.

I marked it as a double IPA.. but if that needs to change.. someone go for it... on another site it is listed as a black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale...

All I know is it is really good.. and I hope I heard right.. it seems it is going to go year round..

02-09-2013 23:36:11 | More by Ford